2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 265 of 540 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 539 540
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by casinitaly
In a way I agree with your teacher. I don't think anyone should be obliged to participate in a recital - and I don't think you should be obliged to play without music if you want your music!

Recitals can be pretty dismal occasions. But we see many reports here of the sense of accomplishment they can bring. Same with exams.

A good teacher (and a good student - never forget that part) constantly extends the student's "comfort zone" with minimum recourse to confrontation or obligation.

But playing an instrument is an activity which becomes pretty pointless unless there's an occasional requirement to "come up with the goods"!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Aww, sad for the recital heartbreaks.

When I took adult group class, our recitals were a blast. There was only one rule: "YOU MAY NOT TALK." We could stop, start, go back, skip, start over again, stop, slow down, speed up, and whatever else, but just no talking.

My accomplishment is that I got a new job. I haven't quite gotten rid of my old job yet, and this week of 2 full times is really more work than I am comfortable with.

I hope the new gig leaves me enough energy for the piano.

*exhausted*

Learner

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Malkin congrats on the new job - and good luck holding down both jobs for the next 2 weeks! Yikes!

I think that the "no talking" rule is a good one.
My first teacher really worked at drumming that into me - no talking - and no making faces smile

If somebody messes up a little, chances are the others may not really notice- and if they mess up a lot, well, everyone notices--- in both cases talking about it is just an unnecessary/further distraction.

If we work on playing through the rough spots they become easier and easier to manage (well, that's the theory, I'm still testing it out!)

Edited to add: my real achievement this week is getting a good recordin go my Grieg piece before heading off for 2 weeks!
Yippee!

Last edited by casinitaly; 08/24/13 05:35 AM. Reason: feeling pleased with myself? :)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just checking in here to say hi to everyone. No real accomplishments except getting back to the bench after a week on the road, plus trying to catch up on the ABF recital. The break was a setback for my early-stage pieces, but actually improved my play on the one that I am polishing. That was a pleasant surprise. laugh

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
My achievement is that I survived the week. Never knew there were so many fine piano players in town. I went to the local piano club event with our own Carey and several others from my teachers studio. I only took people with 40+ years of playing experience. I had a hunch that the piano club people are high caliber players. Every time I call for detail people tell me something like "oh I'm teaching a student now can I call you back.". I enjoyed the night and would go there every month. It will provide me with good opportunity to prepare for exams and on stage performance with amateur pianists in Japan next year. But it was kinda like piano jury. But I vowed to continue my own piano party too. Hey we need a farm league piano party too. Where pianists perform anything they want, repeat if they screw up and play anything impromptu.

I'm leaving for Maine tomorrow. Now I frankly do not know why I need this. When I signed up for it last year, I wanted to have playing opportunities and meet real life piano friends. Now it's the opposite. All my friends are piano friends. It seems like pianists keep popping up from anywhere. I like it but I think I had to contain it in a manageable level.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Week 76: I work on a new song, Hummingbird. It is a simple child-like tune. Separately, I scratch out some lyrics to a another song. This second song may be too depressing to get it to where it is song (vs. a first draft of some lyrics).

I attend the church cafe night. There are two pianists, two singer-songwriters. After clean up, and the crowd is gone, I play Avenue D on the grand piano on stage. I get it started okay, but falter on the high notes.

I do not envy those that are trying to make a living at music. One of the songwriters joked about his first published song, that the royalties were enough to buy a single guitar string. It is tough out there. Just to get any song published and covered tends to have lottery-like odds for a person without strong industry connections.

Have a good week everyone. Keep those reports coming.

I managed to play REALLY slowly !
It is something I wasn't able to. Reaching a certain level of "slowness" I wasn't able to hear the music anymore and I got lost and suddenly, today, I finally managed to slow down enough to play a couple of bars that were giving me trouble and still hear the music despite the slow pace.
It's funny how hard it can be to slow down a lot smile

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Malkin - The "do not talk" rule is a good one. Unfortunately for me, I haven't learned it yet. My teacher threatened me with duck tape. Now I can keep my mouth shut most of the time. Congratulations on your new job!

JimF - I am glad you finally joined the recital! It is addicting after the first one!

Casinitaly - Congratulations on getting a good Grieg recording. It sounds like you had some challenges with this piece, and mastering it is a great accomplishment.

Sand Tiger - I admire your talent to compose music! Your work is very nice.

FarmGirl - It sounds like you have discovered/created quite a wonderful social circle around the piano. That is my goal as well!

My achievement this week is getting good recordings for the Grieg recital, but it turns out I am not as finished with my Grieg pieces as I thought. I found out today I will be playing them in an adult recital at the end of September. I won't have anything else that will be ready by then, so I will just keep polishing the two Grieg pieces. Fortunately I really enjoy them!

Fall is "back to school time" so my teacher loaded me up with new repertoire that I am excited about. My only continuing piece besides the Grieg is the Bach Invention. We added a Kuhlau Sonatina and a couple of etudes for technique work, and a Villa-Lobos piece for challenge. The Villa-Lobos is not like anything I have ever done before, so it will be interesting. My teacher is from Brazil, and knows his music very well. It should be fun!

R
R
My achievement of the week!
I registered with PW and this is my first post!

Hello everybody.

Rik

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Rik, and welcome to the AOTW thread. Have you been playing a long time? What kind of music are you working on now? You can celebrate anything here, no matter how small. We love baby-steps at AOTW....

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Rik51
My achievement of the week!
I registered with PW and this is my first post!

Hello everybody.

Rik

You do not know what you have gotten into smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
A
A
In the past I have talked way too much at my lessons. Especially when I feel like I've accomplished something I can't shut up. I took lessons with one person who loved to talk as much as I did. And she was a major clock watcher so we would gab for most of my lesson and then she would tell me to pack up. Starting with a new teacher this fall I am afraid of falling into bad habits. My experience has been that with many teachers if you like to talk they will indulge you. So I have to be really rigorous with myself this time around.

R
R
Thanks for the welcome.

I started playing about four years ago. At my first lesson my piano teacher asked me what I wanted to play, and didn't flinch at all when I replied 'Pictures at an Exhibition'. Needless to say, I haven't started that piece yet, but I keep the first page of the score on the piano to remind me where I'm going (I wish!!).
I'm currently working on MacDowells 'To a Wild Rose' and a Bach minuet in B minor ( no 1 from French Suite No 3).

I've never taken any exams, but I'm planning on attempting ABRSM grade 5 next year.
Definately be on this board if I pass!

Rik

R
R
Hi Alans
I used to do talk too much.
Now I have a strategy.
I give myself one whole lesson every year where I don't play the piano at all. Instead we talk music, review progress, consider new pieces, I hear my teacher play, and what she is learning. We talk pianos, and argue about my digital.
I figure one lesson a year is worth it to keep me focused for all the rest.

Rik

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee.... You're not supposed to talk at lessons?.... .... ... Doh!

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
J
J
My achievement this week is nailing a few REALLY tricky sections of my two pieces, and not giving up until I could. I don't have a teacher so am pretty proud smile
(They are technically more difficult than I've ever done even when I had lessons back in the dark ages hehe)

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jessiebear
My achievement this week is nailing a few REALLY tricky sections of my two pieces, and not giving up until I could. I don't have a teacher so am pretty proud smile
(They are technically more difficult than I've ever done even when I had lessons back in the dark ages hehe)

Congrats JessieBear, and welcome!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Back at home. It's seems like one step forward and two teps back with all this travelling. But I tried my Chopin Nocturne op27 no2 with the metronome at 55 for the semiquavers, not the dottend crochet... very slow...
and i made it throught the first page! Will I ever get through the next page...

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
oh, those typos! so sorry if that offends. rather like wrong notes! I blame that ipad keyboard not my fingers!

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
AOTW - I completed Summerkeys performance. I did Mozart 2 piano performance. My husband loved it. I also performed Bach f minor prelude from book II of the WTF and my first ever chamber music. Especially the mozart piece was such an energetic piece that I almost passed out after the performance. I am drinking wine and stuffing my face with snacks today after a full course lobster meal. I know I have to go back to the grind of middle management once I go home. But life is good right now right here (saying so while taking another sip of wine).

Page 265 of 540 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission