2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1436491 05/14/10 01:16 PM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
She plays beautifully in a way you would expect from someone older.
But... at the end she flashes a "light up the room" smile that reminds you she's a happy 8 year old smile

Performed at Steinway Hall & store in Connecticut. There is no applause at the end because it was a recording session. Please visit www.umipiano.com for more information and Umi's upcoming performances.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Talent like this is always a joy to watch.

She has quite the performances coming up which is seen on her website.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Beautiful, poised, amazingly talented child. I certainly hope that she won't be exploited......

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
That's a little scary. She's really playing the music. I noticed that she really can't play octaves yet, so she just "single-noted" a few of them.

Unbelievable talent.

My jaw is still on the floor. I have seen some of her videos before. If she doesn't burn out, this is the kind who can legitimately compete for the Cliburn at age seventeen.

She seemed to be enjoying every moment of that performance. Amazing. She was really feeling the music... not just playing it. Her smile at the end was priceless.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Oh, I just loved the part near the end where she was getting so excited and bouncing up and down on the bench.

I showed it my son, and his only comment was "Mom, you need to practice more."

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know that I'll almost get flamed here for my post, but anyhow:

I won't get into comparing and maybe, hopefully Umi is completely different, but in this age and time youtube is literally filled with young performers, in every instrument, from drums, to doodle, to piano, to guitar, to anything.

I don't care about her age. Experience has shown that the 'promising' part doesn't appear too often. Can we get a promise that she will advance in the same speed as she did in the first 8 years of her life? If so we will be getting the next Gillels, Richter and Horowitz combined! :-/

The OP says it all I think: "She plays beautifully in a way you would expect from someone older." It's not only the beauty of her performance, but also her age. And her age will only assend! Sadly!

Here's to hoping that she won't end up like most (quotation needed :D) children prodigies do, due to over exposure and lack of a 'normal' life (whatever that means).

In her defense, should she ever need it, this is one of the few very young pianists who's performances, without looking at the video DID mean something to me. And this is how I judge music: Without looking at the video! smile

Of the half dozen or so "prodigies" I've known, all but one have careers in music. Only one has a university position, the rest teach privately. All perform now and then, but none do anything with a high profile.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My little brother is almost 8 and the only thing he can do on a piano is bang the keys as incredibly hard as he can.

I do always wonder though, how these young good pianist practice? How do they have enough time for school, and even friends? Heck my little brother doesn't even have time to talk to us. Yes he probably isn't nearly as disciplined, but I wouldn't take his friends, all his time, and a little tv away from him. Sure I love piano, but I wouldn't give up a childhood for it.

Just wondering.

Hailun HU7P
1799 John Broadwood and son square
1800 George Astor London square
1810 Gibson and Davis New York square
1830 John Broadwood and sons square

Aeolian-Hammond BA player organ
Conn 652 theater organ
1922 Kotykiewicz two manual harmonium
1880s karn pump organ
When I was in high school, I remember the professor I studied with had a seven year old prodigy in her studio. I marveled at the work ethic, and at the output.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Of the half dozen or so "prodigies" I've known, all but one have careers in music. Only one has a university position, the rest teach privately. All perform now and then, but none do anything with a high profile.
Of all the people I've met during my studies as a musician (general), I think that most (>70%?) are making a living as musicians. None were hailed as prodigies! wink

EDIT: Of course 'high profile' is always overated (as I found out myself, when I discovered that there are other composers except Ligeti and Boulez in my early 20s (and my total lack of knowledge and missing of the Internet).)

Last edited by Nikolas; 05/15/10 06:48 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It makes me worry.

Is this a true prodigy who eagerly practices because she is driven from within to create beautiful music, or is this a child of parents who demand every moment be structured and productive and every endeavor drilled in until it becomes superior leaving no time for childhood exploration? Is the smile at the end one of happiness or is it relief because "I pleased Mama and Papa"? What will happen when this child grows into a young woman and starts to make her own choices?

Deborah

Best regards,

Deborah
A
A
She is sweet and talented. No doubt about it. I think how far she would go depends on how much she loves music when she grows bigger.

The thing that I do not quite understand is about her teacher. The piano repertoire is vast. Why she played this piece when she was only 8? I just wish that she has a wiser teacher.

My little brother is almost 8 and the only thing he can do on a piano is bang the keys as incredibly hard as he can.

grin

Well, at age eight, my son had already been playing for .... oh, that's right, he hadn't yet started.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

grin

Well, at age eight, my son had already been playing for .... oh, that's right, he hadn't yet started.

I'm just curious...do you play as well? Is your son a member here also?

Last edited by stores; 05/16/10 09:29 AM.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yes, I play. I was pretty well trained as a teen, and then went through a not uncommon withdrawal until later in life. I never lost my skills, and my technique is now as good or better than it was in the dim dark past. But I do not practice enough, or at least not continuously enough, to tackle big new works. Maybe when my kids are all through with school ....

My son has posted here before (as Book_Worm), but frankly he's not much interested in PW. That's fine with me. As far as forums go, I think he would rather post on a Call of Duty or World of Warcraft site. smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ABC Vermonter
[...]
The thing that I do not quite understand is about her teacher. The piano repertoire is vast. Why she played this piece when she was only 8? I just wish that she has a wiser teacher.

Are you suggesting that this piece requires the sensibilities of a more mature performer? Given this child's technical and interpretive skills, what would you have recommended in place of the Liszt?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
It makes me worry.

Is this a true prodigy who eagerly practices because she is driven from within to create beautiful music, or is this a child of parents who demand every moment be structured and productive and every endeavor drilled in until it becomes superior leaving no time for childhood exploration? Is the smile at the end one of happiness or is it relief because "I pleased Mama and Papa"? What will happen when this child grows into a young woman and starts to make her own choices?

Deborah,

Do a youtube search for "Uni Garrett" and watch her on Ellen's show. It doesn't completely resolve the totally valid concerns you raise, but I think the interview helps allay them quite a bit.

-Jason

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Yes, I play. I was pretty well trained as a teen, and then went through a not uncommon withdrawal until later in life. I never lost my skills, and my technique is now as good or better than it was in the dim dark past. But I do not practice enough, or at least not continuously enough, to tackle big new works. Maybe when my kids are all through with school ....

My son has posted here before (as Book_Worm), but frankly he's not much interested in PW. That's fine with me. As far as forums go, I think he would rather post on a Call of Duty or World of Warcraft site. smile

Ah, I see. I was just curious, since I've always thought it a wee bit odd that so many of your posts are about him, etc.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission