Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1425385 - 04/27/10 05:18 PM NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer !
Piano World Offline

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (orig. Nahant...
Changes are coming to the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) show this summer. For the first time in the history of the music trade show, the last day is open to the public.

(NOTE: for those who don't know what NAMM is, it's the huge music trade show held twice a year, once in January in CA, once in June in TN. http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1297034/1.html )

Scheduled June 18-20 at the Nashville Convention Center, the show annually welcomes more than 300 music vendors from across the country. Everything from band instruments and guitars to the latest in recording technology will be represented.

In the past the show has welcomed only manufacturers, retailers and distributors who were members of the organization.

"NAMM is a trade-only event," said Scott Robertson, director of marketing and communications for NAMM. "The show exists to help our members stock their stores for the upcoming fall and winter seasons. But part of our mission is to create more music makers, and if we can use the trade show to do that, it's a good thing."

NAMM's Wanna Play Music Sunday is geared toward just that. For $20, or $10 with a coupon from a participating music retailer, patrons can get a firsthand look at the latest in music design and technology. A host of educational sessions, ranging from how to get more gigs to recording tips and tricks, are included in the ticket price. There also are drumming competitions, a vintage guitar road show and free guitar setup and restringing. But individuals shouldn't expect to walk away with any loot, Robertson said.
Expect a lot of live music

"There will be no consumer selling of any kind on Sunday," he said. "It's really just look and see what's going on. We want people to come down and see it and get excited about playing music themselves. And one thing you can count on with NAMM coming is that there's a lot of live music we bring with us."

Music enthusiasts who are interested in learning more about NAMM's Wanna Play Music Sunday, can visit www.namm.org/wannaplaysunday. Retailers, distributors and manufacturers in search of more general information, go to www.namm.org/summer/2010.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!
Coming to Maine? We're in Parsonsfield (southwest) let's get together!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1427709 - 05/01/10 10:54 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano World]
M.O.P. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ocala, Florida
This is a wonderful opportunity for consumers, and we applaud NAMM for their decision. The drumming competitions are always fun to watch!

One note, though, Summer NAMM is not historically heavy on piano displays, which is always disappointing. Maybe this will get piano manufacturers excited about changing their attitude about the Summer NAMM show. smile

Piano Manufacturers - are you listening? This would be a great opportunity to get your product in front of consumers!

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' Blog - Technical Tuesdays
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

#1427943 - 05/01/10 06:16 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: M.O.P.]
Piano Peddler Offline

Before any of you PW folks book airline and hotel reservations in Nashville, you may want to check the exhibitor list to see if any piano companies will be showing at summer NAMM. My guess is other than the digital suppliers, like Roland, Korg and Yamaha, and probably Hammond Suzuki, there will be very few acoustic pianos being shown. Based on past summer trade shows, this is primarily a combo/guitar products show.

Edited by Piano Peddler (05/01/10 06:18 PM)
and keyboard musician

#1427965 - 05/01/10 07:01 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano Peddler]
Piano World Offline

Good point Craig. I didn't check the first time I went to Nashville, got there and was like "where are all the pianos?".

It's still a lot of fun, but not so much if your main goal is acoustic pianos.

I'll try to check the updated exhibitor list, and post what I find.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1428058 - 05/01/10 10:45 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano World]
Piano Peddler Offline

Thanks, Frank! I hope that some piano companies decide to display, but it will not happen this year. When I was at summer NAMM two years ago, there were only a few acoustic brands: Hailun, Mason & Hamlin/Piano Disc and Wyman. Other than the lone digital display here and there, it was mostly a guitar show and still is. I don't think any of the above piano companies will be there this year. Despite Nancy's encouragement in her above post, it is simply not going to happen that fast. It is an expensive long-term commitment for an exhibitor to display at a NAMM show; arrangements for booth and hotel reservations, as well as shipping of the pianos need to be made six months or more in advance. With slow sales and tight budgets, it is not something that any piano supplier is going to change their mind about at this late date. Maybe next year, if the public day is well-received.
and keyboard musician

#1428087 - 05/01/10 11:49 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano Peddler]
Piano World Offline

Ok, here's what I've come up with for piano companies so far...

Acorn Pianos ?
Korg (digital)
Kurzweil (digital)
Roland (digital)
Samick
Yamaha (digital?, acoustic?... or just their other stuff?)

Plus lots and lots of guitars, amps, drums, band instruments, sound equipment, etc.

Craig is right, don't go if you're hoping to see/play acoustic pianos, at least not this year.

If however you are interested in the other instruments, check it out.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Twitter.com/PianoWorld

#1428107 - 05/02/10 12:34 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano World]
Piano Peddler Offline

Thanks, Frank.

Just an FYI, Samick is only displaying guitars and MI product, not acoustic pianos. I have no idea who Acorn is, other than the political e-mails being circulated. It looks like there may be very few acoustic pianos at summer NAMM.
and keyboard musician

#1428800 - 05/03/10 07:19 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano Peddler]
Fred C. Offline

May the Acoustic Piano Rest in Peace -
Will someone at least please give it a decent burial.

Musically,

Fred C.

#1430381 - 05/05/10 10:23 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Fred C.]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Bring scuba gear, Nashville is underwater...

#1434538 - 05/11/10 03:56 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Mark...]
MarthaT Offline

Not too funny

#1434828 - 05/11/10 10:52 PM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: MarthaT]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: MarthaT
Not too funny

It wasn't meant to be funny...

#1461388 - 06/23/10 05:24 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Piano World]
Semper Bösendorfer Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I think that increased transparency in the piano trade will ultimately benefit the dealers, - since surely the main spin-off of 'lay-visitors' just may be a refreshing interest shown by such visitors in finding out what they have been missing for so long? I respect anyone disagreeing with this view though. And, yes, I know it sounds over-simplistic. But somewhere down the track I wonder if anyone would be able to correlate either positive or negative results from opening up NAMM? Even an unscientific result that would make any prof. of stats tear his/her hair out would make for interesting reading!

#1461391 - 06/23/10 05:35 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Semper Bösendorfer]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
As a regular demonstrator at Winter NAMM, I sincerely hope that this is a one-off, summer only, experiment.

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#1461400 - 06/23/10 06:09 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Ben Crosland]
Semper Bösendorfer Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Ben, I am writing my two-bits worth from rural Victoria, Oz - 40 kms from Melbourne. Your comments and concern re NAMM being open in the future, are interesting. Where do your main concerns lie? NAMM being open or not I feel is a more important topic than many realise.

#1461404 - 06/23/10 06:28 AM Re: NAMM is Letting Public Into Show this Summer ! [Re: Semper Bösendorfer]
Ben Crosland Offline

Loc: Worcester, UK
@Semper B., having experienced both Frankfürt Musik Messe (which has 2 open days) and NAMM (until now, exclusively trade), I have found NAMM to be less stressful and a lot more focused. The biggest problem with the public days, is that there is inevitably a huge number of kids, who are just there for the experience - to dream and drool over all the lovely gear that, by the time they can afford to buy one, will be obsolete anyway. I fully appreciate this from their p.o.v. as I, too, was like them once (and still am, during my breaks at NAMM, tbh!), but from an exhibitor's perspective, it's a lot of extra hassle. Also, doing the shows is tiring work, and opening the last day to the public will make it so much busier than the rest!

So, to summarise - my main concerns are selfish ones wink

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC1 - What do I need to start?
by Gerardo Melara
09/17/14 03:32 PM
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
09/17/14 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
09/17/14 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
09/17/14 11:47 AM
Playing for ~9 months.. Where to go next?
by alexbergauer
09/17/14 11:39 AM
Who's Online
153 registered (accordeur, acdyer, Adypiano, 3times2, ABC Vermonter, 47 invisible), 1457 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157581 Topics
2314687 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission