Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 162 of 228 < 1 2 ... 160 161 162 163 164 ... 227 228 >
Topic Options
#2104241 - 06/18/13 07:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
A baby!!! What wonderful news ElleC. The baby will absorb your beautiful music as she listens.

I'm leaving for a conference in Grand Rapids Michigan tomorrow and have asked the hotel about pianos. They did email back and say nothing available in the hotel (what they mean is they don't let anyone touch theirs) but they'll look. We'll see.

Peter...I'm impressed that the Grieg came easily for you. Haven't heard yours yet but looking forward to it. Mine is one of the easier ones but the fingering is challenging me...building new neuronal pathways is taking its time.

Love to learn

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2104475 - 06/18/13 04:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Wisebuff - I hope you do get to play a piano while you are away.

I had my last lesson of the school year today . sniff. I really wish the summer break wasn't so long here, it is nuts. I won't have lessons again til mid September.

I played my 2 Schumann pieces in "performance mode" though we acknowledged that I am not yet up to the right tempo. I did better than I have, though I did have a little flub in the Sicilienne. He gave me a few pointers for things to work on in both pieces (the other being First Loss). I hope to play both at the EPP in July!

I also played the duet with my young friend - we played the whole march this time (Radetsky) and we are getting better at listening to each other and getting over flubs. Our teacher suggested that we continue working on duets next year if our schedules permit back to back lessons as we have now. (We use the last 10 min of my lesson and the first 10 of his for duet work).

It was a good lesson, I just wish I were going back next week!

#2104596 - 06/18/13 07:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
I also played the duet with my young friend - we played the whole march this time (Radetsky) and we are getting better at listening to each other and getting over flubs. Our teacher suggested that we continue working on duets next year if our schedules permit back to back lessons as we have now. (We use the last 10 min of my lesson and the first 10 of his for duet work).

Here's a thought Cheryl,
Maybe he would be open to a weekly or bi-monthly get together at either of your places or a public venue over summer break. It's worth asking anyway. smile

Never get directions from someone who hasn't been there.

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2104609 - 06/18/13 07:50 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had a very good lesson today and came away from it inspired by the two new pieces teacher recommended. I am already working on two others + the normal scales, arps and dynamics so she said to pick one of her suggestions from the Gershwin book. "Somebody loves Me" and "Someone to Watch Over Me" My limit is definitely 3 pieces to study at once. I don't know HOW you guys study 4-6 at once and difficult ones at that.

I'll take a day or two to noodle around with them and then decide which. SLM is probably going to be easiest to do a bit of improv with but I love the sound of STWOM. I'm hyped! cool

Edited by Ragdoll (06/18/13 07:51 PM)

#2104671 - 06/18/13 11:35 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I am always at a complete loss when I have to choose what to play next. Once I finally choose something, I want to unchoose it because it is too hard. Of course after I get some instruction I feel like Winnie the Pooh in this excerpt:

"Can you read, Pooh?" Owl asked a little anxiously. "There's a notice about knocking and ringing outside my door, which Christopher Robin wrote. Could you read it?"
"Christopher Robin told me what it said, and then I could."

Only for me it would be "Matthew told me how to play it, and then (after 50 million repetitions) I could."

A break from lessons until mid-September would be awful! Next week, my teacher and I will both be out of town, so no lesson that day, and that's probably the only break this summer!

#2104719 - 06/19/13 02:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Wisebuff - I hope you do get to play a piano while you are away.

I had my last lesson of the school year today . sniff. I really wish the summer break wasn't so long here, it is nuts. I won't have lessons again til mid September.

I played my 2 Schumann pieces in "performance mode" though we acknowledged that I am not yet up to the right tempo. I did better than I have, though I did have a little flub in the Sicilienne. He gave me a few pointers for things to work on in both pieces (the other being First Loss). I hope to play both at the EPP in July!

It was a good lesson, I just wish I were going back next week!

Great!
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2104726 - 06/19/13 03:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Malkin, your Winnie the Pooh quote is hilarious, and so true. I am getting a little better at decoding the ones I'm doing currently all by myself, but that only lasts a little while and then I am back to needing Christopher Robin to show me it all again before I can play it.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2104757 - 06/19/13 06:28 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I love to read this thread but I can't give an individual comment to every achievement... Sorry about that and congratulations everyone.

Just to say that I was in the audition for the contest that my company is organizing.

Well, the ambiance was like "America got talent" or similar, and I wasn't expecting something so "serious". There was a small stage and 3 judges: the HR director of my company - he's pianist -, the administrator of the largest concert hall in Lisbon - he's who organizes the largest and the best music concerts in Portugal -, and the last winner of the Portuguese "America got talent" - yes, we have a contest like this, too. They are who will decide the 3 finalists. And, I saw some staff guys beyond a sound table and a cameraman surrounding the stage and some other people in the audience.

After presenting myself I asked If I could play something before starting playing "Indaco". I explained that It's not easy to play an acoustic piano at 11AM without doing a warming up... They accepted and I play 2 or 3 minutes of "Life" - the piece I'm working on -, and I felt it was my day. The piano had a celestial sound, perfect for "Indaco". I was relaxing.
Then, I play the version I did of "Indaco". I made two or three imperceptible errors, but I was concentrated and I was really enjoying my playing. The cameraman was surrounding me which was a little bit annoying, but I was doing my job. At the end I ear enthusiastic applauses. I wasn't expecting that...

Now, among various, the most interesting comments:
- The administrator of concerts was the first to speak: "How many years did you studied in the Conservatory?" Note: The Conservatory of Lisbon is the most important high school of arts in the country. I said: "None. I'm a self learner since December 2009.". He wasn't believing. He said that I had born with "natural talent".

- The HR director asked: "Why did you entered in this contest?... Because I can fell you play for your own enjoyment; it's like an intimidated playing.". I said: "Just because I love to play and I wouldn't miss the opportunity to have a professional video of me playing."

- The portuguese "America got talent" star: he was amazed... He asked again what was the theme and the composer and how could I play with such dynamics without having a teacher and only with 3 years of work... He was interested about the steps I do in order to achieve such level. Well, frankly I explained that I just like to play and that it's all about work and dedication. He was impressed.

So, I think I was fine. It was not my best interpretation because I'm not use to play in acoustics and the atmosphere was more serious than I could guess. I don't know If I will pass to finals - I don't know the other 11 competitors -, but, at least, I won a beautiful BIC pen with the logo of the company. Let's wait for the results.

Ok, guys, I'm in the finals. smile

For passing to finals, I earned a voucher to spend in travel agencies and, most important, the opportunity to do a professional video with my participation. So far so good!

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2104763 - 06/19/13 07:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Carlos - that is fantastic!!

How very very VERY exciting!

Bravo!!!!!!!!

#2104764 - 06/19/13 07:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
CarloCC what a success to make the finals! That is awesome.
Casinitaly: duets are such fun and really teach you to keep the tempo and listen to each other. My teacher used to be our duet partner which was kind of like playing with a human metronome (she's so good at time). Now she has us (the adults) doing duets and sometimes trios. We did a quartet one time...ended up together and about rolled on the floor laughing with relief.
Ragdoll: sometimes I can only work on two...sometimes ten. It kind of depends on where I'm at with the music...whether it's all new stuff (more taxing) or whether I'm close to knowing it.
Farmgirl: I have a piano in Grand Rapids just a few blocks from the hotel thanks to the staff at the hotel. I'm gone until Sunday and then leave again on Tuesday for Maine. Summerkeys here I come.

Love to learn

#2104814 - 06/19/13 10:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Quote:
Ok, guys, I'm in the finals.

CarlosCC - whoo hoo!

Quote:
Summerkeys here I come.

WiseBuff - wow, I can hardly wait to hear how it goes!

Cathy

#2104818 - 06/19/13 10:34 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
ElleC Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Carlos that's amazing! Way to go!

#2104828 - 06/19/13 11:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Carlos - I knew it! I was not so far off when I said a star was born. Congratulations. You work for some awesome company too !

WiseBuff - I look forward to your report on SummerKeys. Glad you found the piano too.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2104829 - 06/19/13 11:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
An ABF baby and finals. I don't think I'll ever be able to post an AotW again wink Congrats both and, ElleC, make sure that baby does not know life without piano so that they don't end up like my bratlovely daughter and complain when you are practicing!

Kawai K3

#2104838 - 06/19/13 11:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
Quote:

Here's a thought Cheryl,
Maybe he would be open to a weekly or bi-monthly get together at either of your places or a public venue over summer break. It's worth asking anyway. smile

I agree that it would be fun - I just might look into it --- I think I would have to ask my teacher to be the intermediary for this though, the parents might find it very odd for me to be seeking out the company of their son!!!

I really like STWOM - I'm inspired to try it too!

Wisebuff: sounds like you are well organized for your piano time - good for you! Safe travels and have fun!!!

#2104871 - 06/19/13 12:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
An ABF baby and finals. I don't think I'll ever be able to post an AotW again wink

Truer words were never spoken. We're all going to have to win a presidential election or solve world hunger to exceed all the achieving going on this week. Congratulations Carlos and elleC.
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#2104898 - 06/19/13 01:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
CarlosCC - You are the man. thumb Congrats and good luck.

Cheryl -
Quote:
There is a very doable arrangement in your Coates book.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2104903 - 06/19/13 02:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I had a pretty bad lesson yesterday. Somehow I managed to practice the 3 against 2's in the Scriabin piece wrong all week even though I've done it before and know how it should sound.....argggghhhhhhh....now that slightly incorrect rhythm is ingrained in my head and I have to supplant it with the correct one.

Turns out it was because the duples and triplets are two voices in the same hand and I just didn't quite have the timing correct. This morning I did what I should have done at the start last week....I recorded it, fixed it, recorded it again and then spent an hour ingraining the proper timing in my head, ears and hands. Think I will need to record every morning for a bit to make sure the old way doesn't creep back.

Hopefully, problem solved.

Estonia L190 #7284

#2104904 - 06/19/13 02:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: WiseBuff]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
WiseBuff
[b][/b]The Grieg piece is my "optional" one - the one I can duck out of . . . I`ve found out one important thing with complex stuff - the more notes you ignore, the easier it becomes! grin AND you have time to do other things!

""

#2104905 - 06/19/13 02:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JimF
Cheryl -
Quote:
There is a very doable arrangement in your Coates book.

Very doable. Within my reading ability in fact, so it can't be too bad at all.

For some reason the problem pieces in that book for me to just read (not learn) are generally the Cole Porter ones. I think that's because I noodled with Cole Porter pieces since I was 13 and trying to play actual arrangements goes against how I have (mostly incorrectly) played them for years! Bit like your Scriabin counting problem ...

Kawai K3

#2104923 - 06/19/13 03:05 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
torquenale Offline

An ABF baby and finals. I don't think I'll ever be able to post an AotW again wink

Same for me!
Congratulations ElleC and Carlos!!

Anyway, my little AOTW is that I re-learnt one of the pieces I studied last year, maybe my preferred; one of my goals fot the summer is todo the same with other pieces, so maybe a can build some repertoire.

#2104948 - 06/19/13 04:29 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Jim - I think it is pretty neat that you remember I've got that book too --- And Andy --- I've been working on one of the Cole Porter pieces (Making Woopee) for a week or so - it will be one of my summer projects. ( I have no previous experience with it so nothing to get confused about!...well, other than just the general challenge of a new piece smile )

Jim, how frustrating to realize you'd learned something the wrong way 'round!! I hope you can get it sorted out quickly! Good luck.

Torquenale - I am trying to do the same thing - refresh all the "worthwhile" pieces from the last year, to have a little repertoire. I have had great fun re-visiting some of them and will have them fresh and ready to roll at the EPP ! (I am not sure how much each person will play but all my pieces are pretty short. I think I could go through my entire repertoire in about 20 minutes! )

#2105079 - 06/19/13 09:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:

I say gopher it! Plenty of Gershwin to go around grin most of which I like, so much of it is way above my level right now though. At least the terrific ones I've seen on U-Toob

#2105207 - 06/20/13 04:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisboa, Portugal
Thank you for your encouragement! I confess that I thought of you when I got the news that I had passed to the finals. Thank you!

Meanwhile, last week we've been in Algarve a couple of days, to relax and rest. While my wife was relaxing at the pool area, I was playing a beautiful Yamaha white piano.
Take a look:

CarlosCC records
Self-learning since 12/2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2105231 - 06/20/13 08:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jim - I think it is pretty neat that you remember I've got that book too --- And Andy --- I've been working on one of the Cole Porter pieces (Making Woopee) for a week or so - it will be one of my summer projects.

Umm, that's not Cole Porter!

Kawai K3

#2105237 - 06/20/13 08:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Did Cheryl just tell us that her summer project is making woopee?

Well good for for you!! Remember to save some time for piano practice. wink

Estonia L190 #7284

#2105239 - 06/20/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
casinitaly Offline

Jim - I think it is pretty neat that you remember I've got that book too --- And Andy --- I've been working on one of the Cole Porter pieces (Making Woopee) for a week or so - it will be one of my summer projects.

Umm, that's not Cole Porter!

ummmm--- Made an oopsie!

(but I could have sworn it was...oh well, there are worse mistakes )

#2105240 - 06/20/13 08:27 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
Did Cheryl just tell us that her summer project is making woopee?

Well good for for you!! Remember to save some time for piano practice. wink

There's always time for ..........

piano practice smile

#2105255 - 06/20/13 09:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

(but I could have sworn it was...oh well, there are worse mistakes )

It could easily have been him. "Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it ..."

Kawai K3

#2105456 - 06/20/13 06:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Not really an achievement, but tonight I was playing for my husband and I told him I wanted to play certain pieces at the EPP in Brussels and they still need some work... He said, "Well, you still have a few weeks".
He knows I practice (or just play smile ) every day - and we're going away on the weekend, just an overnight getaway (celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary!)...and he said - "You'll have time to play on Saturday before we leave, and we'll be back early enough on Sunday so you can play then too. You don't have to miss a day."

You've got to love a spouse who really understands the importance of MOYD. smile

Page 162 of 228 < 1 2 ... 160 161 162 163 164 ... 227 228 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Atrys, Baudelaire, angga888, AZNpiano, 15 invisible), 1265 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156298 Topics
2295435 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tight Key ??
by moy71
Today at 01:15 AM
Learning progress
by sunnyday
Today at 01:10 AM
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
Yesterday at 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission