Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1344481 - 01/09/10 02:42 AM Roland DP 990 anything better?
Skylar Offline

Hi there,

I am looking at the Roland DP 990. For the price ($2100)is there anything better? What about the Roland F-110? I am willing to spend up to $2000. I want the best in features, touch and sound for that price. And I prefer a more modern design than traditional. I like the Kawai CE 200, but the design is boring. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Skylar (01/09/10 02:43 AM)

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1344539 - 01/09/10 06:40 AM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
If you like the more modern/slim look you are a bit limited in choice. At a lower price you could check out Casio PX-830 in polished black...has a very nice look in my opinion but the Roland is probably the better instrument. The slimmer/sleeker Yamahas are out of your price range.

Good luck

Steve

#1344545 - 01/09/10 06:56 AM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: EssBrace]
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
If your looking for a compact piano check out the Kawai CL-35, the touch is great, the nearest I found to the touch of an acoustic, the sound is good, given the restriction on speaker size, the only draw back IMO is ....no lid = dust. The CL-35 sells in the UK for around £700 to £800.

#1345647 - 01/10/10 12:09 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: crusadar]
viledinnist Offline

Loc: France
I played a Kawai CL-35 a few months ago, it had a reasonable sound, but wasn't any where near up to my requirements for a decent, sensibly priced compact digital.

I took delivery of a new black Roland F-110 a few days ago. I'm very impressed and very happy with my choice, particularly as I made the decision only on the limited video reviews I found on Youtube and some comments about possible reliability questions of my original choice, the Casio PX830.

The Roland has a good piano sound, with a fair degree of tweakability. It doesn't have that odd artificial after-'twang' I've always noticed and disliked on the cheaper Yamahas. It has the advantage - if you need it, of lots of different voices, an incredible set of 65 demonstration tracks ( for those who want just to listen to it ). You can play duets, cheat by recording one hand (with both hands ) and then recording over it the other hand, again using both hands - great for difficult accompaniments ! It has a very well designed lid and music rest that actually works, the construction is solid and the finish is excellent and very stylish. The touch is good and positive, perhaps with a slight bounce back, but not a real problem, and again it's tweakable. It's not an acoustic, for that I have my 'real' grand.. but for the price I think it's well worth the money and is going to be a most useful addition to the household.

Most of all it's well up to being useable for accompaniments when I am asked to play violin ( I am a professional violinist) for more informal occasions. The speakers may only be 12watts per channel, but they're powerful and loud and don't seem to distort. I would recommend it as a piano.

Edited by viledinnist (01/10/10 12:11 PM)

#1346390 - 01/11/10 12:36 AM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
10fingers Offline

Loc: CA
Hi Skylar,

I have been looking for two months for a DP, and am fairly settled on the DP990. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of Yamaha scoring a hit with the CP5, which promises some advantages with their new modeling/sampling hybrid approach. The F110 has the same technology in the sound engine as the DP990, and the lighter PHA alpha II action. So if you prefer a lighter action, you may want to check it out. I believe the speaker system on the DP990 is a little more butch, but this will matter only if you are not planning to feed it through a sound system.

Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you end up going with.

Jonathan

#1346403 - 01/11/10 01:00 AM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: 10fingers]
Kawai James Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I rather like the DP990 - it's a great looking instrument, and sounds pretty good too.

One thing though, and perhaps it's just me being clutz, however I found that I kept knocking the sound selection buttons while playing the bass notes. It's probably not a deal-breaker, but just something I thought I should mention.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1346443 - 01/11/10 02:26 AM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Kawai James]
SnowTown Offline

You can get the rd700gx (which has ivory feel key) at a cheaper price (~$1800).

I would've gotten the 990R (same as the 990 but with ivory key and glossy finish), but it just cost way too much at around $800 more than the rd700gx.

#1346945 - 01/11/10 04:47 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: viledinnist]
crusadar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Middle England
Originally Posted By: viledinnist
perhaps with a slight bounce back,

I find the key touch on the F110 "rubbery" like my Roland HP-101e, the keys on the DP-990 seem to bottom out, come to a hard full stop. However, I'd go with the DP-990 simply because it has a lid, it is the most expensive of the bunch though, if only the CL-35 had a lid.

#1346981 - 01/11/10 05:27 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
Originally Posted By: Skylar
Hi there,

I am looking at the Roland DP 990. For the price ($2100)is there anything better? What about the Roland F-110? I am willing to spend up to $2000.

Have you looked at the Yamaha line? It is easy to find comparable quaity DP for $1,200. Any of the Yamaha line that is based on the "GH" key action is comparable. The P155 or YDP223 are worth looking at. Both are well under your limit.

Quote:
..key touch on the F110 "rubbery" like my Roland HP-101e, the keys on the DP-990 seem to bottom out, come to a hard full stop. However, I'd go with the DP-990 simply because it has a lid,

I agree about the key touch. I don't like Roland's "Alpha II" keys and think Yamaha's GH is better. I think the PHA II key action as used with the dp900 is beter then the GH but then many people complain about the hard bottom, I did not notice it. You really do need to try both

A lid seems like a cosmetic feature that adds quite a lot to the price. If the budget is limited, I think best tospend the money on key touch and sound.

Edited by ChrisA (01/11/10 05:34 PM)

#1348024 - 01/12/10 07:44 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: ChrisA]
Skylar Offline

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I will consider the Roland F-110, the Kawai CN32 and the Casio PX 830. I'm taking my son out on Monday to try some out. The piano is for him (11 yrs old) and he plays classical music. He now plays on a Kawai acoustic upright, but he wants to start composing and using some technology with his music and since the acoustic is a rental and cost me a fortune, I have decided to get a DP to be more economical without sacrificing too much of the authentic sound and touch.

I will also consider the Yamaha CLP 330 in Black.

#1352986 - 01/18/10 09:23 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
Skylar Offline

SO my son and I played the Kawai CN32, the Yamaha CLP330 and a Roland HP 203. He likes the Yamaha best. We still haven't been able to find a Roland DP 990 or F-110 to try before we buy. The Roland DP 990 offers the twin piano mode which would be useful in his lessons. The Yamaha doesnt offer that.

Does anyone know where a Roland DP 990 may be found in the Chicagoland area? If I am going to spend $2000 for a Yamaha CLP 330, I would prefer to tryout the DP 990 because it has more features.

thanks for any advice...

Edited by Skylar (01/18/10 09:24 PM)

#1353004 - 01/18/10 09:52 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
setchman Offline

Skylar,

If you can't find one closer and you and your son are up for a road trip you might be able to play one up at Kraft Music. They're located on the southern most part of Milwaukee County and, just as a reference, it would be a little over an hours drive if you were starting from O'hare. They're just a few minutes west of I-94.

I've bought a number of different pianos from them over the years and have had a great experience with them each time.

Hopefully, you can find one closer but it's an option for you if you really need to play one first. Just call them first and see if they have one on the floor.

http://kraftmusic.com/catalog/digitalpianos/homepianos/index.asp?brand=8

Edited by setchman (01/18/10 09:57 PM)

#1353018 - 01/18/10 10:21 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: setchman]
Skylar Offline

Thanks Setchman,

I think it's worth the trip before I spend $2K.

#1420196 - 04/19/10 06:59 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I test played a DP990 today in the UK at a store where they are on offer. Absolutely loved the keyboard action. I nearly bought it just on that. The sound was great too, using speakers and headphones running through a few pieces I can play.

Until - running through scales, I played the very top octave - the final few notes F to top C were a dead clunk. I thought it must be a defect so I tried another one in the store. Same thing. I still couldn't believe it, must be my ears, but then compared it to a HP305 and Casio PX330 and they sounded fine.

I'll probably never learn or play a piece that needs that top octave (?), and I suppose I could use the lovely keyboard action with a software piano sound, but I left the store disappointed and empty handed.

#1420230 - 04/19/10 08:04 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: spanishbuddha]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
What do you mean by "deal clunk"?
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1421115 - 04/21/10 07:35 AM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Skylar]
pianozuki Offline

Loc: Bellevue WA, USA
The Spring 2010 issue of Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer, there is an article that may be of interest in that it mentions the DP-990 and compares it with the Yamaha CLP-320 and 4 others.

The article is "What Can I Buy for $1,995?", and can be read here.

#1421477 - 04/21/10 05:13 PM Re: Roland DP 990 anything better? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Melodialworks Music
What do you mean by "deal clunk"?

There's no pitch tone. It's like a filter has taken out the high frequencies/harmonics. All you get is a wooden thunk/clunk. Best I can advise is that you listen for yourself AND compare to a different DP like I did. I looked at the DPBSD project but couldn't spot a review for it or samples.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
150 registered (alfredo capurso, Adam Coleman, accordeur, 54 invisible), 1580 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153613 Topics
2251371 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Worth buying a new digital piano as a controller?
by slickvguy
04/20/14 05:49 PM
Video clip for classical music?
by Nikolas
04/20/14 05:43 PM
Home speakers for RD700NX: need help!
by PoleStar
04/20/14 05:32 PM
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission