Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 85 of 238 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1907887 - 06/03/12 10:34 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryAnn]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
I started using dynamics after a few weeks of lessons ... I used a high liter to mark them so that I wouldn't ignore them ... using the pedal took a few months to incorporate into practice ... I'm on my tenth month of lessons now ...

Best Wishes

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1907892 - 06/03/12 10:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
MaryAnn - Everyone goes through the same learning curve. BTW, i think you would love pedaling. Nothing like late night piano with good pedaling after a few glasses of wine.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1907900 - 06/03/12 11:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
My teacher tried to get me to use the right pedal during an early lesson, and I balked. I couldn't get my brain to tell two hands what to do, much less two hands and a foot. haha

Wow, KeysAngler. Were you an absolute beginner? I feel like I'm way behind now!

(I'm in my 10th month of lessons, too)

Edited by MaryAnn (06/03/12 11:02 PM)

#1907919 - 06/04/12 12:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
My "achievement" this week is kinda sad. I sold my Yamaha CP300 today, and the guys (there were three) wanted to hear me play some Chopin during the pre-sale visit. I automatically got pretty nervous, but I played and it wasn't too bad.

However, I found that certain pieces I have not been playing enough are starting to fade from muscle memory (Nocturne in C sharp minor and the middle section of Fantaisie Impromptu). I realized also that these parts were memorized almost completely with muscle memory, which is the reason I failed when I tried to play them. The good news is that recently my reading has been improving to the point that I can kinda-sorta "read" phrases instead of sounding out each letter (note). So it won't be too difficult to go back and do what I have to do, which is memorize the score and not just the motions for those parts that I'm forgetting. I realized that all the sections that I was able to play well are the ones which I have a visual image in my mind of either the score or the keys on the piano that need to be played (or both).
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#1907928 - 06/04/12 12:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryAnn]
KeysAngler Offline

Loc: The Fabulous Florida Keys
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
Wow, KeysAngler. Were you an absolute beginner? I feel like I'm way behind now!

(I'm in my 10th month of lessons, too)

Yes, absolute beginner. I practice two or three hours daily. In twenty to forty minute segments.

As long as you're having fun learning that's what really matters. Unless you have plans to perform for $$$$

Best Wishes

#1907963 - 06/04/12 03:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
SwissMS, I can picture what you're doing, and can imagine the look on your husband's face smile
I've had (and to some extent still have!) the same problem with not reading ahead and not moving my hands into position quickly enough. I've seen a big change over the past couple of months, but I know I've still got lots of room for improvement. This is going to become more and more important as pieces get more and more interesting/complicated!

Sand Tiger, are you doing any PT for your hands? Have you had any feedback on what you might be doing that could be causing the pain? Wearing the gloves might help with the symptoms but doesn't get to the root of the problem. You're very early in your piano journey, this would be the time to be sure you're not creating long-term problems for yourself. (Sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing - I just know from experience that not getting to the root of the matter leads to not being able to play much and is very lowering when all you want to do is be making progress).

FarmGirl - how wonderful you are going to get in touch with your former teacher - I bet she will be delighted to catch up with your news, and to see how much progress you've made. I'm also glad you're playing something you are more comfortable with !!! After the angst of playing the Rach, it seems something more approachable is just the ticket!
(I have no feedback on your doggie situation - I know next to nothing about dogs, except that sometimes they do chew furniture. My sister sprayed her furniture with something the dog didn't like to stop it from chewing, that seemed to work).

MaryAnn - I think (based on my own experience smile ) that it isn't surprising you haven't really noticed the dynamics. I had a history of reading music, so I certainly know what I'm seeing , but I have found that yes, indeed, I was totally oblivious to dynamics for a long time. Until very recently I would learn the piece and then say "Ah....maybe I should look at these indications now". At this point in my piano journey I'm trying to play the dynamics as I learn the pieces. It is also very very common to find that as soon as you add in ANY new dimension to your playing, it all falls apart. You'll find that as time goes by that will happen less and less - don't let it discourage you.

I had terrible resistance to using the pedal. My teacher tried from about the start of our 3rd month of lessons to get me to use the pedal and I resisted. She didn't insist. Then when I'd been playing about 10 months I got my acoustic and it took me a long time to get used to the change from the dp to the acoustic - and not only did I continue to resist the pedal, I couldn't bring myself to play much more than mp !
It wasn't until this February, when I started working on the Chopin AmWaltz (posthumous) that I started using the pedal and now I can't seem to stop! lol..... We all have different "schedules" and we're ready to try things at different times. Don't let yourself feel you are "behind" other Adult beginners - that's just a waste of energy.
(Ok, sometimes I feel that way too,but I try to kick myself in the pants and get over it asap! smile )

KeysAngler, I practice in segments like that too. I find that if I work in a very focussed way for 15 minutes then I may even stop at that point and come back after a short break. Sometimes on the weekend I will play for longer, but that is "playing" not "practicing" and if I'm not studying I find I can just have fun and play for about an hour at a time sometimes more. Then my hands are tired and I have to stop smile

Sam - sounds like you've made a breakthrough with understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your learning style. How are you working on your reading? I know what you love to play ,but to facilitate your improvement you could work at reading lots and lots of much easier material.

I was given a couple of huge books - over 200 pages each, with "Easy Piano" --- one is a mix of many genres, the other is favourite classics (by which I mean what is usually classified as "classical" even though it might be from the baroque, classic or romantic periods). When I started piano, I could read treble clef quite well, no problems there - but I did have trouble with the bass clef as I'd never used it before - I also had some difficulties with the ledger notes (for those who don't know this term, they are the individual notes that go above or below the five-lined staff). I could read the lower ledger notes in the treble clef easily because I had played bass clarinet in highschool and most of my notes were down there! but the higher ones were tricky, and working above or below the bass clef made my brain hurt!

When I got the books I found it a bit tricky to read both treble and bass - now I find I can do fairly well, much less hesitation, much smoother (and it isn't as though I've "learned" the pieces- there are hundreds of them and I look at them as sight-reading practice, (even if they are not true "prima vista" they are close enough for my purposes).

Oh, I'm rattling on a lot today!
My ATOW last week was a) to not get too upset when my teacher had to cancel and b) to finish memorizing my Papa Mozart piece. I played with my eyes shut and it was very interesting both for working out hand positions and for truly hearing my weak areas and errors.

Let's see what this week brings!

#1907987 - 06/04/12 04:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Sam - sounds like you've made a breakthrough with understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your learning style. How are you working on your reading? I know what you love to play ,but to facilitate your improvement you could work at reading lots and lots of much easier material.

I was given a couple of huge books - over 200 pages each, with "Easy Piano" --- one is a mix of many genres, the other is favourite classics (by which I mean what is usually classified as "classical" even though it might be from the baroque, classic or romantic periods). When I started piano, I could read treble clef quite well, no problems there - but I did have trouble with the bass clef as I'd never used it before - I also had some difficulties with the ledger notes (for those who don't know this term, they are the individual notes that go above or below the five-lined staff). I could read the lower ledger notes in the treble clef easily because I had played bass clarinet in highschool and most of my notes were down there! but the higher ones were tricky, and working above or below the bass clef made my brain hurt!

When I got the books I found it a bit tricky to read both treble and bass - now I find I can do fairly well, much less hesitation, much smoother (and it isn't as though I've "learned" the pieces- there are hundreds of them and I look at them as sight-reading practice, (even if they are not true "prima vista" they are close enough for my purposes).

I did buy some sight reading exercise books, but I admit to barely ever using them frown

Mainly the improvement has just come from working on my pieces. Once in a rare while I'd open up my Chopin Ballades book and just try playing (veeerryyy slooooowly) with one hand. I think given the amount of progress I've made studying reading the wrong way, I'll make very significant progress with it if I study it the right way (namely reading simple material, both hands together, as much as possible).

What is the name of the book you've been using? I'd like to buy some books like that when I go home and have the grand piano to practice on. I also need to start learning theory so I have an easier time reading chords and other patterns off the page.

I really want to shoot for the Ballade next recital, but I'm afraid I won't have enough time, and I'd rather make it really good then just kind of get through it. If it doesn't work out, maybe I'll do another movie theme, or a surprise Chopin piece which isn't so hard (but I'm not telling you what it is!) laugh laugh
♪ > $

#1907989 - 06/04/12 05:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Hi Sam,
the books I was given are
1 Easiest Book Of Piano Classics, Amsco Publications ISBN 0.8256.1596.8
the UK has a different ISBN. It has 150 piece - some of them are simplified pieces some are original but very simple.

2. Easiest book of Piano Favourites Amsco Publications ISBN 0.8256.1761.8 - it has 125 pieces, likewise some are simplified some are just simple smile

I'm looking forward to hearing your Ballade, and I understand that you won't present it til you are satisfied you can play it well. That's how I feel about my Chopin Waltz ....I'm hoping that it will be presentable for November - I know it won't be up to the standard I'm aiming for in August (expecially since I'll have to record early as I'll be travelling in August!).

I'm curious about your surprise, but that's ok... I like surprises and will wait and see smile

#1908062 - 06/04/12 08:42 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
Thanks so much for your thoughtful response, casinitaly! I know in my head i shouldn't worry too much--my teacher just introduced the dynamics now which probably means she just now thinks I'm ready. I try not to let others' journeys worry me, but instead inspire me. But I start letting expectations creep in...

We have so much to look forward to in the next recital or two! I still haven't listened to all of the last one!

I also don't know about dog troubles. Getting my kitties spayed stopped them from yowling so much. They still find plenty of trouble to get into (like knocking over and smashing a full bottle of red wine in the middle of the night a few weeks ago)!

#1908079 - 06/04/12 09:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm jealous of all you folks that are reluctant to use the pedal ... my damper pedal seldom leaves the floor! wink

OK, so that's a slight exaggeration, but my teacher's number one or two or three, can't remember wink , comment is "less pedal" - ironic because she uses it is massive doses but it always sounds fantastic. She probably doesn't mean less, just better!!

Kawai K3

#1908088 - 06/04/12 09:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
FarmGirl - I don't know if neutering will cure your doggy chewing problem. I have raised several high energy dogs (dobermanns) and it wasn't a hormone problem so much as excess energy and a teething problem. Neither the males nor the females stopped chewing until they were two years old! I used a spray product called bitter apple that taught them what was chewable and what was not. Before that, I lost banister railings, chair legs, and lots of shoes! I became very good at sanding down and repainting. Sorry to hear about your piano bench!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#1908138 - 06/04/12 10:58 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
FarmGirl - I don't know if neutering will cure your doggy chewing problem. I have raised several high energy dogs (dobermanns) and it wasn't a hormone problem so much as excess energy and a teething problem. Neither the males nor the females stopped chewing until they were two years old! I used a spray product called bitter apple that taught them what was chewable and what was not. Before that, I lost banister railings, chair legs, and lots of shoes! I became very good at sanding down and repainting. Sorry to hear about your piano bench!

That's not encouraging... Geez 1 year and 3 months more! He is barely 7 months old. I guess I have to keep them in the confinement when I practice. His sister Emma (also Golden) has been a very good girl and did not chew anything else except chew bones.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1908242 - 06/04/12 01:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
FarmGirl,

Sorry to hear about your mangled piano bench. I feel your pain.

I have had four lab retrievers and all four went through the destructive chewing-stuff phase. The current pair just turned three years old and have not chewed anything (significant) for at least a year. Before that, however, was a different story.... victims included 3 cherry dining chairs, a wooden rocker that no longer rocks, assorted mouldings, baseboard, and even drywall.

We tried just about everything in terms of the commercial products and stuff you read about. None worked. The only thing that really took hold was catching them doing something and then giving them a really good tongue-lashing followed by putting the offender somewhere separate where they couldn't be with the rest of the "pack" for a while. As you probably know, this kind of timeout is very effective discipline, moreso when you have multiple animals. We also keep a very full box of chewy, squeaky toys around at all times.

When I got my piano I didn't wait for a chew-event to happen. As soon as one so much as looked at the piano I went off on him to set an example. They've never touched the piano or bench and now seem to have outgrown that phase all together.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1908258 - 06/04/12 02:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryAnn]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: MaryAnn
I'm a little surprised at myself for over looking all the marks (p, mf, crescendo, etc) for so long. It's like i just don't see them. Is this normal for a beginner struggling just to hit the right notes?
You were way ahead of me, MaryAnn. This is embarrassing to admit, but I think it took me about 40 years to see them! Self-teaching, I learned to read notes and use the pedal, but I had never even thought about incorporating dynamics into my playing. Then I finally started lessons, and a week or two later, my teacher pointed out the dynamic markings, suggesting that I try to observe them. laugh How could I have been blind to them all that time?!

#1908385 - 06/04/12 06:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
I finally started getting to grips with a short Frescobaldi (early Baroque) piece. Hmm, looks so easy, feels so difficult, or rather odd. And I was wondering why that was. Perhaps because the sequences of notes sometimes feel alien. The sequences of chords too. Not many bar lines, which seem to come in at varying intervals...

Then I went away and listened to some recordings and found that what people play is not quite what is on the page. Rather, the sheet music is an idea for what might be played. Which felt kind of liberating.

#1908471 - 06/04/12 09:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

For some reasons I got composition bug and composed a short one. It's called welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I could not find way to put words to it. Words goes like: "Welcome to the forum, you come to the right place, tell us about you, your music, piano, I know you have, music deep in your heart. let us welcome you, welcome you, let the music begin"

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ed379f3cb2026e226b3563893850dcd16251c375

I also did not bother to add so much of left hand. I thought it sounded better on my piano. but yes, the computer plays it for you. It's a free software. I still have to figure out how to print it.

#1908473 - 06/04/12 09:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
FarmGirl Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
FarmGirl,

Sorry to hear about your mangled piano bench. I feel your pain.

I have had four lab retrievers and all four went through the destructive chewing-stuff phase. The current pair just turned three years old and have not chewed anything (significant) for at least a year. Before that, however, was a different story.... victims included 3 cherry dining chairs, a wooden rocker that no longer rocks, assorted mouldings, baseboard, and even drywall.

We tried just about everything in terms of the commercial products and stuff you read about. None worked. The only thing that really took hold was catching them doing something and then giving them a really good tongue-lashing followed by putting the offender somewhere separate where they couldn't be with the rest of the "pack" for a while. As you probably know, this kind of timeout is very effective discipline, moreso when you have multiple animals. We also keep a very full box of chewy, squeaky toys around at all times.

When I got my piano I didn't wait for a chew-event to happen. As soon as one so much as looked at the piano I went off on him to set an example. They've never touched the piano or bench and now seem to have outgrown that phase all together.

He is in a caged area now when I am playing. The problem is that he is so cute. He looked like moping all night. so I forgave him. I will just have to be careful, I guess. Thank you for your advice. It calmed me down.

#1908492 - 06/04/12 10:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
For some reasons I got composition bug and composed a short one. It's called welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I could not find way to put words to it. Words goes like: "Welcome to the forum, you come to the right place, tell us about you, your music, piano, I know you have, music deep in your heart. let us welcome you, welcome you, let the music begin"

http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/ed379f3cb2026e226b3563893850dcd16251c375
Darn, it's asking me to sign in. frown Do I have to get an account to hear it?

#1908496 - 06/04/12 10:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

That's too bad. I made it sharable to everyone... I will try to take a screen shot..

#1908562 - 06/05/12 01:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
John Dickinson Offline

Loc: California, USA
I made it through my Guild exam with high marks, nice praise, and a useful discussion on memorization with the judge. Second year of that . . . tough go to memorize four pieces (Scarlatti Dm Sonata, Beethoven G Sonata No2, Satie Gnossienne No3, Lennon/McCartney Norwegian Wood). but well worth the effort!

John Dickinson

#1908582 - 06/05/12 02:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

MaryBee, With great difficulty, i took screen shot of the composition and posted it to June piano bar. BTW, how do you provide a link to your post or anyone's post. I sometimes see people do that but I could not figure out. I am very bad at figuring out these things.. Maybe i should stick to pencils.

#1909082 - 06/05/12 10:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's an interesting little composition FarmGirl. It seems to go through several key changes in a very short time.

John, congratulations on your exam results! I just finished up learning three of the Gnossiennes. Those are fun.

Eglantine, you are learning music from some composers I've never heard of before: Frescobaldi, Froberger, Croft, Blow. So I looked up some info on each of them and am listening to some of their music right now. Are you playing these on piano or harpsichord?

#1909167 - 06/06/12 02:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

MaryBee, thanks. it is actually a song to welcome people to the forum.. I had words to go with it but could not figure out how to put it in. But the real finding is that, its far easier to do it on computer. I may have to pay real money to obtain a good one. It beats pencils and eraser. I like pieces with modulations but hey, this is just my first experiment.

Eglantine, I am jealous, i am so interested in Harpsichord too. I cannot afford it right now but I love the sound. It gave chill to my spine.

#1909180 - 06/06/12 04:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've been very disheartened lately at the idea of never being able to play anything perfectly. I know in my heart that, at least with my current attitude, there is simply no way I will ever be able to play a piece of music perfectly, especially when I really try to put myself into it.

Well, I ran into a quote from Vladimir Horowitz that will help me change my perspective, and I thought it was so powerful that it was worth sharing.

“I must tell you I take terrible risks. Because my playing is very clear, when I make a mistake you hear it. If you want me to play only the notes without any specific dynamics, I will never make one mistake. Never be afraid to dare."
♪ > $

#1909291 - 06/06/12 10:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Sam, you will play any piece you attempt to play like a pro given a time and how talented you are. Many adult beginners won't reach such hight like Horowitz but I can totally picture you winning Van Clivan (spelling?) Amateur contest when you become old enough to enter, ahh..in 10 or 12 years. If you don't quit, continue to work diligently, you will get there. Believe it or not, the hardest part for adult beginners is not to quit when life happens (dating, marriage, work, more schooling, etc). Keep up with your good work.

#1909302 - 06/06/12 10:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
My ATOW last week was a) to not get too upset when my teacher had to cancel and b) to finish memorizing my Papa Mozart piece.
a) that's always a disappointment. frown
b) I thought you had given up on Mozart! Have you had a change of heart?

#1909309 - 06/06/12 10:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Eglantine - liberated! I love it. I'm still very much looking forward to hearing these harpsichord pieces.

FarmGirl, I listened to your composition on the computer, but then printed it out, because I'm sure it is prettier than the computer managed- what a lovely idea!

JOhn - Congrats, that's quite an achievement indeed!!!

Sam - I'm glad you are giving up on the idea that you have to be perfect. As FarmGirl said, you're young and you're talented. You'll be able to make great strides- just be patient with yourself!!! (I know, easier said than done!)

MaryBee, I gave up on A.Mozart, this piece is by L. Mozart, Amadeus' dad smile....you're very attentive smile

Lesson scheduled for Friday, .. fingers crossed that it will come to pass as planned!

#1909333 - 06/06/12 11:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
OK, AotW was finally memorizing my pieces for the recital. Although I won't label them as 100% solid yet.

The Chopin prelude in E minor was the hardest - it has very subtle harmonic changes, largely chromatic, with no pattern to the beat that the change would occur on or how long the (repeated 8th) notes are played for. Some changes can be reversed without causing an obvious change in the piece and some subtle variations can, likewise, go unrecognized. Further, if you lose track it's hard to figure out any good rewind points!

Kawai K3

#1909432 - 06/06/12 01:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Break a leg, Andy. We know you will play beautifully. The E-minor looks so easy and is soooooo hard to get just the way you want it. Have fun at your recital.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1909486 - 06/06/12 03:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Andy,

in boca al lupo! (you have to say "crepi")

(in the mouth of the wolf!) (he will die!)

Then all will be well.
No, all will be well becuase of the practice and focus work you've put into these pieces.

I hope we get to hear them!
What is the date of your recital?

Page 85 of 238 < 1 2 ... 83 84 85 86 87 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway piano with two offset keyboards
by guyl
10/24/14 10:36 AM
Black and white dampers
by iLaw
10/24/14 09:55 AM
AUGUST FORSTER
by Karl Watson
10/24/14 09:05 AM
Piano lessons: every week or every two weeks?
by Pover
10/24/14 06:34 AM
Anything better than the Yamaha CLP-990 yet?
by pianelmo
10/24/14 04:49 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (Anne'sson, ajames, Alexander Borro, accordeur, AndresD, 39 invisible), 1435 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76633 Members
42 Forums
158468 Topics
2327124 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission