2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 48 of 140 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 139 140
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey 10,

It's a good thread. Thanks to Cus for starting it.
I'm very busy. Too many tunes to learn ...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by knotty

I'm very busy. Too many tunes to learn ...

Jazz is baaaaad for that.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi everyone
I just did the math. Correct me if I am wrong but this thread has been going for 14 months.
The average no. of reads is therefore 255 per day.
This is hot.

Thanks to Dave for his awesome methodology, to Knotty for his detailed and clear guidance, and to Ten for being such a motivated student.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Custard gets an gold star for doing extra maths.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I did some recordings today. I still don't feel like I have a real handle on lesson 12, so I'll give them a few days before moving on. But for what they're worth:

http://www.box.net/shared/zuq4pyh5v7fxj699q8oc
http://www.box.net/shared/sxs9qjldgmrpb7t7yaky

I also worked a little on sleepy leaves. I'm especially glad that I can play this from LH chords, not notes. It seems to come quite automatically, probably more from memory than from actually knowing the chords.

http://www.box.net/shared/xgxe94i05xll6rvjnk5j

I was just thinking the other day, how strong my fingers feel while playing, and I do put this down to the jazz hanons. The difference I notice is not so much in how I sound, but how I feel when I play. As I wrote in the thread started about technique, it's a physical pleasure now to play. I don't remember having that before from piano.

I know this is off-topic, but I need to play So what at this guitar party (aka recital) organised by my teacher on Wednesday evening. I am so looking forward to this being over. I could easily live without listening to Miles Davis ever again.

How's everyone? Knotty, you learning tunes? Custard, how's C min? Not two flat I hope. wink

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi 10
Great postings. All very enjoyable.
You can move onto Lesson 13 which I did not find easy.
That was great that you played your composition so well. It would sound even more cool with a rhythm section IMO. But time to move on to Lesson 3 composition which again I did not find easy.
You're racing through the lessons. Awesome work.

The only modal Miles Davis song I know is All Blues because Knotty played it. I really like it.
And I love Miles Davis tonal improvs. I listen to them as he is often a soloist in the Bird tunes which I'm singing.

All the best at the guitar party.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Lesson 12 sounded really good. Especially the blues.
Sleepy leaves sounded really good also now that you can play it well.

How are you doing on the Hanons? What lessons are you on, what speed etc ?

You will change your opinion on Miles, it's just a matter of time. He has some of the best music ever recorded.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Custard, how's C min? Not two flat I hope. wink

hehe, Scottish humour at its best ! I do like the sound of the C harm min scale.

I had very good intentions at the start of the week. I was going to compose over Lesson 7 Topsy in C min.

But regretfully I've not actually done any improv the last few days as I've had to arrange an unexpected overseas trip.
When I get back in a few weeks time, I'm going to get my piano tuned. I'm looking forward to starting Lesson 29 tunes. Still on Lesson 20 Hanons.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks guys! smile I had a real sense of pride doing sleepy leaves. I did sound an awful lot better once I played it decently.

If lesson 13 is also difficult, then I will spend more time here with 12. I have so many things I need to be doing, including guitar, and some classical piano, and really want to pay some attention to the Ligon book too.

My plan is to do a composition every fortnight.

I'm really working on keeping an open mind with Miles Davis.

Hanons - at lesson 12, yesterday I did up to 160 HT and 184 RH only. I think it was lesson 12, I had really struggled to keep hands together, and was tempted to drop the left. My hands were doing this strange symmetry thing around fingers 3 and 4 and getting confused. I'm glad I stuck at it, and now I'm back to normal (normal means there's 10-20 bpm difference between top speed HT and RH). I does just feel so good when I do it!

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Apologies Ten for misleading you about Lesson 13. I just looked back at my stuff and in fact I was away for 3 weeks last year. In fact Lesson 13 was NOT difficult. You should be able to kinda race through it.

As a matter of interest, why do you love doing Hanons with both hands ? In the skype masterclass, we were told that the point of the Hanons is to do the RH at massive speed.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple
Apologies Ten for misleading you about Lesson 13. I just looked back at my stuff and in fact I was away for 3 weeks last year. In fact Lesson 13 was NOT difficult. You should be able to kinda race through it.

okey doke.

As a matter of interest, why do you love doing Hanons with both hands ? In the skype masterclass, we were told that the point of the Hanons is to do the RH at massive speed.

For 10 minutes every day I sit and exercise my right hand. In that time, what am I to do with my left? Sit and pick my nose? Just feels like a waste of time for it not to play. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
or you could do 2(LH) against 3(RH) and make it a REAL challenge wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by knotty
or you could do 2(LH) against 3(RH) and make it a REAL challenge wink

mmmm. How do you mean? This would need to be straight, otherwise it's just a question of missing out a note in the LH.

How about 3 in LH against 2 in RH? (only kidding) grin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Yeah, I see what you mean. with the triplets, that would be really wild.
Well, you could set your met on 180 for the RH and a second met on 120 for the LH. smile

Yes, I'm only kidding, too! That's gotta be wild.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Lesson 12 for RH and lesson 2 for LH? Db in RH against C in LH?

Now we're getting silly.

A shade more seriously, I realise how much these hanons are responsible for drilling the major scales into my fingers. Majors, but not minors. That leaves me with the slightly unsettled feeling that the minor scales will never be as secure. I suppose I could just compensate by playing a few scales. Anyone done these hanons in minor?

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
For 10 minutes every day I sit and exercise my right hand. In that time, what am I to do with my left? Sit and pick my nose? Just feels like a waste of time for it not to play. smile

This is a tradeoff I have been struggling with, too. For a long time, I have wanted to improve my left hand technique, but I was not sure how to begin. After I had worked through the Hanons in JOI Book 1, I was so impressed with the results that I concluded this might help my LH too, so I stopped and started all over again using both hands. The downside of course is that RH is now playing much slower.

What I like about the JOI Hanons is that they seem to train your fingers to think freely and be more open to new ideas; my thumb no longer has a big hangup about playing black notes, it feels free to go and hit whatever note is crying out to be played, and give it a good whack. Also, they are more like jazz phrases, with triplets and sixteenths thrown in, than the original Hanons. I suppose they drill in the modes of the major scale, too, or at least the bottom five notes. Personally I feel that I have beat that dead horse quite a bit already; still, some refreshing can't hurt.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
beautiful, that's just what they were for. Can try LH alone to maximize LH chops, optional..

Dave Frank

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Hi Ed!

Originally Posted by Riddler

my thumb no longer has a big hangup about playing black notes,

Ditto

it feels free to go and hit whatever note is crying out to be played, and give it a good whack.

Again, ditto. I can whack with anything, even finger 4.

I suppose they drill in the modes of the major scale, too, or at least the bottom five notes.

They do.

(This feels like a pretty pointless post. But I do so agree.)

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Ditto with all the benefits above.

Yet other benefits I've found with Dave's Hanons:

1. Confidence to shift the whole hand when playing tunes. No more of the thumb under. This is liberating.

2. Even without practising the LH, my LH is significantly faster than before I started JOI. This is because the 2nd half of the Hanon is a mirror image which subconsciously trains the brain.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by custard apple

1. Confidence to shift the whole hand when playing tunes. No more of the thumb under. This is liberating.

Really? I do a lot of thumb under. If I can't, I can't, and I do some lateral movement now - that wasn't previously in my vocab. But thumb under is still smoother.

Last edited by ten left thumbs; 06/21/11 06:57 AM.
Page 48 of 140 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 139 140

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission