2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 11 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not who, what - the industrial revolution. It ripped apart our communities. If you want to study English folk music you go to the Appalachian Mountains.

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
I don't think that 'took' anything. It just fell out of interest.

Same.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
This still misses the point that the content of the books under discussion is no less appropriate than the content of any other book currently available for this 'method book' purpose. And since we can't undo the Industrial Revolution at this point what do you suggest we do (as piano teachers) to right this terrible wrong, keyboardklutz? I find this a particularly interesting question as there was no culture of teaching the piano prior to the Industrial Revolution, so there's a bit of an internal consistency issue with a piano teacher even wanting the Industrial Revolution undone......

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Originally Posted by Elissa Milne
I find this a particularly interesting question as there was no culture of teaching the piano prior to the Industrial Revolution, so there's a bit of an internal consistency issue with a piano teacher even wanting the Industrial Revolution undone......
Funny you should say that. The industrial revolution created a middleclass who demanded affordable pianos for their newly acquired pasttimes. One could easily write a book on the industrialization of piano pedagogy - it's not without scientific interest. But back to the point - do piano teachers have a responsibility to the culture they find themselves in? And yes, I am very much a Luddite.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I find this a particularly interesting question as there was no culture of teaching the piano prior to the Industrial Revolution, so there's a bit of an internal consistency issue with a piano teacher even wanting the Industrial Revolution undone......
Funny you should say that. The industrial revolution created a middleclass who demanded affordable pianos for their newly acquired pasttimes. One could easily write a book on the industrialization of piano pedagogy - it's not without scientific interest. But back to the point - do piano teachers have a responsibility to the culture they find themselves in? And yes, I am very much a Luddite.
Ah, now there already are books about exactly that (piano pedagogy as an outgrowth and reflection of industrialisation) as well as books about the social function (as compared to the musical function) of piano pedagogy..... (love that kind of stuff).

And I'm with you that piano teachers find themselves with a responsibility to the culture they find themselves in (as much as one can have a responsibility to an abstraction of lived experience), but one doesn't need to reduce the possible musical influences on a child to those of the child's ethnicity in order to do that: here in Australia ALL culture is grafted, so the culture I have a responsibility to is a culture of melange and blend and beyond that needs to be determined on a student by student basis, and there are no books in all the world that fit that bill. So one uses excellent material and builds a cultural experience relevant to the student/child from the resources at hand.

But taking this further: the rhythms, the pitch patterns in method books - any method books - creates a cultural divide between the piano student's pianistic music-making experience and the music they are immersed in throughout their 21st century days. And I believe even more firmly that unless piano teachers start addressing this immense cultural gap we will find ourselves marginalised in the creative process of our culture..... (As I said, probably now bordering on getting waay off-topic!).

Teacher, Composer, Writer, Speaker
Working with Hal Leonard, Alfred, Faber, and Australian Music Examination Board
Music in syllabuses by ABRSM, AMEB, Trinity Guildhall, ANZCA, NZMEB, and more
www.elissamilne.wordpress.com
Bartok did it for Hungary. Kabalevsky for USSR.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Is Christopher Norton doing it for America / modern popular music (American Popular Piano Series or Connections)?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
No. Maybe for Birdland.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Personally, I'd be more inclined to pity the kind of kids who have morris dancers for parents. Folk music can be enjoyable, but I don't see learning piano as being the place to push folk music on kids. If the tradition ought to be kept up, it ought to be done by mouth. That's more in the nature of real folk music. Perhaps it's a shame that it's dying out, but I don't think piano lessons are the place to revive that culture.

The kids I know whose parents are Morris dancers are pretty cool smile And I do know some. I know kids whose parents danced Scandinavian dances, as well as dances from all over the world, who went to college to study folk dance and music. All great kids.

But piano *is* a harder instrument to learn about it on in some ways. I have pointed out many times, as Elissa has, that music is much much broader than what can be reproduced on a piano, and, for me, it's pretty ignorant narrow to not at least acknowledge that in piano lessons, and to not acknowledge that piano isn't the be-all and end-all, much less the beginning-all laugh , of music or music theory.

That said, I sure have nothing against Russian folk music - I've danced a lot to that, too. And I play old English tunes, both for old English dancing and as Appalachian music, often. But folk music isn't everyone's cup of tea. I might bemoan the fact that people have lost their sense of where their music has roots (and our modern music *is* rooted in traditional music) but I don't know the roots of every subject, either. Life seems to move on.

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 04/24/10 12:00 PM. Reason: corrected the "quote"

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
I didn't say "screw other music- it's all about the piano". I said that piano teachers do not have any 'duty' to resuscitate folk music.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I didn't say "screw other music- it's all about the piano". I said that piano teachers do not have any 'duty' to resuscitate folk music.

The thread, and my post, is not all about you smile I am not, however, inclined to pity kids whose parents are Morris dancers - just my point of view, of course.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
You specifically quoted my post and responded to it. However, whether it was directed at me or not, I have no idea why the idea of not involving folk music would lead you to state that some people are too 'ignorant' to involve things beyond the piano. Where do you draw the line between ignorance and realising that you are a piano teacher and cannot educate on every single form of music? To be complete do we have to teach minimalism, prepared piano music, Indian Ragas, whale song and William Shatner's unique stylings in the field of "sprechgesang", perhaps? Why should any of those very specific areas be any more or less important than folk music? I'm a classical teacher. I don't take a narrow view, but neither do I feel obliged to do my bit against the impact of the industrial revolution.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
They start off with seriously easy stuff, however - I'm not sure how you could think they were intermediate level Betty!! Five finger positions that don't move? Sounds like the second half of Book 1 of any standard method to me. I actually have these books and I can see how a teacher could use them, but I don't think they are for everyone, even though they are fabulous. Kids who don't practice would struggle, for instance!!

Elissa,

I wanted to respond about your 5 finger position comment of Book 1. I used "sheetmusicplus" here on the forum for my search and actually looked at Book 1, Part 1, then Book 1, Part 2, and Book 2 and I was using them in my mind as a complete method book series and that is why I called in intermediate but I I almost said late intermediate. This series moves ahead very, very quickly.

In Book 1 there is such a minor key influence, yes, it sound like Russian Music, what does one expect? It's better to start with a major scale sound for beginning students. But, there are no "instructions or explanations going on in the example of music given in any of the 3 books. So, I see it as supplemental and not a method for teaching.

These would be great books for serious students and for piano teachers to own and use, but I think they get difficult very quickly. There were a lot of "touches" required on that first page of "5 Finger" music. Legato playing comes before staccato (3 types) and accents so I "disqualified it in my mind as a beginning method and gave it an intermediate reading since it was so "diacritical", if that word applies here. Maybe "articulation" is a better word.

I also see that each can be purchased for less then full retail ($24) at around $14, so the price is much better for those who will buy it.

Betty

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Could I suggest that anyone looking at the Russian book go to sheetmusicplus here on the forum on the left of this screen and do a search "russian music". You will find 3 books in this series there. They are labeled Book 1, part 1; Book 1, part 2, and then Book 2. I think it's important to look at all 3 to see where they will lead as a total.

Someone had asked a question about "are they sight reading material?" I would think an advanced adult at the late intermediate level who was an experienced and accurate sight reader would enjoy them - but that is one whole lot of Russian music and it's usually best to recommend variety in our music selections.

I think these 3 volumes apply to the lover of Russian culture from the small picture we have seen.

Elissa, having these on hand in her studio, is much more aware of the contents of composers these books contain. I didn't see anything that made me think it contained a mix of composers in different nationalities and eras from around the international world of music.

Perhaps it's a shame that it's dying out, but I don't think piano lessons are the place to revive that culture.
Single handedly it can't but utilizing the colloquial music language rather than Russian or another arbitrarily chosen culture just seems like good practice. Unless students are familiar with English, Russian isn't going to sound Russian anyway.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My country was under Russian influence for a long time, the beginner method book I'm studying from is just like the one you described.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
And we all know why that is.

S
S
I think the OP main concern is about a position playing that most of the current American method books provide. For example, some student thinks that F is finger 4 and D is finger 2 of the right hand and later is hard for them to change it.
I took a glance on only one page of this Russian Method that provided by Amazon, I saw "plentiful" of finger numbers on the music notes. I think even provided this Russian Method to students, they will start to depend on the finger number provided.
What do you think?

Humbly,
Small Piano

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
What songs have children always learned first? Those from their mother's lips. What do they learn now? Those from Sesame Street.

Your English mums don't sing to their kids? Are you so sure?

And Sesame Street is real nice music ... or was.

Last edited by landorrano; 04/24/10 02:01 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission