2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte
I'm sure that you are aware that Horowitz had an extremely unorthodox approach to the piano. He frequently played with low wrists, flat fingers, and a curled pinky. He played runs with a type of stratching motion, striking the key with an outstretched finger and then quickly pulling it back.

Many pianists who tried to follow Horowitz' technique had injuries. Does anyone have any theories as to how Horowitz was able to become the greatest virtuoso using a system of technique that would injure most people?

1) There are a lot of things in anyone's technique that are invisible. Horowitz' fingers often look flat, but that doesn't mean he fails to maintain an arch or bridge. You may not be able to see it.

2) Horowitz performed on his own Steinway D almost exclusively, and it had a feather light action.

3) Horowitz didn't always play with flat fingers. Look at some of his vids playing Scarlatti.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phlebas
I'm sure that you are aware that Horowitz had an extremely unorthodox approach to the piano. He frequently played with low wrists, flat fingers, and a curled pinky. He played runs with a type of stratching motion, striking the key with an outstretched finger and then quickly pulling it back.

Many pianists who tried to follow Horowitz' technique had injuries. Does anyone have any theories as to how Horowitz was able to become the greatest virtuoso using a system of technique that would injure most people?

1) There are a lot of things in anyone's technique that are invisible. Horowitz' fingers often look flat, but that doesn't mean he fails to maintain an arch or bridge. You may not be able to see it.

2) Horowitz performed on his own Steinway D almost exclusively, and it had a feather light action.

3) Horowitz didn't always play with flat fingers. Look at some of his vids playing Scarlatti.

So is he cheating ?

M
M
lol no, like Pheblas said, horowitz often performed on his own steinway&sons, it's a bit of a stretch calling it cheating.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Horowitz could play any piano in the world and be just fine. If light actions actually made people sound better, people with Casio Privias and upright pianos would be flying through Liszt rhapsodies at breakneck speed.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Romantic music is played mainly with a warmer tone, thus with the flatter part of the finger as opposed to say baroque and classical where playing the rounded tip is optimal. Naturally the fingers would appear straighter in romantic repertoire as well. Thus, the difference between Scarlatti and his romantic, late romantic technique.

Last edited by Rui725; 05/07/10 11:19 AM.
H
H
I think Horowitz did what worked for Horowitz. Having a rubber wrist didn't hurt. The famous story, which is in Schonberg's biography, is that one of his students (I forget which) asked him how he practiced his octaves, and he answered that he did so slowly, dropping his hand from the wrist - the same as everybody else.

Glenn Gould is another example of a pianist with a wildly unorthodox technique who nevertheless was able to do just about anything at the piano.

Lang Lang's another example; I remember when I saw him for the first time I was sure his arms were going to fall off before the end of the performance because his motion seemed so jerky.

I don't think pianists should try to emulate these people. Personally, I think Kissin has the most fluid motion; the piano is truly an extension of the person in his case.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Horowitz could play any piano in the world and be just fine.

I'm sure that's right, but I think the extreme lightness of the action of his piano may have allowed him to play with flatter fingers, etc.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Horowitz could play any piano in the world and be just fine. If light actions actually made people sound better, people with Casio Privias and upright pianos would be flying through Liszt rhapsodies at breakneck speed.

Proof positive. By all accounts, Scriabin's Bechstein was pretty run down by the time Horowitz played it during his Soviet Union tour.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Originally Posted by hophmi

Glenn Gould is another example of a pianist with a wildly unorthodox technique who nevertheless was able to do just about anything at the piano.

Maybe so, but he did develop focal dystonia and thoracic outlet syndrome.

Last edited by 2301; 05/07/10 01:18 PM.
...and he had a lot more than that too. smile

Question: If we could play like Glenn Gould -- I mean really play like him -- and we knew it would lead to "focal dystonia and thoracic outlet syndrome," would we still play that way?

I think we would.

And then we'd try to get treatment for those things. smile

L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Frozenicicles
I think that everyone lies on a bell-curve. For people near the average, a generally successful technique would work very well.

Are you saying that the supremely gifted, such as Horowitz, need to use a technique that is different than that of the average pianist? And that if the average pianist attempts to use a technique that is designed for the supremely gifted, that is when you are risking injury?

If you look at his fingers when he strikes the key, they are not perfectly straight.

They often look close to being straight. Even Horowitz talked about how he thinks that flat fingers, where the entire ball is touching the key as opposed to just the tip, will produce a better sound. However, many pianists are in the habit of curling the fingers, instead of maintaining a natural curve. If someone thinks that a curl is a curve, then I can understand why he would perceive Horowitz' fingers as being excessively flat.

In fact, IIRC.....Harold Schonberg commented on it in some of his reviews.

Yes, he talked about how Horowitz used low wrists and flat fingers.

Horowitz' fingers often look flat, but that doesn't mean he fails to maintain an arch or bridge.

How do you maintain the arch of the hand if the wrist is below the keyboard. Doesn't the arch of the hand automatically collapse when the wrist is too low?

Recent Repertoire:
Liszt: Concerto #1 in Eb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY9Qw8Z7ao
Bach: Partita #2 in c minor
Beethoven: Sonata #23 in f minor, Opus 57 ("Appassionata")
Chopin: Etudes Opus 25 #6,9,10,11,12
Prokofiev: Sonata #3 in a minor
Suggestion diabolique
In fact, IIRC.....Harold Schonberg commented on it in some of his reviews.

Yes, he talked about how Horowitz used low wrists and flat fingers.

You're taking me a bit out of context. smile
What I said was that Schonberg talked about how Horowitz used different physical approaches for different kinds of passages -- straight fingers for some, curled fingers for others.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LaReginadellaNotte Horowitz' fingers often look flat, but that doesn't mean he fails to maintain an arch or bridge.[/quote

How do you maintain the arch of the hand if the wrist is below the keyboard. Doesn't the arch of the hand automatically collapse when the wrist is too low?

I don't think that follows. I've seen lots of pics and videos of VH with his wrists low, but I can't recall seeing one where his knuckles/arch looks collapsed.

L
OP Offline
L
You're right; he talked about that also. Horowitz did use different approaches for different pieces, but I suppose that the most unorthodox approaches are the ones that people remember best.

Last edited by LaReginadellaNotte; 05/07/10 02:57 PM.

Recent Repertoire:
Suggestion diabolique
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Question: If we could play like Glenn Gould -- I mean really play like him -- and we knew it would lead to "focal dystonia and thoracic outlet syndrome," would we still play that way?

I think we would.

And then we'd try to get treatment for those things. smile

I'd take the third choice: figure out a way to play that doesn't cause focal dystonia.....

H
hat Offline
H
His physical organization was supreme. I was reminded of the T’ai Chi masters who could reportedly send an opponent flying by barely moving their little finger. How was it possible for such explosions of sound to come rocketing out of the piano, but there’s virtually no movement! In any case, those who felt he was stiff were dead wrong. Physically he was loose as a goose, but the extreme economy of his movements led to the illusion of stiffness.

Years later one of my Feldenkrais trainers, Jeff Haller was watching the Moscow recital with me and said, “Look, he walks and moves his head just like Moshe!” And indeed, Horowitz was the embodiment of an ideal which Moshe Feldenkrais taught in a different sphere: his entire physical organization was based on sensitivity (that is, ability to discriminate) and most important, derived from a clear intention.

Repertoire
John Cage: 4'33"
L
OP Offline
L
Phlebas, how would you define "arch of the hand"? I understood it to mean that the wrist is level with the knuckles and slightly higher than the keyboard. Am I misunderstanding the concept?

Recent Repertoire:
Suggestion diabolique
Originally Posted by Mark_C

I think we would.
Gould was a dreadful pianist. Very much a creature of his time.

You folks really need to read Schlutz's Riddle of the Pianist's Finger. It's a very dense book but is in reality Shultz's attempt to 'scientifically' verify Horowitz's approach.

You need to have a more open mind.
(Yes, Glenn Gould was terrible.)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission