2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I am sure most people here realize the importance of trying to mentally practice or “think” a score away from the piano to aid memory, understanding, interpretation, etc. And I am sure people have read about many great pianists recommending this tactic. But I have not read any books on how precisely to do this. Obviously, I should try and mentally hear the piece as best as possible, but surely there is more to it than that. Should I be trying to recall the details of the printed score itself, or should I be visualizing my hands actually playing the piece?
I read that Glenn Gould would memorize the entire score before ever playing it (others such as Heinrich Neuhaus have recommended the same thing), but in reference to doing this I also read a quote by Glenn Gould in which he said something to the effect that when he memorizes a score he sort of (I am paraphrasing because I don’t recall his specific words) sees his hands playing each note(s).
I have combed my University’s library and found no good books on the subject. I think perhaps the problem may be that I am confounding mental practice with strict memorization. But it would seem, anecdotally at least, that mental practice leads to solid memorization.
The only book I have heard about that even touches on the subject is “Music in your head: Mental practice, how to memorize piano music,” but none of the libraries in my area carry this book. I have ordered it online but it will not arrive for some time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

P.S. Sorry for the long-winded nature of this post.

-Jeff

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You're right, mental memorizing is the best form. My favourite advantage if you can visualize an entire performance of a piece is that you can 'mull' it over. Also, when it comes to performance anxiety, I'm hypothesizing the mental memory is in a place adrenaline can't get at. It's the hardest type to get under your belt and needs a lot of concentration. Whether you visualize the score or hand movements is a personal choice. I visualize the hands. Interestingly, because in reality you only see about one octave of the keyboard at a time, I find you can only visualize your hands on that much keyboard. When visualizing both hands they sometimes intermingal. Also, once you've learned it away from the keyboard it sounds some much fresher when you do play it. Make sure you do the fingering first.

And welcome to PW!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW Jeff,

Memorizing works for me in the following way: I get completely hooked by the pieces I'm playing, and hum them on the road, sing them, tap them on the table, etc. So I 'know' deep down what to expect while I'm performing. This helps me cause if I know what's coming next, I'll just... go that way. It seems that this is coming rather natural to me, even now that I don't practice almost at all anymore.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Some people advocate memorizing the printed score and say that after you've done it, you should actually write out the score, from memory. This will prove to yourself that you really know it and will help solidify the memorization. And it also will reveal any spots that aren't thoroughly memorized.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Some people advocate memorizing the printed score and say that after you've done it, you should actually write out the score, from memory. This will prove to yourself that you really know it and will help solidify the memorization. And it also will reveal any spots that aren't thoroughly memorized.

Has anyone here actually tried it (the writing out part)? I have been thinking about trying it especially in some pieces where I am experiencing recurrent mistakes, but it sounds kind of daunting.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by wr

...but it sounds kind of daunting.
Kind of? It sounds extremely daunting and this is coming from someone who normally enjoyes writing scores and notating music! laugh

Originally Posted by wr

Has anyone here actually tried it (the writing out part)? I have been thinking about trying it especially in some pieces where I am experiencing recurrent mistakes, but it sounds kind of daunting.

I did that only once, when I was fifteen. I wrote out the invention and sinfonia that I was preparing for a Bach competition. IIRC, I even came up with that preparation method on my own.

The invention/sinfonia were not long pieces, but the process was slow and painful. It did help me discover multiple places of memory lapses though (i.e., I had to pantomime with my hands to figure out the notes).

Was it helpful? Hard to say. Of the five years that I was made to participate in the Bach competition, that was the only year that I advanced to regional. It's hard to say how much can be attributed to the score writing exercise though -- it didn't stop me from blanking out during the next stage (but arguably, I started the score memorization process too late).

Now, I think I would just rather work more on improving other aspects before taking this draconian route for memory reinforcement (but then, my piano aspirations are rather modest).

Last edited by MegumiNoda; 04/30/10 09:57 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

I don't usually attempt memorization, but just now I thought I would try this out on Bach's 8th invention, which I can sometimes play by memory. Luckily, I had some score paper handy (or I could have done it in Finale).

Only made it to the third measure, before uncertainty about one note stopped me and I had to go to the piano for reinforcement. But even this short little experiment was interesting (and amusing). I really started to think much more carefully about how the music was put together, and that is worth it in itself. I think I will try to get this whole invention learned to the point where I can write it out, just to see what the process has to teach me.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nikolas

...but it sounds kind of daunting.

Actually, complete memorization of every note is the method I use, except on easy pieces and let me tell you: It is extremely daunting (I can only assume/hope it will get easier with practice) and not to mention time-consuming. In fact, this is what actually got me contemplating the use of mental practice in the first place.

-Jeff

Last edited by time-lord; 04/30/10 07:24 PM.
A
A
I really like keyboardklutz's post - I love the idea of mental memory being "in a place adrenaline can't get at" - brilliant! I am going to think this the next time I have to perform.

Mental practice helps me so much. I use it all the time for memorization. Say I am memorizing four bars at a time - I play the four bars and then, while sitting very still, I feel and hear the music of those bars exactly the way I want to. It makes memorization much speedier for me.

I also sit away from the piano (again, very still) and look at the score, reading ahead, and I hear and feel the music the way I want to. Then I do this without the score as well.

I have tried to use mental practice as a means of improving my playing. However, it is really difficult to concentrate on each note. It is easy for me to hear the music in my head - I have no problem replaying an entire piece in my head - but trying to visualise my motor movements is more difficult. I have been trying this recently with Bach's fugue in F minor book two. It is only three pages long, and I can play all of the first page mentally from memory and by that, I mean I can imagine the notes, the fingering, the dynamics and the arm movements.... but I start to lose it once I get to page two.

I think I need to try and break it down into smaller sections away from the piano to get it into memory. I can also sit with the score and read through the music and hear and imagine what I will be doing at the keyboard.

M

Oz Marcus
Currently working on:
Schubert Impromptu in C minor - D899
Chopin Prelude Op28 No 15, nocturne Op48 no 1
Bach Prelude & Fuge WTC II No 12 in F minor
Aspiring to Rautavaara - Piano Sonata 2 - Fire Sermon
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Oz Marcus
I have tried to use mental practice as a means of improving my playing. However, it is really difficult to concentrate on each note. It is easy for me to hear the music in my head - I have no problem replaying an entire piece in my head - but trying to visualise my motor movements is more difficult. I have been trying this recently with Bach's fugue in F minor book two. It is only three pages long, and I can play all of the first page mentally from memory and by that, I mean I can imagine the notes, the fingering, the dynamics and the arm movements.... but I start to lose it once I get to page two.

I think I need to try and break it down into smaller sections away from the piano to get it into memory. I can also sit with the score and read through the music and hear and imagine what I will be doing at the keyboard.

M

That's one of my favorite fugues from the WTC (I love the prelude too).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

I have no problem replaying an entire piece in my head - but trying to visualise my motor movements is more difficult.
It does take supreme concentration. Listen to the UK radio show Just a Minute and you'll get the idea.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I have music going through my head every waking minute. I don't have a lot of time to practice with my full-time job and other obligations, but I have a lot of waking hours to mentally rehearse. Fortunately, it never gets on my nerves, I don't feel haunted, I just always have this soundtrack going. Right now it's one of the more awkward passages of the Beethoven Op. 101 fugue on repeat.

Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
I have music going through my head every waking minute.
Unless you can play perfectly by ear that's no use. You need to perfectly visualize either the score or the keys.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have music going through my head every waking minute. I don't have a lot of time to practice with my full-time job and other obligations, but I have a lot of waking hours to mentally rehearse. Fortunately, it never gets on my nerves, I don't feel haunted, I just always have this soundtrack going. Right now it's one of the more awkward passages of the Beethoven Op. 101 fugue on repeat.

I know how you feel... the worst part is thinking on variations of the pieces you listen to, and doesn't have enough time and technique to perform them.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores

M

That's one of my favorite fugues from the WTC (I love the prelude too).

BWV 847, it is one of those pieces that plays in my mind almost driving me crazy, strange enough I'm far away to be able to play it.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
I have music going through my head every waking minute.
Unless you can play perfectly by ear that's no use. You need to perfectly visualize either the score or the keys.

It seems to work well for me, so I imagine it's some sort of combination of playing by ear, visualizing the score and feeling the keys. All I know is that I can play a piece through a few times, leave it alone for a week, and then play it by memory the next time I sit down. I'm not saying it's always perfect, but after testing my memory I go back to the score, practice it slow and fill in the blanks.

If it's as simple as that for you when playing in front of others then you're lucky indeed.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
If it's as simple as that for you when playing in front of others then you're lucky indeed.

It depends on the complexity of the piece. Something on the level of a Grieg Lyric Piece could be ready to perform in a week using this method. Ginastera's First Sonata has required almost 2 years of work and I'm not satisfied yet with my memory or command of the piece..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission