2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 71 of 140 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 139 140
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
haven't heard that in a long time. That wasn't a composition, that was an improvisation that used the first 2 lines of Joy of C as an outro. Recorded 13 years ago give or take.

Thank you very much for posting this, it means alot to me as each CD took years of endless work. This was from Power of the Piano, on the Jazzheads label. If I may be permitted, Jazzheads is now running a sale that allows you to download each of my four solo CD's for $7 complete at www.jazzheads.com.
What a deal:)

Blessings and keep swingin,

Dave Frank

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

So do you mean that the song is in Eb so you tried something in Bb and Ab ?

The song is in Eb, so the chords before it (2nd bar of intro) are Gm Cm Fm Bb7 (aka iii vi ii V). The first intro bar goes Ab Eb. The whole thing stays within Eb major.

The two bars were constructed backwards, from knowing where I wanted to get to (the beginning of the song).

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Dave, how are you? Head above water?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

I'm in your situation. I think it depends on your upbringing. We're not from the era where we watch the old films in which most of these songs featured. Plus I didn't have jazz parents.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I also didn't have jazz parents but a brother who went mad on certain types of music, so I got lots of Leonard Bernstein and for a while, Frank Sinatra. Bit of temporary insanity for which I can now forgive him. smile

It just feels like a huge gaping hole of culture that actually takes a lot of effort to fill.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

So do you mean that the song is in Eb so you tried something in Bb and Ab ?

The song is in Eb, so the chords before it (2nd bar of intro) are Gm Cm Fm Bb7 (aka iii vi ii V). The first intro bar goes Ab Eb. The whole thing stays within Eb major.

The two bars were constructed backwards, from knowing where I wanted to get to (the beginning of the song).

Thank you 10 ! I'm not familiar with iii vi ii V as a progression. But as you say it's equivalent to cycling around in 4ths. (Incidentally that's how I play my Hanons smile
It's great that you're exploring different progressions. Arrangements really stretch you in all directions.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
If you have time could you please tell me whether you like my new progression in Bb maj and the associated arps and scales ?

http://www.box.net/shared/a1aemno8a54vqeeamnrv

http://www.box.net/shared/ejjf0cndakvz87yv547z

Many thanks.
cus

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
>>haven't heard that in a long time. That wasn't a composition, that was an improvisation that used the first 2 lines of Joy of C as an outro. Recorded 13 years ago give or take.
13 years ago... I think I was still enjoying a nice summer windsurfing in the area of Lacanau 13 years ago.

>>If I may be permitted, Jazzheads is now running a sale that allows you to download each of my four solo CD's for $7 complete at www.jazzheads.com.
Did you get approval from Cus. That's the process around here wink

>> so I got lots of Leonard Bernstein and for a while, Frank Sinatra
I love Sinatra. Great way to learn tunes, at least some of them.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Cus,
I might do that for the progression
D F A C
D F Ab C
D F G Bb
C Eb Gb Bb

Or higher up
A C D F
Ab D G
G Bb D F
Gb C F

May I suggest something?
Get these all out of the way now. Write them and I can look if you like, but practice all keys every day. Once you get 1/2 way comfortable in Bb, move to Eb, but practice all 5 keys within that period (2 or 3 weeks, whatever).

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yesterdays:
http://www.box.net/shared/qae5pt43anky99skrmm2

Quick wednesday morning before work recording. Getting ready to head into hours and hours of mindless talks... Wanted to get this out of the way.
Sorry, no ink.

++

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for posting, knotty, that was good. I think I'll tackle yesterdays first.

Cool arrangement! I liked your bass octaves.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks 10. It's interesting listening back. Not great by any means but it was quick to put together.
Next: What is this thing called love.

Btw, your list is great. They're not always well known though. For example, many people do not know Yesterdays or "everything I love". Halberstadt uses the latter in his book, so those with the book know it, but I think that's about it.
Kenny Drew with NHOP do a very mean version of it. Absolutely gorgeous duet.
Dianne Reeves sings Yesterdays in her Paris CD. Amazing singer. I saw her live and it was one of the most fantastic concerts I've been to.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
I really liked your arrangement especially your LH movement and the tense RH chord at the high point. It's great how quickly you can output beautiful arrangements like that and your Tenderly one.
What is This Thing called Love sounds fun.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by knotty
Cus,
D F A C
D F Ab C
D F G Bb
C Eb Gb Bb

Or higher up
A C D F
Ab D G
G Bb D F
Gb C F

May I suggest something?
Get these all out of the way now. Write them and I can look if you like, but practice all keys every day. Once you get 1/2 way comfortable in Bb, move to Eb, but practice all 5 keys within that period (2 or 3 weeks, whatever).

Checking out beaches on the west coast of France vs checking my progressions on the east coast of America, what do you prefer ? smile

Thanks for your progression. Do you like the in between one ?

F A C D
F Ab C D
D F G Bb
C Eb Gb Eb

You won't believe how long I take to learn stuff. I'm not like you who can transcribe 220 bpm stuff while you drive smile . I will try to go a bit quicker from now on but Bb is an important one for me to understand.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

>>If I may be permitted, Jazzheads is now running a sale that allows you to download each of my four solo CD's for $7 complete at www.jazzheads.com.
Did you get approval from Cus. That's the process around here wink

haha laugh .

"It is with great pleasure that I hereby grant jazz cats the right to post any content of a jazz nature".

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Cus,
D F A C
D F Ab C
D F G Bb
C Eb Gb Bb

Or higher up
A C D F
Ab D G
G Bb D F
Gb C F

May I suggest something?

Checking out beaches on the west coast of France vs checking my progressions on the east coast of America, what do you prefer ? smile

Thanks for your progression. Do you like the in between one ?

F A C D
F Ab C D
D F G Bb
C Eb Gb Eb

You won't believe how long I take to learn stuff. I'm not like you who can transcribe 220 bpm stuff while you drive smile . I will try to go a bit quicker from now on but Bb is an important one for me to understand.

Hi Knots
Please disregard my earlier post.
I'm going to do the 1st progression you gave me. I like it, besides being open-sounding, it gives my RH a lot of room to move.
For the 2nd Bb maj 7, are you OK with me using D F G C so that I can throw a 6th in ?

I've had several hours to think about what you said and I agree with you. I can't spend forever on progressions. I will do less compositions over the progressions and stay at 80 bpm so that I can move on quicker.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
frustrating today. i tried rh swing today and had to stop after 20 min - pins and needles. really ive had no symptoms over the last few days and thought it was safe to try again. will find out tomorrow if i've done damage.

i thought i' d been patient...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sorry to hear that. I hope you can treat it fast.

T
T
That is bad news Ten. Is it time to see El Doctor?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks. No pain today so I don't think I've repeated the damage of a few weeks ago. I was wondering about el doctoro. Last time he tapped the nerve making it far worse. Then while he was sharpening his scalpel, I managed to get it better by myself. smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
Sorry about your ups and downs. It must get frustrating.
Maybe give the fast Hanons more of a break hey ? Are you up to the triplet ones ?

Last edited by custard apple; 09/02/11 03:58 AM.
Page 71 of 140 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission