Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 52 of 231 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 230 231 >
Topic Options
#1776940 - 10/25/11 01:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Achievement of the evening so far has been filing all my loose sheet music in plastic wallets in a ring binder. Still wondering about the 'right' order for them though.

Achievement of the afternoon was feeling I'm at last getting a good handle on most of the minor scales.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1777048 - 10/25/11 05:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
My husband's research assistant recently shared with me that she plays the cello. We have decided to try a few Hadjidakis' pieces together. Fortunately, she agreed to learn the pieces I already play. I am so excited to play with someone else too!!

#1777106 - 10/25/11 06:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: GlassLove]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Originally Posted By: GlassLove
My husband's research assistant recently shared with me that she plays the cello. We have decided to try a few Hadjidakis' pieces together. Fortunately, she agreed to learn the pieces I already play. I am so excited to play with someone else too!!

Hey Christine that sounds exciting. What a whole new experience that is going to be! Keep us posted as to how this goes!

#1777299 - 10/26/11 02:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Isn't it interesting how we seem to go on themes - I think it is really exciting to see how many people are playing or hoping to play with other musicians. I've only really played with other pianists (apart from band time in highschool, which isn't at all the same thing). I'd love to play a duet with a musician on another instrument. I look forward to hearing about the developments on this front with the rest of you for now!

Carlos, I hope you get your new recording done, painlessly!
Eglantine, I hope your healing process is quick. My sister broke some ribs a couple of years ago and I remember how painful that was for her.
- congratualations on the progress with your Invention!
Recaredo, your Hannon exercises seem to really be paying off - good for you!

Scales scales scales... my teacher is "bringing me back" to scales too - seems perhaps we're all too keen to get to the music rather than wanting to spend time on scales. However, I do have to say that it is making a lot of difference with the relaxation in my hands, arms and shoulders, which I did NOT expect! So, I'm encouraged to keep at them for multiple reasons.

No significant AOTW on my side,but I am feeling that I'm going in the right direction, so that's ok.

SwissMs - My lessons are in Italian (mostly, because my teacher is learning English so we mix things up sometimes). It can be very funny.
One day she was trying to prompt me for a note I was stuck on and she said "r". "r". I looked at her and said "r?"..... She was thinking of "re", and instead of saying "d", said "r". We laughed and laughed over that one. The craziest confusion arises when one of us says "Si" because we don't always know if the other person is saying yes, (Si!) or the note "C", or if it is Italian and saying "b", which is "Si" (not Ti) ! Mamma mia! It keeps both of us on our toes!

#1777351 - 10/26/11 07:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Cheryl, your feeling is probably the biggest AOTW that one can read over here. Very good!

BTW, I love the confusions among languages. They are so funny!

My website

#1777452 - 10/26/11 11:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl, i can relate to your experience.

In Japan, they use two different systems for reading notes and naming scales. For reading notes, I grew up with the Japanese version of the fixed do system. For naming major/minor, they use the first line of Iroha, an ancient poem used as an "ABC" of traditional kana. In Iroha system, the syllables representing the notes A, B, C, D, E, F, G are i, ro, ha, ni, ho, he, to respectively. So the note C is called as "do" while C major / c miner is called as "ha-chocho / ha-tancho" respectively. So you can imagine the confustion that I and my first American piano teacher encountered. She asked me "what is this note?" pointing at a score. My response.. "Ahhhh...Mmmmmmm.....". Noticing the surprised look in her face as though saying "she can't even read notes after 7 or 8 years lessons?", I immediately put my finger on the correct note on the piano in front of me. So she understands I can at least read the music. She asks "What is the key signature of this piece?" I again go "Ahhh...." then press the key of D saying "this one in major". Basically I looked like a six year old. But in my brain, I was busily translating. Example - "Ok, it's 'ra' in Doremi, do re mi fa so ra si... so the sixth from C - c d e f g a, aha it's gotta be 'a'". Likewise "if it's i-tancho, it's a minor scale with the note "ra" on its root. I notice the note 'so' is raised to confirm it. so it's gotta be "a minor" .... etc. You see how compelx it is.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1777485 - 10/26/11 12:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

FarmGirl, that is so funny. I can relate to that experience - working in 2 languages, knowing what you need to say to respond but not quite being able to get the words out quickly enough ..... but I have to say your experience with the confusion of notes has mine beat by a long shot!

So often a language issue can leave us feeling like babies,....hmmmm that's also my experience with starting on the piano... I must be in my second childhood! lol.

#1777583 - 10/26/11 03:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Playing with others sure does sound like fun. In fact, its one of the reasons I took up piano.

You see, for twenty years I've been part of a group of couples that gets together once a year at Christmas for dinner. Theres about 8 couples and we always have a very lively time. Just about everyone there, except me and mrsF, plays an instrument. Usually we will see two or three guitars, a banjo, a mandolin, maybe steel drums, harmonica. We're all around the same ages and none of us has kids, so this isn't a traditional christmas carol group.
The usual fare is 60's and 70's rock/pop, with a lot of Jimmy Buffet thrown in for local flavor.

This year I was going to prep with some appropriate rock/pop sheets i've acquired. I planned to drag out an old 61 key unweighted piece of junk I started out on and take it to the dinner with us. So this year would be my debut! Even better, after reading this thread and thinking about it, I'm going to see if one of my buddies who attends and plays guitar wants to come over once a week or so to practice up a few tunes. Oh I really like this plan! So that is my AOTW.

Lesson was a bit of a disaster. Had the flu almost all week, which cut practice to a minimum. Managed to play Dolls Complaint by Frank well enough to get the heave-ho into the done pile, but there was plenty left to work on. Some progress on Sarabande, but now realize the second variation is going to be a LOT harder than the first exposition. New assignment is a one pager from Scarlatti, my first experience with him. Stay tuned on that one. Flu is now gone but I coughed my back out - arrrrrh.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1777849 - 10/26/11 10:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Since we're on the playing with others kick ... here's what happened at my lesson today. It will certainly do for my AotW, even if a minor one!

As I was waiting for my lesson to begin, the head of the studio said I was going to do a guest turn in his (group) lesson today. He said, with a half smile, "You're a good sight reader, right?". Utto ...

... anyway, it was all good fun. The kids had been learning a couple of "Halloween" songs and he brought me in to play one one song a bass part and on the other a harpsichord part (both on the digital piano). Pretty easy sight reading luckily because almost all was just in one hand or the other.

But my achievement was that I had spotted the only hard measure, got it sorted out in my head and played it very well. At least I played as well as the kids! wink

Kawai K3

#1777917 - 10/27/11 12:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Andy, that sounds great. It's not easy to do anything like that on the spot especially with kids.

GlassLove, nice. It's my dream... someday me too.

JimF, I am so envius of you having so many good musical friends. I have none around here. I used to have one but she moved away. I hope you can get your guitar friend to play with you. It will be sooo cool. You gotta record it.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1778006 - 10/27/11 06:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hi all,

Eglantine: Nice to know that you're getting hand independence with your piece. About archiving sheet music: I also use plastic wallets to store it. It works for me.

SwissMS: wow, learning piano and German? That must be chalenging.

Lain: I'd love to play with another instrument. And I love violin. Great.

Andy Platt: i'm sure that with some work you and your daughter will make a huge success playing a duet. Playing with kids? Oh, that's for sure a AOTW!!!

GlassLove. I see people here are starting to play in duets. Nice idea, piano and cello is a good combination.

FarmGirl: In Portugal we use Dó, Ré, Mi, Fá, Sol, Lá, Si, instead of CDEFGAB (C is our first note). And that's the system we learned in school.

JimF: Nice to read that you have a real plan to play with other musicians. Great!

Finally, no AOTW for me... just wondering how I will make a record for the recital because I'm far from home and without a piano near me... frown

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1778762 - 10/28/11 12:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
KKL83 Offline

Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading about your accomplishments and thought I'd jump in. I started piano about a month ago and have no prior experience, so my accomplishment isn't too exciting, but I'm happy with it smile My accomplishment this week was to learn to play the C and G major scales hands together. Within the next two weeks I want to learn eighth notes and then start working on my first "easy" classical piece.

#1778764 - 10/28/11 12:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: KKL83]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KKL83
Hi all,

I've enjoyed reading about your accomplishments and thought I'd jump in. I started piano about a month ago and have no prior experience, so my accomplishment isn't too exciting, but I'm happy with it smile My accomplishment this week was to learn to play the C and G major scales hands together. Within the next two weeks I want to learn eighth notes and then start working on my first "easy" classical piece.

No achievement is too small for sharing here. Congratulations on your success! After eighth notes, sixteenth notes? laugh

#1778766 - 10/28/11 12:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

ATOW - rather gingerly, i am noticing that I have to put more effort in trying to achieve excellence to the best of my ability. I went to my lesson and played the 2nd movement of Beethoven which my teacher has let me work on my own. It's beautiful but I was feeling like, gee, even I got almost had it memorized. In fact, it was getting rather boring. I was thinking that I prefer Rachmaninoff better since there are so many opportunities for discoveries, melody line buried and weaving out both fingers like a gem!

Well, after she heard me once, she told me to play only the melody lines at a certain spot. I said, sure, but you know what it was fuzzy.. I got kind of the melody lines but not all. My teacher started laughing and said, "Isn't it funny? Whenever I ask this, 8 out of 10 times my advanced students (she somehow puts me into this category along with her very capable college students but the only advanced part about me is my age) cannot recall the melody lines". I know why. Because I get into this robot like play mode. I can read the notes, which is not an outstanding accomplishment. If you play the piano for more than 10 years, note reading becomes fairly easy mandane task. Especially, the classical period music. Those composers use lot's of similar patterns that make it easier to read. So what happens is that most of us (me anyway) start sightreading a piece automatically with both hands, leaning on to the top notes, peeking at the music at each cadance preparing for the next sections and just continue to play without thinking. The resulting product is of course not so interesting, sleepy kind of background music. No wonder I could not recall the melody lines! No wonder it sucked (sorry). No wonder I did not find gem in the piece when I played it - because I was like a robot actually worse than a robot (I dont' have their precision).

My teacher played the piece emphasizing the melody.. It was night and day. I did a bit of HS for the first time since I started playing the piece at home. Remarkable difference. I thought why didn't she tell me before I waste all this time. Then I thoguht, perhaps, she might have wanted me to discover this like a bitter pill. Yikes.

#1778778 - 10/28/11 12:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I know why. Because I get into this robot like play mode.

Thanks for the anecdote. You remind me of Kenzaburo Oe's usage of the term "robotizing" from his novel A Quiet Life:

Quote:
"Before long, quite the opposite of robotizing, I found myself unable to refrain from uttering a chain of emotional words" (p. 208).

To paraphrase, robotizing prevents us from uttering a chain of emotional words in music.

#1778785 - 10/28/11 01:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Lain,
I think the book quote summarizes my experience. I have to read the book. Hope I can understand it. Thank you for your insight.

#1778796 - 10/28/11 01:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Lain,
I think the book quote summarizes my experience. I have to read the book. Hope I can understand it. Thank you for your insight.

You will enjoy it and probably more so than me since you could read it in the original language. Also of interest is that one of the main characters plays the piano. The piano lessons are described beautifully, as expected of a Nobel laureate.

#1778806 - 10/28/11 01:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: KKL83]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi all,

Welcome to this forum and congrats on that achievement!

My AOTW was that my teacher didn't had any corrections on my play of Granados. Yay!

Now I only have to study the mid section to finish it. It has some repetition in it and it is played slower than the rest of the piece. My teacher already explained how to do it. So I'm quite happy. smile

Playing since May 02 2009

#1778807 - 10/28/11 01:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Paperclip
Hi all,

Welcome to this forum and congrats on that achievement!

My AOTW was that my teacher didn't had any corrections on my play of Granados. Yay!

Now I only have to study the mid section to finish it. It has some repetition in it and it is played slower than the rest of the piece. My teacher already explained how to do it. So I'm quite happy. smile

Great job, Paperclip!

#1778808 - 10/28/11 01:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Jim - I could only find one version of Scarlatti Arioso on line and the fellow playing was wickedly fast...... I've played one Scarlatti but it was quite slow and gentle (also a 1 pager) - let us know how you do with this one.

Andy - great "reading ahead" - I'd say your accomplishment is one to be proud of. I know I'm not ready to jump in to a situation like that - maybe someday!! smile

Carlos - I wonder if a music shop might be able to help you out?
Piano shop near where you are?
I hope you can find a way to record.

KKL83 - welcome! Scales, scales, we have a wave of scales activity lately. I'm still fighting with Bflat, but I'm also moving on and doing A, which is easy-peasy compared to Bflat.
I'm really loving the fact that the scales help me keep my arms loose and relaxed.

Farm Girl - I doubt your teacher wanted you to swallow a bitter pill. Perhaps she was just hoping you would make the discovery on your own, and was trying to give you time to get the idea.

PaperClip - great news! I hope we get to hear it when you are ready!

I'm working on my little Margaret Miers Ragtime piece (I said Jazz before, but it is an easy rag), a Spanish sounding piece from Dennis Alexander (La Serenata) and now a Waltz by Kabalevsky. Very cool.

This week my teacher and I did a lot of sight reading together - she played the bass I played the treble. the purpose of this was to help me with getting used to playing along side someone else so that when friends are over I feel more up to speed joining in.
I've also started working on my Christmas music. It is nice to see that last year's book is a bit easier now!

edited to add: I'm also doing A LOT better with the pedal - my husband keeps saying..."That sounds different, fuller, richer" - he's very entertained. (so am I!)

Edited by casinitaly (10/28/11 01:45 PM)
Edit Reason: more info

#1778906 - 10/28/11 03:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
FarmGirl Offline

So he is a Japanses and Novel laureate, wow. I will order it through Amazon Japan and read it in my folks house during my vacation. I will go out there on Dec 17.

Sometimes I don't know what world I've been in:) The forum is very educational. Thank you Lain.

Originally Posted By: Lain
Lain,

You will enjoy it and probably more so than me since you could read it in the original language. Also of interest is that one of the main characters plays the piano. The piano lessons are described beautifully, as expected of a Nobel laureate.

#1778909 - 10/28/11 03:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

CAS - you are right. My teacher is a sweet old lady. This year, she has not asked me to do any Christmas music yet. I am crossing my fingers. May she forget about Christmas music this year.

KKL - welcome to the forum.

Paperclip - good job.

I now have to go back to work.

#1778910 - 10/28/11 03:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
KKL83 Offline

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to learning. This forum has been a great source of motivation and information for me.

#1778935 - 10/28/11 04:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Farmgirl,

Your post reminded me of a discussion here on PW a while back about really listening to what we play. Someone wrote that what we "hear" is some mixture of what we think the piece sounds like, what we've heard in the recent past, and lastly the actual sounds we are producing. The point was that it takes a lot of effort to really listen to just the sounds we are actually making (or not making). We can go on for quite a while thinking we sound different than we actually do.

Maybe that was happening with you. Those melody lines were there in your head but you weren't really bringing them out in the playing because you were not really "hearing" that they were missing.

I know this happens to me. Sometimes when I record something I've worked on for many many repetitions I am amazed at what I hear, or don't hear, on the recording. I often think I should record more often just for this reason alone.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1778957 - 10/28/11 04:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Andy - What a ham, showing off in front of the kids again. (just kidding, I'd probably freeze up)

Carlos - If you miss the recital submission, you can always record something for the Piano Bar

Paperclip - Good job on Granados - I'm so impressed you can play that. I was hoping to ask my teacher if I could consider one of his easier pieces - maybe "Dedicatoria".

KKL - No need to be shy about your accomplishments. Beginners actually have more to celebrate than folks with a year or two under their belts - they face new challenges almost daily in their practice. Very exciting stuff, so don't forget to fill us in.

Cheryl - Ha! I saw the same guy's Scarlatti. Don't think I'll be shooting for that tempo, but its the right piece. With all the scales, three pieces, plus Christmas music it sounds like you are back in full swing after the summer lull.

I sight read a pop piece last night - Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at Forty" - one of the songs I know my Christmas group likes to play. It went ok, although I wouldn't really call it sight reading. More like just slow reading with occasional on-tempo burts. Oh well, it was fun anyway. ~~ Mother, mother, ocean... I have heard you call...~~ Did I mention this was also a sailing crowd? Yep, in fact that's one of the things that brought a bunch of us together.

Edited by JimF (10/28/11 04:54 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1779009 - 10/28/11 06:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Lain, Casinitaly, JimF and Farmgirl.

Yea you are right, Cas. I should do the online recitals. Until now I never have played for anybody, which is actually a shame.

JimF, Albéniz op 168 no 1 is a beautiful prelude and not so difficult. It isn't in the Imslp database. But if you like it, I will try to upload it.

#1779181 - 10/29/11 12:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: BenPiano]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: BenPiano
Fortunately the week is young, as I have achieved nothing yet this week of significance. help
I realize this quote is from the first page of the thread but it sort of sums things up for me right now - except that the week is most definitely not young. Its late Friday night. I'm about this far away (imagine my fingers almost touching) from starting a "Lack of achievement, what got you bummed" thread. We're supposed to put things in perspective by focusing on what we have accomplished in this thread but since I haven't gotten anywhere lately I'm going to try to achieve the reality check by looking at why I haven't made progress in quite some time and why I shouldn't be so hard on myself for it. I haven't managed to learn/memorize anything new since March. Today I was trying to play something I learned quite some time ago and I keep getting stuck. My concentration has been very poor and I've been avoiding sheet music because its been hard to look at (migraine auras have been messing with my vision a lot lately). I think most of my trouble has all come down to stress and I've decided I'm not going to let frustration over what I haven't accomplished this last few months add to it. That would just give me more migraines anyway. March was when the snowball of stressful events started so it only makes sense that it was where I "left off" on my progress and since everything seems to have quieted down I'm going to try to just take a deep breath, be excited that I have at least stayed on the MOYD list and trust that I'll actually have something to report here soon.

#1779206 - 10/29/11 02:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Little_Blue_Engine]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Little_Blue_Engine
I'm going to try to just take a deep breath, be excited that I have at least stayed on the MOYD list

Well, that's an achievement! Congrats!

I hope you get better soon. Just don't give up the piano. Better times will come.

#1779454 - 10/29/11 04:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Little Blue Engine - it's commendable that you've stayed on the MOYD track despite your challenges. I hope you can find a way to let piano relieve your stress... certainly not add to it!

To all who are playing duets, etc... that sounds sooooo fun. My wife plays piano (better than I)... I'd like to find some fun pieces for four hands for us. Other than cello, what instruments do you think go well with piano for duets? (I happen to love the sounds of cello, and no-so-love the sound of violin...)

My AOTW is getting my sonatina up to speed and occasionally "major defect free". I'm also finally playing - albeit rockily in the second half - through Bach's minuet in G, hooray! I've loved that piece ever since I first heard a recording of Segovia playing it on guitar.

At today's lesson I started on another sonatina by Clementi. I *think* that I'm getting faster at reading/learning since it seemed like I was picking it up much faster this time. It'll be interesting to see how the next few weeks go... whether learning the whole piece (actually just one of the movements) continues to go faster than last time, or whether today was an illusion. smile

Note added: guess what else I was assigned today? Yep, you guessed it - more scales. B and F#. And please work harder on the ones I already know.

Edited by bessel (10/29/11 04:36 PM)

#1779462 - 10/29/11 04:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bessel
Little Blue Engine - it's commendable that you've stayed on the MOYD track despite your challenges. I hope you can find a way to let piano relieve your stress... certainly not add to it!

To all who are playing duets, etc... that sounds sooooo fun. My wife plays piano (better than I)... I'd like to find some fun pieces for four hands for us. Other than cello, what instruments do you think go well with piano for duets? (I happen to love the sounds of cello, and no-so-love the sound of violin...)

My AOTW is getting my sonatina up to speed and occasionally "major defect free". I'm also finally playing - albeit rockily in the second half - through Bach's minuet in G, hooray! I've loved that piece ever since I first heard a recording of Segovia playing it on guitar.

At today's lesson I started on another sonatina by Clementi. I *think* that I'm getting faster at reading/learning since it seemed like I was picking it up much faster this time. It'll be interesting to see how the next few weeks go... whether learning the whole piece (actually just one of the movements) continues to go faster than last time, or whether today was an illusion. smile

Note added: guess what else I was assigned today? Yep, you guessed it - more scales. B and F#. And please work harder on the ones I already know.

Great job, bessel!

Page 52 of 231 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 230 231 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
140 registered (A Guy, accordeur, ando, Abby Pianoman, 36251, albumblatter, 49 invisible), 1336 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75979 Members
42 Forums
157132 Topics
2307628 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
a video of Alexander Siloti's daughter playing the piano
by Michael Sayers
08/28/14 08:26 PM
Kimball spinet neoprene lifter nuts
by dschwoyer
08/28/14 08:22 PM
Looking for a re-built Steinway or Steinwas
by ColinD
08/28/14 07:29 PM
First time purchasing an acoustic piano, need some help.
by Lockon52
08/28/14 07:14 PM
Yamaha Clavinova CVP-83s Parts needed
by Jason Solis
08/28/14 06:57 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission