Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 72 of 215 < 1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1863170 - 03/16/12 03:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

Loc: USA
I finally memorized "Una Furtiva Lagrima"'s piano part, with some of the vocal transposed to piano in the blank areas. I just have two or three tough transitions to 4-finger chords that foul me in the middle and end of the thing, but I have it memorized, but not smooth.
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1863176 - 03/16/12 03:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Gee, sometimes I feel so out of place here. Where's the Adult Total Novice forum? smile

I've been self-teaching on-again/off-again for about a year, and I'm still learning the basics. But I did learn the bass line to Money (Pink Floyd) and Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) the other day. Not songs I intend to ever play to completion, but the parts I learned are so easy.

It's just nice to accomplish something outside of the beginner books and lessons once in a while, even if they are simple little riffs.

Also worked on the first 10 (or so) LH bars of Adagio (Suzanne Ciani), but I won't dare say I've learned it yet.

Edited by cheechako (03/16/12 03:32 PM)

#1863186 - 03/16/12 03:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Congratulations, cheechako! I don't know Seven Nation Army, but I love the relentless beat of Money.

#1863206 - 03/16/12 04:04 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
cheechako Offline

Loc: Anchorage, AK
Well, Seven Nation Army is so simple and repetative, I'm not sure it counts as learning. smile

I really like Nataly Dawn's cover on YouTube.

#1863310 - 03/16/12 06:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Two great songs, cheechako. It's always good to have fun.

Today I have memorised the bass line from Purcell's Ground (ZD 221; probably actually by William Croft, not Purcell). 3.5 bars, about 28 notes. Nothing at all. But it's all I need in LH, as it then repeats 10 more times. grin
A bit like Seven Nation Army!

#1863492 - 03/17/12 04:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
SwissMS -thanks for rescuing us and bringing us back up to the surface! Congrats on your trill. Aren't trills fun? I love them.

Burt59- Your first recital! Good for you. I don't think the other parent who spoke to you was simply being kind. Think about how many of us waited so very long before starting, ---- lots of people are still waiting, trying to summon up the courage to take the plunge and learn piano. He was most likely genuinely impressed that you had started and managed to perform in public. Don't forget that at most recitals, the audience is REALLY and sincerely rooting for all the performers.

DMT3339 - New music - ah, we all understand that thrill! Have a good time with your new challenges!

Rusty Foursome - 4 finger chords. Hmm. I have not yet come across any of those in my pieces. I find 3 finger chords sufficiently challengine. Good luck coming to grips with them!

Cheechako -- Please don't feel out of place - some of us here have only been playing a few months, a year or two, or three - then there are a few others who are farther along in their musical journey. It is a real mixed bag. Hey, sometimes we talk about which scales we're working on! We're all learning and sharing the adventure. Nothing is to simple or basic to put up as your AOTW in this thread - it is all relative to each person's experience.

Eglantine - will we get to hear your piece when you're done? I like Purcel very much - and whether this is Croft passing for Purcel or pure Purcel, if there is room for confusion, I'm sure I'd like it .

I have had a quiet week. I think my main achievement has just been getting to the piano period.
I have been improving with the use of the pedal, that started about 10 days ago or so.... and I've got the first page of my Chopin waltz (Am posthumous) memorized. I can play it all - V.E.R.Y. slowly.
However I don't think I'll be moving on to the second page til I have this one a bit more up to speed. The second page has a LOT in common with the beginning of the piece so I believe it will be much quicker to learn.

#1863508 - 03/17/12 05:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Casinitaly, my Olympus LS-10 is currently with Olympus UK tech services, as it completely packed up. (And it was only 5 weeks out of warranty!) I'm just waiting to hear if they can fix it. It's taking a few weeks. I'm hoping to get the Purcell in recordable shape by the time I get it back.

#1863590 - 03/17/12 10:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

I have finished memorizing Satie's First Gymnopédie. That means I now have three pieces memorized.

Also I have learned my last three harmonic minor scales, so now I know all 24 major and harmonic minor scales.

#1863845 - 03/17/12 07:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Greetings, everyone!

P88 - Hey, I have exactly 3 pieces memorized now, too! Two Clementi movements and a not-Bach minuet from the Anna Magdelena notebook. But I have nowhere *near* as many scales memorized...

Burt59 - your recital sounds great. It sounds like you did a great job! I have never done one, and can only imagine how much playing "publicly" would mess me up... I'm guessing it would be plenty messy. A hearty congratulations.

I've had a quiet few weeks, piano-wise. My latest Clementi movement is really coming together - lots of compliments today from my instructor, though we worked on the final 10 bars as I was least confident there. Now he's got me working on Fur Elise, which some of you may know tickles me pink because I love Beethoven and this is my first. I've got the first easy part going but not very smooth yet, and soon will start having to deal with what I'd call the first fast part. He thinks I can do it, so I'm psyched!

And just to say what's up with scales, since casinitaly mentioned them... I'm working on 2 octaves in anything other than C major... starting with G... shoulda done these long ago, but better late than never!

#1864439 - 03/18/12 11:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Just checking in to see how everyone's doing. It's great to see some new contributors here, as well as updates from some of the "originals". Not a whole lot going on here, except that I'm really enjoying my Satie piece, Gnossienne #5. I've been having so much fun with it, that I also started working on #3 and #4. Can't wait for my next lesson, to start getting some feedback on these new ones.

#1864447 - 03/18/12 11:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Still working on my Joplin piece Weeping Willow. It is coming along quite nicely. I can now play through the first 2 sections fairly well. I like to play it slower than I have seen others play on YouTube. Hopefully, I can have something worth recording soon. I think I am hooked on Joplin. I have to play something different once I finish Weeping Willow.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1864548 - 03/19/12 07:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Michael Taylor]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Michael Taylor
I think I am hooked on Joplin. I have to play something different once I finish Weeping Willow.

Have you played "Bethena"? It's not technically demanding and, I think, very beautiful. An excellent training ground for controlled rubato.

#1864575 - 03/19/12 08:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PianoStudent88]
Eglantine Offline

Originally Posted By: PianoStudent88
I have finished memorizing Satie's First Gymnopédie. That means I now have three pieces memorized.

Also I have learned my last three harmonic minor scales, so now I know all 24 major and harmonic minor scales.

Congrats on the scales!

(I'm finding scales don't stick unless I learn a piece in that scale.)

#1864599 - 03/19/12 09:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PianoStudent88]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA

I'm finding the Gymnopédie tricky to memorize (though I will admit I spend 80% of my time for new repertoire on the Rameau I'm learning and the other 20% on Satie and Fur Elise). The main theme is very simple; but the second theme (and the slightly modified end section) trip me up. I think it's the very subtle variations in chord voicing.

I love this piece - my teacher hates it. I always make a point of telling her when others hear me practicing, if they hear the Gymnopédie, that's the one they comment on 100% of the time! cool

Kawai K3

#1864605 - 03/19/12 09:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

Eglantine, I find sort of the reverse: my learning of the scales seems to be quite independent of my ability (or lack of ability!) to play a piece in that key. Just knowing where to put my fingers in the scale pattern doesn't seem to translate to a knowledge of key geography or key signature if the notes are in the non-linear order of a piece of music.

Andy Platt, I agree with you about the relative complexity of the parts in the First Gymnopédie. I left a good long gap to let the other parts get solid in memory before memorizing the very last phrase. Partly I was waiting for any part of that phrase to sink in by osmosis, as had partly happened for the other phrases. No dice. But once I finally tackled it by concentrated mental effort, the patterns in it became clearer. I sometimes practice by saying the names of the chords to myself. If I'm really feeling energetic, I'll say their inversions also.

Edited by PianoStudent88 (03/19/12 09:25 AM)

#1864612 - 03/19/12 09:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

Oh, one more thing on the Satie (in contrast to your teacher's hating it). I learned Gnossienne No. 1 first, and would have loved to play it for my teacher's upcoming recital, but she nixed it as too strange for the audience. So I thought, oh well, no Satie. But then as I was learning the First Gymnopédie, she thought it was very pretty and asked if I would play it for the recital. Whoo-hoo!

Everyone plays two pieces, so I'll be playing Beethoven's Sonatina in F, and then the Gymnopédie.

#1864619 - 03/19/12 09:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: PianoStudent88]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Oh, one more thing on the Satie (in contrast to your teacher's hating it). I learned Gnossienne No. 1 first, and would have loved to play it for my teacher's upcoming recital, but she nixed it as too strange for the audience.

What was the audience? I'd have thought any Satie would be very approachable. Though the Gymnopédies have been so (over) used signature and incidental music on radio and TV that they're already familiar to most people.

#1864803 - 03/19/12 03:33 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
2000 Post Club Member

Mostly beginner piano students, and their apparently musically-unsophisticated parents. I think the Gnossienne No. 1 is thought to be a bit too minimalist for their taste. For the First Gymnopédie, it's probably an advantage if it's familiar.

#1865324 - 03/20/12 12:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
Rusty Fortysome Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

I'm finding the Gymnopédie tricky to memorize ...The main theme is very simple; but the second theme (and the slightly modified end section) trip me up. I think it's the very subtle variations in chord voicing.

That was my 7th piece I memorized, and I learned it last December/January 2010/2011. It sucked. Love it, but YEAH it isn't so easy to memorize. I was playing and playing and playing and by this time last year I was wondering if I'd every play it OK.

And now I do, but I still hit a wrong note every so often--usually confusing a D or E that begins phrasing within a section--and the last few arpeggios or chords still goof me up if I am drifting off. Sometimes I end the piece and go "WTF?!? I PLAYED THE ENDING OF THE FIRST PART A SECOND TIME! DAR!"

But, it comes along. I just play too much stuff to nail down all my stuff precisely. By the end of the year I have to go back and get it right. HOWEVER, as you progress, listen to others playing the song and notice how about 80% of the performances of the piece lack any soul. It is almost a self regulating piece which will rely on the very movement of your hands to create the feeling. It shouldn't be too slow and it shouldn't be monotonously hammered through. You can flourish your hands and achieve a better sounding performance than most of the professionals selling it on CDs; I think they just churn it out for a buck.

Satie wrote it as "furniture music" or what others now equate to Musak of the late 1800s. It was meant to fill a space with music behind the life, meal, conversation, etc. It was never meant to be contemplated and dwelt on. As such it is awesome and never seems to tire--a true classic bagatelle.

Edited by Rusty Fortysome (03/20/12 12:07 PM)
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"Claire DeLune (finally)"

#1865585 - 03/20/12 08:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
manyhands Offline

Loc: Md
not sure if this thread is alive but I want my first post to be a heartened thank you for all the enthusiasm and ideas. I began in Nov 2009 on my 60th birthday figur time was a waistin'! Love making music. Started w Schaum. Now in Thompson gr 3.
Toreodor is a challenge with grace notes and devilish 16ths. Reading your posts is reassuring that this can be accomplished. My teacher is very kind, so that helps make my fluffs less catastrophic. My goal is to someday be able to play entire pieces smoothly. She says pianists never get it perfect, they just better learn to improvise through errors!
this weeks excitement, true arr grin ival in 3 (counting!) days of a "new to me" Yamaha U1.

Big Mama Yama U1

#1866045 - 03/21/12 03:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: manyhands]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
manyhands,

Welcome to the thread. I love your PW name..... many hands, well, at least a few extra, is exactly what I feel like I need when I look at a new piece!

If we didn't make mistakes we wouldn't need teachers. Plus, mistakes are the best source of information we have as to exactly what we need to work on. Think of them as your friends, worth their weight in gold in the search for improvement.

Congrats on your new piano. It doesn't get much better than sitting down to your new instrument and getting acquainted. We want pics!!! grin

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1866051 - 03/21/12 04:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The AOW's seem few and far between for me lately.

Still working on the MacDowell, mostly rubato and voicing issues. I've been recording it and then working on improving the parts I am unhappy with.... alas, still have a way to go.

Ravel is coming along and I should be ready to start polishing it in the next few weeks. Then I'm going to have to choose between it and MacDowell for my teacher's May recital...and I have no idea at this point which one I will pick!

Handel's Gavotte should be the last baroque before I get to tackle a Bach Invention, which I'm really looking forward to. We've been doing all kinds of things to increase finger strength and eliminate tension....all kind of leading up to the more advanced Bach material I think.

The usual reading, scales, Hannon (finished with doz/day-4). My jazzy stuff in the evening. Life at the bench marches on.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1866063 - 03/21/12 04:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: JimF
The AOW's seem few and far between for me lately. [...]
Even so, it sounds like you have things very well planned out. A bit at a time... and then you realize that you've made progress! Nice that you're almost to the polishing phase with your Ravel. Do you like that phase the most, or do you like the beginning stages of learning a piece?

manyhands -- welcome to the forum. This thread is most certainly not dead! And yes, it's a great place to come to be inspired and to look back on challenges that have been overcome. Congrats on the new piano -- exciting!

#1866092 - 03/21/12 05:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
...the polishing phase with your Ravel. Do you like that phase the most, or do you like the beginning stages of learning a piece?
To be honest, MaryBee, I have very limited experience with real polishing like I am trying to do right now. My teacher's preference is usually for me to just move on to the next piece once I get something to where all the notes are in and there is at least some dynamic shape to it. In fact if I had to state what I'm most trying to get out of these pieces it is just that...experience with really trying to mold the music to the way I want it to sound. Unfortunately, I think, (and my teacher has said so, in so many words) that my ear for what sounds good is quite a bit ahead of my skills at the bench. sick

Just one more challenge to work on.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1866211 - 03/21/12 08:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
That is a really nice thing to point out, Jim. I think that one of the interesting differences between child and adult learners is the one you just pointed out in the final sentence of your post. Even though you put a green face after it, I think that you should instead celebrate your refined ear with a smile . Perhaps you cannot make it sound exactly as you would like it to.....but it is HUGE that you know how you would like it to sound.
My teacher moves me on pretty quickly for the same reason. I sometimes feel very frustrated and I once even argued that I should continue to polish a piece but she said it would be VERY difficult to achieve what I was going for at this stage of my development.
I don't have an achievement this week. Unfortunately, my entire family was hit with the flu sick (the face fits here!) . I haven't touched the piano in 5 days!!!!

#1866318 - 03/21/12 11:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Today I stopped into a piano store that I had never been to before. I got a compliment from two people. One gentleman noticed I was playing a nocturne, and asked me to play it for him on a piano he had just purchased. Later, one of the ladies that worked there told me that I was a "Steinway player", which I took as a compliment--and don't burst my bubble by giving me the most obvious reason for such a compliment!!

#1866356 - 03/22/12 12:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: hawgdriver]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
Later, one of the ladies that worked there told me that I was a "Steinway player", which I took as a compliment--and don't burst my bubble by giving me the most obvious reason for such a compliment!!

They pay you?

That can't be it, you know. It has to be because your playing exactly suits the Steinway sound, and vice-versa. Both top of the line, no?

That's cool -

Cathy

#1866399 - 03/22/12 03:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: hawgdriver]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: hawgdriver
Today I stopped into a piano store that I had never been to before. I got a compliment from two people. One gentleman noticed I was playing a nocturne, and asked me to play it for him on a piano he had just purchased. Later, one of the ladies that worked there told me that I was a "Steinway player", which I took as a compliment--and don't burst my bubble by giving me the most obvious reason for such a compliment!!

Awesome!! I wish you had recorded it frown
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
‚ô™ > $

#1866539 - 03/22/12 10:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Welcome Manyhands!
Yes, this thread is alive and well, and I'm really happy to see so many new faces (figuratively speaking!) lately.

The music you're playing sounds like fun!

Jim - which Gavotte of Handel are you playing?
I think your comments on being able to hear where your weaknesses are is actually an accomplishment. Once we get to the point where we really know it can be done better, we've reached a new level of understanding where we are on the voyage and where we can go! What is exciting is when you see that you can't quite get something, but know it is within your grasp.

Christine, I hope everyone at your place is feeling better now so you can get back to your normal routines - not just piano!

Hawgdriver - hey, learn to take a compliment - ok, maybe she was trying to sell you a piano, but you're no fool - you know you can play well, and who knows, maybe a Steinway will be in your future! smile

I have no accomplishments to report except that despite feeling ill, I did manage to get in a little playing every day.

My piano teacher just rang the bell....catch you later!

Edited to add: I REALLY am making progress with my pedalling - my teacher complimented me on it ! :):):):)

Edited by casinitaly (03/22/12 12:15 PM)

#1866582 - 03/22/12 12:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
hawgdriver Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Cathy, Cas, Sam -- smile

Page 72 of 215 < 1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
135 registered (36251, ando, Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, 42 invisible), 1422 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74307 Members
42 Forums
153695 Topics
2253088 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Artistry at the Piano.Did anybody try it without a tutor?
by LeoPianist2014
04/24/14 09:16 AM
Top Of The World Piano - The Carpenters
by Phuc Pham
04/24/14 09:13 AM
Which piano suits what music best?
by wimpiano
04/24/14 08:28 AM
Send midi files from Windows 7 to Clavinova CLP150
by vilbs
04/24/14 05:54 AM
Spelling chords and using correct accidentals
by JoelW
04/24/14 03:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission