Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1439320 - 05/18/10 08:42 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: BruceD]
ABC Vermonter Offline

BruceD,

I know nothing about her history. BTW, a history for an 8 years old must be very rich. smile You know that I am just kidding.

When I see a little league pitcher throws 85 mph, I question the coach's wisdom. By the same token, I question whether the lovely young lady is well served by her teacher.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1439323 - 05/18/10 08:44 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: ABC Vermonter]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted By: ABC Vermonter
BruceD,

I know nothing about her history. BTW, a history for an 8 years old must be very rich. smile You know that I am just kidding.

When I see a little league pitcher throws 85 mph, I question the coach's wisdom. By the same token, I question whether the lovely young lady is well served by her teacher.

But why? I mean what are your reasons for questioning her teacher? Just curious.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#1439326 - 05/18/10 08:54 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

[...]
When I see a little league pitcher throws 85 mph, I question the coach's wisdom. [...]

If a little league pitcher can throw 85 mph, I'd question the pitcher's age. laugh

#1439331 - 05/18/10 09:06 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: stores]
ABC Vermonter Offline

If the questioning has merits, one must question (1) the lovely young lady, (2) her parents, or (3) her teacher. Who would then have more knowledge about the possibility of injury? I would expect that the teacher is the one who knows best about this.

#1439338 - 05/18/10 09:17 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: Horowitzian]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
[...]
When I see a little league pitcher throws 85 mph, I question the coach's wisdom. [...]

If a little league pitcher can throw 85 mph, I'd question the pitcher's age. laugh

It could be this Umi Garrett (if that is her real name) is a midget posing as an eight-year-old to cash in on her lately discovered pianistic skills. whistle

#1439343 - 05/18/10 09:25 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: ABC Vermonter]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

If the questioning has merits, one must question (1) the lovely young lady, (2) her parents, or (3) her teacher. Who would then have more knowledge about the possibility of injury? I would expect that the teacher is the one who knows best about this.

So, injury is behind your reasoning. That's understandable, though, if she's gotten this far (clearly very advanced for her age), then my bet is that she's in good hands.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

#1459549 - 06/19/10 10:26 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: Brandon_W_T]
Sandimar Offline

I am not a teacher, but I know something about having a gifted pianist.

I think this child looks happy and enjoys an audience. In regards to a gifted pianist's education, when a child plays at this level they tend to be gifted in academics as well. So maybe a child such as this will be a mathematician or a scientist when they grow up, but the years they spent studying how to do something well will be applicable to other endeavors. I also would not be surprised if the parents said her piano is covered with toys. A child cannot practice this much without using their imagination.

On the other hand, I thought her movements were too much. But I understand too much is better than not enough, but she is eight and in time her movements will look part of her.

There are teachers that give their students pieces that they cannot properly execute. (I am not saying this is so for this particular student.) Teachers do it with their best students to impress the audience, but they also do it because the audience is familiar with that piece. Most people’s exposure to classical music is confined to classic Looney Tunes, and they do not know if a piece is played correctly or not.

I think I read somewhere this girl needed money for her piano education, so perhaps that is why they went public. However when a cute child plays at a high level they get noticed and opportunities arise. A parent has to use their discretion in regards to media and print. I think less is better, but that is up to the parents.

#1459555 - 06/19/10 10:42 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: ABC Vermonter]
Richter Offline

Loc: Canada
If you watch the video from about 2:10 to 2:35, she was using quite a lot of arm and body strength to bring out the dynamic/music the way she liked. Her entire body moved up and down and off the bench a few times. If she keeps doing something like this and choosing pieces like this, would this lead to injury? I have no medical degree, so I cannot be sure. Maybe I just think too much.

Do I have a suggestion for an alternative piece? I am no musician either, so please take my suggestion lightly. I think some of the fugues from WTC could be good. My son, who is 12 now, has been working on some of the fugues for the past year. He learned a lot from playing fugues. It forces him to be more focused and listen particularly carefully to the sound he produces.

Using your arm and body in this way are very correct. She won't have any problems with injuries. Children are born with a very relaxed and natural coordination and this is why there is such an output of child "prodigies" -- since piano playing is so linear. This is also why it's much harder to improve technical skills when you start learning piano at a later age!

#1509915 - 09/06/10 08:14 AM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: Piano World]
NocturneLover Offline

Loc: Dantooine
I keep running into videos of Umi Garrett playing on Youtube, and the more I hear, the more she seems even more spectacular.

Umi has got to be the best or one of the best child prodigies on Youtube if not the world. The fact that the owner of Piano World started this thread attests to this.

Lol, I went on her website and saw this: "She plays Liszt better than some pianists 20 years older."

#1509922 - 09/06/10 08:34 AM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: Piano World]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I guess it depends on the child and the way he/she is amnaged. But think of a few child prodigies and see where they ended up. And by child prodigy i mean someone in the limelight from such a young age.

Maybe she is an exception. But i cannot but find it obscene to have a kid this age perform in big halls. That s just my view. I am not saying it can t be done well but i just can't see how.

#1510082 - 09/06/10 12:50 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: ABC Vermonter]
anajess Offline

The thing that I do not quite understand is about her teacher. The piano repertoire is vast. Why she played this piece when she was only 8? I just wish that she has a wiser teacher.

Maybe because she liked the piece.

#1510233 - 09/06/10 05:14 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: anajess]
ABC Vermonter Offline

I think the following article is doing a much better job than what I am able to offer (the author is the chair of the piano department at NEC:

http://www.artsjournal.com/pianomorphosis/2010/03/repertoire-inflation.html

Edited by ABC Vermonter (09/06/10 05:14 PM)

#1510291 - 09/06/10 06:09 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: Piano World]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I could not agree more with the following two paragraphs taken from the article posted above by ABC Vermonter:

"It's especially concerning to find that a young master of all of Chopin's Opus-25 Etudes had no contact with any music by Mozart or Haydn, or that the very first sonata by Beethoven that a bright pianist learned was the composer's Opus 111."
"If work is postponed on the basics of music -- on what is simple, though difficult to realize, on the fundamental building blocks of more complicated music -- then the things that really need to "work" in a piece, in a technique, in art, may never be settled or even considered. It's not so much that these castles are built on sand, but that their fancy turrets may not signify much of anything. What makes music matter is overlooked."

♪ ≠ $

#1510357 - 09/06/10 07:47 PM Re: Umi Garrett - 8 Years Old? [Re: Piano World]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
With all genuinely due respect, I totally disagree with putting these children on public display. As a musicophile I would never go to a child prodigy concert. It is simply not interesting enough. From a woman's perspective, I would celebrate this chold's talent and ensure she receives the best education I can afford, but I would never allow her to do concert tours. She needs dolls, fairy tale books and as much magic and as less stress as is possible. Her obvious talent non-withstanding ..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianoteq vs Digital Piano vs Acoustic Piano
by wildpig
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Baldwin Hamilton 1941
by JMN12
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Tucson, AZ: Is Arizona Room a bad place for a piano?
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Kissin plays...
by JoelW
Yesterday at 07:33 PM
For Sale : True Keys Pianos (bundle) American,Italian,Ger
man

by imyself
Yesterday at 05:51 PM
Who's Online
91 registered (anotherscott, Anticlock, anamnesis, 28 invisible), 925 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157573 Topics
2314533 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission