2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 159 of 540 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WinSchutten
I just played my first whole page of sheet music acceptably (to me anyways) since when I was a kid, weee.

Nice one WinSchutten!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh I forgot to mention that the other day I played the A major scale correctly with right fingering- I hadn't been shown this yet by my teacher ( we do new ones each lesson or so). I just found it. It sounded right so I looked it up online and I was correct. I know it isn't much but if I can find scales by ear I must be heading in the right direction.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/08/12 09:35 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by justjeff
Edwardian - Thanks mate smile

Tangleweeds - A smartphone app would be most excellent. Going to look into that, thanks for the tip. smile

The smartphone apps I've tried leave a lot to be desired because they tend to make compromises due to lack of screen real estate.

I would recommend www.sightreadingpractice.com for note recognition training. It includes tons of config options and allows you to specify any key you would like, whether to throw in accidentals, max number of ledger lines and so on.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Spent most of my last lesson talking theory and doing harmonic analysis on the third movement of the Mozart sonata I'm learning. Wow... the time just flew, but my brain was sore from the workout. smile I'm going back to review http://www.musictheory.net/

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MaryBee
Spent most of my last lesson talking theory and doing harmonic analysis on the third movement of the Mozart sonata I'm learning. Wow... the time just flew, but my brain was sore from the workout. smile I'm going back to review http://www.musictheory.net/

I'd also recommend http://music-theory.ascensionsounds.com/

It [also] does a good job of explaining everything from writing micro-analyses with figured bass to explaining secondary dominants and more chromatic harmony

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AOTW... picked up a Billy Joel song that I had stopped playing a couple months ago and it is coming back to me... slowly, but steadily. Also discovered that taking a break from another song for a few days did me some good as I was able to come at it fresh and the chord changes seemed to come easier suddenly.

Still having trouble practicing slowly and methodically. I just like to play despite hiccups because I like the song/piece so much and it's fun, but that is a lousy approach for fostering improvement.

FOTW... actually FOTQ (Failure Of The Quarter) - nothing ready for the ABF recital.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
T
T
I just bought my U3. Not sure when delivery will be, but I now actually own the piano. I am now penniless. I feel a bit sick. I think it's the combination of having been so excited for so long and having just spent so much money.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Toastie
I just bought my U3. Not sure when delivery will be, but I now actually own the piano. I am now penniless. I feel a bit sick. I think it's the combination of having been so excited for so long and having just spent so much money.

Oh Toastie!!! Don't feel sick --- sure it is nerve-wracking to spend a lot of money ...but try to focus on what a great investment this is... A LIFE investment.Try to re-capture some of that OTT nuttiness you had a few weeks ago!

I can't wait to see pics and hear how delighted you are to have your own lovely U3 safe and sound at home!

Congratulations!!!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
JustJeff - welcome! What a super lesson you had - it sounds like you are off to a flying start! I see you've had some great advice already - check the sticky thread at the top of the forum too there are lots of helpful links (I think it is called "Important information" smile

Allard -Welcome! it is so satisfying to get a good recording (and I confess, much harder than I ever would have expected!!)

Rockbadger - Welcome! that's a happy story - you must be really thrilled to be back playing!

WinShutten - Welcome! I can repeat myself I think --- being back at the piano has got to be a joyful moment!

EdwardianPiano - that's great you have the feel for what a scale should sound like and figured it out on your own. This bodes well!

MaryBee - that does sound a bit mind-numbing. Useful, but hard on the head!

ATallGuy --- Which Billy Joel are you playing? How satisfying to be making progress with it.

Wow... what a week - so many new participants here, that's exciting! New pianos on the horizon and lots of steps forward happening.

I guess my ATOW is having made a wee bit of progress with managing the metronome and getting to the point where I can actually see where and how it will help me rather than just understanding from an intellectual point that it might be helpful.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

When is it being delivered? Once it is sat in your house and press those keys I bet you'll get so enamoured you might not think of the money.

I know what it's like being penniless and it has nothing to do with my Piano- it's called long term unemployment. cry

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/09/12 02:54 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
AOTW... picked up a Billy Joel song that I had stopped playing a couple months ago and it is coming back to me... slowly, but steadily. Also discovered that taking a break from another song for a few days did me some good as I was able to come at it fresh and the chord changes seemed to come easier suddenly.

Still having trouble practicing slowly and methodically. I just like to play despite hiccups because I like the song/piece so much and it's fun, but that is a lousy approach for fostering improvement.

FOTW... actually FOTQ (Failure Of The Quarter) - nothing ready for the ABF recital.

Yes I have to remind myself to play more slowly sometimes! Sounds like you are doing great anyhow!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
EdwardianPiano - that's great you have the feel for what a scale should sound like and figured it out on your own. This bodes well!

You reckon? I don't know if this is something that anyone can do or whether it means my listening ear is ok!

I guess my ATOW is having made a wee bit of progress with managing the metronome and getting to the point where I can actually see where and how it will help me rather than just understanding from an intellectual point that it might be helpful.

I know what you measn casinitaly- I need to keep at metronome use myself.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
ATallGuy --- Which Billy Joel are you playing? How satisfying to be making progress with it.

Just The Way You Are... I learned it for my wife's birthday as a surprise, but I just wasn't ready by the big day so I wasn't able to do it. I got it up to so-so performance level and then kept it up for a while, but then stopped because I found out that she really doesn't like the song in the first place.

Since then I found out that she really wants to hear it anyway (my secret got out), so I'm re-learning it.

I'll try to have it ready for ABF PR# 29. I play it nearly an octave lower than written (Billy does it in G AFAIR, I do it in A) because I don't have the vocal range that Billy does -- nor the dynamics, nor the piano chops, nor the ability to write lyrics or music, nor the millions of dollars that go along with having said skills in spades. frown

I've gotten so used to it this low that jumping up an octave sounds terribly tinny. I hope people like it (I'll mercifully skip the singing for the recital) but also am really looking forward to honest constructive criticism.

I'll have to get to that point as well. I've tried a couple times and found it to be absolutely intolerable. Maybe I was setting it too fast? Am I correct in surmising that part of the dynamic in making friends with the metronome is also making friends with going at a very deliberate (i.e. slow and steady) pace?

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Edwardian Piano...well, honestly, I don't know how easy folks find it to play scales. I drilled on them (on bass clarinet) for years in highschool and so in terms of knowing if I have the right notes, I don't have any difficulty. Of course playing them on the bass clarinet and playing 2 hands on the piano with the correct fingering are two different things. What I was complimenting was the fact that this is new and an accomplishment for YOU something you couldn't or didn't do before but now you can. This is a step in the right direction!

TallGuy, I like that song - I like a number of Billy Joel piece but have not yet played any. I would need UBER-simplified versions ! smile

As for using the metronome - you definitely have to be going slower than you really want to - but not so slow that you have time to think about paying your bills, cutting your toenails and what to make for dinner between notes smile

It really takes a lot of focus - so I think that it helps build concentration.... I can also really understand that when I like a sound I want to "hang on to it" and not move on to the next sound!

I've also really REALIZED --- (I knew it was true, but didn't quite believe it) that I actually play much better if I don't go as quickly as I think I "should" be going. I have a lot more control and accuracy and so the overall musicality of my pieces sounds better recently, even though I've slowed down overall.

So, yup, slow deliberate, steady... that does seem to be the route to take for the moment. Fast is for the future!

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Edwardian Piano...well, honestly, I don't know how easy folks find it to play scales. I drilled on them (on bass clarinet) for years in highschool and so in terms of knowing if I have the right notes, I don't have any difficulty. Of course playing them on the bass clarinet and playing 2 hands on the piano with the correct fingering are two different things. What I was complimenting was the fact that this is new and an accomplishment for YOU something you couldn't or didn't do before but now you can. This is a step in the right direction!

Thanks casinitaly. I can play A major by ear but now I shall try other scales tomorrow and see if I can find them by ear as well.......
Do you still play bass clarinet?

As for using the metronome - you definitely have to be going slower than you really want to - but not so slow that you have time to think about paying your bills, cutting your toenails and what to make for dinner between notes smile

I definitely don't want to be thinking about bills when playing piano LOL.

I've also really REALIZED --- (I knew it was true, but didn't quite believe it) that I actually play much better if I don't go as quickly as I think I "should" be going. I have a lot more control and accuracy and so the overall musicality of my pieces sounds better recently, even though I've slowed down overall.
So, yup, slow deliberate, steady... that does seem to be the route to take for the moment. Fast is for the future!

I have just finished playing Alpine Melody from Alfred's- still going too fast I think. I have trouble slowing down. I will try it with the Metronome tomorrow.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
TallGuy, I like that song - I like a number of Billy Joel piece but have not yet played any. I would need UBER-simplified versions ! smile

I don't know about that... I just went back and listened to your submission for #27, and I think you would do just fine with Just The Way You Are.

I only did minor simplifications, for instance there is syncopation (I think that is what it is anyway) where the right hand plays an 1/8 note ahead of the left hand. I just play the left hand chord early so that my hands are in synch and it sounds fine.

I also had to figure out a way to gracefully cut out the sax solos in the middle and at the end -- I just wasn't up for trying to adapt those to the piano. All the sheet music versions I found were horrendously schmaltzy or too simple, so I made my own arrangement.

The song just sounds so good that it sort of plays itself, once you learn it, except for the bridge -- that is really tough for me.

Give it a try!

Last edited by aTallGuyNH; 11/09/12 06:59 PM.

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Thanks casinitaly. I can play A major by ear but now I shall try other scales tomorrow and see if I can find them by ear as well.......

Maybe you want to do them by ear? But you don't have to... it's just a pattern of the number of half steps between each note: 2212221

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Edwardian Piano - no I don't play bass clarinet anymore, but I do pull out my Bflat Clarinet (the traditional "liquorice stick") once in a while. I play guitar too...though it has been left in the case pretty much full time since piano entered my life!

ATallGuyNH... I couldn't remember what I'd played in the 27th! lol... I had to go back and check! (to be fair, it has been a long day and it is really time for me to go to sleep!)....You've inspired me. I'll give it a try and report back (but not tonight!)

[Linked Image]

A
A
Thanks, casinitaly. This seems like a great community. Who knows, I might ever be able to contribute. Recording was HARD. Next step is to not feel bad about making mistakes with the teacher present. It's just that you know, during practise you did so well...

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
T
T

Oh Toastie!!! Don't feel sick --- sure it is nerve-wracking to spend a lot of money ...but try to focus on what a great investment this is... A LIFE investment.Try to re-capture some of that OTT nuttiness you had a few weeks ago!

I can't wait to see pics and hear how delighted you are to have your own lovely U3 safe and sound at home!

Congratulations!!!!

Thank you, feel better about it today, think I was a bit overwhelmed yesterday!! I am going to visit it in the shop today (who cares if they think I'm nuts, I've handed over the money so I shall go and practice on my piano in their shop!)

EdwardianPIano, they are going to let me know the delivery date once they arrange it with the delivery people, as it has to be on a Saturday so I may have to wait a couple of weeks. This is a bit annoying, but I have waited 28 years so far for this piano, so I guess I can wait a bit longer.

And the other nice thing was that the man in the piano shop said that my playing was really good after only a few months. He said this after I had already paid thousands of pounds so I don't think he was flattering me to buy the piano haha.

Last edited by Toastie; 11/10/12 03:14 AM.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
Page 159 of 540 1 2 157 158 159 160 161 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission