Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
132 registered (anamnesis, ajames, accordeur, 44 invisible), 1624 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 231 of 246 < 1 2 ... 229 230 231 232 233 ... 245 246 >
Topic Options
#2320687 - 08/27/14 01:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: BrianDX]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
I think this way after EVERY piece I master enough to pass my teacher's muster. "Geez, what took so long for something that is obviously simple"?

In all seriousness, this type of thinking can be counter-productive to progress. I'm trying hard to eliminate this as much as I can after every completed piece.

I completely agree with this. Adults seem to always be too critical of themselves. As beginners/intermediates I think we forget that each piece brings something new to us. We do not have the breadth of experience to have the technique to handle everything about a new piece. That is why we have teachers!

If you think about kids taking piano lessons, they don't have that internal critical voice, or a specific timetable to get to some level. They just enjoy the journey. I try to adapt that perspective, but my impatience often gets in the way!

My AOTW was having a great lesson, where I felt really "on my game" and played very confidently and pretty much error free in all of my pieces. I love lessons like that. I leave feeling like I have really made progress. It makes up for all the times when it seems that I just cannot get things right!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2320759 - 08/27/14 05:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I've been away for a few weeks, and ....I was having so much fun I didn't even miss my piano! wow.

It was good to get back playing this week and I'm pleased that the pieces I was working on haven't wobbled too much.

I started looking at my Schumann piece for the themed recital - should be very interesting. I have listened to a few youtube videos and the speed at which it is played varies greatly - I'm leaning towards a slower interpretation at the moment, but we shall see!

I'm also working at the "not being so critical of myself" stuff. It is all too easy to set the bar unrealistically high and then be frustrated.

#2320827 - 08/27/14 08:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MandyD Offline

Loc: Australia
Swiss MS, Brian & Casinitaly you are so right, I haven't looked at it that way before and as soon as I read what you all wrote something clicked. My 8yo daughter just goes to her lessons does what she has to and when she gets home sometimes she practices some times she just mucks about with making up her own tunes, playing the songs she likes, etc, but she puts absolutely no pressure on herself. She has no expectations, and she doesn't think critically or negativity, she just enjoys. I will have to start acting more like her instead of being so self-critical, even my teacher has said I am too hard on myself. So anyway that is my aim for the week now!

Casinitaly it sounds like you have had a great break and I'm glad to hear you had so much fun.

Edited by MandyD (08/27/14 08:25 PM)

#2320854 - 08/27/14 09:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MandyD]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lewes DE
AOTW: I quickly passed the last two stragglers in Faber Level 2, and now I'm 100% in Level 3A. Played and passed "Sakura" in 3A, and earned a sticker for it. No I'm not kidding. I've probably played over 300 pieces during my first year, and only three up until now have earned that rarest of praise from my teacher, "The Sticker". smile

OK if I'm the only adult in this forum who a) gets stickers and b) really enjoys them, then I'm seriously going to hide my head in shame. frown

#2320887 - 08/27/14 11:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well done BrianDX, 300 pieces sure is a lot, (although I am sure they were of a manageable size), but ideal for us beginners. Exposure to as many different pieces of music as possible is very beneficial to future growth.

My teacher does not give out stickers (that I know off), but I would not be too proud to accept one if she did. Occasionally I get a compliment equivalent of a sticker which really makes my day.

#2320926 - 08/28/14 01:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: BrianDX]
lunobili Online   content

Loc: Japan
AOTW: I quickly passed the last two stragglers in Faber Level 2, and now I'm 100% in Level 3A. Played and passed "Sakura" in 3A, and earned a sticker for it. No I'm not kidding. I've probably played over 300 pieces during my first year, and only three up until now have earned that rarest of praise from my teacher, "The Sticker". smile

OK if I'm the only adult in this forum who a) gets stickers and b) really enjoys them, then I'm seriously going to hide my head in shame. frown

LOL, I have to reply to this.

My teacher writes circles on my book when she thinks the piece is done. The bigger the circle the better. For my playing of "The beauty and the beast" I even got petals added to the circle, so yeah no sticker but a big fat flower!!! I was very proud of it.

The fact that I am an adult male, but I merrily play Disney songs and get exited to get flowers drawn on my book should probably be a warning sign, but I actually do not care.

That evening I skipped home, showed my book to my daughter and we compared our books to see who had the better flower (not the same teacher, but same school, it must be endemic).

I hope this will make you feel more "normal". wink

Edited by lunobili (08/28/14 01:59 AM)

#2321001 - 08/28/14 07:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
My teacher insists that I take a sticker every now and then too, for something particularly well done, or lately for overcoming a big problem.

#2321006 - 08/28/14 08:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

To earlofmar, malkin, lunobilli; This is another reason why I love this forum. smile

#2321007 - 08/28/14 08:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

I love the sticker and flower idea! We adults respond to positive feedback, just like kids do! About a year ago my teacher told me that she was going to start being much tougher on me because she thought I was ready for it. I like the push, but I love the occasional "job well done". I would be happy to accept a gold star on my music!

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results. With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

#2321009 - 08/28/14 08:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: earlofmar]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: earlofmar
Well done BrianDX, 300 pieces sure is a lot, (although I am sure they were of a manageable size), but ideal for us beginners. Exposure to as many different pieces of music as possible is very beneficial to future growth.

Yes, the 300 pieces consists of everything from four bar exercises to two page performance pieces. There was one "page turner" piece as well, strangely it was in Level 1. There are a few 3+ page pieces in Level 3A. Won't get to them for a while, however.

#2321012 - 08/28/14 08:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: SwissMS

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results. With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

Well done SwissMS, I remember you posting a while ago about the exam so it has taken a while. Great news.

#2321014 - 08/28/14 08:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! GOOD FOR YOU! You worked very hard and certainly earned your points!

#2321027 - 08/28/14 09:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
SwissMS

With all this talk of stickers, I thought you deserved one for that great test result....

Estonia L190 #7284

#2321050 - 08/28/14 10:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the sticker, JimF! You made my day. And thanks for the congrats everyone!

#2321159 - 08/28/14 02:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lunobili]
Donzo Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Originally Posted By: lunobili

The fact that I am an adult male, but I merrily play Disney songs and get exited to get flowers drawn on my book should probably be a warning sign, but I actually do not care.

I'm an adult male and I loooove Disney songs. They are just mostly too hard for me frown

#2321240 - 08/28/14 06:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well done SwissMS!

It does seem like the results took a long time; yet another reason why I will never do exams. The wait would make me crazy!

#2321404 - 08/29/14 04:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
@Sand Tiger - Actualy I found myself playing in a "free way" too, recovering old pieces and trying new sounds. Congrats on your 1000 post milestone!
Ragdoll - Too bad about your teacher... Yes, practice on your own. It's te best you can do.
MandyD - Good news!!! Now, you're in the right path to continue working on it.
BrianDX - teachers, teachers....
casinitaly - Welcome back.
BrianDX - Stickers...? Cool! 300 pieces in the first year...? What?
lunobili - My first attempts were Disney pieces. I love it!
SwissMS - WOW! That's the real AOTW. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I've two AOTW:
1st) listen and comment all the Recital #35 pieces. Great stuff.
2nd) At the same time I'm already working on the next piece I'll submit to the next recital. It's a piece I tried to play two years ago without any success. Now, it seems easier and much more musical.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2321405 - 08/29/14 04:21 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Donzo]
UKIkarus Online   content

Loc: England, South East
Originally Posted By: Donzo
Originally Posted By: lunobili

I'm an adult male and I loooove Disney songs. They are just mostly too hard for me frown

Love them too, just wish I could make them sound a bit better when I try playing them laugh

Congratulations smile

Edited by UKIkarus (08/29/14 04:22 AM)

#2321417 - 08/29/14 05:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
barbaram Offline

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results.

Yay, well done you! A very well deserved achievement.

With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

That is quite a breakneck speed! I am sure you will be well capable of it.

I am loving the stickers and flowers, I absolutely agree that adults need positive feedback. I have been known to award my boss a gold star :-)

#2321421 - 08/29/14 05:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
barbaram Offline

I have another AOTW - I finally received my ABRSM grade 5 theory exam results: 89/100, a merit! I missed distinction by one point. Still, I am very happy with the results.

Yay, well done you! A very well deserved achievement.

With that passed, I am now cleared to sit practical exams grades 6-8. I plan on sitting 5 in November, and 6 in June.

That is quite a breakneck speed! I am sure you will be well capable of it.

I am loving the stickers and flowers, I absolutely agree that adults need positive feedback. I have been known to award my boss a gold star :-)

#2321438 - 08/29/14 07:12 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

I love the sticker and flower idea! We adults respond to positive feedback, just like kids do! About a year ago my teacher told me that she was going to start being much tougher on me because she thought I was ready for it. I like the push, but I love the occasional "job well done". I would be happy to accept a gold star on my music!

Spectacular! I love hearing about the achievements from folks who are at a more advanced stage than I.

Due to my physical location and other reasons I don't think I will be able to ever participate in any formal exams. Does a teacher have to arrange something like this, or is totally upon the student to do so?

#2321441 - 08/29/14 07:23 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

BrianDX What is it about your location that makes you doubt your ability to participate in exams?

#2321449 - 08/29/14 07:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: malkin]
BrianDX Offline
500 Post Club Member

Maybe I don't understand the concept of how you "sit" for these exams. Do you have to go to a physical location where a ABSRM representative is located, or can you do it online, or at a teacher's home who is certified to do it?

Any follow-up information would be much appreciated. smile

#2321525 - 08/29/14 11:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I have achievement and near achievement.

1) I hosted Phoenix Piano Club monthly performance! It was a good party. It started at 7:30 and ended 10:30. Many excellent performance. I swear several members (including our own Carey) can play professional. I enjoyed an endearing showmanship of an 85 year old pianist. I had 17 piano performers 1 clarinet and 7 non performing guests. It took a whole day to prepare the site (chairs placed around piano), food and beverage preparation. They liked my piano shaped cake, hehehe.
2) I completed my duet with my ex duet partner. I'm glad that I discharged my responsibility. She is a wonderful person outside of duet. I just cannot deal with people who gets like a micro manager and overly critical. I have my own mother for that. Lesson learned here. In picking a duet partner, personality fit is very important. Also don't rehearse too much. You can practice on your own a lot. In chamber music, you only rehearse once or twice. I think I could have approached duet more professionally. You don't practice duet together. You rehearse. Another lesson learned.
3) near achievement. At college (I practice there when my hubby works from home), a young man named D came to my practice room for a chat. He's been working on Bach Invention #1. He is a relatively young pianist in piano playing career who started piano a few years ago. He wanted me to hear me play the Bach. I said I haven't done the piece. I did 8 inventions in my youth but it wasn't one of them. But I tried to sigh tread for the heck of it. It wasn't bad thing to read and I could play the thing hand together with only minor flub. So I thought "wow, look how far I came!" Told my teacher so. She said "I hate to say this but it's the easiest of all the inventions. Since you are good with Bach, not surprised if you could read. Your sight reading weakness is in big chords. Now get back to work!"
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2321552 - 08/29/14 01:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: BrianDX]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Maybe I don't understand the concept of how you "sit" for these exams. Do you have to go to a physical location where a ABSRM representative is located, or can you do it online, or at a teacher's home who is certified to do it?

Any follow-up information would be much appreciated. smile

An adult can enter themselves for an exam. I did ABRSM, which is the most common in Europe, but in the US they mainly do RCM. Most people doing exams do work with a teacher on preparation, though it is not required.

The candidate must go to an exam centre for the testing. For ABRSM, all of the examiners come from Britain. There are centres throughout most of the world. Here in Switzerland we have three exam centres - In Zurich, central Switzerland, and Geneva. The tests take about 20 minutes and include playing prepared pieces, playing scales and arpeggios, prima vista sight reading, and an aural exam. For the practical exams, results take about three weeks, but for theory exams they can take up to three months. I did my first practical in May, and found it a very good learning experience. It is a good test in performing under pressure. Preparing for the aural and sight reading really was helpful to me.

#2321571 - 08/29/14 02:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Wow, Farmgirl, that is a big crowd to host. You could go through five or six bottles of wine without anybody wearing a lampshade. grin Sight reading inventions?.....get outta town....I'm sure impressed even if your teacher isn't.

No AOTW for me...I'm still slowly working in my left hand again...but my teacher had a good AOTW to tell me. Alfred Publishing has decided to publish a beginner piano book that she has written. I'll be sure to put up a link when it is out.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2321573 - 08/29/14 02:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Purkoy Online   content

Loc: United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
But I tried to sigh tread for the heck of it.

I realised after a few brow-furrowed seconds it was just a finger-slip typo, but that was so recognisably how I sometimes feel when sight reading!

#2321580 - 08/29/14 02:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
LarryShone Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Darlington, UK
Not piano related but I got my college course results, 8 Distinctions!
I also got a special award from the college, one of only 8 students in the whole college to receive one!
And next week I start level 3, a 2 year course.

Yamaha PSR225-I NEED A PIANO wink

#2321630 - 08/29/14 04:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: LarryShone]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
We'll look forward to hearing more of you. . .sounds very promising. Well done!

""

#2321656 - 08/29/14 05:45 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Great stuff LarryShore, what are you studying?

Page 231 of 246 < 1 2 ... 229 230 231 232 233 ... 245 246 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
11/26/14 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
11/26/14 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
11/26/14 09:09 AM
Mark your calendars!
by Rich Galassini
11/26/14 07:30 AM
Why single note intonation came from Russia but not USA?
by Hakki
11/26/14 06:46 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159364 Topics
2340995 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission