Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1439370 - 05/18/10 10:18 PM Garbage today
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
As usual, I found myself at work longing to get home to the Brahms and Bach I've been learning. I spent the day listening with my ears to high school students voice their dramas while my inner-brain orchestra soared playing Bach concertos. When I finally got home and started to practice, it was one of those dreaded days where nothing comes out of my hands but garbage. I have days where I play like an angel. Today was not one of them. After several aborted attempts to play decently, I smacked the keys and got up in frustration. I'm not particularly tired or edgy. I finally got to do what I've waited for all day, and now I'm bumbling. I hate that! It's a good thing I'm not a professional.

Edit: 'sorry, I just felt like griping.

Deborah

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1439377 - 05/18/10 10:29 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: gooddog]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Happens here all of the time too. It took me 2 hours to learn the first page of scriabin's op.11 no.1 prelude, not because it was hard....but because whenever something worked, my hands decided to forget and mess up more...

Sometimes things don't work... for me the best I can really do is take a deep breath, grab the metronome, set it to a really slow tempo, and then start again. It'll help eventually...haha.

Good luck with your work though!!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#1439378 - 05/18/10 10:30 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: gooddog]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I have felt that way before, when I had a church job. All I could do was play Christian rock and complementary Christian music, and all I wanted to do was play classical. I felt musically/creatively DEAD. I'm not sure what you can do to help things out, because it only got better for me when I quit. But I've been there. smile
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1439380 - 05/18/10 10:34 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Morodiene]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I am in a very bad mood these days and am sort of forcing myself to play, while usually it is sheer joy. It just happens for many reasons and we shouldn't take it as an indication that we have regressed or that we have lost interest...
I think we have all been there...

Music is my best friend.

#1439402 - 05/18/10 11:11 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: ChopinAddict]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
I've been there, too:
- What's wrong with me; I can't even play a scale today!
- Is this the real me? Am I really this bad?
- Whatever gave me the impression I thought I was any good?
- Is this revenge for feeling so smug about that last performance?
- Maybe I should give up the piano, sell it, and take up macramé!

The good news is that it doesn't last. Look forward to tomorrow; you'll be fine!

Regards,

#1439404 - 05/18/10 11:14 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: gooddog]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: gooddog

Edit: 'sorry, I just felt like griping.

No problem - we've all been there from time to time !!

Tomorrow is another day...... grin

#1439406 - 05/18/10 11:18 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: carey]
LVP Offline

Loc: Vermont
No worries, it's just Tuesday! (Use same reasoning any other day of the week smile )

Srsly, gotta be zen about it.

You are not really in charge of how good a session you'll have...just how well you'll cope on a 'Tuesday'.

I tend to just relax and do something else rather than beat myself up. Next day is almost always a ton better and I think it's part of the learning process.

smile

Edited by lvp (05/18/10 11:18 PM)

#1439416 - 05/18/10 11:35 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: LVP]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Aww Deborah, I've definitely been there. I usually drop my fists and forearms on the keyboard to announce my frustration to the world, close the fall board, and call it a day. I also use it as an excuse to open up a nice red, and listen to some music. wink

It's frustrating, but don't be too hard on yourself. It's an unfortunate part of life, and it's best to just accept it as an off-day, and move on to something more productive.

-Daniel

#1439418 - 05/18/10 11:39 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Ridicolosamente]
bplary1300 Online   content

Loc: Maine
Happens to all of us, I lost the ability to play the octaves in the Liszt without my forearms feeling like cement blocks yesterday....you can say I was pretty frustrated! When I came back today though it was all better.

Edited by bplary1300 (05/18/10 11:39 PM)

#1439419 - 05/18/10 11:39 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Ridicolosamente]
veem Offline

Loc: CA, USA
I agree. Don't beat yourself up for it; that won't help matters. It happens to everyone. When this happens to me, I take a break and come back to the piano a few hours later...

#1439420 - 05/18/10 11:41 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Ridicolosamente]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
When you practice just swear loudly like I do. People know I'm practicing if they hear lots of swearing from outside. =P

We all have bad days! It's nothing to worry about. Although sometimes you can't afford a bad day.. because then you lose a competition, you play badly at a concert you were paid to do, you get lost in a tutti (happened to me once because I lost focus for a split second and didn't know the piece very well), or you fail a jury.. (thankfully I never have!) >.<

Edited by AngelinaPogorelich (05/18/10 11:41 PM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1439421 - 05/18/10 11:41 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Ridicolosamente]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ridicolosamente
I also use it as an excuse to open up a nice red,
Sounds good to me!
Quote:
don't be too hard on yourself... move on to something more productive.-Daniel
I'm actually not being hard on myself, having had this experience many times before. I'm just frustrated because my practice time is so limited. There's only one thing worse than playing garbage, and that's coming home from work too tired to play at all.

Bruce, what you said really hit home. I found myself thinking, "Maybe I'm listening better today and I'm really this bad."

Angelina, you are not the only one with potty mouth at the piano!

Tomorrow I'm sure I'll be fine. I just needed to blow off some steam.

Deborah

#1439424 - 05/18/10 11:46 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Pogorelich.]
Ridicolosamente Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: AngelinaPogorelich
When you practice just swear loudly like I do.
Ah yes, I do plenty of that as well. laugh

#1439426 - 05/18/10 11:53 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Ridicolosamente]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's a bad habit though! I once swore in a masterclass, at the end of the last movement of the Franck violin sonata, after performing the whole thing (because I missed a note at the end). I had to write "don't swear" on the last page of my score!! =)

Edited by AngelinaPogorelich (05/18/10 11:53 PM)

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#1439427 - 05/18/10 11:57 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Pogorelich.]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

gooddog: Did you practice on an empty stomach? Sometimes I forget to eat and practice through the night and realized my sluggishness is due to having no nutrition and calories to burn.

Angelina: you should learn to swear in a foreign, exotic language, Icelandic maybe.

#1439430 - 05/19/10 12:32 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: Rui725]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Originally Posted By: Rui725

Angelina: you should learn to swear in a foreign, exotic language, Icelandic maybe.

There are sites with swearing and insults in different languages, including Icelandic.... laugh

The mistake I make is that I swear "inside", that's why it doesn't really help. I must learn to swear loud and clear, like Angelina. I am sure I would feel less stressed.

Music is my best friend.

#1439432 - 05/19/10 12:41 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: gooddog]
Mark_C Offline

Loc: New York
When that happens to me, I have a simple solution: I pick up the piano and throw it against the wall.

But seriously folks........ smile

It happens, and often without any logic to it. So, since there's no particular reason, I get afraid it means I'm going backwards (like ChopinAddict said), or I just sukkk and whatever I ever learned was for nothing. Usually I practice frantically for a little while, until I realize it just ain't gonna happen -- today.

As the others said, tomorrow's another day. smile

#1439448 - 05/19/10 01:53 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: Mark_C]
SeilerFan Offline
500 Post Club Member

On some days I feel drained for no apparent reason. Nothing good comes out of the piano no matter how hard I try. I usually use these times to work on my technique without hard musical practice or I try to get myself into a better mood by improvising or some sight-reading.

#1439542 - 05/19/10 07:56 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: SeilerFan]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well I speak Bulgarian but it's so much longer, like a whole sentence, instead of just saying ____ or ____ =)

#1439570 - 05/19/10 08:50 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: Pogorelich.]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
It's a bad habit though! I once swore in a masterclass, at the end of the last movement of the Franck violin sonata, after performing the whole thing (because I missed a note at the end). I had to write "don't swear" on the last page of my score!! =)
In some high school musical I accompanied, one of the students thought his body mike was turned off and gave a "swearing seminar" durng a performance.

#1439627 - 05/19/10 10:02 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: Rui725]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

It's a bad habit though! I once swore in a masterclass...
I can beat that. I used to type replacement checks for a large investment company. I once made a glaring mistake and, without thinking, typed a nasty four letter word beginning with F on a company check. I remember the check was made out to Chase Manhattan Bank. Any checks typed with errors went into a permanent file. sick I did some serious erasing.

Originally Posted By: Rui725
gooddog: Did you practice on an empty stomach?
Eating is something I never forget to do, thus the never ending diet!

Deborah

#1439646 - 05/19/10 10:31 AM Re: Garbage today [Re: gooddog]
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
When this happens to me, I pick up the guitar. I got into guitar a couple of years ago. I then quickly realize how badly I suck at guitar and this makes me feel like a virtuoso on piano, relatively speaking.....

Reminds me of an old golf buddy, who kept a 2 iron in his bag because he said it "made his 3 iron easier to hit" grin
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#1439740 - 05/19/10 01:15 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Stanza]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
My practicing fallback, if I'm feeling uninspired and nothing sounds good, is playing through something slowly with the metronome. It almost always helps, and is never a waste of time (I always learn something).

Check out my blog !

#1439872 - 05/19/10 05:37 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Pogorelich.]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
the cellist of my pianotrio couldn't play his high note in Mendelsohn's 2nd trio very comfortabely, so, every time we practised, he swore, and the 1st concert we gave after these rehearsels, he played like an angel, but he swore like a demon, and continues to do so ever after, every time we play the darn piece, J.Ch.!

Couperin pièces, Ravel tombeau de C

#1439880 - 05/19/10 05:47 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: dolce sfogato]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
When that happens to me, I have a simple solution: I pick up the piano and throw it against the wall.

One of the blessings about playing the piano is that most of us grin can't do that. Think if you played the violin - kindling! cursing

#1439881 - 05/19/10 05:50 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Bart Kinlein]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bart Kinlein
Quote:

One of the blessings about playing the piano is that most of us grin can't do that. Think if you played the violin - kindling! cursing

If you play the trumpet you can spit at it too...
though, just my playing it occurs naturally. ha.

#1439916 - 05/19/10 06:49 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Rui725]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
This used to happen to me quite often many years ago until I realised that the lamentable state never occurred during improvisation, only when playing pieces. Slowly it began to sink in that, excluding the occasional obvious physical cause, the feeling was therefore almost entirely in the mind and not in the playing mechanism. Once a positive mental state is established through improvisation I find I can play pieces without entering a negative feedback loop. I don't really know why this works. I conjecture that at times our critical function goes into overdrive and selects negative rather than positive qualities in our sounds. Once that happens it influences the physical means of playing, which in turn interferes with the music and we begin a descending cycle. As the critical faculty is necessarily absent in improvisation, at least while actually playing, presumably things can only take a turn for the better, or at worst remain neutral and objective.

I'm just speculating, my music is too different to make general comments, but I know this has worked for me over at least three decades.

#1439983 - 05/19/10 08:59 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Piano Again]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Piano Again
My practicing fallback, if I'm feeling uninspired and nothing sounds good, is playing through something slowly with the metronome. It almost always helps, and is never a waste of time (I always learn something).

That's my remedy, too (although not always with a metronome - just playing very slowly does it, too). It is like it somehow gets the mind and body into better synchronization, and that cures the problem.

#1439987 - 05/19/10 09:08 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Mark_C]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

But seriously folks........ smile

It happens, and often without any logic to it. So, since there's no particular reason, I get afraid it means I'm going backwards (like ChopinAddict said), or I just sukkk and whatever I ever learned was for nothing. Usually I practice frantically for a little while, until I realize it just ain't gonna happen -- today.

As the others said, tomorrow's another day. smile

I threw a metronome against the wall once and smashed it, and have thrown music around, too. Haven't figured out how to sling a piano though laugh

A remedy I find that works for me in this frustrating situation of playing like crap is to sight read something new. It relaxes my mind.

#1439990 - 05/19/10 09:13 PM Re: Garbage today [Re: Barb860]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I threw a score at my teacher once....

Jokingly of course but I was a little mad.. Haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Almaviva, anotherscott, AndresD, ajames, 39 invisible), 1815 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156055 Topics
2291573 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
Today at 09:34 AM
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
Today at 09:05 AM
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission