Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 97 of 227 < 1 2 ... 95 96 97 98 99 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#1965517 - 09/27/12 10:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cas, it sounds like he is a good teacher. I am really happy for you.

I had a really tough week. Very busy with work and basically sleep played.. meaning i was so sleepy that i almost hit the keys. Maybe it's not ideal for practice but it sure helps my mind clear. Will write more when normalcy returns..
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1965536 - 09/27/12 10:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Luna]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England

Quote:
EdwardianPiano, I have a digital and, although it certainly can't compare to an acoustic, I am really getting much more use out of it than I did with my previous (acoustic) piano simply because I can practice any old time I want. Even during the day when my family and neighbors don't mind the noise, I still love that I can keep my practice private. No one wants to hear me play and replay the same measure a zillion times. My piano is a Casio Celviano AP420 and it suits my current needs just fine.

Hi Luna. A friend of mine has a digital- I have a play on it when I go over. I should go over and see her- not seen her since I started my piano lessons- be nice to show her what I'm learning! She has made a right nice feature of it- with a mirror and fairy lights round the mirror. Mine is quite oldy worldy with candlesticks and pictures of Beethoven, Liszt, Chopin and my Grandad's late c.19th and early 1900s family photos on him! Piano is a "he" cos he has character! And too loud for after 10pm! I'd need to move if I got a digital as my living room is small and Piano already dominates it!

Quote:
My achievement of the week is making my first complete week of MOYD. I have to say that even in that short time, I can see how consistent daily practice is a huge help. Don't ever underestimate the power of even 10 or 15 minutes. It's a wonderful thing.

MOYD? Can't work out the acronym...
I used to just do 15 mins but it's getting longer by the day. I want to play for hours. I would too if I didn't have other (mostly boring) things to do- you know how it is.

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1965544 - 09/27/12 11:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Luna Offline

Loc: Rhode Island (USA)
MOYD = Master of Your Domain. (I believe it's a Seinfeld reference.) It's one of the threads here on the Adult Beginners' section where you pledge to get to the piano on a daily basis. Even five minutes counts. It's meant to help get you in the habit of daily practice.

I know what you mean though about being busy. I do find that I usually always end up practicing longer than originally intended--which is a good thing.

I'm convinced that your brain really and truly does work stuff out. For example, I started a piece a couple of days ago and was struggling with some of the rhythms. There were two measures that just didn't make sense. I only worked on it for about 10 minutes for two days. On day number 3, it suddenly clicked, made sense, and actually sounds like music now.

Even a little bit of practice can go a long way. I'm so curious to see where I am one year from now if I can stick to my MOYD pledge.

And speaking of falling asleep, I'm about to.

Edited by Luna (09/27/12 11:21 PM)

#1965569 - 09/28/12 12:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Luna]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
MOYD = Master of Your Domain. (I believe it's a Seinfeld reference.) It's one of the threads here on the Adult Beginners' section where you pledge to get to the piano on a daily basis. Even five minutes counts. It's meant to help get you in the habit of daily practice.

Ah I see. I am so addicted now that five minutes wouldn't be enough. If I won the lottery I'd probably do nothing else but piano piano piano. 3hearts

Quote:
I know what you mean though about being busy. I do find that I usually always end up practicing longer than originally intended--which is a good thing.

Yes- I was letting my dinner get cold!

Quote:
I'm convinced that your brain really and truly does work stuff out. For example, I started a piece a couple of days ago and was struggling with some of the rhythms. There were two measures that just didn't make sense. I only worked on it for about 10 minutes for two days. On day number 3, it suddenly clicked, made sense, and actually sounds like music now.

I know what you mean. When you get something it feels so good doesn't it?

Quote:
Even a little bit of practice can go a long way. I'm so curious to see where I am one year from now if I can stick to my MOYD pledge.

Same here!!

Quote:
And speaking of falling asleep, I'm about to.

I ought to be but I'm not!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966001 - 09/28/12 11:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

My ATOW is that i had a really good lesson today. I played the f minor prelude from Bach WTC Book iI today and my teacher was very pleased. We will move on to the fugue next week. Brahms intermezzo op 118 no 2 is moving at a slower piece than Bach but okay. It's a really pretty piece and I cannot wait to memorize. It's very nice to have a teacher in my age too. Friday lessons are awesome as well. It was really hard to go to a lesson at 3:00 PM in the middle of the week - even though I work into the wee hours to make up for it. My old teacher is an excellent piano teacher but she had a hard time understanding the nature of my job. I could not get Friday or Saturday lessons because she reserved those lessons for "busy" college kids. I don't think there were so many ladies when she was younger, pulled 60 hours work week. When I walked in, she was playing Scriabin's etude..I like that. On the way back, I also found an excellent USED BOOK STORE WITH SHEET MUSIC! Nice day:)

Edited by FarmGirl (09/28/12 11:39 PM)
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1966029 - 09/29/12 01:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
My achievement this week is that I now have the new book and am starting it. It still has pictures of dogs and ducks in it though, so I look forward to the day when every piece I play is no longer decorated with piano-playing mice etc. smile
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1966059 - 09/29/12 04:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Edwardpiano - it is great to see your enthusiam! I loved reading the descriptions of your piano set up - it sounds charming indeed, what a lovely setting in which to play!

Luna, isn't it great when things fall into place? I love that feeling.

Toastie - a new book! There are few things more exciting for us that new material. I would like to mention that there are beginner materials for adults that don't have wee animals on them. smile

FarmGirl - I'm glad to hear you are so happy with your new teacher, and that the lessons are more convenient for you. Ironically my lessons are now in the middle of the week, in the middle of the afternoon! However, I believe I'm going to be able to set up lessons of my own (I mean with me as the teacher) right after my piano lesson, in the same facility (lessons are at the middle school in which I teach). Even if I can't , the lesson is only 10 minutes from home and close to pretty well anywhere else I need to go too, so I'm not worried about it.

I've been working on my pieces but I'm not sure I hear anything different in them. I suppose what is different is that I'm reading and working at looking at the notes and glancing at the keys rather than only looking at the keys. I have to improve this ability to do a bit of both, it tends to be only one or the other for me......

#1966062 - 09/29/12 05:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

Toastie - a new book! There are few things more exciting for us that new material. I would like to mention that there are beginner materials for adults that don't have wee animals on

Ah it's ok, I don't mind the animals so much, as long as the book is helpful (which it is). Plus there was a cute little certificate in the back which I made my teacher sign to say I finished and this made me as happy as any seven year old would be.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1966063 - 09/29/12 05:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

You know, I think I'd be delighted with a certificate too.....perhaps even more if it had a mouse on it smile

#1966064 - 09/29/12 05:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

You know, I think I'd be delighted with a certificate too.....perhaps even more if it had a mouse on it smile

It does have a mouse on it. He's making a "thumbs up" sign!!!
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1966066 - 09/29/12 05:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Oh, I would be absolutely giddy with delight! smile

What fun!

#1966067 - 09/29/12 05:15 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

Oh, I would be absolutely giddy with delight! smile

What fun!

Haha! I think you need to buy some certificates and award them to yourself.

I work with children and there is nothing I like more than giving myself stickers. It's so motivating!!!!
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1966113 - 09/29/12 08:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
OK, that does it. You all get a good-AOTW sticker for the week..........
[i][/i]

Estonia L190 #7284

#1966139 - 09/29/12 09:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Thank you Jim --- see, I'm "wearing" my sticker! smile

#1966168 - 09/29/12 11:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Edwardpiano - it is great to see your enthusiam! I loved reading the descriptions of your piano set up - it sounds charming indeed, what a lovely setting in which to play!

Thanks, it is when the buses and ice cream vans are not making a racket outside! I live on a main road.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966170 - 09/29/12 11:08 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Valencia Offline

My AOTW is that I recorded a piece for a friend and mentor as a thank you. The piece still needs lots of work, but I recorded it for her anyway and explained that I would play it for her again when my playing improved. The piece was Rachmaninoff's Prelude Op. 32 No. 12. The other part of the AOTW is that I *almost* have this piece memorized. I did play it through from memory yesterday but there are some spots that are still shaky.

#1966178 - 09/29/12 11:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JimF
OK, that does it. You all get a good-AOTW sticker for the week..........
[i][/i]

They are so cute! I want them LOL. Animals in books is fine by me but got none in any of my piano books.
I wouldn't mine one with those cute funny little Hoots in it from The Clangers.

Tiny Clanger plants a musical tree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rWghGSm4Y

This had me laughing in delight at it's innocent magical cuteness.

Here are the Hoots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MMqKgshQCk

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966181 - 09/29/12 11:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Toastie Offline

Ha ha I love his little choirmaster outfit. I need to get a mouse and a tiny piano and teach it to play.

EdwardianPIano, I love The Clangers! Do you remember the marvellous mechanical mouse organ from Bagpuss?
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1966189 - 09/29/12 11:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Toastie]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Toastie
Ha ha I love his little choirmaster outfit. I need to get a mouse and a tiny piano and teach it to play.

EdwardianPIano, I love The Clangers! Do you remember the marvellous mechanical mouse organ from Bagpuss?

I used to have two pet mice a few years back- they were very sweet!

I have two little piano musical boxes- they are very cute. I also have a cute mandolin music box I got from a charity shop for £3.

I do re Bagpuss! Have a Bagpuss DVD I got from Home Bargains last year.

Here is something charming- possibly cute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXZaLZe7m4

How I want one of those Victorian music boxes!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (09/29/12 11:48 AM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966190 - 09/29/12 11:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Luna Offline

Loc: Rhode Island (USA)
FarmGirl, it sounds like you are working on some great music that you love and that is so motivating. Congratulations on a great lesson. I know what you mean about having a teacher who understands the nature of life for someone who is working full time. I am not taking piano lessons at the moment, but my voice teacher is like that. Extremely down to earth. It makes a huge difference.

Toastie, nothing wrong with ducks and dogs! It's always a good feeling to start a new book. You will continue to make progress and before you know it, you'll be playing the stuff that you really yearn to be playing.

casinitaly, I find the same thing about looking at the keys and looking at the page; it tends to be one or the other for me, too. I find that for me, I don't look at my hands much when I am learning a piece. But as I begin to memorize, I look at the page less and my hands more. And then eventually muscle memory kicks in. I've found that I am memorizing more intelligently though. I try to remember certain notes so that I'm not relying completely on my muscles. Memorization is an interesting process.

Valencia, what a great gift to record a piece for a friend! I think that's a marvelous idea.

Cute videos!!

My singing teacher gave me a Bach cantata, "Jauchzett Gott in llen landen." She's starting to think that I just might be a coloratura soprano, which is exciting as I really do love florid music. But honestly--I'm not sure how I am going to manage a balance between my vocal practice and my piano. But I am definitely going to try to keep up with both. Singing tends to take priority but I don't want to lose my piano practicing foothold.

#1966193 - 09/29/12 11:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Luna]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Luna how exciting about your voice! I do hope you can find time to practise singing and piano playing.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966371 - 09/29/12 04:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Luna, thank you for you kind note. I feel like "understood", which is a great feeling. I love singing too but could not continue voice lessons due to time constraints. I had to pick one of the two, piano or voice. It will be great to continue both if you could. You could accompany yourself. For some reasons, I cannot do both. I either have to play the piano only or sing.

#1966438 - 09/29/12 06:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Valencia]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Valencia
My AOTW is that I recorded a piece for a friend and mentor as a thank you. The piece still needs lots of work, but I recorded it for her anyway and explained that I would play it for her again when my playing improved. The piece was Rachmaninoff's Prelude Op. 32 No. 12. The other part of the AOTW is that I *almost* have this piece memorized. I did play it through from memory yesterday but there are some spots that are still shaky.

Brilliant Valencia!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1966701 - 09/30/12 08:55 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Luna,

A budding coloratura in our midst? Oh my. That'exciting.

Maybe if I ever get this Puccinni up to speed we could give the first AOTW-Opera! grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#1966734 - 09/30/12 10:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Week 29: practiced six of the seven days which is an improvement. Five days were short, maybe 15 minutes, with maybe 40 minutes on the one day. I went back to doing some free playing aka known to me as composition. I can't get very far during the short time periods, but the good feeling is back.

#1966780 - 09/30/12 12:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: JimF
Luna. . .Maybe if I ever get this Puccinni up to speed we could give the first AOTW-Opera! grin

My tongue is hanging out for it!

Cathy

#1967003 - 09/30/12 06:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
LizAnne Offline

Wow - I learned the difference between tied and detached notes - not just the theoretical difference, but the playing difference, the different sound in a piece.

I know, I know, it's so very basic. But nobody ever taught me. Years ago I did two years or so of private lessons with two different teachers, working all the way up to the grade 6 book but NOBODY ever taught me this.

Now, I'm working way down at the grade 2 level, re-learning after a long hiatus, and doing it in GROUP classes. There was so much skepticism on this board when I said I was taking group classes, but I'm learning things in group that I never learned in private lessons. It's a high quality teacher and the students are at slightly different levels so she doesn't skip things she assumes we should know. It's working!!

#1967022 - 09/30/12 07:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
FarmGirl, Cas, LizAnne ... I love all the stories of new teachers and lessons that are going so well. It's important to find the person/group that works for us, someone to keep us motivated and challenge us in positive ways. (And, as you know well, LizAnne, to make sure we're "getting" all the pieces of the puzzle. There's just so much to learn, isn't there?)

My accomplishment for the week is sort of a continuation from last week when I was due to have a Dampp-Chaser installed in my piano. Got it done, but my tech recommended letting the piano stabilize for a week or so before he tuned it ... so I finally, just today, have a freshly tuned instrument. It's heaven.

And now I really do have to go get in some practice time. Lesson coming up this Tuesday and I'm not ready!

Edited by piano_deb (09/30/12 07:07 PM)

#1967030 - 09/30/12 07:20 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Happy practising Deb.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1967035 - 09/30/12 07:25 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: LizAnne]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LizAnne
Wow - I learned the difference between tied and detached notes - not just the theoretical difference, but the playing difference, the different sound in a piece.

I know, I know, it's so very basic. But nobody ever taught me. Years ago I did two years or so of private lessons with two different teachers, working all the way up to the grade 6 book but NOBODY ever taught me this.

Now, I'm working way down at the grade 2 level, re-learning after a long hiatus, and doing it in GROUP classes. There was so much skepticism on this board when I said I was taking group classes, but I'm learning things in group that I never learned in private lessons. It's a high quality teacher and the students are at slightly different levels so she doesn't skip things she assumes we should know. It's working!!

Sounds great LizAnne! I know what you mean when something is explained to you that noone told you before- my teacher has taught me things and explained things that I wasn't shown or told before as well- and only had 2 lessons off him as yet. I have my next one Wednesday. I feel very positive about my learning- I am listening to all he tells me and working hard on things he gives me and feel some improvements. They are small as yet but I can see them and my friend can see them when she comes and I play Piano. Small steps lead to bigger steps!

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Page 97 of 227 < 1 2 ... 95 96 97 98 99 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
64 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Atrys, AndyG123, angga888, 15 invisible), 1235 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75522 Members
42 Forums
156178 Topics
2293516 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Would you Choose?
by Semolina Pilchard
Today at 04:32 AM
Advice for learning composition and arrangement
by ttttcrngyblflpp
Today at 03:18 AM
Broadway medley
by cheni
Today at 02:10 AM
I'm Back!!
by warlock214
Today at 12:52 AM
Ex-Veteran wants to return, is it possible ?
by Spektre
Today at 12:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission