Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1432677 - 05/08/10 11:39 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: rodmichael]
FogAudio Offline

Loc: FL
I've been assembling some more pieces on the EBVT III thread. Here's another example recorded with my Studio Projects B1/B3. Same exact configuration as before.

Discovery-StudioProjectsB1&B3

Regards,
Ryan

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1433217 - 05/09/10 09:27 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: FogAudio]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Really nice sound Ryan, and I like your composition...in EBVT III, it's very beautiful.

I posted this over in the EBVT III thread, and thought it would be good to post it here as another example of the Avenson STO-2 mics. smile

From the movie "Sabrina" music by John Williams, p/b B. Pezzone on the LX, in EBVT III http://www.box.net/shared/z4asx6zm1j

#1433359 - 05/10/10 04:24 AM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: Grandpianoman]
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
Ryan,
thanks again for your help!

So your recommendation would be not to go with a B3 in Omni because capturing much of the room sound is in my case not desirable?

Then I suppose the first thing to try for me would be dual B1s in A/B configuration. I'll probably also go with the suggestion in another blog to open the lid to 1/4 and then have the mics just outside the piano. Guess I'll have to wait and see if that works out, of course.

Also, your 2nd recording sounds as lovely as the first! However, it has slightly too much stereo separation with headphones for my tastes. It makes me a bit dizzy and irritated... Would that be hard to fix, since you mentioned true mono would be an issue in an A/B setting?

Thanks and regards
Bunneh

#1433466 - 05/10/10 09:20 AM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: Bunneh]
FogAudio Offline

Loc: FL
Yup, I would go for a matched set of cardiods. Although if you bought a switchable cardiod/figure 8/omni, you could try to do mid-side recording as well. MS also has the advantage that you can mix in how much stereo affect your after. However that takes either a special preamp (True Precision made one that had built in MS mixing) or software to mix the MS signals.

Glad you liked my second song. Yeah I am not as happy with this recording regarding the stereo sound either, I burned it to CD and played it on my stereo and I didn't think it translated there as well at all. I may play with the phase of the signals and repost if I can make it sound more natural.

Regards,
Ryan

#1433520 - 05/10/10 10:59 AM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: rodmichael]
The Doghouse NYC Offline

I second the recommendation for ribbon mics. The Beyer m-160s are, in my opinion, some of the unsung heroes in this category. While they still may be too quiet for the distance you may need with a classical recording, I wouldn't rule them out either because of the unusual fact that they are cardioid and not bi-directional like almost all other ribbons. This can help to focus them from a distance.

Because of their low sensitivity, they also seem to help with bleed. A single one near the tail might do well for your needs (I think I read that this was a classical recording?)

In any case, there are also a pair of articles on my website which you may find helpful:
Recording the Grand Piano
Recording the Upright Piano

Best of luck, Nathan

Music Recording & Production
(866) 315-0321

#1434410 - 05/11/10 12:52 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: The Doghouse NYC]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Back when I was trying to decide how to record my piano at home I did a bunch of test recordings with different mics. I snipped down these recordings of a Joseph Lamb piece from that session so hopefully the detail could be preserved in a high-res mp3 yet be small enough for PianoWorld's picture uploader size limits:

Alaskan Rag, AT825 Stereo Mic
Alaskan Rag, dual Neumann u87 xy Cardioid
Alaskan Rag, dual Neumann U87 mid-side

A bit later, I did some more test recordings to refine my mid-side technique. Below is a snippet of a piano passage from Laura Nyro's piece, Map To The Treasure:

Map, Neumann u87-mid + AEA R92 Ribbon-side
Map, Neumann u87-side + EarthWorks qtc40-mid

I liked the ribbon for the slower passages but I thought it seemed to lose detail and smoothness as the tempo picked up. More recently, I took the u87/qtc40 ms recording above and tried applying different delay and ambiance processing to the mid and side signals before decoding them in an effort to achieve a little more depth:

Map, 3D

... although I'm not sure how possible it really is to pull off a 3D effect in a stereo mp3.

Howard

#1434483 - 05/11/10 02:39 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: hv]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Pretty nice, hv--- as far as it goes. So, where's "Upstairs by a Chinese Lamp"?

#1434518 - 05/11/10 03:24 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: Jeff Clef]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Ha, ha. The wife hasn't learned that one. Yet. But Sue picked up on Nyro's Map arrangement at the Bottom Line concert that borrowed a little of it. Whole piece, btw, complete with Sue's vocal and cat is on YouTube. Same piano but done with the dpa's.

Howard

#1453891 - 06/10/10 08:59 AM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: hv]
Bunneh Offline

Loc: Berlin
I've mentioned above that I found Ryan's recording of Watermark pretty great, but had an issue with the very large stereo separation while using headphones.

So I've gone ahead and applied a cheap trick, adding the right channel at -10db to the left and vice versa. The resulting recording does, to my untrained ear, sound much nicer over headphones. I've heard that some headphone amps do this stereo crossfade in the circuitry, that's where the idea is from...

Here is the modified version:
http://www.box.net/shared/zognqggheq

and Ryan's original:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6kQ2S7...3NjE3&hl=en

What does everyone think? Is this a dangerous process that costs audio quality for some reason? Apart from the obvious mixing and re-compressing of 16bit MP3s of course.

And I hope this was okay with you Ryan!

#1454421 - 06/11/10 02:31 AM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: Bunneh]
Scott_S Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Listened to that modified Watermark recording with some earbuds (didn't have access to my Grados) and it sounded great. Thanks for posting!

Scott

#2103768 - 06/17/13 10:29 AM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: Grandpianoman]
Omer Eilam Offline

Originally Posted By: Grandpianoman
Here is another example with the Avenson STO-2's in a slightly different position.

"Il Postino" http://www.box.net/shared/s4jke70s5l

Resurrecting this thread from 3 years ago smile
I recently purchased the Avenson STO2's and I really like the aforementioned recording. Any chance you can elaborate on your positioning?

Thanks!
omer

#2104451 - 06/18/13 03:14 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: FrankieFrank]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Any suggestion of microphone for use with piano? 88-key piano generate sound frequency from 27.5Hz to 4186Hz, but most microphone on the market has frequency range from 100Hz to 10000Hz.

Yes and therefore most microphones are not good for piano.

I suggest FLAT frequency response from 20 to 20KHz (say 1dB deviation or so max). This eliminates most microphones. IMHO large diaphragms are not good either because their diaphragm is larger than the wavelength of a 20kHz wave. And determine how you want to record: if you want to put the mics right in the piano, you have really huge peak volumes of 130+dB. Many mics and amps can not cope with that. Finally check the dynamic range and noise levels.

#2104455 - 06/18/13 03:21 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: FrankieFrank]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Here are a few of my recordings, DPA4060 with Jecklin disk

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_f...isterieuses.mp3

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/sinding.mp3

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_30/03.%20wouter79%20-%20Prelude,%20Op.32%20No.12.mp3

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_29/08.%20wouter79%20-%20Allegro%20non%20troppo%20in%20c%20minor,%20op.38%20no.2.mp3

And here is a previous discussion on this

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1838148/best%20piano%20microphone.html

#2104468 - 06/18/13 03:50 PM Re: Microphone for Recording Piano [Re: Larry B]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: FrankieFrank
Any suggestion of microphone for use with piano? 88-key piano generate sound frequency from 27.5Hz to 4186Hz, but most microphone on the market has frequency range from 100Hz to 10000Hz.

Frequency range numbers will be meaningless here. Ten different kinds of mics with equivalent "frequency range" specs will all sound different from each other...

Yes. That's because many manufacturers say for example "20H-40kHz" while the actual deviation is already -3dB at 50Hz and dropping fast there (Schoeps CMC6xt http://www.microphone-data.com/microphones/cmc6xt/) . You really need to check the frequency curve and ignore the quoted "frequency response".

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (accordeur, Atrys, angga888, antony, Ashish, 33 invisible), 1210 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251517 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission