Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 92 of 231 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 230 231 >
Topic Options
#1942603 - 08/14/12 02:30 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
pg2 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
@ SwissMs

what a perfectly wonderful tip... I did not know that
thanks

Edited by pg2 (08/14/12 07:38 PM)
Edit Reason: word left out

Proud owner of a 1917 Chas. Brothers Grand Piano named "Goldy" She sings like a bird. I lucked out Big Time.

Korg SP 250

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1942689 - 08/14/12 05:11 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: pg2]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
SwissMs - LOL, I'm often a pedal clunker too. My teacher has had me work on it and it is better, but now and again there it is " KLUNK". Once you work on it, you will find the sound really annoys you when it happens occasionally. grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#1942801 - 08/14/12 08:56 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
My teacher was happy enough with my progress on Melodie that she thinks I can rise to the challenge of Erster Verlust. I am SO excited!

#1942810 - 08/14/12 09:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Guys.. I have been MIA. I am in the middle of changing teachers. Never thought I do such a thing like this to my dear teacher who has been nothing but kind. I feel so bad, horrible but my mind is made up.

What happened was... I went CA to see my girlfriend. We haven't seen each other for 17 years. She was also my first piano teacher in this country. Ok, there was one briefly before her who got married and moved away in a month. Anyway, when I saw my first teacher, I have not played the piano probably 15 years. Some of you may relate. I felt like my fingers were someone else's fingers. It was numb and stiff at the same time. I also had bad habit acquired when I was a kid. She helped me to get rid of those bad habit. But I really did not know how good she was. I was in college and she was in getting her DMA. Her resume says her recording was played in NPR and was a finalist in a number of competitions. Perhaps her talent was wasted on me since I was still engaging in finger independence and all kinds of rudimentary stuff. Our ages were close, we became incredibly good friends. In fact, we became too close to concentrate on piano lessons at times (LOL). Move the clock forward.. When I was at her place 2 weeks ago, I played the Rach 23-5. It was like a master class. On the spot, in 5 seconds, she completely changed the music. She helped me to fix some area that was very challenging too. I play it, in her way, it's incredibly simple, easy, effective and I can play the passage at speed without pain in my hands. Seeing the surprise in my face, she smiled like a mischievous little girl. She and I played (she played and I faked) Brahms Intermezzo Op 118. Was fun. She played so well. It's not only beautiful but ecstatic. I felt and heard the beauty this time. I don't think I heard the music before in the same way I do now where I appreciate melodies, counter melodies, cannons, how she played the repeat differently bring up the inner voices second time.. She had two pianos, one Baldwin and the other Mason Hamlin that she is babysitting. Everything was like a dream. I felt completely enchanted with the music. One thing hasn't changed was our talking. We talked every night until 3 AM!

With doctorate, she only charges a little more than my teacher. She has a piano performance degree but I cannot even compare the two. I feel bad saying this but it was night and day. While I thank her for helping me to get the basics, I can't help thinking that it might be good time to change teachers. Lately I have a feeling that she does not seem to know what to teach the pieces I study any more. She seems to encourage me to study certain pieces she studied when she was in college, which is years ago.

I decided to go to a professor at a community college. I know her since 17 years ago as well. She was in the same doctorate program with my friend. Now she is a DMA also. I took a few lessons from her after my friend moved away... and the rest is a history. Life happened and I did not think I have time to be serious with piano.. So I started lessons with a neighborhood piano teacher not with a DMA. It was a right decision at that time since I need to be taught basics.

Hope everyone is doing great. I will report back to you after my first lesson.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1942853 - 08/14/12 10:08 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
FarmGirl, that's great news! It's good to know what's possible, and now you know what to look for. Hope your new teacher is all you could wish for.

#1942889 - 08/14/12 10:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Oh, Farm Girl, what a treasure! To be so excited again, with all the possibilities opening up! It's wonderful to hear that you've found this. Have a great time!

Cathy

#1944588 - 08/17/12 04:39 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
MaryAnn - You are a brave one. I remember when I finally got a pass on Melodie....wanted to give Mr.Schumann a bit of a rest (although his music is beautiful). Can't wait to hear you playing "first loss". aka Erster Verlust.

Farmgirl - Really exciting to think that you might be on the verge of a new leap forward in technique when reunited with your old teacher. And how great is it that you would have instant rapport with a "new" teacher?

My teacher has recently recommended that I take one day off from practice each week. I still play the piano that day, just not my normal practice routine. She thinks my brain will do better with a day of rest from constantly pushing on with practice. I don't know, to tell the truth, but I'm trying to give it a shot. Funny thing, I still have an overwhelming urge to warm up with scales and hannon. But then trying to just read a few things, noodle around, play some old jazz tunes....whatever. Does anyone else have a teacher that has told them to not practice? confused

Estonia L190 #7284

#1944633 - 08/17/12 05:36 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
I have to share this:
My company is organising the regular Anual Meeting (next November). It's a meeting, usualy in a large auditorium, where there is a couple of hours dedicated to the activities of employees on free time (voluntary work presentations, paintings, readings, and son on).
Yesterday, I received a call from the HR department. Someone told them that I can play piano (?) and they want me to play during this meeting. The scenary is: a stage with a piano and +500 people assisting.
Sincerely, I don't know what to do...

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1944638 - 08/17/12 05:42 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
I have to share this:
My company is organising the regular Anual Meeting (next November). It's a meeting, usualy in a large auditorium, where there is a couple of hours dedicated to the activities of employees's on free time (voluntary work presentations, paintings, readings, and son on).
Yesterday, I received a call from the HR department. Someone told them that I can play piano (?) and they want me to play during this meeting. The scenary is: a stage with a piano and +500 people assisting.

What an amazing opportunity! Terrifying though...

But at least you can feel confident in the knowledge that most will know nothing about piano and will think you're amazing whatever you do smile
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1944668 - 08/17/12 06:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Toastie]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Toastie
I have to share this:
My company is organising the regular Anual Meeting (next November). It's a meeting, usualy in a large auditorium, where there is a couple of hours dedicated to the activities of employees's on free time (voluntary work presentations, paintings, readings, and son on).

What an amazing opportunity! Terrifying though...

But at least you can feel confident in the knowledge that most will know nothing about piano and will think you're amazing whatever you do smile

Yeah, I know that; I've to think about it. I never thought that I could play for so many people. I don't know if I'm prepared for that. Thanks anyway for your support (I'll need TONS of it). crazy

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1945000 - 08/18/12 11:14 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

I don't know it it happens to you guys but I am very sleepy and tired lately every day. Work keeps coming and coming with increasing responsibility. I have to study for a certification exam at work too. Changed piano teacher (she is great by the way), changed church, started Chinese language lessons and wound up increasing the number of friends. Not sure why I am ranting here.. I am a bit overwhelmed. Maybe because I have a party today and not happy that I cannot practice. Instead I have to cook & clean. I don't know why but I am really cheap. I should cater food and/or hire someone to clean my house. But I feel bad about spending money for something I can do.. Have you felt like that? Is there any cure for this?
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1945008 - 08/18/12 11:30 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
I don't know it it happens to you guys but I am very sleepy and tired lately every day. Work keeps coming and coming with increasing responsibility. I have to study for a certification exam at work too. Changed piano teacher (she is great by the way), changed church, started Chinese language lessons and wound up increasing the number of friends. Not sure why I am ranting here.. I am a bit overwhelmed. Maybe because I have a party today and not happy that I cannot practice. Instead I have to cook & clean. I don't know why but I am really cheap. I should cater food and/or hire someone to clean my house. But I feel bad about spending money for something I can do.. Have you felt like that? Is there any cure for this?

Sometimes things arround us take control of our day/life. That's a sign that you have too much things to take care/think. The trick is to invert that situation: YOU should take the control of your day, instead of "things" taking control of you. Otherwise you get stressed.
The word "No!" is an ally and money can be a good help.
Take care.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1945054 - 08/18/12 12:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Sometimes things arround us take control of our day/life. That's a sign that you have too much things to take care/think. The trick is to invert that situation: YOU should take the control of your day, instead of "things" taking control of you. Otherwise you get stressed.
The word "No!" is an ally and money can be a good help.
Take care.

++1 thumb

Farmgirl, take some payoff for all your hard work NOW and be good to yourself. Enjoy your piano, enjoy your dogs, and take time for yourself.

Carlos- go for it! Play for 500 people. You play so well, and it would be a great experience!

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#1945075 - 08/18/12 01:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
CarlosCC, what exciting news. You'll do fine.

JimF, you mentioned a while back practicing scales in two, three, four note bursts. I do that. I think some others on the forum do too, as that is likely where I got it from. Though mine are far from perfect, I do different kinds of scale sets to help with hand independence.

Week 23: A good week for me. I feel like I am getting back up to speed after my two weeks away. I created a blog to reference all my uploads, so new people can hear my old uploads and I can find them easier too.

http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
(this is now my signature my_piano_uploads)

In my new piano blog, I credit the beginner composition thread on this forum as inspiration for my new tune, Simply Beautiful (in C major). The direct link is:

https://www.box.com/s/1ad6bf1f08acbe2ce1a

It has a glissando, which is a first for me both in terms of playing one, and writing one. I mentioned a few weeks back, learning what the word meant and wanting to write something that uses the technique.

Now that the recital upload is behind me, I work on recording some of my short early original pieces with the new used Sony voice recorder that I bought last week. I have more editing to do, and more recording. I plan to wait and upload a batch of five pieces together, and use a title of “five easy pieces” for a medley. I still find it best to record with a direct link from the keyboard to the device without any audio feedback. I think that one reason for this is that if I can't hear anything, I am more focused, and more likely to complete a play through, rather than stop and erase and start over.

The ABF recital is the big event. As usual, I feel small and inadequate when listening to the many complex pieces performed so well. I have to again remind myself that the ABF survey indicates that only about half of survey respondents participate in the recital. Then there is likely another 80% that only read the forum and never post at all, much less record and upload. I remind myself that there are those with much more experience, and those that practice much more than my hour a day. The recital submitters tend to be a self-selective group, where the better pianists tend to be much more likely to participate.

I went window shopping at Sam Ash (a big music store chain). Of the models that I tried, the Casio Privia series seemed most attractive to my ears and budget. I am still thinking to wait until I have at least a year on my 61-key Yamaha NP11 before upgrading. Space and weight are big factors.

I am still reading the 50/90 challenge board and participating in a small way. I came upon some lyrics and a melody line came to me, and I could sing it easily. However, I couldn't find the notes on the piano, not even the key. At times, my mind wants to leap further than my skill and experience can take me. If I find that magic feather (ala Dumbo the elephant in the movie), I can make that leap.

#1945854 - 08/19/12 11:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

CarlosCC, good luck if you decide to go for it. It sounds like a great (but scary) opportunity!

FarmGirl: good luck with your new teacher. I hope your schedule gets less stressful.

SandTiger: I like reading about your journey each week. I have a Privia. I am hoping to graduate to an acoustic soon, but I'm waiting to hear about my contract at work, but I'm happy with the Privia so far.

#1945887 - 08/20/12 12:49 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

(cont.) I was interrupted mid-post

JimF: I'm probably a little crazy taking on another Schumann piece, especially since this one is harder. I'm so hooked on Schumann right now. I don't want to play anything else, because nothing else sounds so pretty. And... maybe my fingers like being tied in knots ;-)

About not practicing: I'm pretty sure my teacher would never ask that of me. When I was really busy in July, I barely practiced most days, and some days it was just a play through of the pieces I was learning or had learned recently.

#1946039 - 08/20/12 10:17 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryAnn]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
I played at the music store that rents piano practice rooms again today. I played a Yamaha grand that had a really soft touch, but I liked it. My teacher did not. Her upright Steinway is quite firm. Trills were so easy on this Yamaha- I could go on all day. I am really enjoying trying out different pianos each week.

My achievement this week is learning and memorizing the first two pages of the new nocturne I am working on, including the funky trill variations. The play out after the trills has three variations with three, five or four notes to unwind. Getting the rhythm right on all three variations took some work. So, I will call that an achievement. Of course, the hard part of this nocturne starts after the first two pages...

Working on:
Handel - Allemande in A Minor
Bach - Inv. #14
Beethoven - Sonata #79 2nd mvmt
Kuhlau op. 88 - 3

#1946060 - 08/20/12 10:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For those who know about the invitation to play in public:

Next Thursday we'll have a meeting with the HR director where she will explain what is the idea of the show. As far as I know, she extended the invitation to 4 more colleagues. We have:
- A pianist (me?)
- A drummer
- A bass
- A guitarist
- And a player of harmonica.

The mystery thickens up... What will it go from here?

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1946097 - 08/20/12 12:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CarlosCC]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
For those who know about the invitation to play in public:

Next Thursday we'll have a meeting with the HR director where she will explain what is the idea of the show. As far as I know, she extended the invitation to 4 more colleagues. We have:
- A pianist (me?)
- A drummer
- A bass
- A guitarist
- And a player of harmonica.

The mystery thickens up... What will it go from here?

Unless the HR person is a musician, I suggest you have an informal meeting with the other four first, and work out what you can offer her! Only one rule. Everyone may suggest things they CAN do. No-one may list things they CAN'T do :-)

#1946209 - 08/20/12 02:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Carlos -- I'd be petrified! But I'm still encouraging you to do it. thumb Do you think they want all five of you to play together? Now that would be something!

SwissMS -- that's the thing I really noticed when playing the grand at my lessons: how much easier the trills were than on my upright at home. It would be funny, because many times I'd come in for lessons saying I needed help with some trills or ornaments, and then when I'd demonstrate, I'd play them fine. Ahh, a Chopin Nocturne. Enjoy working on that!

Sand Tiger -- Do you mean that you have it set up so that you do not hear at all what you're playing?! Wouldn't that be almost like painting blindfolded? I can understand that it might help with the nerve issue, but everything that I've been taught has been that you have to listen to what your playing so you can make the necessary adjustments. Besides, then you miss out on the enjoyment of hearing your music as you make it (one of the best parts of playing, IMO).

JimF -- My teacher hasn't told me to take days off of practice, but it does sound like a nice break - to just play what you want and have fun with it. Let us know if you think it's helping you.

At my teacher's suggestion, I'm taking a little break from some of my more difficult pieces and doing some work on expression. We're using Fur Elise for this exercise. Although I'm not too interested in the piece itself, I'm excited about trying this and very interested to see how it turns out.

I've also had a change in lesson location. I had been taking lessons at a studio, but starting this week, my teacher will be coming to my house for lessons. The biggest change will be that instead of having side-by-side grands at the studio, there's just my one upright at home. I'll miss having the opportunity to play on a grand every week. And I'm not sure how it will work out for my teacher to demonstrate things. But it might be nice to have lessons on my own piano. I also wonder if it will be distracting with all the household activities going on (kids playing, dogs running around, food cooking, phone ringing...) Do any of you have in-home lessons? How does it work out for you?

#1946229 - 08/20/12 03:27 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MaryBee

Sand Tiger -- Do you mean that you have it set up so that you do not hear at all what you're playing?! Wouldn't that be almost like painting blindfolded? ...

MaryBee, yes, but this is for recording. After 25 discarded takes of my recital piece, Ashokan Farewell, it came to trying a setup where I couldn't hear while recording. I think it is near equal parts: my perfectionist nature, background noise ruining takes, and nerves from the red dot. Another advantage, is that mic placement becomes a non-issue.

Of course, I listen when practicing, though I do like to play with the power off as part of the memorizing process.

#1946242 - 08/20/12 03:38 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat

Unless the HR person is a musician, I suggest you have an informal meeting with the other four first, and work out what you can offer her! Only one rule. Everyone may suggest things they CAN do. No-one may list things they CAN'T do :-)

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
Carlos -- I'd be petrified! But I'm still encouraging you to do it. Do you think they want all five of you to play together? Now that would be something!

No, HR person is not a musician...
We spoke with each other during a coffe break and our opinion is not too good... We have inumerous different musical tastes and different skills. We don't think that a group performance will work. And some of us don't want to do solo presentations. So, let's see what she want from us.
(I'll do updates about this)
Thanks.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1946324 - 08/20/12 05:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: SwissMS]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: SwissMS
...Of course, the hard part of this nocturne starts after the first two pages...

No, no, no, SwissMS smile The NEXT part of the nocturne starts after the first two pages. The hard part starts when you've finished learning it and taken it up to tempo!!

It's a confidence game.

#1946529 - 08/21/12 03:51 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Hi thank you everyone for your encouragement. I had a lesson with a new teacher. She had a german piano I have never seen before. It is a beautiful piano but very different from mine. Retrospectively, I really should have warmed up when she said to do so. But I did not. So I did not play well. it was amazing that she took me. She has a full time job at the community college and she does not need to take so many private students. So I am honored to get one of the scares spot.

We decided to start on Bach WTC #12 F minor P&F from book II. I really like it. The bad news is that she wants me to bring up the RACH PRELUDE #23-5 to performance speed!! Agahhhhh. I decided to give it a couple of more weeks since she had great suggestions. She is more demanding than my old teacher. You can tell that she is used to teaching advanced students. She told me to bring up the tempo of the RACH prelude from 63 to 84 for a quarter note this week. If it's not possible, bring it up close to 84. She showed me how to take care of tricky spots. I seem to be able to play faster when I use her technique. So far it's good. I was also told to read all the prelude part of the F minor P&F. I have to put all the fingering by myself. She would help me doing the same for the Fugue. Fortunately, this one was not too bad to read.

I am also starting a monthly "free" skype lesson with my girl friend (my first piano teacherin US) who I just saw in CA. It's free because I am experimenting the Skype method with her. I am going to study Brahms intermezzo op 118 with her. My goal is to be able to play this piece by next recital in her studio. I am probably doing too much. One thing I decided not to do is Chopin Ballade. It will kill me.. Both my girlfriend and teacher told me that it would take me a long time. So I feel like the burden has been lifted. It is significantly above my level anyway.

#1947726 - 08/23/12 09:36 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

For those who know about the invitation to play in public: Part II

We had the meeting with HR people. Well, after all one of the HR person is connected to music and he plays piano (classic and some jazz are the preferences).

Here are the facts:
- The idea is to play 3 songs in public, as a group, in the annual meeting of the enterprise group;
- There will be a singer.
- The songs are two portuguese pop songs (which I don't like...) and "Let it be" (what????), yes, Beatles...
- the meeting will be in the 1st week of October.

I've decided: I will not accept.
Why?
- First of all, I don't like the list of songs to play, and the list is closed (!).
- Second, one month is too short to prepare something decent to play with people that never played together. There will be 2 or 3 sessions on Saturdays with a professional to "help" us. I don't know who is this "professional" but they told me that is a guy from portuguese TV shows like "America's got talent", or "Idols"... (yes, we have those TV-shows too).
- Finaly, I'm not confortable with the whole idea.

I've decided, but I like to know what do you think about this.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

#1947759 - 08/23/12 10:29 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
pg2 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I got the ok to do the A min scale H/T. It may not sound like much to you but this new teacher has taken me all the way back to the beginning. I also got my first two pieces. We each choose one. She choose Bach's Musette in D major and I bought three pieces I would like.

Of the three she suggested the easy version of Tchaikovsky Marche Slav. This last works for me because when I was a 8 or maybe 9 I heard it on the Radio and fell in love with it. Some day I'll play the original I hope or at least give it a good try.

So, Amin scale H/T, two pieces selected I'm feeling kinda chuffed.

As for the viola; yesterday I was finally allowed to draw the bow across the strings. That's only taken 2 weeks. Ye gods! It appears I have a lot of work to do to learn to keep the bow parallel to the bridge. Still it's a beginning

I love it all!

Edited by pg2 (08/23/12 10:32 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

Proud owner of a 1917 Chas. Brothers Grand Piano named "Goldy" She sings like a bird. I lucked out Big Time.

Korg SP 250

#1947860 - 08/23/12 01:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

CarlosCC, too bad it didn't work out. Given the setup, I would have made the same choice and said no. I think you are wise to opt out. With a singer, and other instruments, folks would tend to notice the piano only if something went wrong.

Getting the sound levels right for musicians not used to being in a group may be a challenge. Who knows what kind of sound person will work the board for the event? If there is an inexperienced person on sound, it may not matter how good the musicians are.

#1947878 - 08/23/12 01:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Toastie Offline

CarlosCC - i think this is definitely the right decision not to do it. I would also have said no to this. What a bizarre choice of music, and it's a bit unfair that they would make you play together if you don't want to. Perhaps the HR person should play it instead if he/she likes these songs so much...

Pg2 - viola lessons sound very exciting. I wouldn't have the patience for waiting two weeks just to draw the bow across the strings though!!! I'd do it anyway, as I get mad urges to do anything I'm told not to.

I am feeling good about piano this week, as have made progress with my left hand and am getting better at sight reading. Had a nice lesson, was much calmer about my progress and managed to avoid freaking out and getting frustrated with myself every time I did anything wrong.
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

#1947890 - 08/23/12 02:09 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Toastie]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Um....

Everyone's being very supportive. That's nice.

You're being given the chance to do something musical that's outside your comfort zone. You're being offered coaching by someone who may be coming from a quite different direction than you expect. And this is a request from your employer.

Are you going to run scared? Or are you going to be a "can do" person?

#1947923 - 08/23/12 03:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Toastie Offline

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Um....

Everyone's being very supportive. That's nice.

You're being given the chance to do something musical that's outside your comfort zone. You're being offered coaching by someone who may be coming from a quite different direction than you expect. And this is a request from your employer.

Are you going to run scared? Or are you going to be a "can do" person?

You're exactly the kind of person I'd like to be one day, haha smile
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
Yamaha U3

Page 92 of 231 < 1 2 ... 90 91 92 93 94 ... 230 231 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (Abby Pianoman, *windowlicker*, AaronM, 36251, ABC Vermonter, 48 invisible), 1346 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75971 Members
42 Forums
157111 Topics
2307390 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Can someone list the rules of accidentals?
by xorbe
3 minutes 4 seconds ago
Kawai ES-7?
by shndany
Today at 10:12 AM
Kawai MP7 - hidden gem
by Kevin Keys
Today at 09:21 AM
Paying to be a vendor
by Bob
Today at 08:39 AM
Does it get easier?
by Pover
Today at 07:10 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission