2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 272 of 540 1 2 270 271 272 273 274 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finally my piano lessons are scheduled: on Friday afternoon, every second week.
I'm starting next week, when I will know how many bad habits I have learnt during summer...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Is it an achievement? I dunno, but it was fun.

As folks following the Joplin thread may know, I've been out of town with limited computer access.

Where? Well, a B & B.

When I booked it, I booked looking for one that had a piano.

What I didn't know was that their piano was a 9' well-regulated Steinway D.

ZOMG.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Whizbang

Nice! I hope your weekend plans also allowed for plenty of time to enjoy it!
(limited internet can help with that too smile )

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by tangleweeds

I hope your weekend plans also allowed for plenty of time to enjoy it!

Subject to the grumblings of a cranky spouse... but I'm sure none of you have ever had to deal with that!

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by tangleweeds

I hope your weekend plans also allowed for plenty of time to enjoy it!

Subject to the grumblings of a cranky spouse...

OH they always get cranky when you're sleeping with a 9' Steinway. smile

Did they even serve you breakfast at the Steinway?

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My AOTW is that I played through 2 of my pieces without once taking my eyes away from the music. Admittedly, there were more than a few clunkers the first time. Fewer the second time and fewer still the third.

A terrible habit of old was that once I memorized a piece, I no longer read the score so when I hit a clunker then, I could not find my place back in the score without major hesitation.

I believe I have learned to keep the music in my eyes until such time as I truly have it memorized and not just telling myself that I have done so. smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
This is one of those only in LA stories:
The other day I arrive at the piano store to teach my morning students and there is a news crew there from Fox TV ready to start talking about the new minimum wage law in California. I didn't want to interrupt my students but my first one was late which gave me a chance to speak my mind about how I think musicians should all get at least 10 dollars an hour and I made a few clever (I hoped) comments to the news crew. Two hours later, I was on the national broadcast of MONEY with Melissa Francis on FOX BUSINESS....and there I was with the piano store logo visible in the background and they used about 30 seconds of the five minute interview. The next day my friends all started joking with me about it on Facebook and I am still laughing about this a few days later. They cut everything important I had to say of course, but maybe I sold a few pianos for Pierre's Fine Pianos hahaha. Only in LA.

Rob Mullins
www.planetmullins.com
Recording Artist and Jazz Piano Instructor
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is it an achievement? I dunno, but it was fun.

As folks following the Joplin thread may know, I've been out of town with limited computer access.

Where? Well, a B & B.

ZOMG.

Wow!!! That is pretty amazing... must be some crazy high class B&B! Video?

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Love reading this thread and feeling connected to all your achievements. the B&B with the Steinway is a dream I've had but you actually found it, ATallGuyNH. I chuckled when I read your "Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife" note in your sig line. Early morning is my alone time, my practice time but on weekends my husband grabs his coffee and settles down on the couch in the piano room. My playing gets tense and I feel like I have to play something he likes rather than practice little bits of whatever I'm working on. His comments don't bother me like they used to though (or I've improved some).

My achievement this week is passing my theory test (taking Music Theory I) although I made some stupid mistakes. I've started a Beethoven sonata (my teacher is having me leave out a couple of pages that are over my level) and page 1 is coming together...granted it's at less than half speed (I may never play a Beethoven at full tempo although I'm close on one of the easier pieces). Completing the Grieg recital took a lot out of me emotionally...I think I may be recovered. I seriously want to get comfortable and competent performing pieces without the "judge" voice in my head yelling so loudly. The only way I know to do that is to play more. Nothing more to PW til next year. :-)

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
their piano was a 9' well-regulated Steinway D.

ZOMG.

Wow!!! That is pretty amazing... must be some crazy high class B&B! Video?

No video, but an image... the piano looks smaller in the picture somehow:

[Linked Image]

Coincidentally, the owner had on her piano (and was working on) Grieg Lyric Pieces, but she isn't a Piano Forums reader.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
My 1st AOTW is playing for strangers in public (these poor folks didn't have a choice, mind you smile ), twice.

Boston Street Pianos started officially yesterday, but the logistics of putting out 75 pianos on one day are daunting, I'm sure, so they actually started putting them out earlier in the week. I stumbled across one and then found another as well. About all I have memorized at this point is the portion of Clair de Lune that I've mentioned many times, so that's all I've got to offer.

I played at Boston City Hall, which has one of what I believe is only two grands out of the 75 pianos. It's an enormous open plaza, so very hard for anyone to hear anyway (including even me sitting right at it, with the lid closed). I did get lost near the end and had to back up a couple bars to get myself reset, but it was OK overall.

Only a few people walked past while I was playing, but one woman did stop and offered to take my picture. It's funny, these days I guess one assumes that everyone has a smartphone camera on them? I did, but it is funny how this shift has occurred in the last 5 years or so.

The 2nd piano was a lovely little console right behind the Old North Church. It's tucked into a corner of the exterior of the building in a small courtyard, so the sound is nicely contained and it's a lovely intimate setting with a large fountain nearby. For this one, I got to measure# 15 and realized that... Ugh!, Bb6 was sticking when the pedal was down.

For those not intimately familiar with the piece, measures 15-18 completely revolve around Bb (in both left and right hand), so it's played 24 times in a row. One can't very well skip the pedal here and finesse legato, or at least I wouldn't know how to go about doing so.

That completely threw me for a loop, and also made me realize the degree to which I rely on feeling the keys before hitting them -- which one can't do so well when the key is down in the keybed.

Anyway, I recovered after four awful measures, and was quite happy with the balance of it -- didn't get lost where I did at City Hall just a few minutes earlier. By the time I was done a few people had stopped to listen, some even sitting down, and some of them clapped, which was very gratifying.

My 2nd AOTW was that I'm starting to get less nervous about this. It dawned on me that having pianos dotted all over the place with a cavalcade of strangers wandering by is a truly unique opportunity to expose oneself to public performance over and over again in a very short period of time. I mean really, aside from jotur & others with some sort of regular gig, how many opportunities do we have to perform publicly?

So, I found on the 2nd take that I was much less nervous. By the end I was not thinking about making errors at all, and was able to be completely focused on the music from an interpretation & performance standpoint. And that, felt really good.

I don't have performance anxiety ("oh no, what if I mess up?!") as much as I just get soooo much adrenaline because I'm worked up at the prospect of only having one shot to get it right. I feel that if I do this frequently enough while I have the chance, it will help me tremendously to be more relaxed.

My daughter was too shy to play in school so we visited to make her feel comfortable with performing, it worked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7maRPg_TgYc

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HalfStep
My daughter was too shy to play in school so we visited to make her feel comfortable with performing, it worked!

She did a very nice job! Where is that one? It looks and sounds really nice.

I played another one yesterday. Nobody around though except one guy on a bench 15' away who was not at all interested. I got applause once and now I'm expecting traffic to stop. :-)

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
W
W
My AOTW: I played Jingle Bells tonight for my Piano Teacher! Last year I struggled with this piece and gave up. It was probably more advanced than my experience at that time last year. But what a difference time and practice make!! That got me excited.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm getting close to playing a decent Latin version of "Chattanooga Choo Choo" ... changing the bass line in the bridge a bit while still keeping the Latin beat has been an interesting puzzle to solve.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Accomplishment of the day. first six measures of Dubussy arabesque under my fingers. Should take me about 3 years to learn it. LOL. Love the piece though.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I've been working steadily (since prior to the August recial) on my next recital piece and made a significant breakthrough just this week.

My efforts to date have been in learning the score and I'm not quite 100% there yet (slow reader,) but getting close. At any rate, I felt it was time to bring out the metronome and see how I was doing with tempo for at least some of it (the 3/4 or so I feel comfortable with so far) and seeing if I can get close to desired recital tempo.

What an eye opener. I had been having trouble getting the proper chorus sections to sing out above the harmony. But, no more. Timing was part of it and key to fixing the issue, but I am really hearing what I need to now and the melodies are beginning to rise above the chorus loud and clear. I feel a lot more confident in my preparedness for this next recital now.

Originally Posted by HalfStep

She did a very nice job! Where is that one? It looks and sounds really nice.

I played another one yesterday. Nobody around though except one guy on a bench 15' away who was not at all interested. I got applause once and now I'm expecting traffic to stop. :-)

That was on Hunington Av. Right next to the NEC, it was tucked into a bit of an alcove. My daughter thought it played nice, the other one we visited that day was at the Museum of Fine Arts, it was a grand but had a sticky C. The museum had quite a large crowd though, fun day.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
First lesson today after the long summer break. I was sure the teacher would found brand new bad habits in my playing, instead she praised me because of the new expressiveness I put into pieces.
Great AOTW being praised for something that I always considered one of my weakest points!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale
I was sure the teacher would found brand new bad habits in my playing, instead she praised me because of the new expressiveness I put into pieces.

Sweet!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener
I've been working steadily (since prior to the August recial) on my next recital piece and made a significant breakthrough just this week.

My efforts to date have been in learning the score and I'm not quite 100% there yet (slow reader,) but getting close. At any rate, I felt it was time to bring out the metronome and see how I was doing with tempo for at least some of it (the 3/4 or so I feel comfortable with so far) and seeing if I can get close to desired recital tempo.

What an eye opener. I had been having trouble getting the proper chorus sections to sing out above the harmony. But, no more. Timing was part of it and key to fixing the issue, but I am really hearing what I need to now and the melodies are beginning to rise above the chorus loud and clear. I feel a lot more confident in my preparedness for this next recital now.

That sounds delightful... looking forward to hearing it.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Page 272 of 540 1 2 270 271 272 273 274 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission