2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 160 of 540 1 2 158 159 160 161 162 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Allard...I'm sure you are going to contribute! No doubt about it -you've already started!

I've had that "Really, I played it very well before playing it for you! " conversation with my teachers many times.... They hear it all the time smile
but it is so true! even in our "safe zone" we get the jitters.

I found it particularly comforting when my new teacher told me that when he was training to be a conductor and participating in master classes, even with all his experience, he felt nervous!

Toastie, if you have committed to buying a piano after just a few months, your passion is indeed strong and I have no doubt you are doing well. Otherwise you wouldn't have felt up to the investment.

I know I felt that I had to "prove" (at least to myself) I was going to make progress before I brought up the subject of getting an acoustic.
I still remember when we went to the shop in Feb ---(I got my digital in Dec)... and my husband tinkled a few keys on a baby grand. He looked at me and said...."If you stick with this for five years I'll buy you one of these". Bless him.

In fact, within the end of that year (after 10 months of playing the digital) I got my upright - a P112. A small upright but excellent for our apartment.

I am thrilled with it and trust you will be equally enchanted with your U3 when it arrives!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've had that "Really, I played it very well before playing it for you! " conversation with my teachers many times.... They hear it all the time smile
but it is so true! even in our "safe zone" we get the jitters.

I have this EVERY lesson LOL. I must jinx myself because I tell my teacher I can play the piece, scale, chord whatever it is then proceed to either forget it or bodge it. I now tell him that I know it/can play it but will surely bodge it due to my nerves! It normally takes me a few goes to get in the swing of it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, feel better about it today, think I was a bit overwhelmed yesterday!! I am going to visit it in the shop today (who cares if they think I'm nuts, I've handed over the money so I shall go and practice on my piano in their shop!)

Awww nice- you will be able to say proudly to people who come in this is my piano!

EdwardianPIano, they are going to let me know the delivery date once they arrange it with the delivery people, as it has to be on a Saturday so I may have to wait a couple of weeks. This is a bit annoying, but I have waited 28 years so far for this piano, so I guess I can wait a bit longer.

I bet you must be dying to have new piano in your house!!!

And the other nice thing was that the man in the piano shop said that my playing was really good after only a few months. He said this after I had already paid thousands of pounds so I don't think he was flattering me to buy the piano haha.

You see? You deserve this piano! You worked to raise the money for it, you work at your practise - you deserve it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Loads of links there- will have a look later, thanks Bob.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
Looks like there's lots of information there. I'm going to spend some time there. Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by Toastie
I just bought my U3. Not sure when delivery will be, but I now actually own the piano. I am now penniless. I feel a bit sick. I think it's the combination of having been so excited for so long and having just spent so much money.
I justified my piano purchase several years ago by thinking of how many years I would have to enjoy playing it. Compared to a new car, for instance, it cost much less, I'd have it for much longer, and I'd get more hours of use on it. Enjoy your new purchase!

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I found it particularly comforting when my new teacher told me that when he was training to be a conductor and participating in master classes, even with all his experience, he felt nervous!
My teacher gave a public piano performance a while ago (he doesn't do this often, since composition is his thing), and he told me that he was so nervous beforehand, he felt like he was going to throw up. I don't know if that is comforting to know or not.

Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I have this EVERY lesson LOL. I must jinx myself because I tell my teacher I can play the piece, scale, chord whatever it is then proceed to either forget it or bodge it.
I know my teacher has heard this way too many times. So whenever I really mess something up, just to be funny I say, "But I played it so much better at home!" It doesn't really work as an excuse, but maybe it's a little funnier, now that I'm having in-home lessons. smile

-----

I was at a fundraiser last night, and one of the auction items was three voice lessons. I won the bid, so now I'm looking at trying out something totally new for me, and something that I'm not at all comfortable with. But I'm still strangely excited.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
A
A
Voice lessons? Sweet! Perhaps you'll be singing to your own accompaniment for the next recital, MaryBee?

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MaryBee
[I was at a fundraiser last night, and one of the auction items was three voice lessons. I won the bid, so now I'm looking at trying out something totally new for me, and something that I'm not at all comfortable with. But I'm still strangely excited.

Excited? Of course! Strangely? Why? Isn't life all about trying new things? You'll let us know what you learned of course?

T
T

Toastie, if you have committed to buying a piano after just a few months, your passion is indeed strong and I have no doubt you are doing well. Otherwise you wouldn't have felt up to the investment.

I know I felt that I had to "prove" (at least to myself) I was going to make progress before I brought up the subject of getting an acoustic.
I still remember when we went to the shop in Feb ---(I got my digital in Dec)... and my husband tinkled a few keys on a baby grand. He looked at me and said...."If you stick with this for five years I'll buy you one of these". Bless him.

In fact, within the end of that year (after 10 months of playing the digital) I got my upright - a P112. A small upright but excellent for our apartment.

I am thrilled with it and trust you will be equally enchanted with your U3 when it arrives!

Thank you for your very kind words. I am indeed completely obsessed with piano, I knew quite quickly that I wanted to buy one. I also immediately became quite interested in reading about them (that's how I ended up here, haha). Don't know what happened to me in the last few months, but piano is never far from my thoughts.

Its lovely that you have a P112, I sometimes practice on one of those and really like it. There's one in one of the music rooms at work. There's also a C3 in the theatre at work, so I play those every chance I get.... I also spend a lot of time hanging around in cupboards playing an old organ, a variety of strange keyboards, or a horrible ancient upright if that's all that's available, so the P112 and C3 are a real treat for me! I think eventually I'd like my own C3, as I am very fond of the one at work - i like to pretend its my piano smile

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
T
T
EdwardianPiano, I spent an hour in there playing it this morning! There were very few customers and the staff seemed to think it was quite funny that I had gone back there to see it. They were very nice about it, even when I warned them that I'm going to be really annoying as they will see a lot of me until it's delivered.

It just feels perfect - really comfortable and it has a very nice sound.

I have indeed worked very hard for it. Just wish my hard work would pay off in my piano lessons, as I went straight from the piano shop to my lesson yesterday and was a complete wreck, could barely play a thing. Am like that more and more lately, I think I expect to be able to do more than I can, so then I end up being even less competent because I make myself stressed when I inevitably mess up. Then I spend the whole lesson apologising. Argh. Need to get a grip - I'm sure I was saying the same thing a few weeks ago - expecting instant perfection is unrealistic. Well this week I have a lot to do, so I will work really hard at it, then expect to mess up in the lesson and just laugh at my mistakes.

Last edited by Toastie; 11/10/12 05:04 PM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EdwardianPiano, I spent an hour in there playing it this morning! There were very few customers and the staff seemed to think it was quite funny that I had gone back there to see it. They were very nice about it, even when I warned them that I'm going to be really annoying as they will see a lot of me until it's delivered.

Awwww sweet!

It just feels perfect - really comfortable and it has a very nice sound.

Just as we all said- you got the piano you were meant to have Toastie. yippie

I have indeed worked very hard for it. Just wish my hard work would pay off in my piano lessons, as I went straight from the piano shop to my lesson yesterday and was a complete wreck, could barely play a thing. Am like that more and more lately, I think I expect to be able to do more than I can, so then I end up being even less competent because I make myself stressed when I inevitably mess up. Then I spend the whole lesson apologising. Argh. Need to get a grip - I'm sure I was saying the same thing a few weeks ago - expecting instant perfection is unrealistic. Well this week I have a lot to do, so I will work really hard at it, then expect to mess up in the lesson and just laugh at my mistakes.

I know what you mean. Perhaps like me, you feel a bit embarrassed? I do as an adult beginner- my teacher is much younger than I been to music college. I sometimes think I must look like a silly old fart with my fumbly fingers! blush

That's why if I work summat out by ear I'll show him- I do stuff on my own that wasn't part of the lesson so as to know and show I am not completely daft LOL!

There was a 15 year old boy playing guitar in a shopping centre in town today. He is good and writes music too. I had a chat about music with him- at least I can talk a bit about music- couldn't do that a few weeks ago.

We must keep at it Toastie. I know you are getting better and I know where I am improving. Rome wasn't built in a day.... thumb

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/10/12 05:58 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Toastie, learning to laugh off the mistakes is a good thing. Caring is important, but stressing is a bad thing. Tension leads to mistakes. One mistake can cascade into five, and then freezing up. I think almost all of us have been there. A relaxed state of focus is that sweet spot. A deep breath or two, centering, and perhaps even closing the eyes, can help getting to that place. I like to tell myself that mistakes are average, that there is no danger involved, that perfection is a dream (especially for beginners).

Week 35: My attention turns to two Christmas songs, God Rest Ye Gentleman and Silent Night. Progress is slow. I return to slowing way down as suggested by several on the forum, in an attempt to play from the notation accurately. Both are well known simple tunes. I skipped a day this week. On the other days averaged 20 minutes a day.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just wish my hard work would pay off in my piano lessons, as I went straight from the piano shop to my lesson yesterday and was a complete wreck, could barely play a thing. Am like that more and more lately, I think I expect to be able to do more than I can, so then I end up being even less competent because I make myself stressed when I inevitably mess up. Then I spend the whole lesson apologising. Argh. Need to get a grip - I'm sure I was saying the same thing a few weeks ago - expecting instant perfection is unrealistic. Well this week I have a lot to do, so I will work really hard at it, then expect to mess up in the lesson and just laugh at my mistakes.

This would go perfectly in the "I Want To Give Up" thread...

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Just wish my hard work would pay off in my piano lessons, as I went straight from the piano shop to my lesson yesterday and was a complete wreck, could barely play a thing. Am like that more and more lately, I think I expect to be able to do more than I can, so then I end up being even less competent because I make myself stressed when I inevitably mess up. Then I spend the whole lesson apologising. Argh. Need to get a grip - I'm sure I was saying the same thing a few weeks ago - expecting instant perfection is unrealistic. Well this week I have a lot to do, so I will work really hard at it, then expect to mess up in the lesson and just laugh at my mistakes.

This would go perfectly in the "I Want To Give Up" thread...

Except we're the group that doesn't give up ! smile

Toastie, I really think it comes down to slowing down.
I noticed that I really had to slow down to work with the mentronome (bless its little mechanisms..grrr).... and as irritating as that was, it really did help me get a grip on where my weak areas were (no...ARE) and let me go slowly enough to be accurate.

I don't know how many times I have read about "slow practice" in these forums - and in this thread... but finally I'm starting to get it and do it, with good results.

Don't let your frustrations build up - take breaks, breathe deeply, and take your time. Remember, this piano learning experience is a long journey, not a destination. smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I also had to figure out a way to gracefully cut out the sax solos in the middle and at the end -- I just wasn't up for trying to adapt those to the piano. All the sheet music versions I found were horrendously schmaltzy or too simple, so I made my own arrangement.

AOTD: I had forgotten the chords that I had used to transition through the sax solo portions because I never wrote them down. Today I worked them out again to my satisfaction -- and jotted them down as well this time. wink

I also thought up a couple different ways to end it, which I now have to chose from... I'd experimented with doing each successively, but it didn't quite work to resolve with a nice glissando and then go in another direction and resolve again. So the very end is still TBD, but it's good to have that anxiety over as I was worried that it would be a nightmare to figure out again since I have only just a smidge of "self-taught" music theory under my belt.

I promise I won't post every day, that would be too much domination of the thread and boring for all concerned, but I'm trying to get myself going with focusing on what I'm actually getting done on a concrete level to move forward.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't let your frustrations build up - take breaks, breathe deeply, and take your time.

Josh Wright recommends taking regular breaks -- I think he says no more than 20 minutes at the piano at a time. That might mean just taking a spin around the room and looking out the window for a minute, grabbing a drink, etc.

This is really good advice (which I regularly forget to take).

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Having a short attention span--SQUIRREL!--makes taking regular breaks a cinch. Taking breaks--no problemo.

My AOTW is I've re-dedicated myself to practicing a limited number of measures for the new pieces I'm learning. I was getting into the habit of playing (slowly, slowly) all the way through the piece, which meant I wasn't getting sufficient repeats on the hard measures. This little bit of discipline has helped a lot in just the last few days.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Lots of achievement and a new piano. Looks like everyone seems to have a good week. I practiced today with a clear head. Incredible difference. I was able to read through and play through the entire fugue from the WTC book II f minor P&F and also Brahms Intetmesso 118 #2. Particularly I enjoyed playing Brahms when I'm not tired. Now that I have notes, I can start experimenting with expressions. I listened to 5 or 6 recording of the piece. Interestingly, I find Glenn Gould recording fascinating. What a great left hand! I did not like his Bach as much as others say I should. But IMHO his Brahms recording was nice. I like Angela Hewitt for Bach. Hope we all have a good week again.

B
B
Originally Posted by MaryBee

I was at a fundraiser last night, and one of the auction items was three voice lessons. I won the bid, so now I'm looking at trying out something totally new for me, and something that I'm not at all comfortable with. But I'm still strangely excited.

Oh cool! I would love to have a single voice lesson, just for the fun of it. Since my son started with a new "rock-oriented" teacher, I of course have been following along... and singing "let it be" while playing the chords, late at night while no one is listening. If only I could fit the keyboard in the shower...

Have fun with it - and let us know what you think after you've had them, ie what you learned!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
... also Brahms Intetmesso 118 #2. Particularly I enjoyed playing Brahms when I'm not tired. Now that I have notes, I can start experimenting with expressions. I listened to 5 or 6 recording of the piece. Interestingly, I find Glenn Gould recording fascinating. What a great left hand! I did not like his Bach as much as others say I should. But IMHO his Brahms recording was nice. I like Angela Hewitt for Bach. Hope we all have a good week again.

I was introduced to Brahms 118, #2 by kamibambiraptor on YouTube. Still my favorite version... he's not a concert pianist by any means, but he lingers on each note and we get to savor it just long enough to suck the marrow out and begin to pine for the next.

Gould, Rubinstein, and most of the rest sound like teenagers in the back of a car to me.

Citlalli Guevara's version is very good though, better technically, and roughly the same clock speed as kamibambiraptor.

Might we see this in a future recital? I'd love to hear your version, FWIW.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
B
B
FarmGirl, did you just say you got a new piano??? Do tell!

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun after so much travel.

My AOTW... well, I'm struggling to decide what to submit to the recital... was planning on a Schumann-fest but now considering going with some Clementi, which of course means that neither is really polished. I recorded a good version of "happy farmer" from Schumann, could probably do the same on "Wild horseman" tomorrow, and have a medium recording of the Clementi movement (first take!), so trying to decide what to do, what to do...

Meanwhile, I've been working on 12-bar blues in the left hand, the C blues scale, "let it be", and assorted other non-classical stuff, all because we have a rock piano teacher coming to our house on Sundays to teach my son. Of course I sit in the room to soak it in as well. smile

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
Page 160 of 540 1 2 158 159 160 161 162 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission