Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
99 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, 32 invisible), 1435 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 193 of 245 < 1 2 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 244 245 >
Topic Options
#2196287 - 12/11/13 08:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: rnaple
I must confess..... big big excitement... I ordered me a VPC. Shipped out today.
Ever since my M8000 went down. Haven't had feel for the keys on my old entry level DP. It just ain't there. I've been missing my M8000. So I've tightened my financial belt. Very excited and looking forward to my VPC.

Jealous

Cathy

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2196300 - 12/11/13 09:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I picked that one as my throw away this week.

I'm not sure what that means, did you decide not to do it?
Quote:
Have fun with it, you needn't make it perfect to show it off to us.

Oh you can be sure it won't be perfect grin It has very nice harmonies and I really am having fun with it. I think the score in this book is original too as it attributes the lyrics to Sammy Cahn and music to Jule Styne.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2196316 - 12/11/13 10:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: jotur

Jealous

Cathy

OH Cathy.... Thank you. Seriously...it's not like I got myself a nice acoustic. It's about as close as I can get though. It's the best I can do. I seriously don't have the feel with this older entry level DP. I also admit....I found through pianoteq that it doesn't have the midi response it really should. Gee... Loved my M8000...rip

Also I appreciate your support on my Xmas song. I'm looking into figuring out how to convert to MP3 without higher notes in "f" sounding like bells. I hope to do much better recordings. Playing also.

I have to admit. This uploading recordings. It helps with practice on recording. Getting things right. Weed out the problems now. These recitals are good.

#2196493 - 12/12/13 11:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Originally Posted By: ragdoll
I'm not sure what that means, did you decide not to do it?

Oh, I'm sorry ragdoll, I have written about the "throw-aways" so many times that I make the mistake of assuming everyone knows what the heck I'm saying... my bad.

There was a recent post about it here...

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post2195176

I agree with you, the harmony in that arrangement is really pretty.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2196552 - 12/12/13 01:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
@ JimF

Very interesting thread Jim, thanks for pointing it out to me. I'm getting pretty close to a final red dot session with it now but those never seem to go well for me. I've saved an imperfect (big time) one that I'll post if I can't get a better one before time runs out. whome

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2197380 - 12/14/13 07:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

I received my VPC yesterday.
I need to change the opinion that it isn't like I got an acoustic.
It is like I got an acoustic.
This is one seriously good keyboard.
It works with Ivory better than anything.
I can see that if/when I get an acoustic. I'll have to be in a completely different money situation. Get a really good grand. Otherwise, I'm doing really good with this.
I'm beyond excited. This is seriously nice.

I can get back on track training my nervous system...right. Getting it down, right, technically.

#2197398 - 12/14/13 09:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: rnaple
I received my VPC yesterday.
I need to change the opinion that it isn't like I got an acoustic.
It is like I got an acoustic.
This is one seriously good keyboard.
It works with Ivory better than anything.
I can see that if/when I get an acoustic. I'll have to be in a completely different money situation. Get a really good grand. Otherwise, I'm doing really good with this.
I'm beyond excited. This is seriously nice.

I can get back on track training my nervous system...right. Getting it down, right, technically.

Congrats Ron! Very cool... I looked up the VPC the other day and it is very impressive looking.

Might we hear your VPC in an upcoming quarterly recital? smile

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2197458 - 12/14/13 11:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
CarlosCC, I actually did a recording of the Beethoven on my ipad. When I turned round to turn it on I looked so scared I frightened myself! It didn't sound so bad but I think after a few more goes and I relax a bit then I'll get a 'take' I feel ok about posting!
It's just past my one year anniversary of returning to the keys and I am so glad I did. I'm no longer terrified of touching the keys and 'know' where the different notes are again. What I mean is I don't have to look all the time to reach for different keys, well, except for checking how many ledger lines down or up in some of Chopin , but I can hit them right even with those very big leaps particularly in the left hand.
The Beethoven was really to 'get me back playing'. It was easier than the Bach at first, which I am picking up again after Xmas.
I also had a go at Claire de Lune again and since I learned it as a young teen without really good guidance I am struggling to relearn some unintuitive fingering stuck in my unconscious! What a difference a good teacher makes. How I wish I had had one in my youth, but then I wouldn't have this joy today.
I downloaded piamusic on my ipad and will take my scores to Colorado when visiting my talented musician sons. I will at least try the 6/8 time Jingle Bells which will suprize them and maybe they'll jam along!
I read through all your stories but not so very adapt at quoting and taking notes. Know that I do think of you in your trials and your joys.
Best wishes to all of you, my virtual piano friends!

#2197563 - 12/14/13 02:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Might we hear your VPC in an upcoming quarterly recital? smile

Oh yes. I didn't have much thought on doing recitals. I've found them valuable to work out the wrinkles in the process of putting a sound file online. See how it ends up.
I'm in the Joplin recital.
As far as actually hearing. It will have to be one of my Ivory II Grands. I have to be very wise on money now. Stretched it getting this VPC. I really needed it though.

Edited by rnaple (12/14/13 02:53 PM)
Edit Reason: More old man dribble.

#2197817 - 12/15/13 03:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hi ABF, I Just came back from my NY business trip late last night. This morning, I recorded Chopin mazurka op 63 no3 for the Chopin e-cital for PC. I have not touched the piano for 8 days out of 10 day trip. It was tough but done (yay!). After I listened to the recording, I realized that I could have done differently but, it's too late. I had a Christmas party tonight and I will have another one tomorrow. It's nice to be back to the piano and forum.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2197889 - 12/15/13 09:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sand Tiger Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Rnaple, congrats on the new rig.
Farmgirl, welcome back from your trip.

Week 92: Same as last week, not much going on. I poke away at the melody for Hark the Herald Angels Sing. Way too late to do a full work up at the pace that I learn songs.

#2197969 - 12/15/13 02:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Hey, guys! Long time no see!

I'd been playing very little since the beginning of October. First, I injured my back, resulting in an intervertebral disk rupture, which is ... not pretty. Also pretty painful, especially in combination with attempted use of the sustain pedal, or when trying to get onto the piano bench! So, very little piano for about four weeks. Then, I broke my collar bone. No piano at all for about four weeks.

But yesterday, I played in the class recital at my music school, and it went ... well, it went. I had shaky hands, sweaty palms, blurred vision, ... you know: the works. I skipped some notes that were supposed to be there, played some that weren't supposed to be there, and stumbled once (I think). But the general idea was still there on all fronts (notes, rhythm, dynamics). I never stopped, never lost track of the overall line in the music, and in the end, I managed to deliver a hopefully acceptable rendition of both my pieces. Under the circumstances, I'm going to call that a victory -- especially since I'd *tried* to play one of those pieces at my lesson the week before, but failed miserably.

So my achievement of the week is beating the odds. By all rights, I should have bombed on this recital, and I didn't.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2197973 - 12/15/13 02:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Saranoya...was wondering where you've been. I was MIA for a while also and just recently started up here again. I noticed you haven't been on as well. I'm sorry to hear about your injuries, but I'm glad you're feeling better and well enough to perform at your recital. That's a wonderful AOTW!

#2198012 - 12/15/13 03:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi, Elle!

I wasn't *really* gone ... but I've been gone from this thread for quite a while now (August 4 was my last post here, apparently), simply because I didn't have much in the way of real achievements to report. Thanks for the 'welcome back' smile.

I've been keeping an eye on you through SoundCloud. Quite liked your 'River flows in me'. I can see you're still moving at the pace of a shooting star. Good for you! I sincerely hope your music is helping you cope with the [censored] life throws at you the way it does for me.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2198028 - 12/15/13 03:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good to hear from you again Sara. Hope you feel better soon. Congrats on surviving the recital. Sounds like a victory to me.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2198029 - 12/15/13 03:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
lautreamont Offline

This week I learned my first piece, Chopin's Mazurka in F minor, op 63 no. 2. Although it's not polished yet, it's a huge relief that I actually learned something through, and I'm glad that my first piece is something that musically, I find interesting, rather than something I wouldn't enjoy listening to.

I've already learned the first part of op. 63 no. 3, and I'm currently in an awkward stage of learning the a minor waltz, op. posthumous.

#2198044 - 12/15/13 03:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lautreamont]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Welcome back Saranoya. Wow, it sounds like you have been through some difficult times. Doing a recital after all of that is amazing!

I have no major AOTW, just steady progress. I am in the US staying with my Mom, and she commented that she can really hear progress on my pieces in the three weeks I have been here, and they were sounding pretty good. That really made my day. OK, Moms are prejudiced towards their kids, but it was still nice to hear!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2198063 - 12/15/13 04:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
paul1971 Offline

Well new here so...completed lullaby from Alfreds book one, starting on the can can. Slow progress at the moment but trying to play everyday for half hour at least. Difficult due to living in caravan and dp is big compared to living area.

Edited by paul1971 (12/15/13 04:32 PM)

#2198090 - 12/15/13 05:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lautreamont]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: lautreamont
This week I learned my first piece, Chopin's Mazurka in F minor, op 63 no. 2. Although it's not polished yet, it's a huge relief that I actually learned something through, and I'm glad that my first piece is something that musically, I find interesting, rather than something I wouldn't enjoy listening to.

Wait ... are you saying that you're a beginner piano student, and *the very first piece you ever learned* was this one?

My first thought, honestly, is that I must be missing something here. But if I'm not, then wow.

I mean, *wow*.

That's huge.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2198110 - 12/15/13 05:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: paul1971]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: paul1971
Well new here so...completed lullaby from Alfreds book one, starting on the can can. Slow progress at the moment but trying to play everyday for half hour at least. Difficult due to living in caravan and dp is big compared to living area.

You are to be commended, above all else, for your dedication under difficult circumstances. I hope you're able to keep it up for a long, long time.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2198164 - 12/15/13 06:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Saranoya
Hey, guys! Long time no see!

I'd been playing very little since the beginning of October.

Welcome back Saranoya, I assumed you were absent because you were intently learning new pieces to astound us with. Throwing yourself at the piano literally will result in broken bones.........I hope you have learned your lesson.

Btw, congratulations on the recital

#2198168 - 12/15/13 07:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: paul1971]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: paul1971

paul1971, in the tradition of Monty Python......living in a caravan, you lucky so and so.

#2198223 - 12/15/13 08:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

What got me excited was that I revisited a piece of music that I hadn't played for a while and was a bit rusty. I soon picked it up and played it like I hadnt stopped...

#2198246 - 12/15/13 09:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
lautreamont Offline

Yes, that's it, but that's not how mine sounds yet, unfortunately. I've been playing intermittently for a couple years now. Very intermittently, with sometimes months between practices. I've improvised extensively and learned tons of snippets from various composers, but I've had a problem of overreaching, self-doubt, and, sometimes, boredom with repertoire that I know would help me advance my technique but whose harmonies leave me feeling flat. I've also played scales, arpeggios, etc., as well as Blanchet exercises, which can be quite difficult. So I have an extremely modest appreciation of the very rudiments of playing.

And let me stress that I learned the piece, but I haven't mastered it yet. The middle section gives me quite a bit of trouble, especially the part where the right hand takes two voices--I either slow down to play it accurately or don't accent the upper notes enough. My mordents with the 3rd and 4th fingers could also use more consistency, and, overall, I need to play the middle section with better dynamics--it's a bit monotonous now, since it's currently at the upper limit of my ability. I'm quite far from having it up to a level I would want to share even with friends and family.

It's really exciting, though, to have progressed as far as I have, even though I have quite a ways to go yet. I know that I have been improving, but not actually knowing a complete piece was gnawing away at my confidence. So getting one under my belt is timely. Oddly, I'm having a lot more difficulty with Chopin's posthumous A minor Waltz, which sounds easier, on the surface. The distribution of notes, however, means that I need to be more precise with my fingering, and I'm realizing that my right hand is better descending than ascending. But, with my experience with 63 no 2, I know that if I just keep at something, I can meet the challenge.

#2198514 - 12/16/13 12:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Originally Posted By: SwissMS
Piano deb- Good for you deciding not to play the Chopin Waltz before it is ready. That is a tough decision, but is better than having a bad experience performing something that isn't comfortable yet. Now you can relax and enjoy playing at the party!

I do not have a specific AOTW this week, just steady progress. I am stumbling along without a teacher until the second week of January, so I am trying to be a good student, and apply what I have learned. All my pieces are coming along. One thing I have noticed is I seem to learn pieces more quickly than I did a few months ago. The steady stream of deadlines- themed recitals, quarterly recitals, live recitals, have really focused my practice and improved my efficiency. I just love this forum!

Thanks for the kind words, SwissMS. I am very glad I didn’t try the Chopin since I barely managed to get through “Smile.” Oh, my. Shaking hands and a pounding heart … and it all got *worse* as the piece went on. In any event, I only had one flub. That was excellent as my practice the previous week was an ongoing train wreck. I believe (and my teacher nodded sagely in quiet agreement when I mentioned it) that I’ve rather shot myself in the foot by focusing so much practice time on specific pieces and abandoning scales, Hanon, sight-reading, etc. It’s back to the salt mines this week, lol.

I’m glad you’re making steady progress! It can be difficult to stay focused and on-track without a teacher, especially during the holidays when time is short and schedules are jammed.

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
@piano_deb - A teacher party seems to be fun. Are you ready?
As I told in other thread: I've been too busy with job/family stuff and, unfortunately, my piano time is decreasing every day. To make things more difficult, I have some extra tasks related with the TV program: we've been visiting some places to do the filming - I tested several pianos in amazing places! -, and the producer is requesting my presence in some meetings with the TV crew.
So, busy times, as you can see.

Thanks for thinking of me, Carlos. I did manage to prepare … but it was nerve-wracking. Tell me it gets easier!
What an exciting time for you. I know it must be tough to have other responsibilities pull you away from the piano, but the payoff will be grand … Wait, I think that’s a piano pun. wink In any event, I hope you’re enjoying all the other activities. Getting to try out all the pianos in various locations sounds fantastic.

---
I apologize for not commenting on everyone’s progress and accomplishments … It’s always so fun to read this thread and hard to keep up. I hope you are all having happy holidays and enjoying whatever time you can spend on the bench!

#2198642 - 12/16/13 04:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
Saranoya, I'm sorry to hear you had troubled times and glad that you are back here!

My AOTW: I posted on Ecco Fatto Cafè. I still can't believe it.

#2198665 - 12/16/13 04:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Glad you are back Saranoya. I knew nothing could keep you away for too long.
Hope you have a speedy recovery from the injuries.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2198667 - 12/16/13 04:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Meanwhile, this formatting business with all the posts being center justified is getting really annoying bah(see various threads in the past week). I can't believe the techs at PW can't come up with a fix so that those of us who work on IE can see things left justified as we always have.

WT-H? confused

Estonia L190 #7284

#2198673 - 12/16/13 04:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
WoodenKeys Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Hmmm...I'm using Chrome and it is properly left justified.

#2198687 - 12/16/13 05:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
I normally read in Firefox. Left justfied. Switched to IE. Still left justified! What are you folks getting?

Page 193 of 245 < 1 2 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 244 245 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
11/23/14 09:35 PM
my struggle to learn pop piano
by carojm36
11/23/14 08:51 PM
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
11/23/14 07:20 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159306 Topics
2340142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission