Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1428618 - 05/02/10 10:39 PM Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I've played this piece since I was a preteen, and it never ceases to surprise and amaze people who have never heard it before. Why is it not more frequently played, and why, too, is it so badly played? I've heard recordings by respected musicians of the caliber of Ashkenazy, von Sauer, and plenty of others that play it as much as 25% faster than Chopin's very sensible indication, much too detached when he asks for smoothness, skittish, uncontrolled, using some ridiculous mazurka rhythm when it's just not called for, and worst of all, making the soaring, all too brief 9/8 barcarolle section into nonsense by skimming over it.

Fortunately, Rubinstein does get it. If not for his recording that I heard as a child in the Chopin Collection disc, I probably would have neglected this beautiful, wide-ranging and ingenious piece, too. Yet he did not record it until he was 75, and as far as I can tell, he did not program it! Anatol Ugorski's recording is also gorgeous, for a bolder reading that is still relatively true to the score.

So what does Piano World think? At 8 and a half minutes, it's too long for an encore, and it's not as difficult or as deep as the Ballades or the Polonaises, but it is a very effective and engaging piece in its own right which deserves wider attention.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1428703 - 05/03/10 12:41 AM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
I think it deserves to be played more but not that much more. I like it quite a bit but if we put it alongside all of Chopin's other works and say how much we feel it should be played by comparison, I'd say the current state of things is pretty close to where it should be. I guess I'd put in a vote that we should hear it once in a while instead of yet-another-performance of a scherzo or ballade, but I'd say the same about a bunch of other Chopin pieces, like the rondos, some early polonaises, and (especially) a great many of the mazurkas.

I haven't heard it played by very many people but I can't say I've ever heard it played badly.

I'm thrilled that you're so high on it, and that you have it in your repertoire.

P.S. I haven't had the impression that it's less difficult than those other pieces ....but since you play it, if you're telling us that it is, I imagine you're right.

#1428758 - 05/03/10 02:59 AM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Every time I hear it or play through it, I am reminded of why it (and various other early Chopin pieces) doesn't get played more often. To be sure, there are some charming bits, but still... Even though it's a shortish piece, the thematic material is weak and generic, and the main theme has definitely worn out its welcome by the last time it comes around. And the structure feels quite clumsy in spots. The coda in particular seems to arrive from nowhere and for no particular reason.

BTW, although some of the Ugorski is nicely played, he also gives a great demonstration of how not to do convincing delayed-note right hand rubato, in the Piu Lento section.

#1428797 - 05/03/10 07:14 AM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: wr]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
My favorite rarely played Chopin piece is his Op.5 Rondo a la Mazur:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuGonko-Wuk

I heard (can't remember his name) play the Chopin Bolero at the Grace Rainey Rogers Auditoreum in NYC when he was around 98.

#1428995 - 05/03/10 12:48 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: Mark_C]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
P.S. I haven't had the impression that it's less difficult than those other pieces ....but since you play it, if you're telling us that it is, I imagine you're right.

I have played it for a long time, so my view might actually be distorted by my familiarity with it. It has its difficulties, like the madly fluttering opening in 3/8 (which is VERY fast at mm. 88), or the B-flat minor section in which he asks the player to reach with the left index finger over the left thumb at an increasing interval - from a second to a full octave! On the whole, though, it's easier than any of the Ballades or the mature Polonaises, by which I mean on any given day, I'm more likely to be able to pull off the Bolero. ha

Maybe others just don't see the potential in it that I do. I'm programming it in a June concert, after a pair of Mazurkas and the Etude Op. 10/9, so I'll find out for myself how effective it is or isn't.

#1429009 - 05/03/10 01:32 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
One small point of clarification : The A-flat major section, starting at measure 156, certainly barcarolle-like, is not in 9/8; it remains in 3/4 with the left hand written in eighth-note triplets - at least that's the way it's scored in the Henle. In fact, the right hand notation is decidedly in 3/4.

I don't know the work well, and while it reminds me somewhat of some of the earlier Polonaises,[1] it doesn't have the unity that they have, even the early ones. It seems somewhat episodic. For my taste I don't think the rewards of playing it would particularly be worth the effort in learning it, but that's said from only a couple of hearings and a perusal of the score.

[1] Coincidentally, I had not heard or read any references to the "Bolero" before as those Bailie [2] refers to when she writes: "the Allegro vivace in 3/4 from b.88 is, as has often been remarked, that of an [emasculated] polonaise beneath a picky RH dotted rhythm motif (of which we have had more than enough long before the last of its umpteen appearances). Evidently, Bailie is not fond of the work!

[2] Eleanor Bailie. Chopin: A Graded Practical Guide. Kahn & Averill, London, 1998, p. 535.

Regards,

#1429045 - 05/03/10 02:59 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I heard (can't remember his name) play the Chopin Bolero at the Grace Rainey Rogers Auditoreum in NYC when he was around 98.

I think that was Mieczyslaw Horszowski. I heard him twice toward the end, and he was still beyond remarkable. I had tickets for a later concert also, but it was canceled. I think he never performed again.

His most memorable piece (for me) was the B minor Scherzo. He made all that agitated figuration into something lyrical.

#1429051 - 05/03/10 03:11 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
I have happy memories of playing the first page of the Bolero when fairly young and finding it very exciting. It then gradually dawned on me that the rest of the piece just didn't do it for me - sorry Chopin!

It is ingenious. I consider it a "fake improvisation", by which I mean that the spirit of improvisation is there, but cleverly tweaked and improved to the point that nobody could possibly improvise something that good on the spot. The winning entry in a contest that never actually took place.

When considering the popularity of this piece, at the risk of sounding like a complete philistine here - where are the tunes? To my mind, the only thing close to a memorable hummable/singable melody takes place in the A flat section (bars 156 onwards), and even that is gone so fast. Episodic, no lasting memorable melodies, very clever... not a recipe for popularity. Most popular classical works from this period have at least one hummable theme that sticks in the mind afterwards - something the mind can latch onto easily as part of remembering what the work was like overall.

#1429164 - 05/03/10 06:49 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: BruceD]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
One small point of clarification : The A-flat major section, starting at measure 156, certainly barcarolle-like, is not in 9/8; it remains in 3/4 with the left hand written in eighth-note triplets - at least that's the way it's scored in the Henle. In fact, the right hand notation is decidedly in 3/4.

In the Jan Ekier National Edition, I believe it's scored in 9/8. I do agree with you, though, the left hand figure is barcarolle but the right hand is not bound to its meter, it's pure Bellini fioratura. Incidentally, what do you think the relationship of that section is to the main part? Do you think it's played as if an eighth note was equal to an eighth of the previous bar, or as if a quarter note of the previous bar equaled a dotted quarter? Most seem to do the former to give it a more expansive quality.

Edited by jeffreyjones (05/03/10 06:51 PM)

#1429203 - 05/03/10 07:48 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
SlatterFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton, UK
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
In the Jan Ekier National Edition, I believe it's scored in 9/8. I do agree with you, though, the left hand figure is barcarolle but the right hand is not bound to its meter, it's pure Bellini fioratura.

I own the National Edition of the "Various Works", and there's no change of time signature in the Boléro at bar 156. The music remains at the 3/4 set at bar 88, and only the key signature changes. None of the first editions have a time signature change at bar 156, and there's no mention in the National Edition source commentary of a 9/8 there in any autograph.

#1429352 - 05/04/10 01:47 AM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: SlatterFan]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

That's what I get for relying on my memory. I guess it's not right to slow it way down then!

#1429615 - 05/04/10 04:21 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
I think the Boléro is a fine piece, though not having the same depth as the other pieces of the same length, ie. the ballades , scherzi, fantaisie or barcarolle, and the later polonaises. As a danceform, it so tries to be a polonaise, a strange effort by Chopin not to be polish at all costs...After the opening flourishes one could discern a bit of Satie, of all people, then a polonaise breakes lose, a bit of song in the a-flat section, and quite a convincing return to the rest of the material to round things off, and a fine piece to program, unusual, beautiful, and not a 2 minutes affair, FINE!

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1429616 - 05/04/10 04:31 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: dolce sfogato]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
.....it so tries to be a polonaise, a strange effort by Chopin not to be polish at all costs.....

I think Chopin does an interestingly good job of making a bolero Polish....or making a polonaise Spanish. ha

Whichever way we should put it. smile

IMO it's an ingenious mix of Polish and Spanish. But the piece just isn't "good" enough for it to be more on the map.

#1429627 - 05/04/10 04:45 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: Mark_C]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
A piece is never on it's own in a program, that makes this piece a very very very welcome alternative for all the other ones we are smitten to death with, I also want to make a case for the variations op.12, and why not, the rondo op.16, and for goodness sake, yes, the 1st sonata!

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#1429782 - 05/04/10 10:48 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: dolce sfogato]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

A piece is never on it's own in a program, that makes this piece a very very very welcome alternative for all the other ones we are smitten to death with, I also want to make a case for the variations op.12, and why not, the rondo op.16, and for goodness sake, yes, the 1st sonata!

Whoa. We have a wild man here.

#1429786 - 05/04/10 10:57 PM Re: Chopin's Bolero, Op. 19 [Re: jeffreyjones]
al-mahed Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones

Whoa. We have a wild man here.

I agree with Dolce Sfogato, I don't know if the polonaise posthumous in G-# minor is famous amongst the performers or not, but I don't see so much renditions on youtube, and it is great!

Working on: music

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
171 registered (A Guy, Al LaPorte, 36251, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1814 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250251 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
04/18/14 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
04/18/14 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
04/18/14 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
04/18/14 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission