Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
150 registered (alans, A Guy, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, 43 invisible), 1434 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 217 of 246 < 1 2 ... 215 216 217 218 219 ... 245 246 >
Topic Options
#2270242 - 05/02/14 03:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Thanks. I indeed most of the time flub at the same two places. One right hand and one left hand flub to keep it balanced wink
If I concentrate too much on not flubbing it's indeed very machine like which I don't prefer either. When just playing I don't mind a flub and then the pleasure comes out wink
I suppose I just have to practice the "weak spots a lot" before I add speed.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2270248 - 05/02/14 03:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Originally Posted By: wimpiano
Anybody tips for getting this recital ready in a week? I am playing it slowly and still flub two times frown

You do realize that you are required to make at least one mistake?
With two "flubs".... That puts you twice as good as our benchmark!

#2270304 - 05/02/14 05:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: bstark]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
Bstark--way to stick it out! Just be patient. Getting your hands to move independently requires re-training your brain. It takes a long time.

While I sometimes practice as much as three hours a day, I don't do it at one sitting. Play piano is actually quite mentally and physically taxing. Break it up. This gives your brain time to digest what you've done, and your fingers time to rest.
Yamaha P155

#2270307 - 05/02/14 05:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: wimpiano]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
wimpiano,

I think you are ready with just a little more very slow practice of just those parts you say are prone to flub. Just do it very slow, exactly correct at least 5 times in a row (just the small part that needs it) and stop. Do that at the end of your day's practice session each day for 5 days and I will bet you that you never miss those spots again.

Your musicality is very nice on this, so don't let it become wooden with robotlike over-repetition run throughs of the whole piece. Not being perfect is part of the deal....there will always be room for improvement.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2270314 - 05/02/14 05:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My AOTW is deciding to host a pre-recital piano soiree for the adults that plan to play in my teacher's upcoming recital. Looks like there will be four of us getting together for some piano fun and adult beverages about a week before the recital.

Now I've got to step it up on the Jarret arrangement. My teacher and I recently changed two of the chords that were already baked into my fingers, so I've got some unlearning and relearning to do. That plus the need to really speed it up has me putting most everything else on a back burner. Have a piece I might submit to ABF, but have not touched it this week and have no recordings yet. Busy times.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2270812 - 05/04/14 02:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Happy Happy Joy Joy (obscure reference to some thing that used to be cool). Being a beginner is a roller coaster of emotions, yesterday I was ready to hang up my sustain pedal today I want to give Chopin Ballade No 1 a go (but better not chance my luck).

The bad news: I don't feel my Clementi Sonatina No 2 is progressing, but then again it's only been 132 days since commencing (not that I am counting or anything).

The good news: I got one past the red dot and submitted to the PW recital today (oh the relief).....but wait there is more. My teacher gave me Satie's Gnossienne No.1 casually mentioning it was grade 6, way above my paygrade. Whether or not it's a grade 6 is debatable but the achievement was getting the recurring bass to chord jump which I can do without looking and get right most of the time. This is my first real exposure to a significant jump and now I just want to jump jump jump....... May have had way to much chocolate in celebration of getting into the recital.

#2270846 - 05/04/14 07:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Jim that sounds like a great event. I have agreed to play in the end of year recital at the school this year and I dread being the only adult, but I want the experience of playing in public. (Why? I ask myself...why?....)...Well, to prepare for the piano party in Lisbon!!!

Good luck with the "unlearning" and submitting to the ABF recital!

EarlofMar - that Clementi N2 is lovely - but hard to improve once you it a certain point. I decided to put it aside for a while and take it up again in a few months.

I got my ABF recital piece submitted this morning - whew. The red dot started to get to me... I won't say I beat it completely but I did have it cowering (and glowering smile )in the corner til I got my recording done.

I'm glad I was using the silent feature: Sunday morning is a bad time to record with acoustic because of all the church bells!

#2270888 - 05/04/14 09:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Phew! I survived my daughter's wedding.
After that, playing in a live recital will be a breeze!

#2270904 - 05/04/14 10:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
rnaple Offline

Originally Posted By: malkin
Phew! I survived my daughter's wedding.

Now that's an achievement if I ever heard one!
Congratulations!
Attending your son's or daughter's wedding must be a rather surreal experience?

#2270934 - 05/04/14 11:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
I am glad to read so many reports. Sounds like some are making major strides.

Malkin, congrats on the daughter's wedding.

Week 112: A relatively quiet week. I have yet to try to record for the recital. I'll do what I've done for the last few, record a few takes over the course of several days, and then pick the best of those. I have a Songmakers meeting in two weeks and have to decide if some of the pieces in the oven are ready for the public or not, and whether to try and have the group sing while I play or not if I do Tonight or Colder Weather.

#2271524 - 05/05/14 04:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Oddsox Offline

Loc: not LA, California
Here's one for the beginners.... hehe

Still only plunking away on an easy version of Adele's Someone Like You. Only on page 2, but it sounds better than it did a few weeks ago. Little to no pause before my left hand has to do something. The left hand is actually hitting the right notes more often that not. I admit I don't practice every day, so these are little wins, but wins for me. laugh

But my achievement is getting the first 6 exercises in my Dozen a Day book down without tossing the metronome out the window. AND... I even started Bach's Minuet in G Major (No. 1) from Bastien's Easy Piano Classics just to give myself something else to play besides my assigned song. Right hand picked it up pretty quick, left hand is still a little slow.

#2272018 - 05/06/14 06:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Malkin, - felicitations to your daughter and her new husband!

SandTiger-good luck getting your recording done for the recital!

OddSox: May you be blessed with patience as you get used to working with the metronome. I drives me mad, but I am finding its uses...gradually! As for your improvement on the current piece - "little improvements" is what this thread is all about - rejoicing in our baby steps!

My ATOW: NAILING the piece that has been giving me grief for the past month. I got another "great" from my teacher. That's 2 in 1 month...(I told him I wouldn't let it go to my head)....
I feel like after 4 years of baby steps I have finally taken (at least ONE) giant step!
Truly, the last few weeks I have felt a tremendous shift in what I'm doing and I think the next few months are going to be really interesting. I'm feeling a lot more confident and super-enthusiastic about tackling the next pieces!

#2272094 - 05/06/14 10:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Cas..... a very very serious congratulations to you...
I hope we might be hearing some of this in the recitals? smile

#2272253 - 05/07/14 08:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
malkin - wow, that's a great achievement. We want a video!

Sand Tiger - You've plenty of time to submit the piece. Relax.

Oddsox - Oh, there's a big distance between Bach and Adele smile Good job!

Casinitaly - I know what you mean. I felt a shift last year too, when I played the piece "Life".
It feels wonderful. And I'm still waiting for more shifts in my piano playing...
Congratulations!

No special AOTW for me. On the contrary... I felt some pain in my elbow and I went to the doctor. The diagnose is a Lateral Epicondylitis (known as Tennis Elbow). I told him that I work with computers, and I play piano and tennis regularly. He smiled and said: "Oh, really? These are the three activities that can cause this injury... and you do all of them?".
So, I've stooped playing tennis, and I'm doing smaller piano sessions (max: 45 minutes) - I really can't stop playing piano... -. So, I've to do a treatment during the next 3 weeks to see if I get better.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2272254 - 05/07/14 08:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheryl,

Way to go! Conquering a troublesome piece is big, but feeling like you have taken a big step forward is huge.

I'm curious....what specifically do you think has changed or improved overall? I ask because with about the same learning timeline as you I have had similar feelings of having taken a big leap forward...yet I have trouble putting my finger on what exactly is so much better or even what specifically has led to that feeling.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2272262 - 05/07/14 08:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
wimpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
@Casinitaly, very nice. I can imagine it must give you quite a boost.
@CarlosCC be careful! And get well soon!
@JimF don't try to explain, just sit back enjoy the ride wink

@SandTiger I'm sure you will submit something wonderful. I ended up submitting my first recital entry a couple of minutes ago. Since I couldn't make a better recording up till now I just submitted the "practice recording" I posted earlier in this thread. I might change it before the 15th or I'll keep it this way. It feels a bit like the Olympics. The most important part is to take part, not to win wink

Oh and my AOTW, as just mentioned I submitted my recording for the recital.

Edited by wimpiano (05/07/14 08:22 AM)

#2272265 - 05/07/14 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Carlos, sorry to hear about your tennis elbow. Hopefully will improve soon with some rest. Please see below re: my day...

My job is extraordinarily stressful at the moment (to wit: I couldn't sleep so got up at 3am yesterday to start work, then put in a 17 hour day), and I'm feeling very grumpy/snippy with everyone.

My work can be extremely complex, so I keep a minute by minute log so I can refer back and keep myself sane regarding current status and various technical aspects. An ellipsis ("...") indicates that I've taken a break of some sort. Sometimes I'll put a brief explanation thereafter, as in this instance yesterday morning:

Quote:
7:51 - ...needed some Einaudi via Carlos

It helped. A lot.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2272266 - 05/07/14 08:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Ron, yes indeed - but for the August recital at this point smile I've already done my piece for the May recital!

Carlos--- be really really careful - I hope you can heal quickly - you may want to see a teacher to understand if you have some tension issues you didn't really realize....I've been through similar problems and it is really awful to have to cut down on piano time!!!

Jim - I have to say that there are a couple of things that I've just really been able to focus on at different level.

One has certainly been slowing down. I'm playing so slowly that there could be a count of several seconds before I depress the Keys. What is happening here is that as I go through the piece I am playing it so that every note, (albeit at a snail's pace) is CORRECT - with the correct fingering, with repositioning coordinated. This way I'm not giving myself any opportunity to learn any wrong notes, and I have vastly improved my ability to be in the right place at the right time. (Before my movements were always slightly delayed).

The second is learning to breakdown difficult transitions into their segments and understand what I'm doing immediately rather than just plunge in and hack away.

And the third is improved focus repetitions - so starting just a few notes before a trouble spot and not playing much beyond it, focusing on "bridging" between 2 difficult spots. My concentration seems to be better.

Overall though, I'd have to say that the first point has been the most critical.

Two other things have helped - both comments from my teacher. One comment was (after some improvement) "You're not trying to just play your pieces "at any cost" , you're doing what you're supposed to be doing" -- -and the other was "There's no reason you can't do this". So when I'm tempted to try to rush the process I (literally) hear his voice inside my head telling not to rush, and that I can do it if I take the right approach.

My confidence levels are much higher as a result of the past few weeks too, and I think this is also a contributing factor!

#2272278 - 05/07/14 09:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok, thanks everybody. I'll be careful. Don't worry.

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Carlos, sorry to hear about your tennis elbow. Hopefully will improve soon with some rest. Please see below re: my day...
Quote:
7:51 - ...needed some Einaudi via Carlos

It helped. A lot.

And aTallGuyNH, be careful too. Stress is not good and you need to rest. Don't enter in a vicious cycle of working. That's not good. There isn't nothing more important than our sanity and health. Think about it.
I'm glade you like my Einaudi. Take a break, have positive thoughts.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2272286 - 05/07/14 09:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

One has certainly been slowing down(...)
The second is learning to breakdown difficult transitions into their segments and understand what I'm doing(...)
And the third is improved focus repetitions(...)

Two other things have helped - both comments from my teacher. One comment was (after some improvement) "You're not trying to just play your pieces "at any cost" , you're doing what you're supposed to be doing" -- -and the other was "There's no reason you can't do this". So when I'm tempted to try to rush the process I (literally) hear his voice inside my head telling not to rush, and that I can do it if I take the right approach.

My confidence levels are much higher as a result of the past few weeks too, and I think this is also a contributing factor!

Wow, great advises! Bravo.
I'm increasingly convinced that playing piano is mainly a cerebral workout. It all depends how we "see" the challenge before doing it.

I look forward to hearing you live at the EPP thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2272301 - 05/07/14 10:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Spent last two weeks learning Dr Gradus ad Parnassum and now I can't play any of my scott joplin because I neglected them during that time.
Now I'm trying to learn golliwog cakewalk. It is easier than I thought it would be.

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2272388 - 05/07/14 01:53 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: briansaddleback]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Cheryl - Congratulations on your breakthroughs. The ultra- slow playing is so hard to do, but it does pay off. I have to admit, I am not very consistent at it. I am realising that even after a piece is playable I need to return to it to confirm things. It sounds like you have a good handle on locking in the fingering and getting the preparation built in. That is great!

CarlosCC- I hope the tennis elbow heals quickly! That must be very frustrating to have to limit your playing time.

My AOTW is taking my exam scales from iffy at the beginning of the week to solid today. On Monday in my lesson I played them as my teacher called them out, and bombed more than a couple. It was a pretty serious wake up call, with my exam three weeks away. So, in the last 72 hours I have done a LOT of scales, and today, the scales were very consistent.

We talked about the fact that under pressure, you fall back on your training. If that training is inconsistent or haphazard, then you fall apart. So, consistent 100% accuracy in my pieces and scales is the only option for the next three weeks!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2272435 - 05/07/14 03:59 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
g8orballboy Offline

Loc: Virginia
I just got my new baby grand yesterday and was able to really sit down and play a piano for the first time in over a year. I haven't played consistently in over a decade. Muscle memory is a crazy thing. I still remembered a handful a pieces that came back to me after a couple attempts. Can't wait to start cleaning up some of my old pieces and learning some new ones. I just started learning Brian Crain's 'Water' last night. Its so fun to play again!

#2272949 - 05/08/14 06:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cheryl
Jim - I have to say that there are a couple of things that I've just really been able to focus on at different level.

One has certainly been slowing down. I'm playing so slowly that there could be a count of several seconds before I depress the Keys. What is happening here is that as I go through the piece I am playing it so that every note, (albeit at a snail's pace) is CORRECT - with the correct fingering, with repositioning coordinated. This way I'm not giving myself any opportunity to learn any wrong notes, and I have vastly improved my ability to be in the right place at the right time. (Before my movements were always slightly delayed).

The second is learning to breakdown difficult transitions into their segments and understand what I'm doing immediately rather than just plunge in and hack away.

And the third is improved focus repetitions - so starting just a few notes before a trouble spot and not playing much beyond it, focusing on "bridging" between 2 difficult spots. My concentration seems to be better.

Overall though, I'd have to say that the first point has been the most critical.

Thanks for the expanded commentary, C. Indeed, I can track some of my own footprints in your excellent explanation. A few weeks back my teacher said "you came in here the last two weeks with a new piece for which you have not missed a note in two weeks...this is hard enough with most pieces, but even harder with this one where there is more movement...how do you account for the difference? I told her it was because I decided beforehand to learn it in smaller sections and even slower than usual, regardless of how long it took, until I could play that section with ease and error free. Only then could I move to the next phrase or section. So, slow and focused has worked for me too

I really like what you said about knowing you can do it, especially if you use the right approach. For me, I also have to add in that there is NO deadline, and no reason to artificially assume something SHOULD be "done" by next lesson. Just do my work, keep my head in the music, and it will be done in its own time.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2273083 - 05/09/14 02:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
N17 Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
Carlos- Injuries with muscles/tendons are so tricky and frustrating. Get well soon.

Casinitaly- Reading more about your process of slowing everything down and the results coming from it make me motivated to be more diligent about slow practice.

Jim- Same to you with breaking the pieces in smaller section. My practice habits are improving as I play more and progress but at times I just jump right into a whole piece.

Wimpiano- Looking forward to hearing your (and everyone's) recital piece!

g8orbalboy- Congratulations on the new piano!

TallGuy- I hope the work stress goes down while sleep goes up in the very near future.

I submitted a piece to the recital earlier today. My first recital and second recording overall. Also, this week is the last for the recent Coursera on developing musicianship. As others have said, the material was somewhat basic, even for my very limited knowledge. But the ear training practice was helpful. It was free and I'm happy I had the discipline to complete the assignments on time.

Schedule conflicts have meant my lesson this past week had to be postponed. Hopefully not for too long and I'll have another AOTW in the future. As always, it's been great catching up on everyone's achievements.

COYS

#2273346 - 05/09/14 05:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Carlos - it has taken me a long time to really understand the message of "play slowly"... but now that I've got it, I think it is locked in smile
I'm really looking forward to playing/meeting everyone/playing duets/listenting to everyone at the EPP!

Briansaddleback: sometimes it is hard to keep all the pieces we want at the level we'd like. These things are cyclical. The good news is that as you make progress with your skills you will find it easier to brush up a previous piece!

SwissMs - sounds like you made some really concrete and solid progress this week! Your exam date is fast approaching, and it looks like you're going to be in splendid shape for it!

g8torballboy, congratulations on your new piano! How exciting! What a blast you're going to have getting back into this wonderful activity of piano playing!

Jim, I agree with you - it is making that concious decision to commit to the right approach that makes the difference. - And understanding that it takes the time that it takes, ---deadlines don't help us. Maybe they work for younger learners, but I'm not a fan of deadlines in any context. What I am finding exciting though is that with this dedication to the approach (which my teacher has been trying to get me to use for almost 2 years) I'm actually seeing that overall progress in the last 4-5 pieces I've taken up has been faster. The initial start up is at a dead crawl, but it doesn't take very long before I can start building up some speed.
It is really tremendous fun.

N17 - congrats on getting a submission in for the recital - I hope your live settles down so you can get back to your regular lessons!

#2273358 - 05/09/14 05:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
briansaddleback Offline

Loc: Irvine CA
Yeah it is really weird. You have a joplin pieces that sort of goes "Jaunty jaunty, Jaunty jaunty !" under your fingers, and after two weeks of absence the pieces go "fluub-flub, fluub fluba ,flub"

Depressing. But I agree it should not take too long to get the accuracy back

But would like to have all pieces I know in a playable order any time anywhere

I have more appreciation for performers at cafes and such as they got to have all pieces ready at hand for hour or two

Edited by briansaddleback (05/09/14 05:46 PM)

Cloches a travers les feuilles
Minstrels

#2273443 - 05/09/14 08:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Online   content

Loc: Midwest USA
TallGuy--I hope you can step back from the intense work schedule now and then to recuperate. Those long days--you don't get those hours back, they don't get added onto your lifespan.

Carlos, heal fast! I dodged a bullet the other day. Husband and I were out hiking in the woods and I had to climb over a downed tree across the trail. As I brought my other leg over, my feet slipped on loose bark on the ground and down I went! I have a huge bruise on my thigh, a scrape the size of a small cornfield on my knee, and a smaller scrape at the base of my hand. But no finger damage! I can play piano!

SwissMs, I use the envelope trick when I practice my scales, too. It's good to mix up the order so you don't rely on the order. Best wishes for your exam. You are so very purposeful and focused in you piano efforts--my hat is off to you!

Malkin, you daughter's wedding. Awwww! (Any tears, or did you do a Yes! followed by a fist pump?)

CAS, way to go--finding those stepping stones to get you onto the next level--more power to you. (P.S. I'm typing this VERY SLOWLY. :))

My AOTW is finishing up my first semester of piano lessons. I will be back with the same teacher next fall. Meanwhile, starting Saturday, I'm taking lessons over the summer with another teacher at the college. This teacher performs professionally. I'm trying not to feel intimidated about that. The lessons are an hour long, so that will be different.

As for my first semester of lessons, it's been a positive experience. The teacher said we moved quite fast, and we did. The biggest "new" thing for me was learning the major scales, arpeggios, chord progressions, etc., all things I hadn't done when self teaching. My teacher was very patient and encouraging in the face of my many screw-ups. And in spite of my many screw-ups, I never once said, "I played this a lot better at home." I thought it many a time, but never said it. smile

#2273643 - 05/10/14 12:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Online   content

Loc: Midwest USA
I just got back from my first lesson with my summer teacher. I played a major scale, hands together, and Sonata Aria (Scarlatti).

Wow. A totally different approach from my other teacher, and, frankly, one more in line with what I'm after in lessons. She didn't let me get away with anything. We spent the hour (hour plus) on fundamentals like relaxation, arm weight, working on Bar Line Disease, which I have in spades.

This is going to be interesting!

#2273668 - 05/10/14 01:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
CarlosCC and TallguyinNH, both of you take care of your bodies (and spirits).

CasinItaly, that is great news on getting positive feedback from the teacher.

SwissMS, I admire your dedication and methodical approach.

Stubbie, congrats on the first mile marker for lessons. Sounds like you are learning and enjoying the process.

G8orballboy, welcome to the thread. Congrats on the piano. If you want to share a recording there is the monthly piano bar, the Ecco Fatto thread for first time uploaders, and the quarterly recital.

Oddsox, welcome to you. Small steps are how almost all of us beginners make progress, and what this thread is mostly about.

N17, way to jump right in. Recording and uploading is one of the best ways for beginners to improve.

BrianSaddleback, I aim for 20% of my practice time on old pieces, though it seems to have become more than that. Then again I perform live fairly often and want to have much more repertoire than other beginners. I am so poor with sheet music, that reading is not a good option when I play live.

I'm sure I missed some others, but I did read them all.

Week 113: I record some takes of my pancake song and upload. I look for the lyrics, and to my dismay all I find are various exercises, many of which do not match the music. So I still have to actually add more and stitch the lyrics together.

The pancake song came out of the Coursera on songwriting offered earlier in the year. The students worked on one song for three weeks and then were told to start a new song for the final project. Pancakes was my early song and is catchier than my final project.

Have a good week everyone.

Edited by Sand Tiger (05/10/14 10:31 PM)

Page 217 of 246 < 1 2 ... 215 216 217 218 219 ... 245 246 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Whip those springs into shape
by A454.7
11/26/14 06:29 PM
New Yamaha CLP-545 or used CLP-270/280 ???
by Panpiano
11/26/14 06:28 PM
Wanted to say hi
by patty5sewing
11/26/14 05:43 PM
Price of Knabe WMV-121?
by blackjack1777
11/26/14 04:36 PM
Audiobox USB vs Audiobox 22VSL
by mitzysman
11/26/14 04:33 PM
Forum Stats
77062 Members
42 Forums
159381 Topics
2341231 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission