Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 183 of 215 < 1 2 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#2162902 - 10/07/13 08:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I agree with everyone else, Cheryl. Find something fun to play! I find the let down after a major effort, like the Grieg recital, happens to me too! You worked so hard on Watchman's Song, that you are probably ready for something completely different!

Sometimes just new material infuses new energy. There are some really fun Sonatinas! Hopefully something fun will come out of your lesson.

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2162912 - 10/07/13 09:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Ragdoll...that sounded like such fun to just play

Yah I found being spontaneous to be so satisfying, and I think a break from practice (even very short ones) to be very rewarding and gratifying. My practice later that evening was more than I had expected too, quite focused. grin

Enjoy the Debussy and Chopin studies.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2162915 - 10/07/13 09:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I'm in a blah place with my piano right now.

I'm sorry to hear that Cas, hope you can find your way out of that soon. I hate when I get down in the narrows and don't want to play. frown

#2162944 - 10/07/13 10:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I don't know what I need, but something. It has been a chore to get to the piano these last 2 weeks.

How about a little Joplin? Am sure Whizbang can find you something. smile
My differences in type of music is what's keeping me going right now. This getting the two hands to work together is really tough. Depressing.

WiseBuff... I thought the Hills were very much like Denver as far as weather. When it's below zero here. Everyone just smiles and says: "Just wait a couple days". Sure enough. In a couple days we see 50f again. That's what I love about the Hills. One morning I woke up here and it was 30f below zero. The next morning I woke up and it was 30f above zero. Hehe!
Can you believe that I can't work yet today? Where I park my truck. There are 3 to 5 foot snow drifts. Have to wait until they get the place plowed. Doh!

#2162947 - 10/07/13 10:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Thanks for the encouragement folks.

I have been looking for "easier" sonatine, and so far I am not inspired by anything I've found - everything just looks too fast, too complicated - I don't feel ready to plunge into something that challenging.
And yet I want a longer piece.

There must be a compromise!
I'll talk to my teacher tomorrow.

I started a new rag and it is amusing, but not grabbing me the way I need to be grabbed right now...I guess these lulls in enthusiasm have to happen once in a while.

#2162967 - 10/07/13 11:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Cheryl, just a thought, have you played this Sonatina? It is not fast, and is very nice. Someone played at the party I was at Saturday. It runs about 3.5 minutes. I love the Romanza.

Beethoven Sonatina in G Major:

Moderato I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av-nH6-c4xQ

Romanza II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4EY3OOO9xk

Beethoven's F major Sonatina is nice too, but it is faster. I have become a major advocate for Sonatinas as a technique builder. The one I am working on has really transformed my hand. I wish I had focussed on them a year ago!

I hope you find something fun!

#2162999 - 10/07/13 12:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Thanks SwissMS, I have played that Sonatina --- I was working on it a couple of years ago and while doing so developed some severe tension problems which took months to get rid of. I abandoned the piece because every time I tried, I could feel the tension coming back. I was going to start with it again this summer, but I keep having a negative reaction to it when I started playing. I hope I can get over that someday, because it really is a sweet piece - but for the moment, it is not on my to-do list.

#2163024 - 10/07/13 01:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I think chopin valse op posthumous. 69 no 2 would be good for you. Koulau Rondo op 49 #2 was fun to study. You can play 3rd mvmnt of Mozart sonata in F K 280 but its damn long. You may feel like dumping the piece in the middle after all. Baltok Bulgarian Rythm no 2 is fun too. In fact look at all of them in the series is fun. I happened to do 2.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2163027 - 10/07/13 01:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

I liked Bartok very much and looks like have done" From the diary of a Fly" too. I recommend it. You might drive your hubby crazy though. But you will have fun.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2163032 - 10/07/13 01:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Also Beethoven 6 variation Kinsky-Halm WoO 70. Thema is definitely enjoyable. It sounds really good and sounds more advanced than it is.

#2163046 - 10/07/13 02:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Wow, lot's going on here! MaryBee, how super cool to have a composition being written for you! Can't wait to hear it!
Ron - congrats on haning on to MOYD under such duress - wow, I'd have been livid!!!
We were without power for about the same amount of time just before Christmas 2 years ago - it wasn't fun, that's for sure.

I'm in a blah place with my piano right now. I have finally got the new fingerings for fixing my Grieg done, but frankly I've just been working on the same pieces for too long. This week I'm supposed to select and get started on a sonatina, and although I want to work on a longer piece, I'm not convinced that this is what I need right now. I don't know what I need, but something. It has been a chore to get to the piano these last 2 weeks.

I have been feeling blah as well. I hate when that happens. I started back after a week off but only to play pieces I know. Maybe my achievement will be to work on a new piece...

#2163047 - 10/07/13 02:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

FarmGirl - I've started checking out the suggestions.
For the Koulau Rondo op 49 #2 - I think you mean Kuhlau? But I can't find Op 49...?
I'll check everything out tomoroow - right now Mr. casinitaly and I are heading out for our ballroom dancing lesson smile

#2163127 - 10/07/13 06:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi all,

I'm not so much a regular writer in this thread, but I want to share my AOTW.

The last half year wasn't a great one for me. Financial stress wasn't very good for concentration and relaxation behind the piano. Funny how the brain works that way.

Now I work for a month at a new learning job, being a cook. But the job isn't sure yet, because the restaurant needs to cut on personal costs. All restaurants in our city have a hard time due to the crisis. But we'll see how long my job lasts.

The first month went not so great either, because I slipped with a pan with boiling hot soup down the stairs. (I know that was stupid, please don't tell me that. But context is everything, so I have to write it). I got the soup all over me. I burned half my face and my right hand to second degree. The worst part was that I couldn't play piano because my hand was taped in.

The right hand is quite recovered now. No pain. So I play the piano again. I work on the moonlight sonata the beginning. I can finally voice my right pinky playing the octave. You know that difficult expression of the melody. Woohoo! I'm so happy.

So strange that so little baby step can bring my mood up. As someone who has just bought a new car or something. smile

That was my aotw. smile

Cheryl: have fun dancing!

Playing since May 02 2009

#2163129 - 10/07/13 06:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl,

Some random thoughts on piano funk cry

Like you I was in a bit of a piano funk as the Summer came to an end. It seemed I'd been working on the same things for months, and that this year in particular I was playing only harder and harder repertoire which was taking longer and longer to master. More hours of practice didn't seem like the answer.

I think my teacher, bless her for it, recognized the symptoms, because just at the right moment she started suggesting things like, hey, why don't you revive something that you played before and really liked so that you can keep it in working order?... (to go with the handful of things that I can play from memory)....

Also she started up with the "throw-away" program that we used to do every week a few years back. You remember...she just assigned an easy, fun piece.....usually from two or three levels below my "real" pieces....and the assignment is just do what you can with it for a week. Don't spend too much time on it, but spend some time every day. And just have fun. I'm pretty much embarassed to name some of these throwaways since they usually have names that kids would like. But I've also actually come to appreciate that perhaps we adults, in our haste to get on to "the good stuff," have really missed an important part of our piano education by skipping lots of music of this type. Part of what we miss is sheer volume. I think the one year I did a lot of these I had something like forty of them, versus what?.. a dozen or less "big pieces"? I'm sure that the folks on our forum that played as children played many, many pieces at the lower levels... probably several years worth.... a hundred pieces? more? In each throw-away I've done so far I can see the pedagogical value, and, while it may be a skill or technique that I'd say "oh, yeah I can handle that", there is nothing like repetition and familiarity to build the kind of self-confidence that is needed at higher levels.

I know it sounds kind of goofy when someone asks what are you working on and I have to honestly reply....oh, part of a Mozart Sonata, an arrangement of a Puccini aria, and Creepy Cat by Bober. LOL grin But that's what I seem to need at the moment.

My AOTW is that Mozart is just about in hand, Puccini is slow but close, Creepy Cat is done for the week, AND I'm having fun, including the "biggies" and the "lil'un's".

Keep the faith, you will work it out C. thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#2163180 - 10/07/13 09:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Enjoy the dance, cas!

My aotw is that I have caught myself holding my breath during sections of Stravinsky's Easy Impossible Pieces.

Maybe the thread about hearing breathing in a recording tipped me off. If I remember to breathe, I can sometimes remember to relax and just play (most of) the notes and not flip out.

#2163211 - 10/07/13 11:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

FarmGirl - I've started checking out the suggestions.
For the Koulau Rondo op 49 #2 - I think you mean Kuhlau? But I can't find Op 49...?
I'll check everything out tomoroow - right now Mr. casinitaly and I are heading out for our ballroom dancing lesson smile

My bad. It was op 40 no 2. I could not see it well. I checked the YouTube. There is one I can find. Don't listen to it. I think it should be played with sweet playfulness. It's not like lemme show you how fast I can play.

#2163226 - 10/08/13 12:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
"Sweet playfulness" sounds pretty fun!

#2163259 - 10/08/13 02:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Chris - what a terrible accident! Thank goodness it wasn't worse! Congratulations on your progress on Moonlight Sonata, that is great news! I hope that things stay stable with your job. Heaven knows these are difficult times - hang in there!

Malkin - I've done the "stop breathing" trick too. It ends up being pretty uncomfortable, doesn't it. I haven't noticed it too much lately, maybe I've gotten over it? hmmmm

Jim, I think you're right, I need some silly light pieces. I don't think my teacher even knows any though frown He's pretty "classical all the way" . I'll have to pick them myself, going back through older material.

FarmGirl - ok, I have to confess, I watched the youtube of K's op 40 N2. I can see that the fellow didn't have to play it that quickly. It is quite a sweet piece - and yet again I look at the score and feel panic!!!!

This is the big problem. I don't feel I've got something that is "just a bit harder" than what I've been doing - and I am not finding pieces that are "just a bit longer" at the level I'm at. I was looking at the Clementi Op36 N2 again last night and "maybe" that does't have to be played as quickly as I fear. It is quite pretty.

I'll be sure to report back after my lesson and share what has transpired!

Thanks so much for the suggestions and encouragment 3hearts
you guys are great!

#2163263 - 10/08/13 03:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Cheryl, it's ok to play this piece slow and steady piece. This is one of those pieces people wound up playing crazy fast out of control. Not because they intend to play fast but they lost control. You see the breath marks my teacher put in the score. I must have been told to slow down, take a breath and keep your tempo (hahaha). If you can keep your tempo, show the dynamics and articulate the rhythm, it will sound great and you will have fun. Just think about it. Did you hear the slurs, the phrases, staccato against legato in that guy's playing? I did not.

I remember my teacher told me to take a tiny breath, a fraction of a second, between A4 and A5 (you see the pink v sign between the A octave). Imagine you are dancing. She said "don't bulldoze your way through. Take a little time before you hop". She was my first piano teacher in this country. Lots of good memories. She moved to San Francisco.

#2163280 - 10/08/13 04:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Getting all the way to the end of a lonnnnnnng piece with no mistakes, then duffing the last note. *sigh* oh well at least the rest was good, which I was stoked about smile

#2163307 - 10/08/13 07:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

My teacher told me she needs to come up with a "No" note. She said one of her children said it should look like a tornado. It's when we start to goof and verbally say: "No". Hesitate, then play it right.

Yesterday was awful trying to work. Owner of my company said this is the worst winter storm he has seen in 31 years of doing this. He said most of the people calling in were doing it to tell us not to worry. They understand. Get them when we can. smile Gonna be a long day today.

Still getting in practice. Starting to. or hoping I'm overcoming the drudgery of a complete fight with my autonomic mind getting both hands to work.

#2163413 - 10/08/13 11:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi cas, this is all 6 sonatinas in OPUS 36 played at 3 different tempos you might find interesting. Hope you can find one you want to learn. Takes awhile to listen to them all though. BTW you're right, No 2 is very pretty. I'm not sure why it starts about 23:00 - just pull it back to the beginning. HTH

#2163756 - 10/09/13 02:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Ragdoll, thanks for the video -

I was a bit confused about what you meant by each being played at 3 tempos - then I realized you were talking about the fact that each sonatina is divided into 3 movements, all of which have their own tempo!

I had originally (as early as 3 years ago!) thought that my first effort would be on the first sonatina in this collection. When I brought it up with my teacher he wasn't very keen on it because "everyone plays it". He didn't say that I could not do it, but he wasn't thrilled.
I thought about that all week and came very close to saying that I don't care how often it is played, I want to play it. In the end I realized I feel drawn to the second and so I am going with it.
I'll keep all the great suggestions my AOTW friends have offered for future reference when I'm braver and more coordinated smile

My lesson yesterday went really nicely. On my Grieg piece I'd made some good improvements and I've just got to work on 3 little things and then I think I'll be ready to re-record it (after I get the piano tuned!) - It is interesting to hear how these little changes are making a significant difference to the piece - it is very rewarding.
My Fughetta also went really well - and now he wants me to bring the tempo up.
Evening in the Meadows went really well and he just had a suggestion for smoothing it out.
On all three pieces I got the much coveted "Good! That's better than the last time" feedback.
So next week I'll just play a few bars from the Grieg, Fughetta up to speed and start on the Sonatina.

I think I may be back on track smile

#2163903 - 10/09/13 12:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

In my previous piano life I had to study some of Clementi's op. 36 sonatinas. I hated them, especially number 1. I was a teen who did not practice (my mother told me recently: when you had time you did not study, now you want to study but do not have much time...), I imagine I had a very hard time with it.

Now I find the sonatinas really nice, but I refuse to pick one and practice it. I explained that to my teacher, and she understands.

#2164032 - 10/09/13 05:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline

I think I may be back on track smile

Oh good... if not, I was going to suggest not focusing on new stuff, and try a few rounds of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6h-Wfq7ub4

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2164042 - 10/09/13 05:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ah, what a difference a day makes.....
..........24 little hours....... laugh

My funk must be over because yesterday I had one of my best lessons ever. Everything went well. Hannon scales in legato thirds, check. Eb minor scale evenly at a blazing (for me) 104 bpm with 4 notes per beat (a leap of 20 bpm over my recent work), check. Weekly throwaway played with just a few bobbles, check. Improvised bass line across multiple octaves to go with lead sheet Unchained Melody, check. Puccini in hand and ready to speed up, check. About half of Mozart in hand and ready to turn to better shaping on the phrases, check.

If ever there was an argument for not taking ourselves too seriously and just enjoying the moment, I am it. Two weeks ago I was pulling my hair out, cussing my demented brain and uncontrolled hands for every flub. For what? That's not what made it better. What worked was doing less, doing it slower, doing it deliberately, and just having some fun. Easy-peasey,huh?

You've gotta love learning to play the piano. There always seems something different and interesting around every corner.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2164050 - 10/09/13 06:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

sorry, couldn't resist.

This always makes me happy..... grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2164123 - 10/09/13 08:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
aTallGuyNH Offline

MaryBee -- I didn't try to play it, but all those 9ths sound like they will be interesting.

PaperClip -- Glad to hear that you are doing better. Burns are very scary stuff.

Originally Posted By: JimF
I know it sounds kind of goofy when someone asks what are you working on and I have to honestly reply....oh, part of a Mozart Sonata, an arrangement of a Puccini aria, and Creepy Cat by Bober.

LOL.. this absolutely slayed me. Mind you, this is from the guy who got stuck on "Oranges & Lemons".

Originally Posted By: JimF
What worked was doing less, doing it slower, doing it deliberately, and just having some fun. Easy-peasey,huh?

When in doubt, just read my sig line!

Originally Posted By: Jessiebear
Getting all the way to the end of a lonnnnnnng piece with no mistakes, then duffing the last note. *sigh* oh well at least the rest was good, which I was stoked about smile

Argggh!! But good for you also.

Originally Posted By: rnaple
Still getting in practice. Starting to. or hoping I'm overcoming the drudgery of a complete fight with my autonomic mind getting both hands to work.

I've been wondering about this for quite some time. I'd never heard the phrase before, so I looked it up finally, and the root bit that seems to be relevant is this, from Merriam-Webster's: "governs involuntary actions (as secretion and peristalsis)". More here: Autonomic Nervous System.

I'm assuming that you mean this literally, i.e. that you feel that playing hands together, or failing to do so as you intend, is a matter of your conscious mind being defeated by your subconscious/nervous system.

Quoting from the "Practice Time" thread:
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I can say here that I cannot allow myself to simply give into the autonomic mind. Can't let it be trained. Thus it training (corrupting) me. I must control it. I must train it, only.

I wonder if maybe you are spending too much time playing hands separate and/or playing too quickly? If you play slowly enough, there's not a thing autonomic about playing the piano. Every movement is completely controlled by your conscious mind. Of course we all have varying degrees of skill in terms of dexterity for expression/dynamics, but that's another story.

And, if you are playing hands together... think of it this way, your hands are not doing two different things. If you slow waaay down, and stop thinking of your hands as two different entities, you have a situation where for each note that is played you have some fingers that are striking a note, others that are holding a note, moving to the next note, and so on. If you start thinking of yourself as having 10 fingers, and focusing on what each should be doing at a given moment, your nervous system will actually be your friend, since it will take care of knowing which hand is which.

I've had a great deal of difficulty when I learn the two hands separately and then try to meld them together -- I feel like they are opposing one another. I think what is happening is that each hand is being learned to the point that it is getting into the autonomic mind (or I'd call it the subconscious, not truly autonomic, but no point in quibbling re: terminology). Once there, the autonomic mind is completely ill-equipped to merge the two together. Likewise, the conscious mind can't harness it either at that point... it would be like dueling auto-pilots on a plane.

It may be worth starting together, or getting them together more quickly than you might otherwise, before they get lodged into the realm of the autonomic mind as separate entities. Just a theory, hope it helps.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2164189 - 10/09/13 11:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Instead of quoting. I'll just respond just behind your post. To make sure I got the spot. Now I'll "edit".

I appreciate your thoughts, TallGuy. I get much of this from wanting to know, a Coach of mine who wanted to know, and from God. (the God of the Bible) I could write a ton on my thinking behind how the mind is made up. I won't.

I can say that I refuse to give the autonomic mind as much credit as to call it my subconscious.

My problem is that I have never had this sophistication of the nervous system. It's very simple. I'm having to create it. It is real drudgery when I want it. Yet it isn't there yet. Yes it is coming.
That kinda leads to an AOTW for me. I've started practicing in the morning before work. Just get in 15 minutes. It's leading to playing 15 minutes here and there also. I'm getting to where that is the first thing I do before anything else. I'm getting home and sit at the keyboard for 15 minutes first. This is very much helping. Enjoying playing more. I'm seeing that I'm developing this sophistication I need.

Edited by rnaple (10/09/13 11:38 PM)

#2164261 - 10/10/13 02:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Torquenale - I hear you on "refusing" to play certain pieces - and I agree. There is so much music available that we shouldn't have to play stuff that (for whatever reason) we don't really want to. If it is technique we have to learn, it can be learned elsewhere.

TallGuy, you made me laugh! I was wondering what you wanted me to try! smile I actually do play that regularly because it is such a peppy little piece, and that cascade of triplets took me forever to learn - I don't want to lose it!

Caro Giacomo! So glad your lesson went well - doesn't that just leave you with a "high" that is hard to explain to non-piano folks?
Originally Posted By: Giacomo
If ever there was an argument for not taking ourselves too seriously and just enjoying the moment, I am it. Two weeks ago I was pulling my hair out, cussing my demented brain and uncontrolled hands for every flub. For what? That's not what made it better. What worked was doing less, doing it slower, doing it deliberately, and just having some fun. Easy-peasey,huh?

I think that every one of us has been there more than once.... why is it that we don't learn to hold on to this thought?

You spoke of Hanon - my teacher has suggested I do some Czerny. I did some with my first teacher and really enjoyed the exercises. I'm curious to see which Czerny he'll bring for me to work on.

Jessiebear - sounds like you are doing extremely well - I bet that shortly you'll make it all the way through ! But even if you don't, remember that what is a glaring error to you is often not noticed by the audience!

Ron, it strikes me as so very weird that you're experiencing winter storms and we aren't even at mid-October! wow.... I hope this is NOT a sign of what the real winter is going be when it hits!!! As for your progress - I see that you're getting into the swing of more sessions. That's what I did at the beginning: tons and tons of short sessions. My brain and hands couldn't handle more than 10-15 minutes at a time, I would be exhausted.

So much of the frustration we have as adult learners comes from the expectation that we "should" be able to do this. We are competent in many areas, we can multitask in many environments, we can do a long list of thing while we are on "auto-pilot" - and we don't remember learning to do them. We can't remember a time when we didn't know how to tie our shoes or break an egg neatly, or pour liquids from a really big container into a small one, or type. We don't remember the knots, the broken shells and yolks (well, I still get those sometimes smile ) , the spills, and the horrendous typos.

Yet now we do all of these things without even thinking about them.

There are some things I can do on the piano without thinking too much, but frankly, not many.

We really have to learn how to be patient with ourselves and accept that yes, it takes much longer than we thought/had hoped to make significant progress. That's one of the reasons we have this thread - to help us focus on the baby steps and then realize how far we have come.
It is rare to have a huge leap in abilities, so the majority of us toddle along together in excellent company smile

Page 183 of 215 < 1 2 ... 181 182 183 184 185 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (36251, adanepst, accordeur, acortot, 41 invisible), 1726 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249334 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
04/16/14 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
04/16/14 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission