2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

I'd be interested to know if the PX-3 uses the same mechanical keyboard action as the PX-330?

AFAIK the PX-3 has Ivory keys.

I tested the PX-130 (no Ivory keys) and the PX-830 (Ivory keys) side by side in a store.

The PX 830 keyboard seemed to be a little bit better, less wobbly.

I had the impression it was more precise.
If the keys where more firm in the horizontal (left right) direction then they where comparable to Yamaha keys.

I believe the keybed is the same, but it can be that the ivory keys are assembled with more care. Dont know it, of course.

Peter

1929 Galaxy Blüthner Baby Grand
acer aspire m3300 AMD Phenom II X6

P
P
Hi,
I own PX-330. I am satisfied with the sound and this is my 3rd Privia after PX110 and PX220. I read about the new PX-3BK limited edition.
Maybe Mike can comment the questions I have send to Casios support in Februar. (But no satisfying answer yet)

Some things I miss on my Px330 and hope they are fixed on the PX-3

On the Px-3Bk I found that the PX-3BK which has switches for (Portamento,Rotary-Switch) Here on t pianowoldforum I read that it can be assigned as modulation, too.
Can you really confirm this?

Is there already a manual available?
Does the PX-3BK have aftertouch repose?

I know that the PX-3 only has this pitchbend-wheel and missing moulationwheel.
With software changes the pitchbend whell could be assigned as pitchbend from the lower to the mid position and above the middleposition. as modulation. I know these are different MIDI Data types, but it could be possible and would be great!

I have noticed an MIDI malfunction on my PX 330. Sometimes when I play more than 8 Tones with sustain pedal I have overlapping MIDI Output.
This is reproucaple when I strike a note and re-strike the same key shortly later.
Normaly I expect 90 50 60 -> 80 50 7F <- 90 50 23 80 50 7F (7F as note-off velocity)

Sometimes the Hex80 (NOTE OFF) Info which belongs to first note is BEHIND the "Note ON" (HEX90) of the second (same key).
PX330 produces 90 50 60 -> 90 50 23 <- 80 50 7F 80 50 7F (I don't remember the note off values at the moment)
On a real piano I can not strike a key twice without releasing it meanwhile.
Currently I am inbolbrf in a betatest for a new PC MIDI application (leading company operating worldwide) and this new product had a hanging note problem with these overlapping MIDI notes, which definitely came from the PX330. The developer implemented a fix for me, because I was not able to fix it in the PX330.
Maybe this problem has something to do with the 3 contacts keysensors, which will be already the same in PX-3

It is only reproducible when you play many notes, so I think this is an error in the MIDI transmitter routine.
Do you offer firmware update for the px330. I bought it in December 2009 (build in November)

Why does the PX330 send Sustain on/off Commands on all the 3 MIDI Channels which are assigned for the Main-Sound and the accompaniment (2 or 3 Channels I think)? I hope this is fixed on the PX-3.

When I play the PX-330 in LOCAL OFF and use the accompaniment (only drums) some Instruments will not be played, even if I connect MIDI OUT to MIDI IN of the PX-330.
Is this fixed in the PX-3?

Ralf

Last edited by PianoRalf; 04/27/10 06:26 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I think it could be the three sensor action, although it should also behave the same for a single note.

Play one note only, and then release it partially, such that the note is not terminated, and then press down on the key again. If you do not hear a new note, lift off completely and start all over again. Once you have found the retrigger point, inspect the MIDI.
I think you will find that a new Note-On is transmitted without a Note-Off.

It's interesting that you are still getting two Note-Offs though.

On a grand piano, you can definitely repeat a note without the damper ever touching the strings. smile Research the "repetition lever". (here's an animation, with a "release half way" mode as well: http://www.piano.christophersmit.com/popUpMotion.html )

Btw, I've actually tested a PX-130 - it can definitely sound a new note without the first note being terminated. However, I have not inspected the resultant MIDI messages. (I have asked Casio about the MIDI behaviour, and whilst their response was very brief, it seemed to me that yes, a new Note-On would be sent for a partial repeat, without there first being a Note-Off)

Greg.

Last edited by sullivang; 04/27/10 07:25 AM.
U
U
Mike - will the new AP-6BP also be avaliable in the USA?

If so can you give any indication on the timeframe?

Thanks.

Yamaha CLP-S308
Learning after >20 years break smile
P
P
Hi,
I am not sure if this is an effect form the 3 contract sensor.
Now I give you the original values
90 37 26 B0 40 7F 90 37 62 80 37 3F B0 40 00 80 37 3F
Here you see, the Note On velocity 26 and 62. I don't think that I have played the second note louder than the first note after releasing the key half. Between the commands I find time values in Standard MIDI File format. The first is 86 62: so these are 2 Time Bytes 7F + 62. So at least 1/2 second.

Ralf

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Ralf,
The fact that the sustain pedal up(off) message occurs between the two Note-Offs does look a bit suspicious. I would expect that typically, the two note-offs would occur back to back.

Are you saying that the time difference between the two Note-Offs is half a second?

Have you been able to do the test I suggested yet, to at least see what MIDI is sent when you definitely do invoke the third sensor?

Greg.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

P
P
Hi Greg,

the time was 1/2 second between the 2 Note On.

thank you for explaining and the link to the animation. Very interesting and usefull. Now I have plugged my MIDI monitor directly to the PX330 and got the point:
I moved the keys very slow after each other
90 3C 18 80 3C 40 here no point and directly behind is:
90 3C 11 90 30 07 here we see the overlapping Data
80 3C 40 80 3C 40. Noteoffs come with the same release velocity

It does not depend on the velocity but in fact on the amount the key is released. So I could produce: 90 2D 01 90 2D 22
Here the second velocity is higher.
The way is about 7 mm. The full way is 11 mm (full release)
So if you release the key 8 mm a Note off will be send. If you release it half way (below 6 mm) no NOTE off comes, but a new note on.
I guess some MIDI expanders could have problems with this situation. I my case the Sustain off cutted the first note but not the second, this produced a hanging note in this MIDI application I am testing as betatester. Now this is fixed there. But important to know that this is not a "buffer overflow" or something which has to do with the performance. So the PX-330 seems to work correct.

Last edited by PianoRalf; 05/02/10 09:31 AM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Excellent - I'm glad you have done this test!

Yes, maybe there needs to be a "compatibility" option, where a Note-Off will be sent when EITHER the top or the middle sensors are triggered! That way, we'd still have most of the benefit of the third sensor, but with no compatibility problems.

Greg.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I have a Casio PX-575 which uses the older keyboard without the third sensor. I have recently taken it apart to replace the dampening material (strips of felt) that the hammers are parked on. It runs directly under the keyboard and is glued to the bottom cover. You have to dissemble the piano to access it. I have discovered than when the strips flatten out (from the hammers beating against it), the keys chatter, probably because the hammers travel farther and noise increases. The action also becomes less responsive with a mushy feel. I have replaced what Casio uses with foam insulation strips used to insulate around doors and window. This can be bought at Home Depot and Lowes for minimal cost. It seems to hold up much better.

The keybed seems to be well made and is made of heavy duty plastic. There is some lateral movement of the keys but I've never had any trouble with clicking noises. Mine was also missing that strip of felt on the overhang, but I added a piece of that foam insulation which helps prevent the keys from slapping against their rests.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 05/02/10 12:12 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

The price is right, they do sound pretty good but I wonder if there's a trade off in regard to how these things will hold up.

Don't know the answer to this. Apart from a few early complaints about keys stuck down when the PX330 deliveries started at the back end of last year, then apart from me :-( there's not been much or any problems reported with the keyboard action other than observations about looseness. It's probably too early to say.

There are photo's here of the key action if that helps at all (probably not).
http://www.mediafire.com/?jnmkittiolf

K
K
Hi,
does anybody know the release date of the PX-3 in Europe?

Also, I've seen on another forum that the PX-330 has transportation issues (it should be carried only horizontally) because of the fragile hammer machanisms. Anyone confirming?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by ksoze; 05/03/10 12:56 PM.
P
P
When I got my PX330 the uppermost key C7 was hanging. I had a mechanical at home who could fix it by fiddle a bit with a screwdriver. The key had lost it's axle. So I had the chance to look inside without loosing guaranty. There is no spring inside.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Piano Ralf
You are correct. There are no springs at all. The hammers are mounted in a free moving pivot. The hammer attaches to a piece of protruding plastic that is part of the plastic key. There's a hole in the middle and the hammer is kept on by a plastic keeper. Casio uses dampening material glued to the bottom of the keybed and another strip of material that is glued to the bottom cover. When you push the key down the hammer moves up (striking the damper glued to the keybed. When the key is released the hammer strikes the lower damper glued to the case. When the instrument is not in use the hammers are parked on this lower damper. This can flatten out in time and eventually cause the keys to chatter and become noisy.

S
S
My PX-130 survived a trans-Atlantic flight in the cargo hold at the hands of the baggage handlers, and after I moved I had it in the box standing up on end for about 4 days. No problems.

W
W
Upon delivery of my first Privia PX-330, a couple of the upper end keys were partially lower. I sent it back and it's replacement was perfect and has served me well over the past year of frequent gigging. I carry it around in one of Casio's padded bags especially designed for this Privia model. The action on it feels like it did when I first got it and it's plastic case has been very durable as well. When my PX-3bk arrives, I'll keep the 330 for a practice/backup piano.

P
P
The manual for the PX-3 is available.
I found it here:
http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/PX3_E_1A_web.pdf
I was interested how modulation will be assigned to buttons. It can be assigned only to the left button. ON PX330 it is the metronome button, which has no "on" light. So modulation will be added (send via MIDI) if you press the button. (the depth for pressed and unpressed can be assigned). If you have an organ sound and want to to control the rotating effect you can use the second swith. It is the Recorder button on the PX330, which has a light. So On and off will be toggle. So you can switch on rotary effect an switch off. This effect will be produced by the internal DSP. But how to do this via MIDI? Normally this is controlled by the MIDI CONTROL CHANGE parameter Number 1 (Modulation) . And this can be assigned to the Button 2 as well laugh
Here I found that is possible to assign a value for "Light on" and "Light off". So Just assign Button 2 to Contol Change 1 and you will have a Modulation with a fixed outputvalue during you have 2 hands free for playing.
Or you can assign Button 1 for half speed and Button 2 for full speed modulation.
There are more piano presets available. But I could not find sound demos yet.
Unfortunately the rhythm is not available. But I don'`t understand why they also removed the metronome.
I have the PX330 and would miss the drum section, helping me to keep tempo during playing. I have an external Midi master keyboard controller and have the problem that drums are not played correctly when using LOCAL OFF. (Some Instruments are missing) So I thought the PX-3 would be a solution for that. But it does not have drums any more :-( Just drum sounds. They could be played by an external MIDI device. So not the perfect keyboard for me.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Anyone who is interested in listening to sound samples from the soon to be released Casio PX-3 Demos can follow the link below. Mike Martin has posted these on a temporary page. Sounds like the EP patches have been improved quite a bit compared to what is in the PX-330.
http://www.keysolutionssounds.com/casio/

Last edited by galaxy4t; 05/31/10 10:29 PM.
P
P
Thanks for the link galaxy. Sounds pretty nice (though with some flaws, though I doubt you'll care in a gig), and definitely should give the other players a run for their money, especially at the price ranges they're talking about (~$800) and the low-20lb-ish weight.

RD-700GX + SN Piano Expansion
If you're playing and you know it, wash your hands! If you're playing and you know it, no sanitizer!
If you're playing and you know it, and don't want your keys to show it,
If you're playing and you know it, clip your nails!
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
From what I can hear, there seems to be more clarity and detail in the EPs, but APs remain pretty much the same with the short decay and dullness in the upper-mid register. Nevertheless, it does seem like a pretty good package for the musician who needs a basic workhorse.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission