Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 194 of 238 < 1 2 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#2198696 - 12/16/13 05:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lautreamont]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brussels, Belgium
Originally Posted By: lautreamont
Yes, that's it, but that's not how mine sounds yet, unfortunately. I've been playing intermittently for a couple years now. Very intermittently, with sometimes months between practices. I've improvised extensively and learned tons of snippets from various composers, but I've had a problem of overreaching, self-doubt, and, sometimes, boredom with repertoire that I know would help me advance my technique but whose harmonies leave me feeling flat. I've also played scales, arpeggios, etc., as well as Blanchet exercises, which can be quite difficult. So I have an extremely modest appreciation of the very rudiments of playing.

I'd say that lessens the 'wow' factor. But not by too much smile. Congrats for sticking with a piece long enough to get to the end of it.

By the way, have you tried Burgmüller? I'm a huge fan. My teacher first introduced his opus 100 to me as "technical exercises that will make you feel like you're making music". So far, I haven't been disappointed.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Burgmüller 100/3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 19, 25
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2198804 - 12/16/13 08:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
lautreamont Offline

I can't really see myself playing much Burgmuller.

What really got me into music was hearing late Scriabin, and that richness of harmony is what truly excites me. My ultimate goals are to be able to play Scriabin, Roslavets, Feinberg, the Krein family, Szymanowski, Ravel, even some Sorabji. It's difficult finding works from those composers that aren't juvenilia but are doable for me. It's going to be a long slog for me to get to that level.

Right now I'm kind of focused on later works of Chopin, which, for some reason, resonate more with me. I can play some of his earlier works, like several preludes, without difficulty, but they don't touch me, so finishing learning the pieces is something I don't prioritize.

I also practice from Blanchet's "transcendental preludes", which are glorified exercises, at least in the right hand, but which often have interesting harmonies.

#2198997 - 12/17/13 08:06 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Paul1971, I'm intrigued by the living in a caravan...you mean literally a van? That would be close quarters. We lived in our RV for 5 months and it got really old. Made me realize how spoiled we are with the space of a home.

Welcome back Saranoya. Play long and prosper.

Lautreamont you have advanced level tastes for sure.

We had a piano party at my house last night and it was lovely. Christmas music. I performed the David Lanz "What child is this" and it went well...oh yeah a few glitches but mostly kept it moving and musical. My husband gave it his ultimate compliment "I almost fell asleep". At least HE says it's a compliment. A long time friend of ours has been listening to the group play for years and last night expressed his interest in playing. Our esteemed teacher assured him that he can, indeed, learn to play with our without natural talent. We're excited for him.

Love to learn

#2199015 - 12/17/13 08:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
AZ_Astro Offline

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
Finished exercise 100 of the Hannah Smith Sight Reading Exercises!

These exercises are perfect for me. I recognize that sight reading is slow to learn. But I like the pace of the book and the exercises.

#2199033 - 12/17/13 09:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
WiseBuff, I too went to a Christmas party for our local piano club. On top of our usual prepared performances we had people took turn to play Christmas music. Had professional singers, Flute and Clarinet players among us. Many of us can can do part singing, so it was extremely fun. I performed a mazurka first time for the club. It was my club debut:). I made a mistake at one spot but moved on with the piece. Interestingly it was not the most technically demanding spot. Overall I think I rendered it better than the recorded submission to the PC mazurka recital. Listening to the recording did help. The club meeting is held at a members house every month. Club members typically fill up 30 chairs in front of a grand piano. I'm just about the least skilled there. Over half are teachers. So they sit still and listen to performances intently. It's like a college piano jury when I was minoring in music many many years ago. So you can imagine what a relief that was for me to complete my little mazurka among such like a full set of Schubert fantasie (yep that wanderer stuff), Beethoven Op 26 (sonata no 12 a flat major) and other big pieces. It's kind of addictive. I now cannot wait for next time.
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2199094 - 12/17/13 11:59 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
torquenale Offline

Loc: Italy
I generally use Safari, and everything is fine...

#2199124 - 12/17/13 12:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Another busy week here in AOTW.... Welcome back Saranoya!
We missed you.

Welcome to the newcomers- it is great to "see" so many new faces smile

Rmaple - congrats on your new baby - I bet you're not going to be on line much for the next few weeks!

The last few weeks I just can't keep up with all the posts - I'll try to get back to my regular routine after (or perhaps during ) the holidays!

My AOTW was to play REALLY WELL for my teacher today! I had made significant improvements on the 2nd movement (Clementi OP 36, N2) and the middle of the third. He hadn't heard me play the third at all for a few weeks so there was quite a change. As I've said before, he's very sparing with his praise so when he says "Good, much better" that's my gold star for the week. Over the holidays I've got to work at slowing down a bit and getting rid of the tension and also working on the dynamics. This will be my piece for the recital in Feb. Gasp I've just committed to it!!!!

smile

I gave him some of my homemade Christmas cake as a gift today. smile

#2199141 - 12/17/13 01:26 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
lautreamont Offline

WiseBuff, if only my fingers were as "advanced" as my taste!

Thankfully, there are some pieces that are achievable for me. I can slog through a single prelude by Grigory Krein, but the chromaticism of the chords becomes so intense that it's impossible for me to sightread without stops and starts, and just as hard to remember. That's something that just takes a bit of persistence. Roslavets has a fairly new edition by Schott of some easier, smaller works, but that are still at the upper limit of my ability. There are some pieces in late Scriabin I think can play but which I refuse to play for the moment, not wanting to taint them with my limited technique--I know I can get through them, but that's not what they deserve.

So for the moment, I'm simply building myself up, doing as many exercises as possible, focusing on my problem areas (an extensive list!), and learning Chopin. It's interesting now to compare how work is different in getting something I've learned to be performance quality, compared to actually learning a work. Different parts of the brain are engaged.

#2199261 - 12/17/13 04:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
paul1971 Offline

Wisebuff, yes I upgraded a few months ago from a tent to a caravan, it is only meant to be temporary due to my current circumstances. The caravan is 15 feet long so not huge. The only problem with the dp is having to set it up when I want to play it due to lack of space. Still, had awesome session tonight nearly cracked the can can, fave song to play is blow the man down though Will try to do some recordings. How do you guys/gals record and upload do you do it on your smartphones?

#2199272 - 12/17/13 04:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Paul1971, recording all depends on what you are technically capable of so recording to a smart phone is fine. Personally for my recording (and I know a few other use this method) I record direct from my dp to Audacity (free program) and if I want a video I will use my wife's digital camera and match the audio and video into one file using Windows Movie Maker.

#2199410 - 12/17/13 09:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
My AOTW is lining up an interview with a teacher for lessons. Her credentials sound pretty good--the only red flag is she talked *a lot* when I called her about lessons. So we'll see.

Next up is to contact a few more teachers for interviews.

Wish me luck!

#2199424 - 12/17/13 09:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
earlofmar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Stubbie
My AOTW is lining up an interview with a teacher for lessons. Her credentials sound pretty good--the only red flag is she talked *a lot* when I called her about lessons. So we'll see.

Wish me luck!

good luck finding a teacher Stubbie. My teacher is a little talkative but sometimes that makes the lesson all the brighter. When I feel it is going on too long I swing back to conversation around the piece we are studying

#2199724 - 12/18/13 01:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lautreamont]
lautreamont Offline

I just learned my second ever piece, prelude 1 from serie II of Blanchet's 64 preludes. A year ago I told myself I wanted to play it, but the double arpeggios, stretches, and rotations that the hand has to do in the piece were giving me fits. I tried it again two days ago and thought it was doable, if a little masochistic. Currently I can play it at 3/4 speed ("poco vicace") without an enormous amount of errors. At full speed, it's kind of iffy right now, both in accuracy and dynamics, but I'll get there.

It's another confidence boost for me. I've daydreamed about playing my way through the 64 preludes, but after stuttering on two, it seemed like this was pure fantasy on my part. There's been some shift in me lately, where I know that if I put the work in, I can see the results. Before, despite practicing and improvising, it was difficult to see where I was improving, or if I was improving at all. Now, with actually learning pieces through, there's a way to measure improvement, which is both a relief and exciting.

#2199810 - 12/18/13 05:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: lautreamont]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff

We had a piano party at my house last night and it was lovely. Christmas music. I performed the David Lanz "What child is this" and it went well...oh yeah a few glitches but mostly kept it moving and musical. My husband gave it his ultimate compliment "I almost fell asleep". At least HE says it's a compliment.

Well, congrats for organising the party, and congrats for playing your husband to sleep (?). He sure has an interesting way of showing his excitement!

Originally Posted By: AZ_Astro

Finished exercise 100 of the Hannah Smith Sight Reading Exercises!

I admire you for sticking with it long enough to get to 100. Has it helped your sight reading at all?

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl

Club members typically fill up 30 chairs in front of a grand piano. I'm just about the least skilled there. Over half are teachers.

Be proud that you can hold your own at all, in a crowd like that!

Originally Posted By: casinitaly

My AOTW was to play REALLY WELL for my teacher today!

Ups and downs, Cheryl. That's the name of the game. I'm happy for you that this week was an 'up' week. Now you get to go into your Christmas break with a good feeling about yourself and your playing.

[...]

Wish me luck!

Good luck, Stubbie! Let us know how it goes.

There's been some shift in me lately, where I know that if I put the work in, I can see the results.

I think maybe at first, you set your sights too high. Even if you *had* put in consistent effort every day, it might have taken you many months (or longer) to learn to play some of the stuff you were dreaming of. But all of the bits and pieces you've been playing (along with exercises and scales and whatnot) have slowly been building skills, which means that now, while there remains much work to be done, you are beginning to develop the ability to actually get through some of your dream pieces. This is great! Happy for you.

If you want to keep the virtuous circle going, though, I think you need to play some 'easier' pieces along with the big stuff. That way, even if it does take you many months to learn to play something that's on your 'dream list', you'll still make steady, noticeable progress on the other stuff. That will keep you motivated, so that you don't go weeks or months between practice sessions due to motivation problems.

Free advice you didn't ask for, so feel free to ignore. I know it works for me, though!

Oh, and P.S.: thanks for all the welcoming words! They warm my heart.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2200006 - 12/19/13 05:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
@Ragdoll - Recording is good to detect some minor errors and to improve your playing. And I'm sure PW members will love to listen your Xmas piece.
@earlofmar - Congratulations for your 1st year!!!! This is an AOTW, for sure!
@rnaple - Wow, that's great. Enjoy your new Kawai!
@Palmpirate - So much enthusiasm!!!!! I'm happy with your happiness smile
@FarmGirl - Welcome back FarmGirl! Looking forward to listen to your Chopin. I love Chopin...
@Saranoya - Welcome back Saranoya! That's a great AOTW, or, a victory. Get better soon!
@lautreamont - Playing Chopin's Mazurka as the "first" piece is quite amazing... Congrats!
@paul1971 - Welcome to PW! I found that playing every day is a very good approach, even it's only for a couple of minutes.
@adultpianist - Revisiting old pieces is great. I love to do it!
@piano_deb - How was your party?
@JimF - Google Chrome: OK, IE: OK, Firefox:OK... No problems here.
@WiseBuff - Wow, a Xmas Piano Party? Lot's of fun, right?
@AZ_Astro - Ok, ok, I promise I'll start to do some sight reading exercises... You're right.
@casinitaly - Wow, that's great! Congratulations! Looking forward to listen your Clementi! And to eat your Xmas cake, too smile
@Stubbie - Good luck!

My AOTW: I've been filming in some places in Lisbon. The idea is to do small video notes about what I do when I go to a music store or to an hotel - I can't resist playing in every place I go smile -. It has been real fun!
And tomorrow I'm going to do a kind of gig with a violoncellist player - he's the other protagonist of the episode -, so we're going to a very reputable music store in Lisbon, and they want to film our first meeting there - I do not know him personally -. The question is that he plays regularly with a very good Portuguese musician (Rodrigo Leão: Wikipedia link ) so it will be a huge challenge to do a gig with him... Well, at least we have the same musical taste.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#2200017 - 12/19/13 07:03 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
FarmGirl, your local club sounds very advanced but then so are you. Is the group all musicians or do you include your spouses?
Did you do some Christmas music too?

Love to learn

#2200079 - 12/19/13 09:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Wisebuff, I'm only advanced in years being around piano. It's only lately I started to improve in my technique. Yes, those people are so advanced that it was a bit embarrassing to play my little piece. Anyway, I learned over the years there is only one thing you could do to gain musician's appreciation. It's not the level of the piece you play but how musical your performance was. So that's what I focused on and I was happy that it was well received in spite of a couple of wrong notes. Spouses can go but people don't usually bring them. Only so few non musicians can endure 3 hours of hard core classical piano performance even with intermission and food + drinks afterwards. I said hardcore because it often includes the whole movement of Beethoven's late sonata, Schubert's sonata (long), Albeniz's Iberia, etc. I heard several duets as well with piano and accompaniment with other instruments. It was incredibly fun for me but My husband would not last so long.

Many people took turns to share christmas music selectiin during the intermission and food and drinks. We sang in parts around the piano with wine in our hand. Was very fun. It gives me a goal to practice.

Funny thing is that i am now invited to join other classical music group in my city. This one is mostly chamber music and accompanying other instruments. These groups including piano club are in existence for over 10 years. I was searching a group like this for a while but never heard of it before. It's not advertised and basically invitation only. It is understandable because it is held in private homes.

Edited by FarmGirl (12/19/13 09:57 AM)
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

#2200092 - 12/19/13 10:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Writing the post above, I could not help reflecting on the year. This was a change year for me. Hope you can find similar performance opportunities in your city. It's out there. I was searching over 10 years as well.

September 2012 - I changed teachers from a person in my neighborhood to a professor (Dr) in piano performance who I actually knew 20 years ago.

January 2013 - started to join my teachers performance studio class

March 2013 - hosted piano party in my house with piano forum members and other piano friends

March / May - mud term and end of the semester performance in college

May - my Japanese piano friend told me to introduced me to a well known amateur pianist in my city, went to his home party - he introduced me to a cultural group that holds "salon meetings" in people's homes.

June - paid the club due and started to going to the salons since there is not very much to do during the summer in Arizona. Met a piano club member and invited to go to August meeting.

August - first time attending the meeting. Was blown away by the level of the performers and serious atmosphere.

Oct school mud term (I missed the end of semester due to family visit)

December - my first performance at the club.

#2200105 - 12/19/13 10:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
FarmGirl - you are sure leading a piano life! I'm so glad for you doing the things you really want to. You seem to have such an intense work life that it's nice to know you get piano time for you!

Cathy

#2200169 - 12/19/13 01:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
It's not the level of the piece you play but how musical your performance was.

Truer words have never been written.

#2200176 - 12/19/13 01:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Saranoya]
lautreamont Offline

Thanks. That is exactly the route I need to take.

I've really approached the instrument wrong. My girlfriend was a performance major and had been impressed at what I could play, without ever taking a lesson or having instruction, but it was frustrating for both of us for me to play only so much of so many pieces. I never thought that I needed to slow down, that the problem was that my fingers weren't acclimated to certain figures that were new to me. I just needed to ease into things and not expect to do it all immediately.

Now that I know to approach things at less than concert speed at first, it's really affected my outlook. Right now I think the way forward to me is to learn two pieces at the same time, one which is well within my abilities (like the Chopin A minor waltz or op 63. no 3) and one that stretches my abilities, so that, at any time, I'm extending my technique on one piece and honing musicality on another. Also the one piece gives me something to aim for, while the other gives me something more ready and immediately rewarding. An attempt to feel accomplishment in both striving towards my goals and developing a repertoire.

#2200337 - 12/19/13 05:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: jotur]

Originally Posted By: jotur
FarmGirl - you are sure leading a piano life! I'm so glad for you doing the things you really want to. You seem to have such an intense work life that it's nice to know you get piano time for you!

Cathy

Thank you Cathy,
Well I don't have kids. If I had a child I don't think it's possible to do both. I would have had to slow down. I used to envy people with kids but piano helped me to forget about it.

#2200457 - 12/19/13 10:16 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

I used to envy people with kids but piano helped me to forget about it.

LOL!!! As someone juggling kids & piano (and work), this absolutely cracked me up.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#2200879 - 12/21/13 08:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Having hyper-extended my 2 middle fingers last week, I was upset/fearful that practice would be hampered for awhile. I am so happy to report that hasn't been the case. I can practice 3 of the pieces I'm studying OK by just not fully stretching for the octaves (pain in palm) and just playing them at whichever pitch sounds best as one note for now. I hope this makes sense. That's my AOTW and I must say... YAY! laugh

Short 15 min sessions for now though, sometimes twice a day

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

#2200899 - 12/21/13 09:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Ragdoll]
SwissMS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Ragdoll- Ouch! That sounds painful! I am glad that you founds a way that you can continue to practice.

Farmgirl- You piano journey this year sounds wonderful. The piano party group that you have become part of will continue to challenge you to improve your skills. It is great to meet people who share your love of piano!

Lautreamont- It sounds like you have a good plan going forward. I think a certain synergy comes from learning multiple pieces at the same time.

CarlosCC- I love hearing about how this upcoming TV show is deveoloping. This is a a wonderful fairy-tale of well deserved success!

Stubbie- I hope your new teacher works out!

Casinitaly- Congratulations on playing really well for your teacher. That is always an achievement! I really like Clementi 36 2. I can't wait to hear your rendition in the next recital!

Wisebuff - Congratulations on your Piano Party. These are so fun. I started holding them for my teacher last summer and I have had a blast with them. It has really decreased my nervousness when playing in front of others.

Saranoya - I love Burgmuller too! I am working on Opus 109 #14 the Storm right now. Love it!

My AOTW is getting both my Joplin and my Mendelssohn pieces to performance tempo. I still have a couple so sticky spots in the Joplin, but I think it will be ready to start recording by the time I return to Switzerland in January. Of course, once my teacher hears both pieces, I am sure there will be some adjustments to be made!

European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2200974 - 12/21/13 12:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Hi I finally have time to comment:). Sorry if I missed anyone.

Ragdoll - be careful. I hurt my finger long time ago during my first attempt to get back to piano. Understand the feeling.

Lautreamont- Lots of nice pieces. Endulge in it and have fun when you can.

CarlosCC- nice to hear that you are doing great. We may have a TV star among us. Yay! Be careful what you disclose on TV. I know a pilot got into a small trouble telling a reporter that he sneaked in his digital piano in the cockpit. It was not very well received.

Stubbie- I pray you can get the best teacher for you. A new teacher made a difference for me

Casinitaly- Sounds like you are in the "making progress" phase. Not sure about u but I go though "only solitary effort without visible progress" phase and "making progress" phase going back and forth.

Wisebuff - Love to join your piano party someday. Sounds like so much fun.

Saranoya - belated congrats for your recital performace. No one can beat you for the achievement area. You are musically gifted too. Wish you a musical and happy new year.

SwissMS - i have been impressed with your performance. So beautiful and sensitively played that it often put me to shame. You don't seem to be satisfied with half-ass Job! Congrats on bringing your Joplin and Mendelssohn pieces to performance speed.

Tallguy- yeah I wish there is a kids rental service or something like that. I had to be content with my doggies. I bought a kids piano for my girl dog Emma when she showed a strong interest in it when she was a puppy. Now she uses the piano for mommy calling device. No more playing a tune (sort of. ..)

#2201039 - 12/21/13 04:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA

Wish me luck!

I had my interview with the first teacher and unfortunately, I don't think it's a good match. I told her I wanted to do mostly classical with attention to technique and her suggestion to me was to teach me improvising/fake book types of (non-classical) pieces. It's what she plays and what I suspect she is most comfortable teaching. Different focus and goals--that's okay. At least it made for an easy decision on my part to keep looking.

I did some more digging for teachers in the area and found a few more, which I will contact, but not till after the holidays, as I suspect most are off work for the week.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement!

#2201068 - 12/21/13 05:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Saranoya Offline
500 Post Club Member

Well, it's that time of the week again ... or almost, anyway. Unfortunately, I have nothing much to report. I'm making slow, slow progress on the Chopin Nocturne. I added four measures this week, and that was while neglecting my other pieces to a shameful degree.

In my defence, I also handed in three research papers, and was meeting with classmates until midnight three out of five nights to get things squared away before the end of the semester.

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I've been filming in some places in Lisbon.

So that means, by the time we get to Lisbon this summer for EPP 2014, we'll be meeting a celebrity, Carlos? wink. Your TV program sounds seriously cool. I'd wish you luck at the music store, but by the time I'm writing this, I guess it's already over. Let us know how it went!

Funny thing is that i am now invited to join other classical music group in my city. This one is mostly chamber music and accompanying other instruments.

Funny, FarmGirl. You keep telling us you're "only advanced in years", and that it's "embarrassing to play your little piece in the midst of so much greatness" (or words to that effect). But then, every time you do something like this, you seem to be taking on more musical projects right afterwards. Apparently some of those advanced players you were hanging around with seem to have thought you were doing pretty well, for being "only advanced in years".

Point being: sometimes it's OK to give yourself a pat on the back. I know that's hard for you (because, as someone pointed out in this thread a few months ago, you and I are two peas in a pod in that regard). Just trust me and do it. Every once in a while, a tiny sliver of what may seem like arrogance to you (but would probably just be seen as confidence by others) can be good for you!

Right now I think the way forward to me is to learn two pieces at the same time, one which is well within my abilities (like the Chopin A minor waltz or op 63. no 3) and one that stretches my abilities, so that, at any time, I'm extending my technique on one piece and honing musicality on another.

If, after a couple years of playing intermittently, the Chopin A minor Waltz is well within your abilities, then I reinstate my earlier 'wow'. Imagine what you could do if you practiced daily ... or better yet, hired a good teacher, and *then* practiced daily under their guidance.

Will we be hearing you play Chopin (or anything else that strikes your fancy) in the next ABF recital?

Originally Posted By: Ragdoll
I can practice 3 of the pieces I'm studying OK by just not fully stretching for the octaves (pain in palm) and just playing them at whichever pitch sounds best as one note for now.

Hurray for finding a way around the obstacles life throws you, and continuing to practice no matter what. I commend you -- and I'm also very happy for you, because I know how important that is.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
My AOTW is getting both my Joplin and my Mendelssohn pieces to performance tempo.

I've never quite managed to get two pieces performance-ready at the same time. I always seem to have to focus intently on one for a while, and then put that one on the back burner until I have a second one ready. So you have my admiration for doing two at once. Any advice you wish to give to someone who might want to learn how to do that? smile

Oh, and by the way: I might be done with Burgmüller opus 100 by Easter or so. I don't know if you know opus 100, but if you do ... you think I could conceivably move on from that to opus 109? I've been meaning to ask my teacher what to do after I finish this book, but I haven't yet, because then she might think I'm trying to rush through it for the sake of getting through.

No one can beat you for the achievement area.

Oh, I'm quite sure there are people around here who are quietly running circles around me in every conceivable way. They're just not nearly as eager as I am to talk about it on the internet wink.

I told her I wanted to do mostly classical with attention to technique and her suggestion to me was to teach me improvising/fake book types of (non-classical) pieces. It's what she plays and what I suspect she is most comfortable teaching.

It seems to me like this is something a teacher should be clear about either on their website or on the phone. It's such an obvious reason to decide this teacher isn't for you that it really seems like a waste of time on both your parts for this to have gotten to the interview stage.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your continuing search for a teacher.

Currently Playable
Bach 846, 926, 930
Beethoven 27/2 mvt. 1
Chopin 72/1
Clementi 36/1
Grieg 12/1, 7
Tchaikovsky 39/9

Future
Burgmüller 109
Bartok Sz 56
Mozart K331

#2201101 - 12/21/13 06:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Saranoya, hahaha, I think people like me as a person. That's all and definitely not because of my playing. I am a good networker (coming from my work) and wind up getting gigs for musicians. If I may brag about it, I got 2 gigs for my piano teacher and working on getting one for my hubby's viola teacher.

#2201141 - 12/21/13 08:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Ragdoll Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
Ragdoll - be careful. I hurt my finger long time ago during my first attempt to get back to piano. Understand the feeling.

Yes, I'm trying to not go overboard but so far all seems tolerable. I cautiously (and slowly) played Come Back to Sorrento today and ran through Let it Snow a couple times. Thanks for your concern. smile

Just be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Page 194 of 238 < 1 2 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (0987654321, Anticlock, AZNpiano, 14 invisible), 1015 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327689 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission