Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 54 of 231 < 1 2 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 230 231 >
Topic Options
#1782859 - 11/04/11 03:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Sam - my teacher is a very nice sixty years old lady. She loves christmas so much that I don't have heart to tell her that I hate to learn hard songs... after all, it's christmas! This is the only short coming she has as a teacher.

Marybee / Jim F - I like your idea to postpone the completion of the song till 2012 Christmas.

Michael - I enjoyed the noel and had to run to safeway to purchase eggnoc after I heard that.

During the christmas, I don't know anything better than eating cakes, enjoy playing and singing along some "easy" christmas songs - I already have 3 books:)
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1783112 - 11/04/11 01:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: JimF

Cheryl - Sounds like things are really coming together. I often feel like our teachers have so much they could tell us but they hold back waiting for the right moment when we are truly ready to hear something. You must encounter this in your teaching, where you have to focus on a sequence of tasks/skills, and jumping ahead would just confuse or demoralize the student. It must be difficult to sort out when someone is ready for a "next revelation."

Bessel - Just this week I had a discussion with my teacher about "finishing" pieces, something that I don't think I do very often. She said, referring to the first exposition of the Sarabande I was working on, "you could work another two or three weeks and bring it to a higher level, but it is 90% of the way there now. At this level those three weeks are better used working on something new. A year from now your technique will have improved to the point where if you picked this piece up again it would probably be trivial to bring it to performance level, so why waste the time now?" I know teachers will differ on this point, but I certainly see where she is coming from.

No real AOTW. We put the first iteration of Sarabande on the done pile. Working on HT for the second variation as well as the Scarlatti. SOW is Ab major. I am having inklings of the kind of hand independence I've dreamed of. Not there yet, but I'm beginning to think all this Baroque literature is having the desired effect. I can hear and feel both melodies as I am playing now, and playing a detached left hand counterpoint against a legato right hand seems quite natural. As Cheryl says, baby steps. grin

Hi Jim - you raise some wonderful points here. In fact my teacher often prefaces feedback with ok...I think you're ready to ...... so that I know whatever she is about to tell me has been on her mind for a while, but I wasn't ready for it until that moment!
And you are right - it doesn't matter what you are teaching - you can't correct everything at once - you have to correct a bit at a time, and especially with beginners, you have to do a bit of spoon feeding.

My teacher hasn't explicitly said what yours has about perfecting pieces, but that philosophy is there. I really liked seeing it expressed so clearly.

As for having the hand independence that you've been dreaming of... even if it is just the first inklings - that is a really exciting baby step. You're going to be running soon Jim!!!

Michael - loved your First Noel
Bessel - congrats on your recording for the recital
FarmGirl - enjoy that eggnog smile and good luck "managing" your teacher and your Christmas piece.

#1783670 - 11/05/11 12:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
Farmgirl, my teacher pulled out a bunch of easy Christmas songs and I just didn't like the simple sound of them. I'm working on a difficult Christmas piece without her knowing. Next year I intend to pull it out and play it for the recital. smile She didn't want me to spend a lot of time on a difficult seasonal piece even though it's what I wanted. I've decided I'm not doing any other Christmas music next year. (We started Christmas song in JULY!) I'm starting to get pretty temperamental on the pieces I play.

Michael Taylor, Good job on First Noel. Very clean sounding and nice even tempo.

JimF, I call myself the "First Page Wonder". I can play the first page of a lot of songs. LOL I get so bored "finishing" a piece, and frankly I'm ready to dump some of the one's I've been working on. I've fallen out of love with them. There are many that I've finished and play all the time, but that's because I really like them. Sometimes I just find that I don't like something after I've spent time learning it. My teacher likes for me to finish every piece. Sometimes I buck the system and just tell her I'm finished with it.

My time is limited and I don't want to waste it on a piece I don't care much for. I have one composer that I love and have finished 4 of his pieces. I work like a dog on them to the point where I nearly neglect the work my teacher give me. smile

ANYWAY, I'm excited about getting a new piece from my teacher this week. I'm also very excited as I picked another new piece by David Nevue. I'm also ready to tell my teacher I'm finished with Fur Elise. I can play the entire piece, but I can't get the fast section up to speed. I'm sick of it and don't feel like working on it anymore.
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1783729 - 11/05/11 03:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
My teacher asked me if I wanted to do Christmas songs and I emphatically said No.

I can learn Christmas and Advent hymns on my own if I want to, but I don't need the takeover of everything Christmas starting Nov. 1 to invade my piano lessons too.

As far as achievement of the week: getting more comfortable with chord inversions in most minor keys. I'm practicing all keys, but I'm more comfortable with some than with others.

#1784430 - 11/06/11 09:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
On the music, but not piano, related front: I just sung the Duruflé Requiem with our church choir and imported string & organ ensemble today. It's such a beautiful piece that I've grown to really love over the last couple of month's rehearsals. We'll do it again next year which will be good.

If you want to listen to a couple of movements (this isn't our choir!!): Introit and Kyrie

Piano-wise, my teacher just added movements 2 & 3 of Clementi Sonatina #4 to our adult recital in a couple of weeks time (I was already preparing Debussy's Arabesque #1). Another of her students (who's not actually an adult but is a high school senior) is learning the same Clementi Sonatina. She's going to play movement #1, we'll both play the second movement (and we'll all discuss our different interpretations - joy) and I'll play the third. Should be fun.

And no Christmas music for me. Our studio encourages it for the kids but I think my teacher would be shocked if I wanted to play any and would say she couldn't really help me. But I have dug out my own book and played through a couple of pieces very slowly. In previous years I have just taken melody and guitar chords and gone from there. Now I'm trying to play it from the piano score. It goes much slower but it often sounds better.

Kawai K3

#1784431 - 11/06/11 09:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I have the tempo nailed for Hark The Herald Angels Sing. 3 more Christmas songs to go!
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1784512 - 11/07/11 02:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Gracie cat, that's interesting. We should swich our Christmas pieces (LOL).

For everyone who advised me - I finally wised up and made up my mind to tell my teacher "no mas!", no Christmas music for me this year. I have tons of christmas music from very easy to sort of difficult. I hate to disappoint her but I have too many music working on right now. Beethoven's Pathetique 2nd movement (soon to be done :), Rach Op 23 #5 and Mozart D major sonata for 4 hands. I'm also doing duet of the Cats from the musical - this one is easy.

My AoTW is that my teacher told me that I should be able to finish the Beethoven piece next week. Yay! I was going to finish the 3rd movement since I studied 1st and 2nd but I am feeling differently now. I know someone from the PC will kick my butt if I say this but I feel like I got so much Beethoven this year. I will pick it up later. I just like to do something else. Fortunately my next piece (Chopin Ballard #1) will keep me busy pretty much of the next year anyway. Rach piece is close to finish as well. After I finish Rach piece, I will do a Bach piece which I have not done over 3 or 4 years. I personally like to do English suite #2. I miss it.

My non-achievement is failute to record the Beethoven piece for the recital this weekend. My husband and dogs kept interupting me. He promised that he would get out of the house next weekend. I will see...
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1784517 - 11/07/11 02:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
Gracie cat, that's interesting. We should swich our Christmas pieces (LOL).

For everyone who advised me - I finally wised up and made up my mind to tell my teacher "no mas!", no Christmas music for me this year. I have tons of christmas music from very easy to sort of difficult. I hate to disappoint her but I have too many music working on right now. Beethoven's Pathetique 2nd movement (soon to be done :), Rach Op 23 #5 and Mozart D major sonata for 4 hands. I'm also doing duet of the Cats from the musical - this one is easy.

My AoTW is that my teacher told me that I should be able to finish the Beethoven piece next week. Yay! I was going to finish the 3rd movement since I studied 1st and 2nd but I am feeling differently now. I know someone from the PC will kick my butt if I say this but I feel like I got so much Beethoven this year. I will pick it up later. I just like to do something else. Fortunately my next piece (Chopin Ballard #1) will keep me busy pretty much of the next year anyway. Rach piece is close to finish as well. After I finish Rach piece, I will do a Bach piece which I have not done over 3 or 4 years. I personally like to do English suite #2. I miss it.

My non-achievement is failute to record the Beethoven piece for the recital this weekend. My husband and dogs kept interupting me. He promised that he would get out of the house next weekend. I will see...

Hooray for standing up for yourself and playing what you like! laugh

Did you mean Chopin Ballade #1? (you wrote Ballard)
If so, I LOVE that piece. It was one of the first pieces I started working on when I learned to play last year. I memorized half of it but then went on to other pieces. I just printed out the sheet music for it and hopefully I'll polish up what I've got and then start learning the rest of the piece, but there's so much music to learn and my hands can only do so much practice every day. Good luck learning the piece!!
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
‚ô™ > $

#1784582 - 11/07/11 08:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Sam,it's Ballade #1. I have a habit of spelling like this. Thanks for letting me know. It was your first piece of piano - Wow! You must be very talented and familiar with classical music! 10 years ago, I did not even know Ballade existed. Good for you.

#1784659 - 11/07/11 11:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Burt59 Offline

Loc: St charles IL
@micheal loved the christmas song.

So i wanted to give a guys a little update on my practice. I am working on 2 pieces right now. Clementi op 36 1 and it will be really hard for me to play at tempo and it will take time.

I am also working on my second bach minuet( g minor) and i love it.

So after a little more than a month of piano i can definitely see that beeing 35 make things a lot harder than when you are kid. I need to practice a lot more. I also need to work on my sight reading badly. I think i will do that every day.

Clementi op 36 mvt 1
Kulhau OP 20 1

Playing since Oct2011

#1784704 - 11/07/11 12:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sam,it's Ballade #1. I have a habit of spelling like this. Thanks for letting me know. It was your first piece of piano - Wow! You must be very talented and familiar with classical music! 10 years ago, I did not even know Ballade existed. Good for you.

HAHA! Last year I didn't know who Chopin WAS! I started playing piano after seeing "The Pianist" last year. If you haven't seen it, you NEED to. It features both Nocturne in C charp minor and an abbreviated version of Ballade no 1. It's an unbelievably moving film.
‚ô™ > $

#1784709 - 11/07/11 01:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Burt59]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Burt59

So i wanted to give a guys a little update on my practice. I am working on 2 pieces right now. Clementi op 36 1 and it will be really hard for me to play at tempo and it will take time.

I am also working on my second bach minuet( g minor) and i love it.

So after a little more than a month of piano i can definitely see that beeing 35 make things a lot harder than when you are kid. I need to practice a lot more. I also need to work on my sight reading badly. I think i will do that every day.

Wow, you're cruising! I started in February, and just got that Clementi sonatina (3rd movement only) "done for now"... I can't imagine having tried it after one month.

My AOTW is to have survived another lesson where we worked on "groups and rhythms" on part of another Clementi sonatina, which I hadn't worked much on before that day. And, I have my assignments for the next 6 weeks - I'll be traveling, probably with rare/poor real internet access, but am hoping to have a keyboard to practice on when I get where I'm going. If not, I'm going to go into withdrawl... I do hope to be able to download the recital pieces once that's available, and look forward to listening!

I was hoping to re-record my own recital submission and get a better take, but that has fallen by the wayside with packing, and wanting to move on to my next piece(s)...

#1784723 - 11/07/11 01:28 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Sam Rose]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Originally Posted By: Sam Rose
HAHA! Last year I didn't know who Chopin WAS! I started playing piano after seeing "The Pianist" last year. If you haven't seen it, you NEED to. It features both Nocturne in C charp minor and an abbreviated version of Ballade no 1. It's an unbelievably moving film.

Sam, a great movie indeed! A true story also. Although the piece he played for the german soldier was actually used as the main theme in the movie.

Burt59, I think you do great after a month!

Farmgirl, good that you stand up for yourself. But I hope your lovely teacher won't be very disappointed. So I wish you luck telling her.

Well my AOTW is a bit strange. I tried to learn and play the first page of Dark Eyes Boogie of Martin. But the memorisation part I FAILED hopelessly.

For weeks I tried to learn, but the little variations and the two rythms against each other were to much for me.

It is also my first boogie piece. But I couldn't memorise it. I thought that was necessary because normally it is played at high speed.

So this weekend I dropped the memorise thing and tried to read and play, and not memorising it. In 6 x 30 minutes I learned the other 3 pages.

First HS and then HT at 15% speed, dead slow, with my eyes looking at the sheets. And no mistakes. Now I can play the whole piece!!!

I never learned 56 measures in 3 hours practise before!!! So fast...

And then I was stuck at the first 26 measures for weeks...

Playing since May 02 2009

#1784727 - 11/07/11 01:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Paperclip
Originally Posted By: Sam Rose

Sam, a great movie indeed! A true story also. Although the piece he played for the german soldier was actually used as the main theme in the movie.

I am aware of that. I actually read his memoir a couple weeks ago. I learned Nocturne in C sharp minor as well. It's so simple and beautiful! I think they used the ballade as the piece he played for the German soldier in order to make it more dramatic, with Szpilman going from shaky hands to super fast hands in a short period of time.
‚ô™ > $

#1785082 - 11/08/11 02:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Sam, yeah, I love the piece. I am gonna practice hard. It may save my life someday too.

I just noodled around my old christmas books. Oh what a fun it is to just sight read around! I love the one arranged by Jeanine Yeager. It would be so cool to have the skill to arrange music like her.

Paperclip, what's boogey? Is it a type of Jazz?

My AOTW so far is that I can finally getting the hang of the Hannon exercize #48 (exercize of scales in sixth). I can now play at metro 80 for a quarter note (4 x 16th notes). This exercise was horrible.. Even my dogs hated it. I hope my teacher let me move on to #49.

#1785111 - 11/08/11 04:43 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Started my first Scriabin piece

#1785196 - 11/08/11 09:26 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]

Originally Posted By: Lain

Wow, that sounds great.
Is it one of his early pieces or later ones? Whichever it is, I know you will handle it well. I like early pieces to listen to, but I have not yet developed mature enough music taste to appreciate his later ones. I hope I can understand his later pieces better someday.

At any rate, it's quite an undertaking. Let us know how it goes.

#1785211 - 11/08/11 09:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lain

smile

These Scriabin pieces are on my (ever increasing) to do list:

Prelude in E minor
Feuillet d'Album (Album Leaf)

Kawai K3

#1785226 - 11/08/11 10:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bessel]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Originally Posted By: bessel

cas - that sounds fantastic! May your roll continue for a long time... smile

I find myself in a funny spot this week - I can't manage to record an error-free version of my sonatina...

Hi Bessel I hope you submit your recording of this because I am working on the same one I believe and would love to hear you play it! We appear to be at a very similar level based on the pieces you've mentioned. I've been working on the song for 2 months and can get through it with rough spots all over. I do have the first 49 measures memorized though. I am finding that is making easier rather than harder to get through the piece. So while polishing the tough spots I add a bit more to the memory bank each week. Not at a point I can record it yet though!

#1785243 - 11/08/11 11:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Lain, I'd also like to know what piece you are going to learn. I love Scriabin.

My website

#1785247 - 11/08/11 11:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ZoeCalgary]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
Originally Posted By: bessel

cas - that sounds fantastic! May your roll continue for a long time... smile

I find myself in a funny spot this week - I can't manage to record an error-free version of my sonatina...

Hi Bessel I hope you submit your recording of this because I am working on the same one I believe and would love to hear you play it! We appear to be at a very similar level based on the pieces you've mentioned. I've been working on the song for 2 months and can get through it with rough spots all over. I do have the first 49 measures memorized though. I am finding that is making easier rather than harder to get through the piece. So while polishing the tough spots I add a bit more to the memory bank each week. Not at a point I can record it yet though!

Zoe -

I did submit it... there are a few minor flubs in there, and a section where I somehow am obviously not synchronizing my hands well despite the fact that when I play it it sounds fine to me... the cruelty of the red dot! Testament to the fact that I still have some things to learn and work on. smile

#1785320 - 11/08/11 02:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Paperclip, what's boogey? Is it a type of jazz?

It's boogie woogie. A piano blues with a typical bassline and shuffle to dance on it. Originated from the US and very popular in the 1920's.

But the 'Dark Eyes Boogie', I think, is only boogie without the woogie (i.e. without the shuffle), because it's played very fast and comes from the book The joy of blues and boogie. So a blues bookie... not a boogie woogie bookie. grin

Maybe better to understand with a vid though...

Lain, nice that you have choosen Scriabin for your next piece. I would love to play one of his pieces. Especially the Left Hand Only piece. But what piece did you choose?

Playing since May 02 2009

#1785341 - 11/08/11 02:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PaperClip]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I think this is my non-achievement of the week. I have managed to avoid learning scales so far, but I decided I needed to add them to my knowledge base. So, I learned the first set, C, D, E, G, and proceeded to play them for my teacher. She immediately told me that I needed to count them 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 1-2, 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 1-2 etc. accenting the first beat in each group. Well correct fingering and counting correctly turns out to be more than I bargained for. Hopefully I will have it by my lesson time on Saturday!

Paperclip: I love the Boogie Video!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#1785401 - 11/08/11 04:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Paperclip, It's Americna made. No wonder it sounds so American. It makes me want to dance:) Thank you.

#1785428 - 11/08/11 05:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Andy - Like the plan for splitting up the Clementi and the duet in the middle. Sounds like a lot of fun. How is the Debussy coming along?

Burt59 -
Quote:
So after a little more than a month of piano i can definitely see that beeing 35 make things a lot harder than when you are kid.
For a different perspective, by the time you are my age you will have been playing for more than 20 years! Can you imagine how insanely good you will be by then?

Paperclip - I'm with you... when I slow way way way down and don't allow any mistakes small miracles start to happen. Why is it so hard to follow this simple model? Even knowing this I usually have to fight with myself to slow it down enough.

Just got back from this week's lesson. Played Sarabande Second Variation and Scarlatti's Arioso. Got some nice compliments and just have a little more work on the last few measures of each to go. AOTW was playing Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered for her, which she didn't really know I was even working on. It went well and I had a big smile on my face when I nailed the ending. Felt so good I launched into a rendition of Shadow of Your Smile.

My wife has requested Over the Rainbow as my next self-study from the Coates Jazz Standards book, so that's now on my plate. Plus at lesson we talked about starting a new romantic era piece. We settled on Edward MacDowell's "Beauty in the Rosegarden" Op.4,No.3. She played it for me and it sounds wonderful - but it sure looks intimidating. I've a feeling this one will take a while. SOW is Db major.

Edited by JimF (11/08/11 05:25 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1785474 - 11/08/11 06:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JimF
Andy - Like the plan for splitting up the Clementi and the duet in the middle. Sounds like a lot of fun. How is the Debussy coming along?

Hmm, could be better! It's like a leaky boat that as soon as you fix one hole, water comes in another. It's not that bad but it could be a lot lot better. It is coming down to two sections that need more work so at least that's narrowing it down. The trouble is that comprises two fifths of the entire piece!!!

Kawai K3

#1785543 - 11/08/11 09:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
I practiced for two hours every day (not both hours at one stretch). So, some pieces I'm working on are starting to get there, and some new pieces that I used to play years ago--- some Scott Joplin rags--- I can play them better now. Part of it is that I can play better, and read better, and part of it is that now I have a piano that actually does something when you press the keys. Before, I played on some old beater uprights.

Anyway, it's better, and I'm happy about it.

#1785847 - 11/09/11 12:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
SeanC Offline

Loc: Akron, OH
Originally Posted By: Jeff Clef
I practiced for two hours every day (not both hours at one stretch). So, some pieces I'm working on are starting to get there, and some new pieces that I used to play years ago--- some Scott Joplin rags--- I can play them better now. Part of it is that I can play better, and read better, and part of it is that now I have a piano that actually does something when you press the keys. Before, I played on some old beater uprights.

Anyway, it's better, and I'm happy about it.

I don't know... for ragtime, old beater uprights can give it some character! :P

Speaking of Joplin... finally passed The Entertainer last weekend! Even after 5 months it's not quite perfect, but I've been itching to get back to my RCM book.

#1785963 - 11/09/11 04:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
"I don't know... for ragtime, old beater uprights can give it some character! :P Speaking of Joplin... finally passed The Entertainer last weekend!"

And old beaters were probably what the guys wrote them on and played them on back then. Character indeed, how could I argue, and they certainly proved you can go a long way with an old beater. But there is something thrilling--- to me, anyway--- with an instrument that has a real bass, a midrange that's not crappy as so many unfortunately are, and a treble that does more than plink (nothing against plinky pianos though, after all they've done for me).

I never learned Maple Leaf or The Entertainer. I have aspirations for the more challenging pieces, but I love the ones within my reach: Pineapple, Wall Street, Elite Syncopations, Bethena, Eugenia, Solace, Bink's Waltz, Magnetic, Scott Joplin's New Rag. And other composers do call to me. Two hours is only so long. Hey--- got to practice.

#1786053 - 11/09/11 07:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Ok, I went to my lesson today. The result is mixed, one up and one down.

Christmas piece - Yey, Merry Christmas to myself that I don't need to study Christmas piece. As I walked in, she was doing another Christmas medley prepared for me and it was very difficult to bring it up. But I did it and I got okay from her. I got lucky. She could not find a piece she really like for me:) Ahhhh I was blessed.

Beethoven - I played through the 2nd movement with a couple of mistakes. She was very pleased with the progress i made. So far so good. But when I said, "Can I move straight to Chopin.. I kinda got tired of Beethoven." It did not go well. She already prepared the fingerings for the whole movement... She said it's probably to finish all of them now since i worked on the 1st and 2nd movement... It's another 3 months with Beethoven before I can start Chopin Ballade #1. grin Don't take me wrong, I think it's a beautiful piece. My teacher is not a quitter for sure.

After Rachmaninoff prelude which will be complete in a couple of weeks, I will start English Suite. I kind of like #2 but I haven't really listened to all of them yet. So I will go buy the score and start listening to it now. It will be fun since I haven't done Bach for a while.

Page 54 of 231 < 1 2 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 230 231 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, Alex75001, *windowlicker*, 47 invisible), 1524 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157095 Topics
2307064 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
17 minutes 32 seconds ago
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
46 minutes 50 seconds ago
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
Chopin's Technician
by laguna_greg
Today at 02:03 PM
Could you please help my son choose a composition?
by christineka
Today at 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission