2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,896 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1422954 04/23/10 09:27 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Do you find it difficult to find others like you? I mean, I am a classical piano fan, a big fan. I listen to many different recordings of various composers. I compare, listen, and compare some more. I am a piano student too. And yet, at my church, and my job, I cannot relate to anyone since no one else that I know of, understands the wonderful joy I experience while listening to Chopin, or Beethoven, or Mozart.

To be able to share with someone about this recording, or that recording, that artist, or this sheet music, or talks on pianos, or fingering, would be neat. Can anyone relate?

The music takes me to a serene place, and yet, it is a journey I take alone. My wife does not connect with it...so, I come here, to share..

Dreamer

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Other than my piano teacher and two cousins...yes.

I went to a concert with a third cousin, who is taking Music Appreciation. We left at intermission because he just couldn't pay attention and it was ruining the experience for me.

Sad to say, he likes to tell me he enjoys it and he takes piano lessons now.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
ll #1423010 04/23/10 11:59 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm like you only replace Classical chopin etc with Neo-classical...a.k.a goofy new-age music!

I play piano to relax because I'm wound a bit tight. Playing relaxing/soothing romantic type music is literally a therapy for me. I'm glad to have others here (like the lovely Monica, Nancy, Anthony...(not lovely) who also enjoy and appreciate the type of music I do. This is certainly the place to share these interests.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was a little hesitant to click on this thread (out of habit), as I've received so much spam with the same subject! laugh

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano
I was a little hesitant to click on this thread (out of habit), as I've received so much spam with the same subject! laugh
LOL!

Dreamer: It really depends on your age and when you started piano. Since this is adult beginners, I will assume that you started "late" piano.

I can't directly reply to your question, since I started taking piano lessons at the age of 5 and being a composer/musician now I can safely say that most people I know are musicians, or at least in the general arts area (actors, directors, etc). So it's impossible to relate with you in that sence.

But I will tell you that over a period of 4 years, around 2004-2008) I spent my time in London, with my wife and two kids. Things were hard and I wasn't able to be out networking and talking constantly, nor being in a bar, a pub, etc. So I actively replaced that with Internet forums. And I'm happy to say that I hold many friends over the net, in various parts of the world, have found gigs, etc.

Nothing wrong with relating with people in here, who apparently all hold a similar interest to music as you.

Depending on your age and situation, however, you could potentialy try and find other people with similar interests. I mean, check the local newspapers to check if there's a concert/recital somewhere and then, just go. Alone if needed. You might actually just meet someone there and maybe start hanging out, who knows?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I meant to add earlier, but couldn't:

As an adult beginner, I don't know anybody in real life that shares this passion with me. Nor other hobbies I've ventured into in the past.

So generally just chit-chatting with another, I tend to focus on *their* hobbies and interests. On those topics, people are more than willing to add to the conversation.

But for piano discussion, I just hang out (mostly lurk) here. smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Last year I was dating this girl, and in one of our chats I told her I was learning piano, and she said:

-"hmmm really? piano is a girl's instrument!"

Then she asked me to play some beyonceé stuff on my guitar!

Suddenly the chat changed to the weather LOL

EDIT:

conclusion: I don't try to change peopl's minds anymore...

Last edited by al-mahed; 04/24/10 01:37 AM.
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
also depends on personality. if you are introverted + reclusive, that could be a problem.

I've given up on trying to make myself "go out" and just focus and spend my time doing the things I love. Just so happens the piano is perfect. If I feel like I need to connect with the world, I may go on this forum or just read a good book (usually piano related). If I had a grand piano I'd probably polish it often so i can see the reflection of my hands off the fall board, but right now, I'm only on a digital. =(

I will have my grand some day

Edit: if you ever feel like reading some good piano flame wars, go over to the Pianist Corner and start a topic about Lang Lang. laugh

Last edited by Rui725; 04/24/10 01:38 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BenPiano

When I first saw the title of this thread, my first thought was, "The PW dating service - it has begun." LOL indeed.

Originally Posted by Rui725
If I had a grand piano I'd probably polish it often so i can see the reflection of my hands off the fall board, but right now, I'm only on a digital.

With your upright, you can polish it to see your face in there too. laugh But I'm with you on the grand envy. Maybe one day when we get rich, eh?
The piano is by nature a lonely instrument because most of the works we play on it is solo. I wish I had siblings to play chamber with. I did try to do something with one of my flautist friends over the summer, but neither of us practiced very much and it was a flop.

L
L
If a girl though piano was a girl's instrument on a date, I'd play her some Rachmaninoff (once I get the ability... I'm not that far away) or one of my improvs. laugh

I'm actually quite introverted and reclusive, I used to be very lonely but I've got some friends over time. Still, none outside school, except OL (on the internet)

Originally Posted by ll
Other than my piano teacher and two cousins...yes.

I went to a concert with a third cousin, who is taking Music Appreciation. We left at intermission because he just couldn't pay attention and it was ruining the experience for me.

Sad to say, he likes to tell me he enjoys it and he takes piano lessons now.

Can't you talk and get to know people at the concerts? They should be there for a reason...

Originally Posted by FrozenIcicles

Originally Posted by Rui725
If I had a grand piano I'd probably polish it often so i can see the reflection of my hands off the fall board, but right now, I'm only on a digital.

With your upright, you can polish it to see your face in there too. laugh But I'm with you on the grand envy. Maybe one day when we get rich, eh?
He said he's on a digital...
I wish I had an upright laugh

Last edited by Lunatic; 04/24/10 02:33 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Most of the people I meet like me but I don't like them, that's my biggest problem and it causes me to be lonely, not to mention that when it comes to girls, I always fall in love with someone I cannot be with for some reason laugh

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Teodor
Most of the people I meet like me but I don't like them, that's my biggest problem and it causes me to be lonely, not to mention that when it comes to girls, I always fall in love with someone I cannot be with for some reason laugh

Law of nature.

B
B
Nobody in my circle of friends share my tastes or interests, but Internet is a wonderful tool to get to know other people with common hobbies.
I don't feel lonely at all. I go to every concert I fancy (whether I have company or not), take lessons and practise diligently. Certainly it would be nice to have people with similar interests amongst your closest friends, but if that's not the case, it's useless to worry about it. Just enjoy the opportunity you've been given of doing something you like.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The front license plate on my truck reads "The Lone Pianist" and then there're you guys - - - -

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I always fall in love with someone I cannot be with for some reason laugh

That's because the time isn't right - someday - bam - it'll be all over

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Yes and no. I've got friends and family, and a lot of them are musicians. I think most serious musicians are a bit introverted, because it takes a lot of time alone to develop those skills. And I've chosen a career as a writer, so I sit at home alone and make up stories all day. If I were an extrovert, I'd lose my everlovin' mind.

Still, for a person whose work can and does expand to soak up every last minute of the day, it can require a lot of effort to get out and spend time with people. And a single person has to contend with the fact that her friends need to spend time with their spouses and aren't always available when she's looking for company. And a single person with a sick parent and a child to raise is going to have trouble getting out and meeting people.

Thus...there are internet fora.

I've thought of contacting the local piano teachers guild and asking teachers to put me in touch with other serious adult students who might want to get together periodically and share the pieces we're practicing. When my family responsibilities slow down, I'll probably do that.

Last edited by MaryAnna; 04/24/10 08:56 AM.

Mary Anna Evans
Author of the Faye Longchamp mysteries
http://www.maryannaevans.com
Blogging at maryannaevans@blogspot.com
I have found that piano, as a way of life, has opened doors of connection with people. I found these doors through taking lessons and accessing opportunities to share playing with others that came as a result of taking lessons. There is a world out there of piano players. How accessible it is probably depends on how any local setting has developed over time, and how welcoming its atmosphere has become.

Baldwin
Charles Walter
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by al-mahed
Last year I was dating this girl, and in one of our chats I told her I was learning piano, and she said:

-"hmmm really? piano is a girl's instrument!"

Then she asked me to play some beyonceé stuff on my guitar!

Not sure which of those was the bigger offense, but combined they are cause enough for immediate and permanent termination of interpersonal association and the rudest possible ejection from the premises.

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Originally Posted by MaryAnna

Thus...there are internet fora.

Ah, whatever would we do without the internet?

"That nice good-natured Chopin played for us a while. What a charming genius!" Delacroix
S
S
Originally Posted by -Frycek
I always fall in love with someone I cannot be with for some reason laugh

That's because the time isn't right - someday - bam - it'll be all over

I wish I believed this. I really do.

To OP, I have a similar situation, though fortunately the people in my family all love music. When I can't be with them, I turn to the internet.

Born with music in my ears and heart.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission