Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 186 of 227 < 1 2 ... 184 185 186 187 188 ... 226 227 >
Topic Options
#2174179 - 10/30/13 06:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Jessiebear Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Carlos what an amazing achievement!!! I just watched your video and am blown away. Truly awesome.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2174204 - 10/30/13 08:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Loc: Italy
Congratulations Carlos! Well the winners' song is certainly "easy-listening", although I don't like it very much. There is a totally different level of musicianship and refinement in your performance.

#2174267 - 10/30/13 11:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Wow, what a quality set of performances! It's incredible what level each of them brought their performances to. Most of us here have participated in recitals/gigs of some sort and know what kind of work goes in to them for those of us who aren't full-time musicians. BES certainly does have talent!

I, too, liked your performance best, and thought it was the most musically satisfying, altho I know how hard it is to make vocals sound good, and the soloists were great. As for the winners - I'll admit to being partial to bands laugh They were just having so much fun! They made me laugh smile And they had fun with their video, too.

What a bunch of winners smile You were in great company. And so were they - yours was beautiful.

Cathy

#2174285 - 10/30/13 11:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Ron, I totally remember having that same experience with O Sole Mio - having the pieces finally fall into place & make sense. My achievement this week is similar - I was able to figure out the answer to one of my own dumb questions. I’ve just started working on the duet from Bizet’s The Pearlfishers, & working on the RH, at the end of the first “sentence” there was a G where I thought there should be an A. Eventually, when I was working on the LH, I realized the chord at the end of the LH in the sentence held the A. Actually, getting the timing right helped too - the G was actually in the next measure. But I recognized the A because I heard it - while I was playing the LH, I must’ve been hearing the RH in my head. I was so relieved to find the missing A!

#2174476 - 10/30/13 06:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Online   content

Yesterday I had a good lesson. I got a pass on two pieces, the Bach Polonaise I started al least 6 months ago (I should check), and Schumann's Little Romance that I started studying in August.

#2174533 - 10/30/13 08:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
Good going Carlos. I think you were number one. I would have voted for you.

#2174661 - 10/31/13 03:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: rnaple

Me too! Carlos, you are my inspiration.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2174665 - 10/31/13 04:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl

Indeed!

I did like the fellow playing the guitar and singing - and the woman had a lovely voice too....The band was fun, but ...:)

It has been so much fun following this adventure with you Carlos!

#2174666 - 10/31/13 04:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl

I agree! Carlos, your performance had so much heart. You did a beautiful job.

#2174681 - 10/31/13 06:37 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Thanks!
Believe it or not, I thought of you guys in some moments of my playing. thumb

As I told, my goal was to be one of the finalist to do the video. As an amateur pianist, the chances of making a professional video are very few, or close to zero. That was an achievement for me. Also, all the experience was unforgettable and rich.

But, there are some fresh news:
I received a phone call from a company's board member asking if I want to be part of a show that my company wants to produce with the finalists in 2014. Usually the shows are in Lisbon an Porto, here:

I accepted the invitation.
... but this is another level of compromise... eek

Also, some of the singers are going to participate in the annual Christmas party of my company with three Christmas songs. Due the budget limits we can't do any rehearsal to work with (live) instruments. That to say, we are happy but we never imagined the implications of our participation in the contest...

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2174690 - 10/31/13 07:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Whoa! Carlos, that is what I call stepping up to the big stage! thumb

We're going to need to find something like a AOTW Superstar icon for you. grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#2174704 - 10/31/13 08:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
That IS quite an achievement Carlos and richly deserved as well. Bravo! Of the finalists I enjoyed yours the most. smile

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2174707 - 10/31/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: rnaple]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
I have O Sole Mio as this weeks song for my lesson. I know the song. When I first looked at it. Made no sense whatsoever. Even after my teacher went over it literally with me. Still didn't click. Been working on it. I can't believe it. I'm actually getting it now!

I remember this song. When I was assigned it (6-11) I wanted to skip it but decided at teachers urging to learn it. Well, when you posted this, I dug out my old book and looked at it and it's not nearly as intimidating as back then. wow This sort of thing brings to mind how much we do progress over time. Isn't it great when something clicks? You'll like it I'm sure.

#2174832 - 10/31/13 01:12 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
My sort o` music Carlos. One might lose oneself in one`s thoughts to that tune . . .A peaceful place!

""

#2174841 - 10/31/13 01:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Really well done, Carlos.

#2174959 - 10/31/13 05:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Congratulations, Carlos!!

#2175799 - 11/02/13 08:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Got both pianos tuned last week, having first convinced my wife to move "Rufus" out of the sun and away from the heating ducts. Voila! It's now holding its tune nicely and is up for sale:

If you fast forward to 8:42 there are excerpts (chopped up to remove the worst of the flubs) of me playing Clair de Lune. I resisted the urge to ask my tuner to play it to use for marketing purposes... he's fantastic and can make the thing sound like a Steinway.

"Mabel" sounds amazing, such a rich tone, I'm just thrilled with it. It still needs new key tops, hammer filing, voicing, and full regulation. There are some twangy strings, but I think this will be resolved when the hammers are fixed, which will be done with proceeds from sale of Rufus.

Mabel is good enough for the recital in... arrrrggghhh... 12 days, 12 hours, and 58 minutes... shocked

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2175814 - 11/02/13 08:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

@Tallguy, Rufus sounds pretty nice now. I was confused at first thinking the video was Mable. Good luck on your sale of Rufus, I'm sure he'll bring someone lots of joy. smile

#2175823 - 11/02/13 09:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Ragdoll. I hope we can sell him fast so I can get Mabel into tip-top shape in time for the 2/15 ABF Recital. We'll have to see.

Nice horse!

XXIX-XXXII

#2176117 - 11/02/13 08:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Sand Tiger Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Congratulations to all that have already submitted for the recital, and for the many other achievements, great and small being reported.

Week 86: another week already? I don't feel ready or willing to record yet, even though I have been playing the piece for several months now. I record and listen to a scrap version of Tracks in the Snow. Ouch, it hurts to listen to the beginner problems. That said, the newly written tune haunts me at times, so there is some power to it. I never know how audiences or listeners might respond to a new piece. Most new pieces and songs have to be listened to many times before they have passed the test. However, virtually no one does repeated listens for amateur songwriters, except the songwriter, so no one really knows.

Onward and upward. In most of the U.S., we get an extra hour with the time change.

Edited by Sand Tiger (11/02/13 09:09 PM)

#2176288 - 11/03/13 08:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Nice horse!

Oh thanks TallGuy, she was one of my best ever (out of five). Unfortunately I no longer have her and doubt if she's still alive. I got her as a weanling and sold her (and foal) 9 years later for 10 times what I paid for her.

#2176299 - 11/03/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Aside from CBTS and STWOM I have concentrated this week mostly on improvising from lead sheets and simplified versions of known songs. I think doing this has developed my understanding of voicing chords and harmony greatly. I have found this to be very rewarding and it seems to be a good AOTW to me. YMMV
yippie smile

#2176327 - 11/03/13 09:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I have survived pianoless for one whole week of house renovations.
The thought of a new piano when it is done is all that keeps me going.

#2176497 - 11/03/13 02:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Hey folks- you are all so awesome! Congrats to Carlos- good work!! Hope you get your house done soon Malkin. Well done Ragdoll as well.
Well it isn't that much ro report compared with all of you, but just been practising from piano for all- broken chords with crossing over hands and it seeemd so hard- but I finally started getting it and then improvising a tune with them. This exercise is hugely helpful to me as I have do cross overs in Fur Elise and that is helping me with that too. I hadn't done cross over hands before then, just the odd finger!

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/03/13 02:24 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2179104 - 11/08/13 02:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Not at all an achievement. On the contrary, after an extended week-end in Rome with the family (we had a great time) I returned to the bench but a pain in my right forearm stopped me. It's not strong, and I don't even know if it is piano related; I think it is not, because I did not practice much. Yesterday I just ignored it, but after the bicycle ride from work was slightly worse.
So I used the classic ice and rest therapy... no piano, no weights, no computer mouse...

Less than 2 months to MOYD 2013... I'm practicing a bit with the left hand only...

#2179153 - 11/08/13 03:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
My achievement of the week is attempting something hard. I haven't been very hard working lately, as been so busy, so I went to my lesson with the intention to ask to do something easy enough that I could experience some success with it.

Came away with something hard instead. I'm not quite sure how that happened.

But I had better get started.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2179281 - 11/08/13 06:07 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Achievement of the week was to get the recital piece recorded. I learned a lesson last recital to start the piece with plenty of time so I gave this one the full three months although did falter in effort during the time. Two weeks ago I was thinking of not submitting at all it was just not happening. However a bit of focus and perhaps a bit of statistical luck (usually takes far too many attempts) and I have a recording, albeit this ones never going to make the itunes store.

#2179291 - 11/08/13 06:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Earl - If your first two entries are any indication, I'm sure it will be quite good.

XXIX-XXXII

#2179298 - 11/08/13 06:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: aTallGuyNH]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Earl - If your first two entries are any indication, I'm sure it will be quite good.

thanks aTallGuyNH, very kind of you to say

#2179530 - 11/09/13 10:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
neuralfirings Offline

Like many of you, working on getting my recital piece recorded. I'm almost ready to submit. Here is my most recent recording (along with some notes on things I'm working on).

This piece (Chopin's Ballade No. 1) is fun for me for a few reasons:

1) It's the first piece I've learned by myself since I quit playing piano 10 years ago.

2) It's just a really pretty piece, and it's always fun playing beautiful music.

3) I don't know how many threads I've seen on this and other forums where people say, "the Ballade is too hard" "it's one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire." Well, I always like a good challenge. smile

4) I kept a practice blog of this piece. It's fun going back and listening to how I "played" months ago.

5) I've been using my new site Notable Scores Notable Scores to keep notes, tips; and it's been super helpful to keep tabs on practicing. I like making websites, especially one that actually helps me in my daily life!

I am really excited to hear the recital. I joined Piano World a little after the last recital.

Page 186 of 227 < 1 2 ... 184 185 186 187 188 ... 226 227 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (bennevis, AndrewJCW, BB Player, ando, angga888, 15 invisible), 1272 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156147 Topics
2293076 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mendelssohn on meaning in music
by phantomFive
53 minutes 6 seconds ago
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 02:46 AM
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission