Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1439354 - 05/18/10 09:45 PM Picky players <==> Worse skills?
ffevhbtwh Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I notice that when my techniques are on the action on my piano is smooth as butter and sound is beautiful and even. When my techniques are off the action and sound are not as nice. I wonder if when people complaint about their piano's action or sound, it may very well be the player's deficiency? I'm not talking about a piano that is falling apart, but a piano in decent shape should provide pretty good sound in the right hands. My piano teacher's piano is not in the best of shape but when she plays it it sounds magical. To borrow from an old Michael Jordan's Nike ad, I'm thinking, no, it's not the shoes.

Do technicians notice pickier piano owners tend to be less skilled?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1439368 - 05/18/10 10:10 PM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: ffevhbtwh]
La Vega Offline

Loc: Oakland, CA
Interesting question. I think on the one hand, a great pianist should be able to adjust on the fly to different keyboards. On the other hand, all things being equal, a professional would probably prefer to stick with their favorite keyboard action (for example, a light-action Steinway), and hope they experience something similar on pianos they play in concert. Even if you are totally capable of adjusting to different actions, why would anyone wish for the extra difficulty?

#1439431 - 05/19/10 12:32 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: ffevhbtwh]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This is absolutely ludicrous. Glenn Gould, Vladimir Horowitz, etc. were among the pickiest pianists ever and among the most skilled. I'm super picky, but that's because I'm less willing than other pianists to deal with deficient pianos, and because I've played every high-end grand that exists, with one or two exceptions.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1439433 - 05/19/10 12:41 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: beethoven986]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
There are a very few pianists who are extremely skilled, and they can be picky. There are pianists who are extremely skilled and good at making do with what they have. There are pianists who are picky but just think they are extremely skilled. There are pianists who are picky so they can blame something else for their shortcomings.

One of the toughest parts of the concert technician's job is being pickier than the artist is. Even tougher is being able to accommodate all of these different types of artists.

#1439442 - 05/19/10 01:39 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: ffevhbtwh]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ffevhbtwh
Do technicians notice pickier piano owners tend to be less skilled?

What is this question supposed to mean? There are all sorts of people out there, some fitting your description, others not. Generalizations of that nature result in no meaningful discussion in my view.

Lastly, in order to be picky I'd assume that one has to be pretty alert to notice inconsistencies in a piano. Most people that I know would never complain about my piano's tuning even though I can hear when the octaves become just a little bit impure. It bothers me as I'd like to have a perfectly tuned piano. However, based on my statement, I wish you good look figuring out whether I am less or more skilled at playing it.

#1439444 - 05/19/10 01:46 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: beethoven986]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beethoven986
I'm super picky, but that's because I'm less willing than other pianists to deal with deficient pianos...

Which leads me to the next question on which we could poll people here: Do people who claim to be picky on an online forum just do this to corroborate their online persona as a discerning and picky one. Or, in turn, are they picky for pickiness's sake? Or, are they actually picky because the amount of underwhelming pianos is sheer overwhelming and therefore said pickiness serves as a bona-fide means to express the need for well-maintained pianos? Or.... crazy

#1439446 - 05/19/10 01:49 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: SeilerFan]
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
I am not a skilled pianist but I am terribly picky!

On my own piano I can feel every small difference that my own tuner does not even feel. I OCD majorly on my piano action and sound, it seems I want 100% perfection as the piano was so expensive!
The piano sounds gorgeous but when you listen note by note, there are some minor diffences, almost inaudiable that nobody seems to hear but me. I do know that this is part of owning a piano, 100% perfection does not exsist. It is up to the player to make it sound glorious!

I call the tuner every 3 months......

Sometimes I spend to much time on these things, I should focus my energy on becoming a better player!!

My partner says I am crazy crazy (Maybe I have issues cool)

#1439449 - 05/19/10 01:56 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: SeilerFan]
Pianolance Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
These topics don't just concern pianists. Singers always searching for the "perfect" monitor mix, microphone, etc. guitar players on their quest for the perfect tone, strings, neck action, pickup configuration, etc. Reed players being super picky about reeds, etc. In my mind there is no question that a skilled player should be able to make the most of any situation, however, a poor instrument does bring a whole set of variables to the table, some of which can not be overcome. I once played a piano that had a sticky key that would ring out. The guitar player was sitting right next to me and whenever that key would stick he would crack up and lean over to raise it back up again, which I very much appreciated. Some people are so picky that they take the fun right out of making music. To me, you make the best of any situation and have fun, if not it's not worth it. Of course I don't get paid thousands of dollars per gig either. Prime example is Taylor Swift struggling with her monitor mix during the Grammy's. She was panned by many critics when clearly it was not her fault. If you can't hear your voice, you can't sing on pitch period. The public and especially the critics don't want to hear excuses, even if they are legitimate. I guess music and life are both complicated shades of gray.

#1439559 - 05/19/10 08:23 AM Re: Picky players <==> Worse skills? [Re: Pianolance]
NoctuGranes Offline

Loc: Northeast USA
Patrick summed it up for me.

And, Seilerfan, I think I could find a witness or two to testify that I am indeed a bit picky. But I don't think it is for any ulterior motive. I just get the best "high" from playing with nuance and a singing tone. When I can't get it, I'm frustrated.

This has also developed into a true appreciation of wonderful pianos and the people who make and maintain the good ones.

When it comes down to it and I am performing (e.g. on a crappy old grand piano in the school auditorium or church) it doesn't get to me AT ALL. I do my best and it usually sounds great. If they want it to sound better then "they" can buy a better piano. At home, at night, in the quiet, I hear everything and want it to sound good simply to please me...and because I know it can and should sound great.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
72 registered (Akshay, ando, angelsong, adanepst, 21 invisible), 1266 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249684 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
04/17/14 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
04/17/14 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
04/17/14 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
04/16/14 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
04/16/14 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission