2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
All the DPs I've heard sound cold, hard and thin to me.

And, a lot of studio monitors and amplification gear sound a bit sterile which doesn't help.

I thought about warming the sound up with a tube/valve preamp between the DP and your amp. I'm running my DP through a pretty warm amp (although it's not tube) and mine sounds better than most I hear because of this.

Anyone try using a tube preamp or tube amp to get a warmer, softer, fuller sound?

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by bolt
All the DPs I've heard sound cold, hard and thin to me.

And, a lot of studio monitors and amplification gear sound a bit sterile which doesn't help.

I thought about warming the sound up with a tube/valve preamp between the DP and your amp. I'm running my DP through a pretty warm amp (although it's not tube) and mine sounds better than most I hear because of this.

Anyone try using a tube preamp or tube amp to get a warmer, softer, fuller sound?

I have plans in the works. But I really do not think a unity gain preamp adds much to the sound tubes or not. A tube amp needs to add considerable gain if it is going to change the sound. The trouble is that you also need some quite large and efficient speakers if you are going to go with tubes. So an all tube audio system is physically large and expensive.

I did do some experiments using old Hammond organ equipment and a digital piano.

I'm collecting parts and so far lack a pair of suitable output transformers

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

For tube pres the DW Fearn VT-2 is supposed to be king of the mountain. I've been lusting after it for more than a year now. The Acoustic recordings of piano I've heard it with are stunning !

It's a microphone preamp. Digital pianos output line level signals. You'd have to pad the line level way down so as not to overdrive the preamp and then the preamp will take the level back up to line level again.

Why not invest less money in an classic tube powered stereo power amp? Like an ST70. If you need more power buy two ST70s

It you just want to try putting a tube in the signal path buy this. It's way cheap
ART Preamp
Presonus Tube Pre

I have something like these that I build on a wooded breadboard with a single 12AX7 tube It's a two stage pre made with about $20 of parts. It's the same circuit as in the top end $$$ pre and the $30 unit. If I keep the gain down it is totally transparent and sounds like a length of wire. But if I crank it up I have a distortion box that I can use with a guitar.

Last edited by ChrisA; 04/28/10 07:19 PM.
B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My use is strictly for home use and I don't think you need much power at all for home use.

I agree ChrisA with what you said in your last post - why not just use a tube power amp.

Better yet, some low end tube audiophile preamp/amp combination.

I have a friend who has piles of this kind of gear, I'll ask him about prices, I bet it's not much.

Dave - I looked at your gearslutz thread but your interest is live and the gear you're talking about is way high end for my budget.

"There is more to this piano playing malarkey than meets the eye" - adultpianist
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by bolt
I have a friend who has piles of this kind of gear, I'll ask him about prices, I bet it's not much....

If you find any tube based power amps of any kind working or not for "not much" let me know.

Tube preamps can be built cheap but stereo power amps require three large and expensive transformers that sell at the parts stores for close to $100 each. They are five to 12 ponds each with a lot of iron and coper inside and they are still hand built. The tubes are relatively cheap but I don't see the cost of large transformers going down.

B
bolt Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Looking on Craigslist you can see nice ones - integrated preamps/amps - for around $400, used.

I seriously think this is the way to go if you agree with the adjectives I used in the OP.

I love tube amps.

But anyway, having lunch with my friend tomorrow, will ask him more.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission