Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 48 of 238 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1765746 - 10/06/11 10:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Carlos...that story just makes me smile to think of your success. Nice!!

Ataru074...how painful. Sorry to hear that it happened that way. Hope you talk about the piano and work something out that feels right.

Mary Bee...that is a wonderful achievement to sound musical. Good for you.

Today my accomplishment is getting a good run through of a piece I'm working on for a piano get together for Monday night. Never flawless but not painful to the ears either.

Love to learn

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1765801 - 10/06/11 12:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: MaryBee
I'm starting a Bach 2-part Invention this week: #13 in A-minor.

This is my favorite of all the 2 part inventions. I think it was used in a commercial a while ago, but don't remember for what product.

#1765840 - 10/06/11 01:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
ataru74 - Arggh. Hope it all works out for you. On the bright side you could eventually wind up with a better piano and a better woman someday. Life can take some strange turns at times.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1765843 - 10/06/11 01:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Carlos - Your first paying gig! Congrats.

MaryBee - You must be excited to have the invention on tap. I've been waiting (and hoping) for my teacher to assign one for a while. Gotta love that positive feedback - sometimes its the only tangible way to reassure ourselves that progress is happening all the time.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1766070 - 10/06/11 07:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
My wife and I decided to take a few days off and went to a hotel in southern Portugal. To my bad luck (or not smile ) I got a slight fever during the first day and could not enjoy the pool and beaches. The wonderful of this story is that the hotel had a piano in the lobby (yamaha) and while my wife was in the pool I was playing the piano during the afternoon (Yeahhh).
The funny thing is that I received the first applause of my life because the guests were staying in the hotel lobby to hear the pieces to the end.
On the day I went away, and when I was checking out the hotel, the receptionist asked me to play again (!) and as I told him that "Yes, of course," he offered me 10% off rate and did not charge me the car park and the extras.
So this is my AOTW I wanted to share with you.

That's a great story! And since the receptionist asked you to play in public, doesn't that mean you get one of those little grand piano thingys (in your signature) casinitaly mentioned? smile

Seriously - good for you, for having the confidence to play in that environment, and better yet for sharing it with the other guests... kudos!

Edited by bessel (10/06/11 07:30 PM)

#1766088 - 10/06/11 08:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yippee - finally played through the Debussy Arabesque without needing the music. I won't call it 100% memorized because some parts aren't "fixed" yet. But it's one week ahead of schedule.

Now, to get it to sound more like Debussy and less like De-Andy ... wink

Kawai K3

#1766153 - 10/06/11 10:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Now, to get it to sound more like Debussy and less like De-Andy ... wink

ha

#1766257 - 10/07/11 03:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jaak Offline

Loc: Tallinn, Estonia
Hi,

Memorized and learned Bach Pr and F B-Major from WTC I. Learning process was much quicker than usually with Bach.
It was a real pleasure to learn Bach. The memorizing process has become much more efficient since I use learning from note sheet without a piano.

You can like basically close your eyes and play on the imaginary piano.
See the notes on the keyboard after watching them in the note sheet.
The motions can be felt and sound listened to as well.
This makes also the concentration level and quality better by my experience.

GL
Jaak

#1766297 - 10/07/11 07:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: bessel
That's a great story! And since the receptionist asked you to play in public, doesn't that mean you get one of those little grand piano thingys (in your signature) casinitaly mentioned? smile

Seriously - good for you, for having the confidence to play in that environment, and better yet for sharing it with the other guests... kudos!

I don't know the "rules" regarding with that little piano... Casinitaly, can you explain me? Thanks.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1766424 - 10/07/11 12:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
Originally Posted By: bessel

I don't know the "rules" regarding with that little piano... Casinitaly, can you explain me? Thanks.

Hi Carlos,

well, now that you ask specifically.... I'm not sure what the rules are or where they can be found (I've been looking for 20 minutes!)

I know you can put one if you you have played at a recital, but I seem to recall that when I asked about it (and I can't find the thread!).... I was told "when you play in public".....

Maybe we should make a new thread and ask who knows about the rules?

#1766471 - 10/07/11 01:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rules, Schmules. I think the AOTW thread ought to vote Carlos a little piano thingy regardless of any "rule" (which I doubt exists anyway).

I vote thumb

Estonia L190 #7284

#1766476 - 10/07/11 02:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Rules, Schmules. I think the AOTW thread ought to vote Carlos a little piano thingy regardless of any "rule" (which I doubt exists anyway).

I vote thumb

I second the motion!!!

All in favour say "AYE" !!

#1766490 - 10/07/11 02:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I vote thumb

I second the motion!!!

Aye aye!

#1766516 - 10/07/11 03:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

I vote thumb

I second the motion!!!

Aye

#1766520 - 10/07/11 03:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Aye.

Cathy

#1766551 - 10/07/11 05:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Double Aye!

#1766563 - 10/07/11 05:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Aye!

Carlos, your story is amazing. It seems like a dream. Congrats.

#1766571 - 10/07/11 06:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Aye!

#1766651 - 10/07/11 09:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
cas - very nice that you're making progress with the pedaling after struggling with it a bit. I'm sorry we won't be hearing your Beethoven in November, but the jazz piece should be interesting!

JimF - how about Beethoven's Sonatina No. 2 in F major? It has two movements, the 2nd being a Rondo.

JimF and FarmGirl, thanks for the birthday wishes. smile

bessel - as far as recording for the online recitals, there's a whole range of options that people have used. Some go all out and with setting up a home recording studio with audio and video, while others might record just using something like an iPhone. You just need some way to get it into mp3 format.

Oh, Ataru, you must feel rotten. Hope your piano playing can bring you some comfort and help you forget for a while.

Hey Carlos, I work with computers, too. Sometimes it's hard to make the switch from all that procedural, logical thinking to the "artistic", music-making part of my life.

WiseBuff - a piano get-together sounds lovely! That's wonderful that you have friends who share your interest in piano.

Andy - which Arabesque is it? I've listened to two, and they both sound tough! But then, what Debussy piece isn't? smile

Jaak - that's an interesting way to try to memorize (away from the piano). I've never tried it that way.

Some of you may remember that I had learned Clair de Lune for the last ABF recital, and had decided to play it for my sister-in-law for her birthday. I had planned on having her over to my house, and playing it on my piano. But I ended up at her house tonight, and she asked me to play it for her there. Two problems -- I wasn't used to the piano (a somewhat out-of-tune, clangy-sounding spinet), and I had just finished two glasses of champagne (celebrating our birthdays). So it didn't turn out quite as beautiful as I would have liked. But the positives were that I didn't feel nervous at all, and, since she had also had two glasses of champagne, she thought it sounded great! laugh

#1766664 - 10/07/11 10:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: MaryBee
Andy - which Arabesque is it? I've listened to two, and they both sound tough! But then, what Debussy piece isn't? smile

It's #1. All the You Tube recordings are super fast but I have one I bought by Noriko Ogawa that, although faster than I can take it, is a little more "realistic". Debussy's marking is actually "Andantino con moto" - most recordings seem to be con moto, but not particularly andantino!

It's definitely harder than the Chopin Waltz in B minor that was my previous "biggest" piece even though it is "ranked" about the same.

Kawai K3

#1766792 - 10/08/11 07:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Yuki_Kiki Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
Jim F- Lisiting out below Sonatina pieces for your ref

Kuhlau Op20(No1-C Major; No2-G Major;No3-F Major)
Kuhlau Op55(No1-C Major; No2-G Major;No3-C Major)
Dussek Op20 No1-G major

#1766862 - 10/08/11 12:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Ahahahaha, you make me laugh!
Ok, Ok casinitaly, jimF, bessel, Lain, jotur, ZoeCalgary, Recaredo and Paperclip. Considering your kind votes and considering the fact that I have played the piano in public, I'll change my signature.
You're awesome!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1766887 - 10/08/11 01:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Three cheers for Carlos! smile

#1766998 - 10/08/11 07:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jaak]
qualia Offline

Originally Posted By: Jaak
Hi,

Memorized and learned Bach Pr and F B-Major from WTC I. Learning process was much quicker than usually with Bach.
It was a real pleasure to learn Bach. The memorizing process has become much more efficient since I use learning from note sheet without a piano.

You can like basically close your eyes and play on the imaginary piano.
See the notes on the keyboard after watching them in the note sheet.
The motions can be felt and sound listened to as well.
This makes also the concentration level and quality better by my experience.

GL
Jaak

Congratulations. Very impressive!

Working on: Bach

#1767201 - 10/09/11 07:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
MaryBee, congrats for your improvised recital! I like reading these successes, as they are very inspirational.

This week I’ve decided to take the piano more seriously. So I’ve started to play the famous Hanon exercises. Until now, I’ve only tried the No 1 in C major and in D major, but I’ve realized these exercises are going to be really helpful for me.

And I like how they sound! Yes, I’m a bit odd grin

My website

#1768090 - 10/10/11 03:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Recaredo]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yuki Kiki and MaryBee - Thanks for the Sonatina suggestions. Lesson day is tomorrow, so I will see what she suggests and report back.

MaryBee - Nice work on the Debussy. You are becoming a pro!
On my recent cruise one of the cocktail lounge pianists would field requests. He always had a drink in his hand and when someone called out "can you play such-and-such song," he would say "no" - then take a long swig on his drink and say, "but I'll give it a try anyway". And off he would go.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1768157 - 10/10/11 05:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Bach Invention No. 1 fingering nailed as of 9.30 this evening, and HS practice going well. Just need to speed up in readiness for HT now.

#1768171 - 10/10/11 05:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Eglantine]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Eglantine
Bach Invention No. 1 fingering nailed as of 9.30 this evening, and HS practice going well. Just need to speed up in readiness for HT now.

Congratulations!

#1768193 - 10/10/11 05:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Lain, I cheated: I cobbled together some fingering for earlier measures from here on PW, added a few bits and bobs from the ABRSM edition, tested all these out thoroughly and made adjustments, and then added the remainder myself. It certainly saved some time to have a starting point. I've found it helps me enormously with these pieces to have watertight fingering.

#1768276 - 10/10/11 09:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Eglantine]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Eglantine
Lain, I cheated: I cobbled together some fingering for earlier measures from here on PW, added a few bits and bobs from the ABRSM edition, tested all these out thoroughly and made adjustments, and then added the remainder myself. It certainly saved some time to have a starting point. I've found it helps me enormously with these pieces to have watertight fingering.

That's not cheating at all! Fingering is highly subjective anyway, and I think that the process in figuring it out helps you to understand the conditions under which your hands can move most easily without introducing stress or superfluous movements. Just don't feel like what certain editions/people suggest are the last word. Sometimes, a fingering is made for people with larger hands, and I'll have to change it to fit my octave-sized hands. blush

Page 48 of 238 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
28 minutes 30 seconds ago
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
48 minutes 44 seconds ago
Original method for harmonic hearing development
by Nahum
Today at 03:19 AM
First Digital Piano - Advice needed
by chicobalay
Today at 02:37 AM
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
Who's Online
139 registered (ajames, ando, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1521 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158397 Topics
2326017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission