Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 189 of 239 < 1 2 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 238 239 >
Topic Options
#2185301 - 11/19/13 05:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Congrats, Malkin. I'm sure you are going to get used to the Estonia very quickly....before too long you won't be able to even imagine playing on another instrument.

Is it a new 168 or "seasoned"? We want PICs!!

Estonia L190 #7284

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2185714 - 11/20/13 01:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Ragdoll is interviewing teachers … Malkin has a new piano … Carlos is going to be a TV star … adultpianist is making great progress with exam pieces … That’s why I love this thread: all sorts of exciting news. I don’t post here a lot but I do try to stop by every so often. It’s always good for a pick-me-up.

Today, I’ll join in with some good news: Yesterday, I surprised my teacher in the nicest possible way with the progress I’m making on Chopin’s Waltz in A Minor (posthumous)!

At our last lesson, two weeks ago, I’d told my teacher I wanted to play the waltz for her holiday “piano party” in December, and we both knew it would require a LOT of work. Considering my very inconsistent practice habits, the idea was a bit reckless – but, as I told my teacher, sometimes the best thing for me is a big challenge and a hard deadline. I was able to work up near all of the right hand for her yesterday. Not perfectly, of course – but we were both pretty darned thrilled with how much I’ve achieved so far. We spent the rest of the lesson sorting out few timing issues on the RH and then worked on the LH and discussed practicing, performance, etc.

FYI, the party will be a small affair as my teacher is semi-retired and teaches only a handful of students. She hosts a couple of lunches a year, and it’s about as low-pressure as any “public” performance can be.

Edited by piano_deb (11/20/13 01:13 PM)

#2185733 - 11/20/13 01:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: piano_deb]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: piano_deb
...At our last lesson, two weeks ago, I’d told my teacher I wanted to play the waltz for her holiday “piano party” in December, and we both knew it would require a LOT of work. Considering my very inconsistent practice habits, the idea was a bit reckless – but, as I told my teacher, sometimes the best thing for me is a big challenge and a hard deadline. I was able to work up near all of the right hand for her yesterday. Not perfectly, of course – but we were both pretty darned thrilled with how much I’ve achieved so far. We spent the rest of the lesson sorting out few timing issues on the RH and then worked on the LH and discussed practicing, performance, etc.

FYI, the party will be a small affair as my teacher is semi-retired and teaches only a handful of students. She hosts a couple of lunches a year, and it’s about as low-pressure as any “public” performance can be.

Congratulations on your progress with the Waltz. It is such a lovely piece. Piano parties are a great way to debut playing for others. I started piano parties for my teacher last year, and they have been a wonderful experience. The low key setting makes it a whole lot less intimidating that a formal recital. You meet other piano enthusiast and everyone is supportive. Like this forum!!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2185736 - 11/20/13 01:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Happy Birthday, piano_deb! Great news on your waltz.

I'm just the cheering section for the odd accomplishment here and there these days... I've got a lot of life to juggle these days and lack much of time or energy for accomplishments. But I can still say "Yay!" for my friends here.

neglected piano blog

#2185749 - 11/20/13 02:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: tangleweeds]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I missed the birthday cake! Happy Birthday, indeed piano_deb!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2185752 - 11/20/13 02:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
happy birthday piano_deb! and also congrats on your progress with the waltz...I'm currently working on the same piece. I'm hoping to get it to a decent level by December as well although I don't have the pressure of getting it "performance" ready by then. Good luck with practice and pls post your version on the piano bar when it's ready. Looking forward to hearing your interpretation.

#2185789 - 11/20/13 03:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

SwissMS and tangleweeds, thanks very much for the support and birthday wishes! My lesson yesterday was quite a nice gift to myself, I suppose. smile

ElleC, the great thing about piano parties is that a piece doesn't to be performance-ready, only "the thing I'm working on now." My teacher and I discussed a great many aspects yesterday, and I know that I won't be pedaling (hip problems and general lead-footedness), plus I'm only aiming for a tempo somewhere north of 50 bpm. While I have a ways to go, I will continue to prepare hard and do my best. I love the piece so much that I do intend to continue working on it well beyond December. It's the first piece I've worked on that I want to absolutely polish, and memorize, and make mine forever. smile

I want to hear yours also, so please post it when ready!

#2185806 - 11/20/13 03:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
happy birthday piano_deb!!!! thumb
And congratulations for your achievement with the waltz, and enjoy your party!

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2185809 - 11/20/13 04:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: piano_deb]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Ragdoll is interviewing teachers …

And the first went off into a ditch festooned with red flags the first 15 minutes. The guy was/is a real arrogant A$$hat. I'm surprised he can play piano what with those chip laden shoulders, to say nothing of teaching someone else. Not a chance!

Next one set for Saturday morning. smile

HAPPY BIRTHDAY piano_deb

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2185822 - 11/20/13 04:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida

Estonia L190 #7284

#2185941 - 11/20/13 09:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: jotur
Half a kitchen, full grand piano - what more could you need?

So true!
Thanks everyone for the grand wishes.
I do love to read all the accomplishments too! And birthdays! I'm planning on birthday mileage for the rest of my life with this piano!

As we slowly put the house back together, it is interesting to hear how every change affects the sound of the piano. Moving a chair here or there or hanging a couple pictures on the wall make a noticeable difference. The room is still quite acoustically live; it is half empty as much of our stuff is in the basement, the door to which is blocked by the refrigerator, which won't be moved until the kitchen floor is finished, which won't happen until the tile arrives, which won't happen until whenever it happens. But who can complain when there is such a piano in the house?!

#2185989 - 11/20/13 10:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:
Ragdoll is interviewing teachers …

And the first went off into a ditch festooned with red flags the first 15 minutes. The guy was/is a real arrogant A$$hat. I'm surprised he can play piano what with those chip laden shoulders, to say nothing of teaching someone else. Not a chance!

Next one set for Saturday morning. smile
Oh no. But I laughed at your description. Better to know now, rather finding out after you sign up with him. Better luck with the next interview.

And happy birthday to piano_deb!

malkin - sounds like things are a mess in the house, but you're keeping a good attitude about it all.

#2185993 - 11/20/13 10:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ragdoll--I found looking for a teacher to be surprisingly awful and it took me the better part of a year!
I took a few lessons from a guy who was fine, but not a good fit for me. Several people didn't return calls, and a couple others stated that they had a waiting list, but didn't offer to put me on it (I can take a hint!)

All's well that ends well though, so hang in there with the teacher auditions and you'll end up with the right one for you.

#2186034 - 11/21/13 12:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, my! More happy birthday wishes from Carlos and Ragdoll ... and a yummy looking cake. Thanks, JimF! That was a total surprise. smile

----

Oops, missed some posts ... Ragdoll, at least that teacher showed his true colors fast. Good luck on the next.

Malkin, MaryBee, thanks for the well wishes. And Malkin be sure to post photos of your Estonia (wow!) soon.

That's the thing about this thread. It's hard to keep up with all the news and updates. But very fun when I get to.

Edited by piano_deb (11/21/13 12:38 AM)

#2186048 - 11/21/13 01:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Malkin - congrats on the new piano and I hope the kitchen work gets wrapped up soon! (But at least you have a lovely distraction from the chaos). Looking forward to seeing pics!

Piano-deb - belated happy birthday - hope your day was great! I love that Waltz! I've been puttering about with it on my own for a while and hope to be able to play it sometime this coming year. Even at my wobbly stage it makes me happy to play that piece.
Have fun at the piano party!

Ragdoll - yikes! That doesn't sound like a nice experience at all. At least you found out right away and didn't have to waste time with him. Better luck with the next try!

My ATOW is that I can really see how much better I'm playing with my teacher this year. I can feel a new level of being in control, being able to recover while being watched. I have also pulled out the Christmas carols and it is really nice to see how much easier they are to play than last year. This is the third year I've had the book and it has been a bit of a benchmark from the start.

#2186128 - 11/21/13 06:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: malkin
Ragdoll--I found looking for a teacher to be surprisingly awful and it took me the better part of a year!
I took a few lessons from a guy who was fine, but not a good fit for me. Several people didn't return calls, and a couple others stated that they had a waiting list, but didn't offer to put me on it (I can take a hint!)

You found the perfect teacher eventually though?

Don't be too hard on the ones with a waiting list. It's GOOD that they have a full schedule, and don't anticipate many of their current students leaving in the near future. Would you prefer one who said "You're #10 on the waiting list, that should mean 3 or 4 weeks..."?

But is it possible that you came across as fussy, knowing EXACTLY how you were prepared to be taught..? :-)

#2186160 - 11/21/13 08:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My teacher is wonderful!

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
But is it possible that you came across as fussy, knowing EXACTLY how you were prepared to be taught..? :-)

More likely that I came across as an adult student with a random mishmash of piano background. Hardly ideal fodder, I gather.

#2186182 - 11/21/13 08:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks MaryBee. I'm looking forward to Saturday.
Quote:

@malkin Well I hope it doesn't take that long but I do know what I need/want in a teacher so whatever it takes. grin
Quote:
Ragdoll - yikes! That doesn't sound like a nice experience at all. At least you found out right away and didn't have to waste time with him. Better luck with the next try!

@cas Exactly I knew almost immediately. I've also received another potential candidate from my tech, so things are looking OK.
Quote:

@EW to malkin wink You say that like it's a bad thing. It's only right to get what you pay for; if a person knows what they want then why settle for less?

#2186222 - 11/21/13 09:56 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll

Quote:

@EW to malkin wink You say that like it's a bad thing. It's only right to get what you pay for; if a person knows what they want then why settle for less?

Indeed.
I don't presume to tell my teacher what to teach me -but the "how" of teaching is certainly an important factor.

Sometimes a teacher's choice of method teaching doesn't match a student's method of learning. A good teacher will adapt to work with the student and approach the subject from different angles (in fact teachers are TAUGHT how to do just that). The thing is that many teachers get locked into their pattern and won't look at any divergence from their "norm" or "standard" regardless of how well it is (or isn't) working for the student.

I stopped working with an Italian teacher because her approach was completely unsuited to my learning style and she drove me crazy! She may have been a great teacher - but not for me!

Fortunately I haven't had this sort of problem with my piano teachers!

#2186256 - 11/21/13 10:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Well, several people here at the ABF have made me laugh this week, some in this thread and some in others. The ABF is great smile

Cathy

#2186302 - 11/21/13 12:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ragdoll, like you, I'd worked for a while with an unsuitable teacher. In fact, this may even top your experience: In addition to being rather disorganized and scattershot in her approach, she was teaching out her ex's house without telling me that she didn't actually live there anymore. I found out the day she didn't show up for my lesson and I made the mistake of ringing the doorbell: The ex answered and started screaming at me for being there. Apparently, she didn't actually own the Kimball piano we'd been using, either; when she moved in with a new roommate, we ended up using an ancient thing, about 100 years old, shot to heck, not tuned in memory, with a couple of dead keys and missing keytops.

It's almost funny now, but ... oh, golly!

Fyi, if you haven't done so yet, do ask your piano tech for teacher recommendations. Many techs are accomplished musicians, and they know which teachers take care of their pianos. That's how I found my wonderful teacher. My requirements were to find a teacher who could provide a fundamental/traditional musical education, focusing on classical music and including theory, who was experienced teaching adults, and who had a well maintained instrument. Over time, I have learned to trust my teacher to teach me (instead of thinking I knew what I needed to learn next), and we've both been flexible about what pieces to work on, books to use, etc. She's also learned that I am a terrible student with bad/nonexistent practice habits and a tendancy to want to move on to the next piece before I'm ready. :p

Cas, congrats on recognizing your year-to-year progress! I'm sure you've been making headway all along -- but *seeing* it can be a different matter. smile I'm curious about your continued work with the same Christmas carol arrangements. What book are you using?

Edited by piano_deb (11/21/13 12:35 PM)
Edit Reason: balsted tyops!

#2186310 - 11/21/13 12:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ragdoll, my bad! I confused your search for a teacher with a thread by shaolin95, who'd had a bad teacher with a bad piano. You probably wondered why I was telling you my crazy former teacher story ... *facepalm*

#2186317 - 11/21/13 12:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: piano_deb]

Cas, congrats on recognizing your year-to-year progress! I'm sure you've been making headway all along -- but *seeing* it can be a different matter. smile I'm curious about your continued work with the same Christmas carol arrangements. What book are you using?

I am using the Joy of Christmas (Agay) book. I was overly optimistic when I bought it.

Your story about the teacher using her ex's home is both funny and outrageous.

#2186325 - 11/21/13 01:00 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

My AOTW is that I started messing around with Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" and learned the intro (just two measures) and ending (4 measures).

1) Gave myself chills (well, Mabel & Mr. Collins did 99.9% of the work)

2) Played it for my wife and she got really excited: "Oooooh! I loooove that song!", and started singing the lyrics.

She actually liked something I want to play! Yay!

Now I just need to figure out how to accommodate my vocal limitations.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2186327 - 11/21/13 01:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: piano_deb]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

...she was teaching out her ex's house without telling me that she didn't actually live there anymore....

Hold on... do you mean, she was sneaking in there with you? She still had a key (or jimmied the window, or who-knows-what) and scheduled you for a time when he would be at work or otherwise (hopefully) not around?!?

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2186451 - 11/21/13 04:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I am using the Joy of Christmas (Agay) book. I was overly optimistic when I bought it.

I really like Agay’s piano solo books, so I’ll definitely be looking to get the Joy of Christmas. It doesn’t surprise me you’re taking some time to get through it. It's actually bigger than his skinny little “Intro Classics to Moderns” text that I may never get all the way through.

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
...she was teaching out her ex's house without telling me that she didn't actually live there anymore....

Hold on... do you mean, she was sneaking in there with you? She still had a key (or jimmied the window, or who-knows-what) and scheduled you for a time when he would be at work or otherwise (hopefully) not around?!?

I suppose they had some kind of agreement? She acted like it was her house -- was there ready for me to arrive, front door open -- until the day I woke up the ex by ringing the doorbell, etc. As I recall, I balked at meeting her at that house again, so she switched to the roommate's condo, but the sad-sack piano did me in. I did feel rather sorry for her. It seemed her life has just tanked and she was trying to get back on her newly single feet, but, well, obviously it was an unworkable situation.

She was the second teacher I'd tried. The first was a Russian lady in Chicago who talked to me like I was four years old and used a text that would have suited me if I had been. Apparently, she didn't understand the question "Do you teach adult students?" meant that I was looking for a teacher who was used to teaching adults. :p

Thankfully, the third time was the charm, and I finally met my wonderful, wonderful *real* teacher. I'm sticking to her like glue!

Edited by piano_deb (11/21/13 04:29 PM)

#2186542 - 11/21/13 08:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My teacher is a DMA student at the U. He's having another recital this weekend and I am really excited to go.

A good teacher is a treasure. Of course they need good teaching chops, but communication, personality, sense of humor and patience in the right proportions are important.

#2186661 - 11/22/13 01:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

@pianodeb --- It isn't only that it is a biggish book, but that I have only really "studied" a couple of pieces. In effect I just sit down and try to play them. The first year it was almost hopeless. The second year it was better. This year it's going really well. My favourite piece is Oh Holy Night, but there is a huge selection - included a few Italian carols, and some I've never seen.There's an interesting arrangement of "Il est ne le divin enfant" by Agay which I have been dabbling with and find quite charming.

Tonight we have an "Adventure" of the week! - We're going into Milan for a concert.
Argerich and Kremer. The program is Mieczysław Weinberg Sonata 3 op. 126 violin solo, Sonata n. 5 op. 53 for violin and piano, plus Beethoven : Sonata in G major op. 30 and Sonata in G major op. 96.
AND....we'll meet Sinophillia smile

#2186810 - 11/22/13 10:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

@malkin
Quote:
A good teacher is a treasure. Of course they need good teaching chops, but communication, personality, sense of humor and patience in the right proportions are important.

+1 thumb

Edited by Ragdoll (11/22/13 10:14 AM)

#2186813 - 11/22/13 10:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Tonight we have an "Adventure" of the week! - We're going into Milan for a concert.
Argerich and Kremer. The program is Mieczysław Weinberg Sonata 3 op. 126 violin solo, Sonata n. 5 op. 53 for violin and piano, plus Beethoven : Sonata in G major op. 30 and Sonata in G major op. 96.
AND....we'll meet Sinophillia smile

How nice for you, both the concert and meeting a fellow PW member. Not familiar with this opus but will look for it on YouTube for a listen. smile

Page 189 of 239 < 1 2 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 238 239 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Still having problems with my Kawai ES7
by musicman100
10/30/14 10:46 AM
Did Bachs wife write his finest works?
by CarlosCC
10/30/14 09:24 AM
Szanto Bach Prelude Fugue A minor
by bkthugs10214
10/30/14 09:13 AM
Steinway officially relocates flagship store.
by Jonathan Baker
10/30/14 09:00 AM
Advice please
by Ems' Mum
10/30/14 05:14 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (Alexander Borro, Alan_Dublin, ajames, Alan T., accordeur, 38 invisible), 1559 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76702 Members
42 Forums
158616 Topics
2329496 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission