2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
B
John v.d.Brook,

Hmmm. So while you were living in Germany you found some Germans that were having a problem with other Europeans. I can't quite put my finger on it but that somehow sounds familiar.

Biff

Last edited by Biff Baxter; 04/21/10 07:02 PM.

Bloviator of Platitudes
Casio CDP-100
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Look, I don't like cheap shots at 'Poland' (in quotes, even). Heck, my wife is Polish! But I'm also detecting the PC police out in force. Biff, your comments to John are ad hominem in the extreme. In my book they are moderator bait.

Groups can have characteristics. A flood of people moving into new circumstances can indeed cause some turmoil if the behavioral norms of the two groups differ. I don't know the facts here, but John does indeed have personal experience of behavior that most of us 'Americans' would find over the line. Cruising the recitals of other teachers would qualify, in my book. I would not blithely categorize all eastern Europeans as unethical poachers because of this, but I would be prepared to believe that it might (accent on might) be a more frequent approach in a new group moving into new territory. To say that this is simply impossible smacks of political ideology more than anything else.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
How many people from this group of people have been known to cruise recitals for this purpose? Considering it said 'a teacher' I'm guessing the answer is one. Hardly a basis for such a sweeping generalisation. Some trends are indeed born out by statistics. But one recorded instance is hardly much of a pool of data. Are we going to make the same generalisations about others who are also male, those who have similar dress sense and those who have the same penis length as the particular offender?

B
B
Piano*Dad,

John v.d.Brook said that Eastern Europeans have lower ethical standards and backgrounds that are relatively OK with stealing. Give me a break. I'm not remotely PC.

My subsequent attacks on him were absolutely personal. He is ******* offensive.

That's an IQ test. What's more offensive? Me insinuating swearing or him defaming Eastern Europeans?

Biff

Last edited by Ken Knapp; 04/21/10 07:42 PM. Reason: remove reference to vulgarity.

Bloviator of Platitudes
Casio CDP-100
N
N
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Biff, your comments to John are ad hominem in the extreme. In my book they are moderator bait.

+1. And I'm not going to apologize this time. I have seen enough. What happens to respectful disagreements? I admire John for taking the bullet and yet remain calm and collected; not bring himself down to your degrading, name calling level.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Biff,

Back off. You are putting words in John's mouth.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Momentary teaching break -

Biff, if you reread my post, you'll note I said different, not lower. Those are your words, not mine.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
N
N
Swearing in public, even vobally isn't civil, much less written. Now I know who's offensive to this entire thread if not the whole teacher forum.

Nguyen - Student Pianist
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
"Different" enough to accomodate stealing? I don't think that's a much less weighty slur against Eastern Europeans. Perhaps a "different" slur, rather than a lesser one?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dark Dragon,
You were smart to wait before reacting impulsively. It's better to avoid burning bridges when we can. I had a previous teacher who was very angry when I transferred to a new one and impulsively said very negative things about my new teacher. However, circumstances came up in such a way that it would not be in his best interests to alienate her. He called my parents to ask them not to reveal anything he had said about her and to mend bridges if we had. Luckily for him, we are not the gossiping type and nothing had been said. Since you have a good rapport with your student, it may be possible to keep her if you handle the situation correctly.

Perhaps you can start by addressing some reasonable concerns with the parent (e.g. I don't want to confuse her having her hear conflicting methods because every teacher has an individual way of teaching piano) and asking whether you could have the new teacher's contact information. It's within your rights to refuse to teach the student if they don't comply, but you don't own the student and you cannot force her to take lessons exclusively from you. Her dad may well choose the other teacher. In that case, cut your losses and move on.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Indeed. How would all the male teachers in this group feel if they were put out of work, as a result of the fact that virtually all paedophiles are male? That's certainly easy to prove with statistics. So, would you like to be judged by such a generalisation about male teachers being overwhelmingly more likely to be paedophiles than any female alternatives (probably at least 100 to 1000 times more so. heck, I'm actually just guessing, but this is a generalisation- so who cares about something as unimportant as accuracy!)? If not, I certainly don't see any place for judging Eastern Europeans on equivalent generalisations or speculating along the lines of "yeah, if he's one of them Polish lot then I bet he approached the Dad to nick your student- after all that's what them lot do". I didn't exaggerate that vastly beyond the original comment...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
"Different" enough to accomodate stealing? I don't think that's a much less weighty slur against Eastern Europeans. Perhaps a "different" slur, rather than a lesser one?

"Different" in that they do not view it as stealing. It may be the way they naturally do business and would think nothing of someone else doing it to them.

But in our culture we view it as stealing. I would venture a guess that if they saw it through our eyes they would not engage in the practice.

You say potAto and I say potAHto. laugh

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
J
J

"But in our culture we view it as stealing."

Then if it really is "stealing" why not demand police protection? -the word "Stealing" has an actual meaning.No one is describing anything that fits that meaning being perpetrated.

Last edited by janiveer; 04/21/10 07:51 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by janiveer
Originally Posted by Ken Knapp
[quote=Nyiregyhazi]"Different" enough to accomodate stealing? I don't think that's a much less weighty slur against Eastern Europeans. Perhaps a "different" slur, rather than a lesser one?

"Different" in that they do not view it as stealing. It may be the way they naturally do business and would think nothing of someone else doing it to them.

But in our culture we view it as stealing. I would venture a guess that if they saw it through our eyes they would not engage in the practice.

"But in our culture we view it as stealing."

Then if it really is "stealing" why not demand police protection? -Stealing has an actual meaning.No one is describing anything that fits that meaning.

Because you and I both know that there is a difference between ethics and criminal acts.

You know. we can debate all night on what someone's definition of is is. We can mince words until they are mush.

But we're not going to. This topic is closed.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission