2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don't forget to smoke and learn to say 'nice' and Great!.

jnod Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I was looking through some old posts and thought I would update this one as it attracted so much attention last year. Thanks, at least in part, to some of the suggestions in this string, I was able to keep my son going - he's now gearing up for his second grade exam (RCM) and he's doing quite well.

Not sure what the moral of the story is but for what it's worth, I was very close to taking him out of lessons and am not very happy that I did not.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jnod
I was very close to taking him out of lessons and am not very happy that I did not.
I'm assuming that's a typo for now very happy... smile

Du holde Kunst...
Just remember no matter what your child says they do not hate you (even if they use those exact words) nor do they hate music or the piano they hate the discipline that is required of them to sit a certain amount of time and actually think. So the more you can change it up a bit every once in a while and let them know that, like school work there is no option, the easier the practicing should be. Generally your child will only be as committed as you are. "Don't weary in well doing." You are giving your child more than mere music lessons so don't get tired or discouraged. Keep it up.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
When some kids say they hate piano, they really do.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Roxy
You are giving your child more than mere music lessons so don't get tired or discouraged. Keep it up.

Do music music lessons merit "mere" ?

jnod Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Gary D's comment was exactly what I was afraid of. In my kid's case the evidence against was that he was doing well at it. If he had been complaining steadily about his daily practice and had also been making little or no progress then I think it would have meant there was no point.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Mozart Sonata K333
jnod Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
One last thing: in hindsight, Betty Patnude's suggestion of designated roles for each practice during the week was the most generally helpful. It accomplished two things. First, it set a limit to what he had to get done (for a new piece, maybe just a choppy, hands separate reading on day 1 for ex). Second, and maybe more important, it set a limit on my expectations - once he got through that crappy first reading of a tough new piece he was done with that for the day and could focus on something else.

Slow, steay progress rather than drilling deep on all things at all times. Worked very very well.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Mozart Sonata K333
One last thing: in hindsight, Betty Patnude's suggestion of designated roles for each practice during the week was the most generally helpful. It accomplished two things. First, it set a limit to what he had to get done (for a new piece, maybe just a choppy, hands separate reading on day 1 for ex). Second, and maybe more important, it set a limit on my expectations -...

Thoughts on that:
Even for adults, it is impossible to focus on many new things at the same time. We don't accomplish more: we have a muddle of many things vaguely almost reached. Practising for anyone is more effective if you set smaller goals and work toward them, and gradually change those goals during the week. Young children can concentrate on less things than adults (in terms of a list if instructions). On the other hand they have a wonderful way of getting absorbed in a single thing that we adults have sometimes lost.

It is easier to work on one difficult thing and see progress in it, knowing it's ok that it is "choppy" because that choppines will disappear. It is discouraging when you are in a muddle, and encouraging when you can see something that you can do an aim for. Children like to grow and succeed. All children aspire to be able to do what that grown ups can do.

As a lesson for all of us, it sounds like you didn't just get your child to put his nose to the grindstone. You also changed the way you guided his practice. Would you say that he enjoys his practising more? I'm curious whether there are times that might even make a beeline to the piano on his own.

(As parent in retrospect, i.e. mine's grown. As student in the present. The idea of what small children can concentrate on comes from teacher training through a wonderful mentor - non-music.)

Last edited by keystring; 05/19/10 07:39 AM.
jnod Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes he is a lot happier with practicing than previously. There are still bad days or days when he's not into it - I try not to force the issue when he's really at the end of his tether. And there have been additional challenges as well. For example, he's been working a lot on sight reading since his first exam (81%!) last January. He found sight reading very stressful at first but this turned out to be entirely caused by me sitting there drumming my fingers while he tried to concentrate. Now, I give him his line-a-day and leave the room for 5 minutes while he sorts through it. He frequently will call out "how much time left?" and that sort of thing, but mostly he just focuses and get's it done. Humongous improvement!

I guess the point is that as often as not, the problem was not him but me....

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Mozart Sonata K333
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by jnod
Gary D's comment was exactly what I was afraid of. In my kid's case the evidence against was that he was doing well at it. If he had been complaining steadily about his daily practice and had also been making little or no progress then I think it would have meant there was no point.

My only point was that we can't assume that *everyone* is going to enjoy doing *anything*. However, I would say that in most cases children start out, at the very least, nuetral. In other words, many small children have no idea what piano is, or what practicing an instrument will be like. Some of my most eager students have been those who did not ask for lessons but who were not against the idea either. Usually they develop a very positive attitude within the first two or three months.

By the way, adults beginners also have (usually) very little idea of what it means to practice an instrument.

Originally Posted by Gary D.

My only point was that we can't assume that *everyone* is going to enjoy doing *anything*. However, I would say that in most cases children start out, at the very least, nuetral. In other words, many small children have no idea what piano is, or what practicing an instrument will be like. Some of my most eager students have been those who did not ask for lessons but who were not against the idea either. Usually they develop a very positive attitude within the first two or three months.

By the way, adults beginners also have (usually) very little idea of what it means to practice an instrument.

Haha... I think if you effectively combined these two thoughts together you'd get;

Adult beginners (and many adults in general, too, I believe) have very little idea of how to practice.
Kids generally have an innate excitement about music, follow their instincts and actually practice very well when we let them.

Then, the adults who have no idea what it means to practice, quickly proceed to try to tell kids (who probably "practice" better just by instinct) "No don't do it like that! This is the way you practice!"

Go here ---> Piano Teaching Blog
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission