Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1429981 - 05/05/10 12:01 PM daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice?
Red, Piano Mom Offline

My dd's very first guild audition is tomorrow and I don't know who is more nervous, me or her! And I am busting with pride: 2 months ago, I just didn't see how she would learn it all, when I discovered everything she was going to have to play (and everything she hadn't learned yet), but she practiced so hard, and has learned it all and sounds wonderful!

First, thanks especially to John v.d.Brook here on these forums for helping us understand what she needed to know!

Second, anybody have any last minute advice for her?

She is in level EE, and is playing 9 pieces (such as this Bach musette, George Chadwick's Diddle diddle dumpling, What a Wonderful World, Beauty and the Beast, and some pieces from PA 2 and 3A) and the black key scale musical phase. IMMT has 5 scales and cadences.

Thanks everybody,
Red

Edited by Red, Piano Mom (05/05/10 12:11 PM)

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1429987 - 05/05/10 12:12 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow!any last minute advice? [Re: Red, Piano Mom]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Even though there is a judge or panel of judges critiquing her, she should approach this like any other performance: she is there to share her music with others, why she picked this music, what she likes about it, and what she has to say with it. It's still not about "her" in the sense that she needs to gain the approval/acceptance of her listeners. She should set some realistic goals for herself that she can completely control. For example, a goal of getting a perfect score on a piece relies upon the judge(s). However, a goal of being able to play through that difficult passage, or playing it musically, etc. are goals she can control the outcome of. And then she can be satisfied at the end of the day if she accomplished her goal.

Music is a process, and we're all at different phases of that process. No one is ever "there", but some of us expect that of ourselves. Having a good idea of where she is at in her process can really help her determine how well *she* thinks she played, regardless of what others think. There may be times when she will get a harsh judge. If her feeling of accomplishment relies upon a stranger's opinion, then be ready for a roller coaster ride. If her accomplishment relies upon what she knows she can do, however, and perhaps a bit of a challenge to herself, then the pressure is off and she will enjoy the experience more.

Best of luck to both of you! smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1430072 - 05/05/10 02:51 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: Red, Piano Mom]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Some recommendations:

- Get a good night's sleep.

- Dress appropriately. Too many students show up looking like vagabonds, and human nature being what it is, the nicely dressed students are showing respect to the judge and it's appreciated. Don't wear high heals. You cannot pedal properly.

- Relax; the judge is also going to be looking for what you do correctly and above standard; enjoy the occasion. You're doing something the vast majority of piano students cannot do. You're already a winner, if you think about it.

- Do take a cloth handkerchief if possible. I buy several 10 packs at Men's Warehouse (plain white) and give one to each student just before they go in. Teens, especially, suffer from out-of-whack hormones and sweats. Having a handkie to wipe the keys and dry their hands also helps with nerves.

- Review your scales, chords, etc., slowly. Don't panic. Slow, careful review will help you more than fast playing.

- As you practice each piece today and tomorrow, take time to review the structure of the piece and practice starting points within the piece. If you should forget something, and it happens to the best of us, you have a jump ahead point. That's better than starting over and over, hoping you'll remember something, while anxiety increases.

- Especially review you endings and remember, always smile, no frowns.

- Remember, dynamics count for a lot. Exaggerate and it will be more effective.

You and your teacher have worked hard to prepare, so I know you'll do well. Best of luck to you!

#1430084 - 05/05/10 03:13 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Mom & Dad, don't forget your camera!

#1430293 - 05/05/10 07:57 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Red, Piano Mom Offline

Thank you Morodiene and John for all that wonderful advice!

I hadn't thought of the handkerchief but that is a great idea for many reasons, even if my daughter, being just ten hasn't got the hormonal issues yet!

Do kids really show up ill-dressed after putting all that time and effort into preparing? That is surprising. My daughter had her dress picked out weeks ago.

Best to you and your students,
Red

Edited by Red, Piano Mom (05/05/10 10:52 PM)
Edit Reason: because 'dress' is not spelled 'dressed'

#1430327 - 05/05/10 08:52 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: Red, Piano Mom]
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You'd be surprised about some kids. I have to actually spell out a dress code for my spring studio recital, or kids would show up in shorts and flip flops. I've already started talking to students about how they dress affects how they play for the guild auditions too.

Don't forget your music, number the measures lightly in pencil, arrive early to warm up if a practice room will be available, and remember that the judge wants you to do well!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA

#1431116 - 05/06/10 10:54 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: Stanny]
Red, Piano Mom Offline

Thanks to you all for your advice and good wishes. From what I could tell from listening near the door, my daughter did well at the audition... first 4 pieces (the hardest ones) no mistakes that I could hear, though of course I couldn't judge any subtleties that way. Fifth piece she had one mistake right away (a memory failure I think) with threw her. After pausing a few seconds, she started the piece over again. Don't know whether that will be a big deal. The last four pieces were pretty good... I heard a few minor mistakes, such as a hesitation here and there... Out of ten scales she was only asked to play 2! Out of 5 cadences she was only asked to play one! She told me the judge seemed impressed that she had only been playing for a year and a half, so perhaps that will help her to pass. We will find out Monday.

She was very proud of herself when she was done, and very relieved! As was I!

Question for all of you: next year does she have to play ten completely new things to try for national again? Or can she carry over a couple of the harder ones from this year?

Thanks again to all of you for your help and encouragement.

Red

(And, by the way, the girl who played before her did indeed come in casual wear, so you were right about that.)

#1431128 - 05/06/10 11:24 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: Red, Piano Mom]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Did the judge not give your daughter the certificate when she left the audition?

This is standard, in my experience. As a teacher, I collect them, but only after reviewing them with the student and parents.

The reason I collect them is that I need to photocopy them for my archives and to remove the grade tab, which has to be sent into Guild for certification purposes. The students receive their certificates back at the recital, where they are "re-presented."

BTW, I would never count on so few scales/chord progressions. Most likely, she had several pieces in the same key(s),often C, G, & F major, a and g minor, so I judge only needs to hear them once.

About repertoire recycling. Yes, students can recycle pieces, if they fit the level they are presenting. Most of my students learn 15 to 20 pieces during the 12 months, and we hone in on 10 for Guild. They don't seem to have any trouble with it. Perhaps because they are used to doing so.

Give your daughter a pat on the back from all of us. What a great accomplishment.

#1431153 - 05/06/10 11:51 PM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Red, Piano Mom Offline

Thanks for your comments John. No the judge didn't give my daughter (or any other child that I saw) anything, but we heard the previous student's father ask our teacher about that after she came out, and our teacher said that the judge would be giving her the results for all her students at the end of the day tomorrow (after all 20 of her students auditioned), and that she would tell the kids how they did at their next lesson. I guess that is when they will get a certificate if they passed.

I guess she got lucky re. the scales and chords. She had prepared the 5 black key scale phase, and was only asked to play C# and F#. And her IMMT consisted of 5 different keys (C, G, F, E, d) and she was only asked to play the cadence for C. Our teacher told us that this judge was determined not to fall behind. And only 20 minutes was allocated for my daughter's national audition, barely enough time to play the ten pieces, and have time to write anything at all down!

Thanks for the pat on the back; I will indeed relay it!

Red

#1431313 - 05/07/10 09:16 AM Re: daughter's guild audition tomorrow! any last minute advice? [Re: Red, Piano Mom]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Interesting. The allocation of time for National level auditions is 20 - 28 minutes, levels EA to IB and 30 - 35 min for levels IC - PD. Guild raised the fees this year, and allotted more time at each level. My Nationals are receiving 25 to 30 min each. This is more than sufficient time to hear a 10 piece program and scales.

But in fairness to the judge, some prefer to sit and listen then record comments, others, perhaps more experienced, listen and write simultaneously.

It could be that your teacher asked the judge to hold the certificates or it could be there is a change in Guild procedures I'm unaware of.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
100 registered (Almaviva, ADWyatt, accordeur, A Guy, 31 invisible), 1194 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153597 Topics
2251158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
47 minutes 10 seconds ago
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
Today at 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
Yesterday at 10:23 PM
CA glue applications
by accordeur
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission