Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
107 registered (angga888, Anita Potter, ando, Adypiano, 36251, 30 invisible), 1291 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 188 of 250 < 1 2 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 249 250 >
Topic Options
#2183804 - 11/17/13 08:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
CarlosCC SUPERSTAR, that is so cool!

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
My AotW: I received a phone call from a national TV channel (www.tvi.iol.pt) because they are planning a serie of 10 episodes to tell the story of 10 "amateur musicians". They saw my video on YT and they want to do the second episode with me...

OMG, this is getting serious...
I accepted smile

Estonia L190 #7284

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2183815 - 11/17/13 09:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
CarlosCC....that is like the AOTW of all AOTWs! That's crazy wonderful! I hope we get to see that the episode online somewhere

#2183851 - 11/17/13 10:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Well done Carlos! yippie

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2183860 - 11/17/13 11:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
CarlosCC congratulations on another positive to your rising star. I am sure the TV viewers will enjoy the music, and the touching story about your mom, and her recent passing. Yours is a one-in-a-million piano beginner story, an adult with no teacher, playing as if you have been doing it all your life after only a very few years. I am glad to be able to hear about it and watch bits of it unfold.

Week 88: I go to Songmakers. I missed two meetings so it has been six months. I lead a sing-a-long of my recital piece A Thousand Years. I do much, much better than any previous attempts, though am still a bit shaky. I still lose my way at times. At one point, I falter and tell them to stop singing and let me catch up. I play my host's 1990 era Roland D20. Seven months of practice on a simple arrangement of a pop song likely helps me too.

I also play my prior recital piece Avenue D. That piece has come a long way since I submitted it three months ago. The ink was only a week dry in August. With three months of polish and practice, it is light years ahead of where it was. Some ask about the title. Like the music, sometimes the titles just come to me, and they often stick. For instrumentals, titles sometimes reveal something about the composer.

The hosts have a new dog, a very calm dog that they rescued. There is a visitor with a bag full of harmonicas. Not sure if he has 24 different for all the possible keys, but it looks like it.

My third piece is as a whistle tune that I struggle through because I haven't been playing that instrument. I wanted to try and practice in front of a crowd because I will be doing the same piece in two weeks in a more formal setting. It did not go well, I hope it goes better next time.

I talk to the host's wife about her piano lessons. She is using Alfred's Adult All-in-One book. She took a break for three months because of vacation and her mom being sick and her tending to her. The new dog likely does not help with any time crunch.

Have a good week everyone. I may skip next week's update. I am sure a lot of folks will drop off the forum and then come back in, because of the upcoming holidays.

#2183915 - 11/17/13 12:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I, for one, would love to hear an updated recording of Avenue D. It would be great to hear how it has come along!

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2183969 - 11/17/13 03:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
My AotW: I received a phone call from a national TV channel (www.tvi.iol.pt) because they are planning a serie of 10 episodes to tell the story of 10 "amateur musicians". They saw my video on YT and they want to do the second episode with me...

I accepted smile

Thank you ALL for your words. I knew you would enjoy the news. smile

After I got the call I was in silent for some minutes thinking about the invitation... I have no idea how the episode will be done, but I will make a point of mentioning the PianoWorld community and all the friends I have here.

aTallGuyNH, SwissMS, and EdwardianPiano: Thanks! thumb

Jotur, Sam Rose, Ragdoll, and ElleC: Don't worry. I'll try to share the episode with my friends: YOU! Thanks!

tangleweeds: It's true. I never thought so much could happen so quickly. I do not know why, but I did not force anything... Things are just happening.

MaryBee: Yes, very exciting, indeed! Thanks!

casinitaly: C'mon, you know me. I prefer to be CarlosCC in PW than a "famous" guy in TV; that means nothing to me. You know that I'm just an amateur who enjoy playing piano. smile

JimF: I love your GIFTs! Look at my new signature! THANKS!

Sand Tiger: I'm sure there are TONS of adult beginners better than me - look at our recitals! -. I'm miles away of what some of PW members know about music, and what they can do with a piano. I'm a true beginner. I'm happy to be able to learn with PW members. Thank you.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2184151 - 11/17/13 08:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
aTallguyinNH, unfortunately, I don't have much time these days so a new recording of Avenue D isn't likely any time soon.

#2184159 - 11/17/13 08:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Ragdoll - a freshly tuned piano, compliments from the tuner and a hunt for a new teacher. I wish you all the best in your search.

Oh thank you cas. I may have to go on a wait list with one of them. That is if I decide to go with her. I'll post again if/when I find a teacher. Maybe before then if the interviews are erm, well, unique or oddly interesting. grin

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

#2184166 - 11/17/13 08:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
adultpianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Moving on to my third and final exam piece after having mastered the first two

#2184228 - 11/17/13 11:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Palmpirate Offline

Loc: B.C.Canada
Carlos, that is so wonderful. I can say I nearly met you one time in Portugal. Who knows maybe I'll come there to listen to you play next time!

#2184232 - 11/17/13 11:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Today, I really felt motivated to play the piano. I'm surprise I can still read notes after being on a 2 month hiatus and just working on old songs I already knew how to play. I picked up Burgmuller again and I decided to work on op 100, no 9 today. I really think the recent ABF recital gave me a good push. You guys are wonderful source of motivation.

#2184344 - 11/18/13 06:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
evamar Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Spanish living in UK

I accepted smile

Muitas felicitaƧƵes!!!

That's fantastic, CarlosCC. I just saw your video. Amazing playing, all the expressions and sensibility are there.

Self-taught and you play like this. Fantastic.

Can I ask what system have you followed, if any?

Edited by evamar (11/18/13 06:54 AM)

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

#2184394 - 11/18/13 09:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: adultpianist]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

That's great adultpianist. Which pieces are you doing for your exam?

#2184413 - 11/18/13 09:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: adultpianist]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: adultpianist

That's great! What are you working on?

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2184415 - 11/18/13 09:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: ElleC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ElleC
Today, I really felt motivated to play the piano. I'm surprise I can still read notes after being on a 2 month hiatus and just working on old songs I already knew how to play. I picked up Burgmuller again and I decided to work on op 100, no 9 today. I really think the recent ABF recital gave me a good push. You guys are wonderful source of motivation.

That's good Ellec. Do not waste the opportunity. thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2184607 - 11/18/13 03:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
Congratulations Carlos!!!

This is a really wonderful place, because achievements small and big are shared with us.
I can always find motivation here, even if do not contribute much.

MY AOTW is that now I have all the Mozart piece under my finger, under tempo but it's five pages long and my longest pieces were only 2 pages long. Now the fun begins!

#2184680 - 11/18/13 04:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I accepted smile

Palmpirate: Thanks! Btw, we're going to have a Piano Party next year in Lisbon (5/July). Do you want to come? smile

evamar: Obrigado, evamar! I'm sorry, but I don't have any special system... I don't know what to say about that. I like to play, that's it.

torquenale: thank you, torquenale thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2184682 - 11/18/13 04:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: torquenale]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: torquenale

MY AOTW is that now I have all the Mozart piece under my finger, under tempo but it's five pages long and my longest pieces were only 2 pages long. Now the fun begins!

Good news! Congratulations and have fun with your Mozart. Do you have any record of it...?

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2184699 - 11/18/13 05:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Adultpianist- good for you on the exams! That's a stress I choose not to tackle, but I admire those who take it on.

Palmpirate - it would be great if you joined us in Portugal!

Torquenale - congrats on the Mozart! That's got to be satisfying!

ElleC - looks like you're getting back up to speed very quickly (no surprise there!)

Carlos, my dear - I was just teasing!! I know you are taking this all with the right spirit!

#2184703 - 11/18/13 05:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Carlos, my dear - I was just teasing!! I know you are taking this all with the right spirit!

I knew you knew thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2184824 - 11/18/13 10:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Our new piano is home!

It is wonderful!!
I think I will tell my teacher that I need to start over with all of the beginning stuff about how fingers are supposed to touch the keys! The action is so different and my playing sounds completely random.

It is a whole new adventure.

#2184844 - 11/18/13 10:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Congratulations!

Cathy

#2184881 - 11/19/13 12:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Congrats on the new piano! A whole new world of sound and vibration to explore...

neglected piano blog

#2184921 - 11/19/13 03:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Congratulations malkin! What piano is it?

#2184986 - 11/19/13 08:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: sinophilia]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
It is a 168 Estonia!

I have been curious about Estonia for years, and have never seen or played one. Our dealer happened to have one, which we wouldn't have been able to afford, except for the generous full trade in we got on the Vogel. Brewer happened to fall in love with it in much the same way he fell for the Vogel.

Then we decided that it would be better to replace the floor before the piano's arrival, which all happened without a hitch. We scheduled some kitchen renovations too, but miscalculated the tile needed and so the kitchen is only half-a-kitchen right now.

#2184987 - 11/19/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Congratulations on your Estonia, malkin! Post some pictures when you get a chance. Enjoy!

My AOTW was getting my Mazurka posted for the Mazurka recital in the Pianist's Corner. I am pretty happy with it, though I know there are some things I could have done better. That is part of the learning process. This was really a fun piece to learn, with tricky rhythms and lots of contrast. Mazurka's seem musically challenging to me. Now on to the next project!

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2185002 - 11/19/13 08:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's great malkin! Good luck with your new Estonia thumb

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#2185016 - 11/19/13 09:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Our new piano is home! It is wonderful!!

Wonderful indeed malkin. Congratulations on your Estonia. I remember my joy when I got my Yamaha. Not the caliber of an Estonia of course but still a wonderful day. yippie

#2185047 - 11/19/13 10:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Half a kitchen, full grand piano - what more could you need?

Cathy

#2185170 - 11/19/13 02:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
torquenale Offline

Originally Posted By: torquenale

Good news! Congratulations and have fun with your Mozart. Do you have any record of it...?

I have two recordings, one from Mitsuko Uchida and one from Maria Joao Pires, the second being my favourite.
I should record myself also, just to keep a proof of where I am now, but unfortunately I'm not into recording. I tried last summer when a could play a Yamaha grand in complete loneliness and used my camera, but the results have been awful, especially because there were no dynamics in the records.

Page 188 of 250 < 1 2 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 249 250 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Veritune and rescaling
by kennyz
12/21/14 09:29 AM
Never thought it would end up at that instrument ...
by fatast
12/21/14 05:45 AM
Is Yelp reliable for evaluating piano stores?
by Le Chiffre
12/21/14 02:08 AM
Guide to Teaching
by Arghhh
12/21/14 12:39 AM
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160033 Topics
2350118 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission