Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 46 of 235 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 234 235 >
Topic Options
#1762333 - 09/30/11 12:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Amish Buggy Boogie?????? Never heard it, but I love the title!!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1762337 - 09/30/11 01:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I'm pleased to report my teacher was VERY impressed with how relaxed I was when playing this week. This is not a baby step, this is a HUGE LEAP FORWARD for me.

Congratulations! I think I tend to be tense during lessons... I'm much more relaxed when I practice at home. smile

#1762366 - 09/30/11 01:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Lain
Originally Posted By: MaryBee
I also started working on some rhythm exercises this week. I began by tapping 2 against 3 and 3 against 4, but then I thought I'd use the keyboard to try it, so it would be more realistic. So I began playing middle C with the left hand and the G above it with the right, and from time to time would switch which hand was playing the 2 beats and which was playing the 3 beats. I guess I went on with this for a bit too long, because after a while my son came into the room and said, "Mom, what are you playing? That song is terrible!" laugh

Your son is very musical!
What makes it even funnier is that he is a drummer.

#1762448 - 09/30/11 04:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
LOL MaryBee.

When my wife says something like "oh, you are very persistent today" I know it really means "I'm going to stick an ice-pick in your ear if you play that measure one more time".

Estonia L190 #7284

#1762459 - 09/30/11 05:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: joyoussong]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: joyoussong
Amish Buggy Boogie?????? Never heard it, but I love the title!!

The actual title of the piece is Beach Buggy Boogie but I don't play it at the correct tempo (much slower), thus I call it Amish Buggy Boogie!!!

It is a Martha Mier piece.

#1762463 - 09/30/11 05:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
My family is a little less polite in these cases. They ask me: "Can you use your headphones today?"

My website

#1762539 - 09/30/11 07:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Reading these "family comments" makes me glad that I do most of my practicing on a digital piano, late at night with the volume turned down... because it takes me a *lot* of reps to get something anywhere near close.

Today I had the fun of stopping by a practice room at the university I work at, to play on a Steinway B... much fun, and a great way to recover from a 2 hour meeting. I'm trying to stop in there every week or so to get some good acoustic time in - the feel is quite different.

And on the AOTW front, I just had my lesson, and I have my sonatina almost up to speed, though with many hitches in spots where I can't yet transition well... but it's been a great week!

#1762560 - 09/30/11 08:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I had a few lessons over the summer with the head of our studio while my teacher was on vacation. He was not very happy with the speed of my progress on the Debussy Arabesque #1 and, on my last lesson's comment sheet with him he wrote "Arabesque ... hmmm ...".

This last week my regular teacher went back to that comment sheet and wrote "Ha ha ha" next to it ... guess she thinks I've shown him! (Still rough in spots but almost all memorized).

Oh, and on the family thing: My wife says today, "Why do you always need to play the same two pieces?". Well, it's not two - there are also two Czerny etudes plus sight reading pieces wink ... but yeah, she doesn't get that practice makes perfect. Well, she does, she just doesn't like it!!

Kawai K3

#1762596 - 09/30/11 09:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

MaryBee - how wonderful you did so well on your Sonata. 12 pages! ack! How many minutes? (maybe it is REALLY BIG PRINT lol...sorry, couldn't resist!)
Not 12 pages (thank goodness) -- 12 minutes. It's only 8 pages long.
That would be nice if it were really big print. I'd have a much easier time reading it. smile

This is great! Everyone is so upbeat today: making progress, feeling good about their playing, able to laugh at unhelpful comments from loving but slightly irritated family members. Way to go, fellow ABFers! thumb

#1762600 - 09/30/11 10:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
I had a few lessons over the summer with the head of our studio while my teacher was on vacation. He was not very happy with the speed of my progress on the Debussy Arabesque #1 and, on my last lesson's comment sheet with him he wrote "Arabesque ... hmmm ...".

This last week my regular teacher went back to that comment sheet and wrote "Ha ha ha" next to it ... guess she thinks I've shown him! (Still rough in spots but almost all memorized).

Oh, and on the family thing: My wife says today, "Why do you always need to play the same two pieces?". Well, it's not two - there are also two Czerny etudes plus sight reading pieces wink ... but yeah, she doesn't get that practice makes perfect. Well, she does, she just doesn't like it!!

Congratulations, Andy. I hope your wife will understand your practice routine.

#1762608 - 09/30/11 10:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

Congratulations, Andy. I hope your wife will understand your practice routine.

Ha ha ha, My husband says exactly the same thing... He thinks I am a nut cake.. well, I kind of am for different reasons. But he says that he cannot believe anyone can play the same pieces over and over again. I am actually writing this on a plane (Delta airline GoGo Inflight Internet) to go home for a day and half weekend. I am in the middle of e-mail but I could not resist:)
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1762639 - 10/01/11 12:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
What makes it even funnier is that he is a drummer.

ha Made my day! laugh

#1762777 - 10/01/11 09:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Dulcetta Offline

Loc: U.K.
Lol Marybee.

I'm sticking to scales and making some progress.
Currently I have learnt C, F, Bb, Eb and Ab major. In similar and contrary motion and thirds and sixths.

#1762838 - 10/01/11 11:58 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Jaak, sorry, I missed your post on memorizing -I think the visualization would be very helpful - worth giving it a try!

I often DO switch to D.P. silent mode when I'm playing problem parts - not during the week when others are at work, but on the weekend. Heck there are times when *I* feel irritated hearing the same thing over and over , especially when I can't "get it".

Andy -congrats on the great feedback - isn't that satisfying?

#1763370 - 10/02/11 12:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Dulcetta, Ab major also got me excited this week grin
It's a new scale for me...

I'm trying to tick off each of the major scales up to 5 sharps or flats, and then next week will focus more on some of the minor scales.

#1763772 - 10/03/11 06:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I attended H-town symphony yesterday.
Andre watts. Beethoven emperor.

Speechless.

Sure I achieved something, but right now I don't know what it is.
Mozart: Kv310
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
===============================================

#1763905 - 10/03/11 11:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I finally finished (Chopin's) Fantaisie Impromptu, after three months of working at it (and one year of piano playing). It feels awesome, and I'm super excited every time I get to play it!
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1763948 - 10/03/11 01:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ataru074]
SeanC Offline

Loc: Akron, OH
Originally Posted By: Ataru074

Speechless.

You achieved experiencing a live performance of one of the best (in my opinion) piano concertos in existence. :P

#1764030 - 10/03/11 03:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sam Rose
I finally finished (Chopin's) Fantaisie Impromptu, after three months of working at it (and one year of piano playing). It feels awesome, and I'm super excited every time I get to play it!

Congratulations! Will we get to hear you? smile

#1764038 - 10/03/11 03:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA

Hopefully Sam Rose will submit it for the next ABF quarterly recital (November 15th) smile

Kawai K3

#1764075 - 10/03/11 04:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I love this piece! It's on my dream list to learn at some point, but I'm nowhere near being able to start it yet. Maybe in a few more years... *sigh*

#1764077 - 10/03/11 04:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love this piece! It's on my dream list to learn at some point, but I'm nowhere near being able to start it yet. Maybe in a few more years... *sigh*

Make it your birthday wish! You didn't blow out the candles yet, did you?

P.S. Happy birthday!

#1764079 - 10/03/11 04:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Good eye Lain - -- I had not seen MaryBee's bd cake!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARYBEE!

I hope you are having a wonderful day, and that this year is filled with many blessings for you!

Celebrate in the style that suits you best, with those you love and are loved by!

#1764087 - 10/03/11 05:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
bessel Offline

New to the world of classical music, I just found this on youtube - it certainly sounds like an impressive piece after only a year of playing - congratulations! What are you going to tackle next?

#1764088 - 10/03/11 05:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

G

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARYBEE!

Marybee - Happy birthday from a fellow Clevelander; I hope your day was better than our weather of late. smile

#1764094 - 10/03/11 05:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SeanC]
Ataru074 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: SeanC
Originally Posted By: Ataru074

Speechless.

You achieved experiencing a live performance of one of the best (in my opinion) piano concertos in existence. :P

I'm still speechless, I prefer the 4th piano concerto, but, the 2nd movement of the 5th is where i need 2 buckets and 4 box of napkins... I flooded the damn hall frown...
Mozart: Kv310
Beethoven: Op 14 #2
===============================================

#1764097 - 10/03/11 05:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Happy birthday, Mary Bee -

Cathy

#1764118 - 10/03/11 06:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bessel

New to the world of classical music, I just found this on youtube - it certainly sounds like an impressive piece after only a year of playing - congratulations! What are you going to tackle next?

I'm not sure. First, I need to make a decent recording of it. Once that's done, I have a whole bunch of little pieces I've been dabbling in, so I'll keep that up, and I have lots of theory and technique to learn (scales, arpeggios, keys, intervals, etc). I haven't had a teacher yet, so maybe I'll get a couple lessons.
Any suggestions for pieces to work on?
♪ > $

#1764278 - 10/03/11 11:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lain, cas, bessel, and Cathy -- thanks for the birthday wishes! Even this rainy Cleveland weather couldn't get me down. I had a beautiful birthday: lunch with good friends, cake at the office, phone calls from out-of-town relatives, dinner out with my family, and finally closing out the day with some piano practice. It made turning 50 almost painless. smile And my husband gave me a wonderful gift: tickets to see The Magic Flute in Chicago in December. Can't wait!

#1764311 - 10/04/11 01:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Of course you will laugh

Sorry, I somehow missed your comment, as well as those by Andy Platt and MaryBee. I only noticed Bessel's, and answered that one. To answer all of you, I'll be attempting a recording when I go home in about a week, and if I get something decent, I'll be happy to share.
@ Andy, what's an ABF recital?
@ MaryBee, you can do it! I don't want to ruffle any feathers, so I won't tell you to try it now, but keep plugging away, and one day you'll be able to do it. I can't tell you how many hours I put in, but it's quite a lot. Practice really does make perfect! smile
♪ > $

Page 46 of 235 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 48 ... 234 235 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NAMM 2015 - Are You Booked??
by Piano World
5 minutes 58 seconds ago
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
Today at 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
Today at 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
Today at 08:24 AM
Who's Online
146 registered (ajames, alans, accordeur, ando, 43 invisible), 1658 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157920 Topics
2319252 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission