2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,304 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1435349 05/12/10 06:58 PM
OP Offline
Hi folks!
Thought I'd introduce myself.
I am new to both the forum and playing!
I am 51 yrs old and just recently bought a Yamaha keyboard (E223).
I have always wanted to play just never took lessons. Recently, a friend of mine taught himself to play harmonica and it was just the kick in the pants I needed to finally take the plunge.
He mainly plays 12 bar blues stuff and I would like to get to where we can play during family get togethers.
I am open to any and all suggestions!
I look forward to reading through the forum and all the info!
Mike

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome Mike. You will love it here!! It is a very supportive and knowledgeable community!
I am a very new beginner (7 months) and have been using Alfred's all-in-one, level 1 during that time. There are corresponding threads for each of the Alfred books (3 total). I have had a lot of fun discussing struggles and accomplishments with my fellow Alfred students. I am sure that others will offer additional suggestions too.
Are you playing anything right now? Do you have a teacher or will you be self-taught?

Christine

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Cobra1365, and to the wonderful world of piano. smile You will make better progress more quickly with formal lessons (but finding a good teacher who is compatible with your goals for piano and will help you learn the kind of material you want to play is crucial). If you decide to go the self-teaching crowd, you'll find lots of help and support here, too. smile You may want to check out the Chang book (free online), which describes a philosophy toward practicing the piano and specific tips for technique. Skip the overblown preface and concentrate on the concrete advice:

http://www.pianofundamentals.com/book

OP Offline
Glass,
I am not playing any other instrument. I tried Guitar once when I was much younger but that didn't last long.
Right now, I am using Alfred's Max book 1 with DVD. A little disappointed with it. It started off great and the DVD was showing as the book explained. Then the DVD went straight to just playing examples rather than explaining examples. So, now I am at the poitn where it starts discussing chords and playing G7, but very little explanation! frown

Monica,
Thanks for the tips and I will definitely check out the Chang book!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Again Cobra,
I actually meant...what piano pieces are you playing right now?" Sorry to be less than clear.
I remember thinking that chords were very confusing in the beginning. Stick with it, it will get easier.

Christine

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Oh, sorry Glass! Misunderstood.
I am really not working on a specific piece yet. Though I have worked through "When The Saints Go Marching In" pretty well smile. The book I have right now is a pretty basic book with just portions of songs to ge the fundamentals down.

Yes, Chords seem a bit daunting right now! But I understand the concept and I can see where it makes playing easier down the road.

Been a little crazy around our house right now (son & family with new grandbaby moved in with us temporarily) so finding time to sit and have some concentrated practice has been difficult.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Welcome! I'm like you - always wanted to play but never did..... and finally started a few months ago. What fun and what satisfaction!

I think learning the chords and theory is great - and interesting - but why not combine that with some full simple pieces rather than "just" wink exercises and parts of songs?

I studied theory in highschool but that was -ahem- a few years ago!

Today I had the great satisfaction of figuring out that a series of leading notes matched the chords of the key scale. I suppose to a more experienced reader of music it would have been obvious but for me it was a new discovery!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

OP Offline
Cas,
I think I am at that point! The exercises are getting a little stale and I feel like I need to see some result (ie: hear a song come out of this contraption!).

One thing I did the other day to help myself get used to moving both hands at the same time was to play the Melody with both left and right hands. I did that several times as a warm up exercise and it seemd to help me.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I know!! I want to hear more "music" coming out of the piano. I feel so limited. There is so much music in my head and I just can't get it out yet! smile

Lots of my simple duets have the same part played with 2 hands -so do some from my exercise books (let me clarify - I have the duets, and I've played ONE with my teacher so far!).

I downloaded a lot of music from various websites - see the first sticky post in this forum for some good links. They really got me rolling!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Hi, Mike! Welcome to the forum. You'll love it here, and you'll love the piano, I'll bet. If I were looking to play blues or 12 bar based styles, I'd go to http://www.playpianotoday.com/
and look at the free blues lessons there. Much of it will be over your head right now, but you'll learn some left hand patterns and other things that'll help with that style. Good luck and again, welcome!

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission