Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1425382 - 04/27/10 05:13 PM avant grand power consumption?
MarcoM Offline

just curious if any of the resident AG N2/N3 owners ever measured its power consumption, there is no mention of it on the manual, and given the large amount of amplified power available especially in the N3 it'd be interesting to know how much the instruments consumes (and as a fun aside figuring out how many hours a day you need to play to spend a comparable amount to an acoustic's tuning costs smile )

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1425438 - 04/27/10 06:13 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: MarcoM]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If you do a search, I recall this very calculation having been made.
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1425444 - 04/27/10 06:22 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: Melodialworks Music]
MarcoM Offline

really? do you remember more words in the relevant post? I've done various queries with "power", "consumption", "watts" etc. but haven't come up with anything in terms of power consumption

#1425449 - 04/27/10 06:27 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: MarcoM]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi MarcoM,

Below is from a post I made a little while back in another thread. I searched for "500W" and found it. My rate of 6.6c/kWH is based on off-peak time.

You're right that the manual doesn't state total power consumption clearly. I just took the wattage ratings of all the amplifiers and added them all up. For the N3 it's 500W and the N2 is 380W. It doesn't mean that they will always run at these max power levels, but it's probably the worst case number you can assume.

You've peaked my curiosity a little bit more now so I think I'm going to buy one of those devices that report how much electricity your appliances use tonight so I can get a more accurate reading of it while using headphones and speakers separately. I'll report on those results later when I have them.

"I did the calculation on how much electricity I would pay to play the N3 for 30 hours a week. At 500W (unlike most other DPs who average less than 100W), that's 60kWH a month for 120 hrs, and my rate is 6.6c/kWH, so that comes out to about $4/month on electricity cost on the N3, or under $50 a year.

I use the N3 on headphones for 1/2 the time, so my N3 wouldn't be running at the full 500W all the times because the amps will sit at idle in headphones mode. And I don't use 30 hours/week, more like 21 hours/week (at 3 hours a day max). So adjusting for these factors, my annual cost is actually around $17/year of electricity to operate the N3."

#1425477 - 04/27/10 07:07 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: Volusiano]
MarcoM Offline

thanks for reposting this, my google-fu must've been lacking earlier smile on the other hand the amplifier wattage is not necessarily what's coming out of the wall-wart, class A amplifiers for example usually have a maximum theoretical efficiency of 50% (and in practice quite a bit less than that)

I guess you are looking at something like a kill-a-watt?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/travelpower/7657/

it's going to be really interesting to know what the power consumption is at, say, headphone with trs on, 50% volume, 100% volume (guess you can use the demo piece for it smile ).

Thanks again for your help with AG questions, Yamaha should send some gift cards your way smile

#1425522 - 04/27/10 08:26 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: Volusiano]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
A 500W amplifier does not consume anything near 500W of power. Not unless you are playing a continuous signal at near full volume on all bass and treble channels. Playing music at typical volume levels in home systems only a few watts is required. The data plate in the piano will give the maximum the unit can draw but using that much cerent is very unllikely in normal use. I doubt the N3 uses more than 20W on average. likely much less.

One way to think of it is that if what you hear coming from the speakers is anything other then one loud, full volume and continuous blast then the average power must be less than the maximum. The more it differs from the continuous blast the more the average and maximum differ. Piano music differs quite a lot from a train horn

#1425553 - 04/27/10 09:29 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: ChrisA]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Yes, I just bought a Kill-a-Watt from Costco and just measured my N3's power consumption. And the answer is ...drum roll... around 60W give or take a couple. At idle with no play, it draws 58W. Once I started playing a demo song and set the volume to max level, it goes up to around 60-61 W. Actually playing the keyboard at max volume instead of demo song makes very little different, which makes sense because the keyboard is live anyway all the times. I didn't try with headphones but I'm pretty sure it'd be around 58W, close to idle rate, most likely.

For sanity check, I ran the Kill-a-Watt through some light bulbs with known wattage ratings to verify that it gives accurate reading and it does.

So it'd actually be about 1/10 of my original worst case estimate, or around $5/year of electricity at 6.6c/kWH for 30 hours of play a week.

#1425567 - 04/27/10 09:53 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: Volusiano]
MarcoM Offline

that's very interesting, thanks for checking!

#1425631 - 04/27/10 11:43 PM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: Volusiano]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Volusiano
... at 6.6c/kWH for 30 hours of play a week.
I wish I could get electricity at that rate. Here it's more like 10 cents.

#1425674 - 04/28/10 02:21 AM Re: avant grand power consumption? [Re: MacMacMac]
Volusiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

That's the off peak time rate in my dual rate plan. I don't remember what the peak rate is but surely it's at least double if not easily triple or quadruple. I think 10-12 c/kWH is probably more of the average rate in the US.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Janko keyboard video
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:28 PM
RECOVERING PIANO HAMMERS
by Steinway K
Yesterday at 07:31 PM
Help with forum for Musette in D Major...
by ieatglitter14
Yesterday at 05:27 PM
Who's Online
97 registered (Anticlock, anadyr21, accordeur, AnimistFvR, 27 invisible), 1189 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158405 Topics
2326241 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission