Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 192 of 228 < 1 2 ... 190 191 192 193 194 ... 227 228 >
Topic Options
#2191160 - 12/01/13 11:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
CarlosCC, SwissMS, Ragdoll, CasinItaly, ATallGuyNH, EarlofMar, RNaple, WiseBuff and all the other regulars on AOTW and PianoWorld,

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes, the sentiments are appreciated.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2192352 - 12/04/13 10:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Sand Tiger, my condolences on your loss. My mother passed in November five years ago, and I think of her every day. She gave me a childhood filled with music, and I was very happy that I’d taken up piano shortly before her death and was able to play a bit for her at her last birthday party.

You showed great presence of mind to play at your father’s funeral, and I’m sure those in attendance took comfort in your final gift to him.

#2192514 - 12/04/13 04:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
I'm so sorry to hear of you loss, Sand Tiger.
I think that playing at the funeral has been a comfort for you, a way to say goodbye to your father.

#2192765 - 12/05/13 02:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
I can play my Beethoven bagatelle all through no glitches consistently now. From cold. Almost from memory. I'm still scared to shut the book. It won't take much longer. It is so freeing to get to this point.
My Chopin is still a challenge though I can relax and enjoy playing the first three pages. Probably another month to really finish off, especially with holiday visiting ahead. I played it great after our trip to Mexico earlier but then promptly made every mistake possible the next day!
I'm beginning to 'feel' the rhythmn of my Bop goes the Weasle riff and it's fun to try something so different.
Why do my fingers keep wandering off of the walking bass line! I find some of the twist and turns so counterintuitive and stumble around all over the place yet what is easier than one note at a time!
Fun for the holidays my teacher found some neat arrangement of the classic tunes you hear endlessly. NOT 'Jingle bells' again was what I had to say but in 6/8 time with a bit of a riff line going, it's fun!
Got out Claire de Lune for a re-learn after 40+ years - that's quite a break and not so many grey cells left!
Lesson tomorrow so hope I can show some progress.

#2193561 - 12/06/13 03:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

I bought a book of Christmas tunes and I use it for sight reading.
I had my piano tuned.
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!
I have the notes right in the easiest Song without words (op. 30 n.3), now I must work a lot to pull out the melody from the right hand chords.

Lesson next week, maybe we will choose something new...

#2193666 - 12/06/13 08:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
[quote Sand tiger][/quote]
Funerals have a way of creating perspective. Enjoy the journey.

So very true. My condolences, along with so many other virtual friends.It touches us all.

#2193737 - 12/07/13 12:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good work, Palmpirate. It's always a pleasure to be able to report progress. Torquenale, keep up the good work with the Mozart. Btw, I love the idea of using Christmas music for sight-reading. I very much need to add regular sight-reading exercises to my daily practice, and knowing what the music is *supposed* to sound like could be helpful. Besides ... tis the season. Glad to hear you had your piano tuned. It's always more fun to play afterwards, isn't it?

My achievement for the week might sound a bit backwards, but I've given up preparing Chopin's Waltz in A Minor (posth) for my piano teacher's Dec. 14 party and am back to a piece I was working on earlier, the lovely Smile, composed by Charlie Chaplin. In a nutshell, I realized last weekend that I simply could not get the Chopin in hand in time to do it any kind of justice. I don't regret a minute spent on the piece, which I will continue to develop. I told my teacher I'll play it at her next party. That gives me until May, lol.

Everything's a learning experience. smile

Edited by piano_deb (12/07/13 12:35 AM)

#2193861 - 12/07/13 09:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: torquenale]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: torquenale
I had my piano tuned.
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!.........

LOL. Torquenale, please stop writing my posts for me wink

Last summer somebody recommended "Christmastime for All" as good sightreading material, so I picked it up and forgot about it. Then a while back my teacher asked if I had any material for 1 week toss-offs (that we do just for reading value). So I've been essentially sightreading these for the last month and having a ball doing it.

AND ...
Quote:
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!
<<======= me too!

Oh, and my tuner is due next week grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2193906 - 12/07/13 10:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Made a recording of the Sick Doll to see if it's ready for the Ecco Fatte Café.. Unfortunately it sounds very imperfect. (Also recordingwise, lots of noise and cracks, suppose a good microphone is a better idea then using my videocamera)
Still very far from the goal playing it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GyGr-ovhYU

Luckily I don't have to post it before April (Tchaikovsky recital), also noticed that playing it for a videocamera makes it just as bad as playing for my teacher.. (I think I play better when he's not there ;))

Ok Achievement time: Played the first couple of pieces of my new "Classics to Moderns" book from D. Agay)
Händel - Gavotte and some other stuff.
Fun book.

#2193908 - 12/07/13 10:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
500 Post Club Member

All thanks by the way for you congratulations! It is a busy time here wink

Sand Tiger, All the best with your loss..

#2194143 - 12/07/13 06:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
My AOTW is... I finally have two new Christmas songs in both hands. Not quite up to tempo in places but it's coming along. At the expense of my regular study I might add. But what the heck, it's almost ready to face the dreaded Red Dot. eek smile I hope before Dec 24.

Worked on CBTS today for the first time in 3 days YIKES! Gotta get back to my routine practice.

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2194298 - 12/07/13 11:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wimpiano, thank you for introducing me to such an evocative piece. I suspect you hear more imperfections than your listeners; I quite enjoyed your playing, which conveyed a depth of emotion.

Please do share in the Ecco Fatte Café when ready. I don't suppose posting here will prevent you from making an initial "public" performamce in the Café thread. smile

-----------
EDITED TO ADD

Pulled out some Christmas tunes for sight-reading practice today. Good idea, mixed results ... my sight-reading is for the birds! Yes, that is certainly proof that I need to do *more* of it. Onwards and upwards.

Edited by piano_deb (12/07/13 11:50 PM)

#2194357 - 12/08/13 02:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
500 Post Club Member

Hi @piano_deb sorry, that (youtube link) is Mikhail Pletnev playing it. I wish it was me. My goal is to play it like that. Sorry if I didn't make that enough clear.

My current playing is more a technical representation of the notes.
Boring actually, little variation in the dynamics. Sometimes the tempo is not correct.

What especially bothers me is that I cannot get it to sound smooth.. The highest notes also don't have this nice sustain, perhaps I should use the pedal there?

Edited by wimpiano (12/08/13 02:55 AM)

#2194373 - 12/08/13 04:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
Hello. Hisashiburi desu. Do you remember me?

My achievement of the week was to sit down at the piano and play for the first time since August 3.

The last time I posted here, I was getting over troubles with a ganglion cyst, and months of playing right hand only. Well, guess what happened next?! I broke my left wrist! A distal radius fracture that required pins. I'm just now getting enough strength and mobility back to be able to think about playing. It's a bit painful, but no more than any other physical therapy, and I'm taking it really slow.

I did phone my piano teacher from the emergency room, full of morphine, to let her know I wasn't going to make it to my lesson that night!

#2194416 - 12/08/13 08:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Wimpiano - remember, it will never be perfect. It is a nice piece and fun to play. The fact that you can hear your imperfections is actually a huge positive....it means you understand the musical requirements and have a good idea of how to improve the way you play it. Sometimes they just have to ripen for while.

MaryAnn - Welcome back thumb to AOTW and to your piano. Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I like the idea of piano as physical therapy....not much of stretch from there to mental therapy, which strikes me as the other thing piano is great for.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2194444 - 12/08/13 10:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Week 91: About the only thing I can claim is practicing every day. With the week away, and limited time, there is only so much I can do. Have a good week everyone.

#2194540 - 12/08/13 02:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
torquenale Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Originally Posted By: torquenale
I had my piano tuned.
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!.........

LOL. Torquenale, please stop writing my posts for me wink

smile ha

My Mozart piece is different, and my piano is a modest upright... wink

#2194542 - 12/08/13 03:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Achievement: Am learning the A and B sections of The Easy Money for the Joplin recital and after a month of hard practice with LH and RH, I can finally put them together (slowly) for part A. The goal may be attainable!

#2194547 - 12/08/13 03:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Yea, AZ Astro!

Cathy

#2194557 - 12/08/13 03:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sand Tiger]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger
Week 91: About the only thing I can claim is practicing every day. With the week away, and limited time, there is only so much I can do. Have a good week everyone.

It's a laudable achievement, especially under the circumstances.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2194563 - 12/08/13 03:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Welcome back, MaryAnn! It sounds like you have some awful luck! A broken wrist is no small matter. I have found piano playing very rehabilitating so hopefully, it will help you quickly regain strength and dexterity.

AZ Astro - These Joplin pieces seem to be challenging for everyone. Congratulations on your progress.

Ragdoll- Will we hear your Christmas piece in the Holiday thread?

Piano deb- Good for you deciding not to play the Chopin Waltz before it is ready. That is a tough decision, but is better than having a bad experience performing something that isn't comfortable yet. Now you can relax and enjoy playing at the party!

I do not have a specific AOTW this week, just steady progress. I am stumbling along without a teacher until the second week of January, so I am trying to be a good student, and apply what I have learned. All my pieces are coming along. One thing I have noticed is I seem to learn pieces more quickly than I did a few months ago. The steady stream of deadlines- themed recitals, quarterly recitals, live recitals, have really focused my practice and improved my efficiency. I just love this forum!

#2194620 - 12/08/13 05:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Ragdoll- Will we hear your Christmas piece in the Holiday thread?

I certainly hope so SwissMS. If I'm not able to get a good recording of the new piece soon, I'll surely post something Holidayish. Holidayish! Is that even a word? Well it is now. grin

#2194631 - 12/08/13 05:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted By: Sand Tiger

It's a laudable achievement, especially under the circumstances.

Amen to that. Sand Tiger--sometimes getting through is a big accomplishment. Keep up the good work!

#2194637 - 12/08/13 05:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
I was perusing "easy" piano music and was reading Mozart's Sonata in C, K545. I didn't actually know what I was reading though... i.e. I'm familiar with the piece (virtually anyone would be who has had even minimal exposure to classical music -- look it up and you'll see, or rather hear what I mean) but I didn't know it's name.

So, I'm reading along, trying to imagine the music (in my head) just by reading the notes, when after a couple dozen measures I realized that I actually recognized the music in my head! Really? Did I have it right? Went to YouTube... yep, I was actually reading music off a page, away from an instrument, in a meaningful way. Crazy! I would not have been able to do that six months ago.

That was me back in May.

I managed to do this again today. It was with a hymn that I've only heard/sung once, that I can recall anyway, which was at a hymn sing away from home back in October. I really liked the tune, but forgot to make note of what it was at the time.

This morning, we were reading the verses of the hymn (an odd and unusual thing, not sure why we did that). I decided to read the music as everyone was reciting the lyrics. I imagine the lyrics may have helped subconsciously, but I was definitely hearing the notes that I was reading, at least in relative pitch. After just a couple bars I thought "Hmmmm... this 'sounds' like that new one I liked from the hymn sing." By the end of the verse, I was certain.

Great fun! And, this time I knew for certain, without needing to check YouTube (it wasn't sung or played at all today, just recited). Lyrics were definitely a factor on that aspect, but still, it felt good overall.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2195853 - 12/11/13 01:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Happy Birthday casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loved reading everyone's news.
Welcome back MaryAnn - you sure have had a rough time. I hope you can get back into playing without discomfort|

I had a not-very-satisfying lesson last week. Another case of thinking I was at a certain point and trying to pick up my tempo to show what I could do...and flubbing miserably.
This past week I worked hard at getting it right (Clementi Op36 N2) and did huge amounts of focused practice and SLOWED IT DOWN.
I still flubbed at the lesson a bit, but I think we all know the difference between out of control flubs and flubs where you just miss on the positioning.

Fortunately I really like this piece because I can see how much more work it is going to take to pull it together for a performance.

I've been playing a bit of Christmas music but not that much. My "Oh Holy Night" is coming along nicely.

Lots of baking and cooking up a storm going on in our home. We had a ravioli making fest on the weekend and have lots of the little goodies in the freezer to enjoy over the holidays - and a tourtiere (French Canadian meat pie) - plus the Christmas cakes and puddings... and today or Tomorrow I start on my coconut-walnut-hazelnut squares. My AOTW for the coming week will likely be in the kitchen rather than at the piano!
(oh, btw - we don't eat all those sweets on our own - they are for sharing and for gifts too!! smile

Edited by casinitaly (12/11/13 01:45 AM)

#2195892 - 12/11/13 06:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
@Palmpirate - Looking forward to listen your Bethoven and Chopin pieces thumb
@torquenale - A tuned piano and a Christmas song book? What are you waiting for?
@piano_deb - A teacher party seems to be fun. Are you ready?
@wimpiano - Thanks for sharing thumb
@Ragdoll - Looking forward to listen your Christmas song!
@MaryAnn - Welcome back, and get better soon!
@Sand Tiger - Life's not easy... Practicing every day is also what I try to do...
@AZ_Astro - Congrats with your progress!
@aTallGuyNH - "trying to imagine the music (in my head)" - Good approach!
@casinitaly - Christmas time = busy times! looking forward to listen your "Oh Holy Night"

As I told in other thread: I've been too busy with job/family stuff and, unfortunately, my piano time is decreasing every day. To make things more difficult, I have some extra tasks related with the TV program: we've been visiting some places to do the filming - I tested several pianos in amazing places! -, and the producer is requesting my presence in some meetings with the TV crew.
So, busy times, as you can see.

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2196047 - 12/11/13 12:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
@Ragdoll - Looking forward to listen your Christmas song!

Thanks Carlos, I have saved a Box recording of my first attempts with both hands together just so I can gauge if I'm really improving until/if I get one that I won't be embarrassed to put up in PW. I don't know if there is a deadline for the "Holiday" thread but if I can't get it before Dec 25, well, it's not strictly speaking A "Christmas" song so I suppose I've got until Dec 31. grin

This book came with a CD accompaniment; I may try to record with it this week and see if I can stay on tempo with it. FWIW My song is "Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!" from Faber's "Christmas for All Time" book 2

#2196179 - 12/11/13 04:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Ragdoll,

LOL. grin I picked that one as my throw away this week. Just started this morning. Last week was Oh, Holy Night, which I think Cheryl is working on too. Have fun with it, you needn't make it perfect to show it off to us. thumb

Edited by JimF (12/11/13 04:31 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#2196207 - 12/11/13 05:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Don't have any single ATOW but having my last lesson before the summer holidays (and yes it's hot down here) concludes my first year of lessons. Feeling pretty darn good about how far I have come in that year. Last year over the break I was struggling to learn my only piece at the time, a simple version of The Can Can while during this break I will be attempting the Moonlight Sonata.

#2196280 - 12/11/13 08:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
I must confess..... big big excitement... I ordered me a VPC. Shipped out today.
Ever since my M8000 went down. Haven't had feel for the keys on my old entry level DP. It just ain't there. I've been missing my M8000. So I've tightened my financial belt. Very excited and looking forward to my VPC.

Page 192 of 228 < 1 2 ... 190 191 192 193 194 ... 227 228 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
130 registered (ajames, AndrewJCW, Abby Pianoman, 37 invisible), 1618 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156250 Topics
2294705 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Viennese vs sustain vs DOA tuned unisons and temperament
by gynnis
13 minutes 30 seconds ago
casinitaly! Many happy returns of the day!
by malkin
Today at 08:30 AM
T.J. Rochford Piano, trying to uncover some history
by Mikey Bob
Today at 07:58 AM
How to study harmony through Bach
by ttttcrngyblflpp
Today at 07:58 AM
Gustav Lutz?
by MartaG
Today at 06:37 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission