Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
117 registered (Abby Pianoman, acoxcae, AndyP, anamnesis, accordeur, 41 invisible), 1552 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1432146 - 05/08/10 10:45 AM Burgmuller Op 100 questions
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
Hi Everyone.

Usually I only post in the Alfred thread, but wanted to start a thread and get some thoughts on the Burgmuller Op 100 book.

I have been going now for just under a year, slowly progressing through the Alfred Book one (completed Greenlseeves now, yay!!)

What I wonder if anyone has used the op 100 in conjunction with Alfred. Piece number two "Arabesque" is actually built in to my Yamaha P-155 and I think its a beautiful piece, but for someone used to Alfred, it looks so much more difficult.

Is it a bad idea to look at this book right now? Should I be further on in Alfred, or perhaps on Book 2 of the Alfred course before looking at the Burgmuller?

Does anyone have any experience as an adult beginner working on the Burgmuller? Is it in line with the difficuly curve a beginner should be attempting?

I read that each piece in Burgmuller Op 100 is designed to work on a specific area of skill improvement, which is a wonderful idea, much more enjoyable in theory than some of the exercises in other books.

Have a great day everyone smile

Edited by starbug (05/08/10 10:46 AM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1432184 - 05/08/10 12:01 PM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: starbug]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
My teacher assigned Arabesque to me as I was mid Alfred three, but no reason you can't work on it. I really like Burgmuller pieces, especially Ballade which is a major test for hand independence.

#1432287 - 05/08/10 02:23 PM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: Mark...]
TinyHands Offline

Loc: Reston, Virginia
I don't know if it's too advance for us. smile (I've never used Alfred so I can't tell the skill level you're at.)

I started talking lesson last September and I've already gone 3 pieces from the book. I am polishing 2 of them for my upcoming recital. I love his work. Each piece has a unique mood, pattern, structure and you definitely learn different skills through the book. Some are easier or harder than others. Make sure you pick the right one to start so it doesn't scare you off. And the best part is that most of them are only one-page long!

I would say go for it unless your teacher (if you have one) says otherwise. smile Or maybe we can start Burgmuller study group here! laugh

Have fun,

TinyHands

#1432306 - 05/08/10 02:56 PM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: TinyHands]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Hey, im working out of it now. The pieces in it really vary in difficulty, from really easy to tricky. Each piece teaches an obvious and useful technique. I was weak at the technique for The Little Party (no. 4 I think...) and it gave me all kinds of fits.

#1432525 - 05/08/10 07:21 PM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: Waltz]
starbug Offline

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll play around with it, but not get too deep until I get further in the Alfred Books.

I am aware that going for pieces too far ahead can leave you feeling frustrated, so I'll revisit this in more gusto once "Alfred" has given me more lessons.

#1432743 - 05/09/10 02:37 AM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: starbug]
fallapart Offline

I think most of the Op 100 pieces are between Grade 2 to 6. Arabesque and Innocence are among the easiest, should be a good place to start.

#1432879 - 05/09/10 10:37 AM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: fallapart]
starbug Offline

Originally Posted By: fallapart
Arabesque and Innocence are among the easiest

Not from where I am sitting cry laugh

This book is a step above the level I am at, but I'll come back to these after perhaps completing book one of the Alfred course.

Thanks for all the input smile

#1432888 - 05/09/10 11:04 AM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: starbug]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
starbug,

If you would like a set of pieces to learn that are at the level of Alfred's Level 1, I would suggest looking into Kabalevsky's 24 Pieces for Children Opus 39. These are easier than the Burgmuller series. (Note that there is also an Opus 27 by Kabalevsky - 30 pieces for children. This set is closer to Burgmuller Opus 100 in level.)

Rich

#1433080 - 05/09/10 04:35 PM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
starbug Offline

Thanks for the suggestion!

#1433724 - 05/10/10 04:12 PM Re: Burgmuller Op 100 questions [Re: starbug]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Starbug, I had finished Bk1 and was half a dozen pieces into Bk2 when I decided to get a teacher at the start of this year. We dropped the Afreds and she has since assigned pieces from various sources, including the Burgmuller Op.100 from which she assigned Arabesque around March. In my case I think she wanted me to work on hand independence first, so we had heavy doses of Bach minuets and other Baroque style pieces. She did occasionally let me come up for air grin with a romantic piece or something from someone like the Fabers.

I don't know if Arabesque will be too much for you or not. The melody does move from one hand to the other at one point. Also, there are plenty of sixteenth notes, which I know Alfred doesn't even get to until late in Bk2, and at least one high speed leap. I can say that getting through it did advance my skills ( I think). I would encourage you to try it but not get too frustrated if you find it a little tough at first. Get it down real solid HS before you even attempt HT, and then do it real real slow. If you really bog down just drop it and come back to it in a few months.

You might also consider Schumann's Album for the Young Op. 68 which is 42 pieces and similar in difficulty to the Burgmuller. Melody is one of the easier ones from the Schumann. Also, you could look for some of the easier pieces from Anna Bach's Notebook, which are available in a number of sources (I use the series "Succeeding with the Masters" ed. by H.Marlais). Finally, having gone the self taught route for nine months and having a teacher for four months now, I would strongly recommend to anyone whose circumstances allow it that they find a good teacher. In fact I can no longer imagine doing this stuff on my own, at least not with the same progress.

Good luck

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 07:55 PM
Request For The Pursuit Of Knowledge
by Louis Podesta
11/28/14 07:09 PM
Kawai K500 or Seiler ED126
by Mizar
11/28/14 07:03 PM
3 sensors per key vs 4?
by AnimistFvR
11/28/14 06:58 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159431 Topics
2341986 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission