2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 287 of 540 1 2 285 286 287 288 289 539 540
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Finding time to play over Thanksgiving break may not be a BIG accomplishment but it feels like one. I'm enjoying playing again and working each piece in blocks/chunks and BELIEVING (I mean REALLY) believing I can get them up to speed. Let's do Christmas music now. :-)

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Week 89 & 90: I took a week off from piano to attend my father's funeral. The trip and the service went about as well as can be expected. I perform Up to the Mountain on my Clarke brand tin whistle. It is a performance of a lifetime. All my musical training, friendships, mentors, audiences are rolled into the energy for that one performance. I give the eulogy then play the short tune on the whistle.

I got to practice Up to the Mountain, at my church coffee house the night before I got on the airplane for the funeral. I told the audience that I was going to perform that same tune at the funeral and there was an audible gasp. The love and support from my church friends there, and then friends and family at the wake and funeral are of great comfort to me. I also do two piano pieces prior to the wind instruments at the coffee house. I stumble through my last two recital pieces, my original, Avenue D, and a cover of A Thousand Years, on a Baldwin grand piano.

The crowd is supportive and gives nice applause, despite my stumbles. I think I hear whispering while I am playing and find it distracting. I am tempted to say something, but that would only break my concentration even more. So even with two recitals and seven months on the first piece, I am still not quite ready for prime time. Despite having performed dozens if not a hundred times live.

I have been reading the thread and am always impressed, and interested in each person's progress, or perhaps lack of progress. Funerals have a way of creating perspective. Enjoy the journey.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm sorry to hear about your loss SandTiger. Yours is a very poignant post. Keep plugging way.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Condolences on your loss Sand Tiger, I lost my mother two years ago in Dec and I miss her greatly. "Funerals have a way of creating perspective" is so very true.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Condolences, SandTiger...
One year ago. I had just gotten back from So. Cal. for my father's funeral.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger, my sympathies on your loss. I am glad you had the comfort and support of so many good souls.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Sand Tiger, I'm sorry to hear of your loss and send you loving thoughts and prayers for healing. The love and emotion your music conveyed was a gift for all those you shared it with and I'm glad they gave you support and comfort.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I took a week off from piano to attend my father's funeral.

Sand Tiger,
I am so sorry to hear of your grief. If we believe God's promise of eternal life with Him through Christ; we haven't really lost them but are only separated until we join them again. Our God is faithful to perform what He has promised.
3hearts

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It is wonderful that you were able to give the gift of music for the service. I am glad that you had the comfort of so many friends.

I am in Missouri from Thanksgiving through Christmas visiting with my Mother and brother. I am fortunate in that I am playing a really nice digital piano here, a Kawai CA65. I really like it! So, I am able to keep up my practice during my visit. I get up very early (I am on Swiss time anyway) and practice with headphones for a couple of hours before my Mom wakes up. That way my practicing does not interfere with my visit. So, I have continued to play every single day, and with any luck will have a perfect MOYD this year. I play Christmas carols for the family in the evening as well. So, it is a win-win!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
So sorry to hear your news, Sand Tiger.
Our thoughts are with you.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
CarlosCC, SwissMS, Ragdoll, CasinItaly, ATallGuyNH, EarlofMar, RNaple, WiseBuff and all the other regulars on AOTW and PianoWorld,

Thank you for your kind words and well wishes, the sentiments are appreciated.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger, my condolences on your loss. My mother passed in November five years ago, and I think of her every day. She gave me a childhood filled with music, and I was very happy that I’d taken up piano shortly before her death and was able to play a bit for her at her last birthday party.

You showed great presence of mind to play at your father’s funeral, and I’m sure those in attendance took comfort in your final gift to him.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm so sorry to hear of you loss, Sand Tiger.
I think that playing at the funeral has been a comfort for you, a way to say goodbye to your father.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I can play my Beethoven bagatelle all through no glitches consistently now. From cold. Almost from memory. I'm still scared to shut the book. It won't take much longer. It is so freeing to get to this point.
My Chopin is still a challenge though I can relax and enjoy playing the first three pages. Probably another month to really finish off, especially with holiday visiting ahead. I played it great after our trip to Mexico earlier but then promptly made every mistake possible the next day!
I'm beginning to 'feel' the rhythmn of my Bop goes the Weasle riff and it's fun to try something so different.
Why do my fingers keep wandering off of the walking bass line! I find some of the twist and turns so counterintuitive and stumble around all over the place yet what is easier than one note at a time!
Fun for the holidays my teacher found some neat arrangement of the classic tunes you hear endlessly. NOT 'Jingle bells' again was what I had to say but in 6/8 time with a bit of a riff line going, it's fun!
Got out Claire de Lune for a re-learn after 40+ years - that's quite a break and not so many grey cells left!
Lesson tomorrow so hope I can show some progress.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I bought a book of Christmas tunes and I use it for sight reading.
I had my piano tuned.
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!
I have the notes right in the easiest Song without words (op. 30 n.3), now I must work a lot to pull out the melody from the right hand chords.

Lesson next week, maybe we will choose something new...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
[quote Sand tiger][/quote]
Funerals have a way of creating perspective. Enjoy the journey.

So very true. My condolences, along with so many other virtual friends.It touches us all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good work, Palmpirate. It's always a pleasure to be able to report progress. Torquenale, keep up the good work with the Mozart. Btw, I love the idea of using Christmas music for sight-reading. I very much need to add regular sight-reading exercises to my daily practice, and knowing what the music is *supposed* to sound like could be helpful. Besides ... tis the season. Glad to hear you had your piano tuned. It's always more fun to play afterwards, isn't it?

My achievement for the week might sound a bit backwards, but I've given up preparing Chopin's Waltz in A Minor (posth) for my piano teacher's Dec. 14 party and am back to a piece I was working on earlier, the lovely Smile, composed by Charlie Chaplin. In a nutshell, I realized last weekend that I simply could not get the Chopin in hand in time to do it any kind of justice. I don't regret a minute spent on the piece, which I will continue to develop. I told my teacher I'll play it at her next party. That gives me until May, lol.

Everything's a learning experience. smile

Last edited by piano_deb; 12/07/13 01:35 AM.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torquenale
I bought a book of Christmas tunes and I use it for sight reading.
I had my piano tuned.
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!.........

LOL. Torquenale, please stop writing my posts for me wink

Last summer somebody recommended "Christmastime for All" as good sightreading material, so I picked it up and forgot about it. Then a while back my teacher asked if I had any material for 1 week toss-offs (that we do just for reading value). So I've been essentially sightreading these for the last month and having a ball doing it.

AND ...
I feel I made progress on my Mozart. This is a neverending story, because the trickiest parts will take a lot of time!
<<======= me too!

Oh, and my tuner is due next week grin

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Made a recording of the Sick Doll to see if it's ready for the Ecco Fatte Café.. Unfortunately it sounds very imperfect. (Also recordingwise, lots of noise and cracks, suppose a good microphone is a better idea then using my videocamera)
Still very far from the goal playing it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GyGr-ovhYU

Luckily I don't have to post it before April (Tchaikovsky recital), also noticed that playing it for a videocamera makes it just as bad as playing for my teacher.. (I think I play better when he's not there ;))

Ok Achievement time: Played the first couple of pieces of my new "Classics to Moderns" book from D. Agay)
Händel - Gavotte and some other stuff.
Fun book.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
All thanks by the way for you congratulations! It is a busy time here wink

Sand Tiger, All the best with your loss..

Page 287 of 540 1 2 285 286 287 288 289 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission