2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
It has been my lifelong dream to one day play the piano. I was told once that it is useless to try to learn piano as an adult, that it requires far too much tacit memory to accomplish without starting as a child. I say no better time than the present to prove 'em wrong!

As a child, 40 years ago, I had my first encounter with a piano, my grandmother's upright. On visits I would tap the keys randomly until I could make a simple melody, wanting to understanding everything about the instrument. My only other real experience with a piano was when I was a college student studying to become a graphic designer, I sat down with one for about an hour until I could play 12-bar blues in what almost sounded like real chords, lol. Unfortunately, until now, that was the extent of my experience with piano.

However, I have admired the piano greatly. I gravitate to piano-composed music from Chopin to John Barry; from Bacharach to Elton John; Chris Ledoux ... Coldplay ... Billy Powell ... Miles Davis ... Springstein, etc... At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, I have even dreamed I was playing the piano, composing, with enough clarity to remember complex chord progressions when I would awaken. (Alas, with no formal musical training I had no real way of recording those ideas.) I think I may have been born to play the piano, so to speak.

So it's with great joy I can announce I've finally taken the plunge and ordered my piano. I'm wondering what took so long! I'm anxiously awaiting my Yamaha CP5. In the meantime I've been enjoying the Piano For All tutorials, which are right down my alley. I can't wait! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Wish me luck!

Last edited by R.I.P. Utopians; 05/19/10 12:59 AM.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Welcome! and yes, GOOD LUCK!

I'm fairly new to the forum -and to the piano -myself. I'm still enjoying the "kid at Christmas" feeling too.

You'll "meet" a lot of really kind and helpful folks here - all of whom are keen to share the adventure!

Buon viaggio!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

OP Offline
Awesome! Thanks.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Good luck, R.I.P., and welcome to the forum!! smile And I have to say (as a person with more than a few doom and gloom inclinations of her own) that I absolutely love your login name. thumb

OP Offline
Thanks Monica! And, by the way, I checked out your YouTube channel. Bookmarked. You play beautifully.

Golden Fly One, by Alessandra Celletti is not completely unlike Philip Glass for obvious reasons is she? Philip Glass really, really does it for me. I hadn't been exposed to Alessandra Celletti yet, so I looked around and found this, which also suits me very much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_LvqlCkU5U&feature=related

Also enjoyed your rendition of Winter Twilight, by David Nevue. I'm going to enjoy returning to hear your playing. smile

K
K
Welcome R.I.P. I hate when people are so negative about learning as adults. If we couldn't learn those of us who were adults when computers arrived on the scene we wouldn't have been able to cope.

That is one long run-on sentence I hope it made sense. wink

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005
OP Offline
Lol! Well put, KBS.

Also, beyond cognitive abilities, I doubt I have significantly less dexterity, or hand-eye coordination for that matter, than when I was a kid. But the proof will be in the pudding. I'm intensely curious what the pace of my development will be. Either way, it will be a rest-of-my-life-long pursuit, no doubt.

Usually I have great patience, but the anticipation for my piano, which is on delayed delivery, is killer. It's been years since I've been this interested in anything.

P
P
welcome. I took up the piano aged 40 as well and am currently studying grade 6 after 5 years of playing.
Are you intending taking proper piano lessons at any stage RIP ?

Piano Yamaha U1
Studying Grade 8 piano and 6 theory

Currently working on:
Chopin Nocturne in C# Minor
Beethoven Sonata Op10.no.1
Martinu Columbine Sings
Chopin: Waltz 69 no.2
Scott Joplin: Pineapple Rag

Achievements:
Grade 1-7 Piano (LCM)
Grade 1-5 theory (LCM)
Congratulations!
I hope you are in a location where there are a good number of teachers to try. The piano teachers forum (and those good folk who will post here) will likely have some good advice on the process of connecting with a teacher whose approach fits you well. Please be aware that it's OK to study with someone for a few months and then change if the personality fit isn't right. As an adult you have a big advantage here, in terms of knowing how to get information and support from a mentor/teacher, and knowing when it's working for you.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome on board......

Join the club....playing piano or just noodling at the keys....it's so nice.......

We'll read your posts and we expect your recordings....

Best regards,
JohanB

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

Thanks, R.I.P., yes I do like a lot of the minimalist composers, especially minimalism with a blend of melody, like Celletti or Tiersen or even Einaudi. thumb

Keep playing and start recording or writing down those compositions of yours. If you look over our latest recital, you'll see that at least a couple of us (not me!) offer their own compositions as recital submissions.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Congratulations, R.I.P., on taking on the challenge of living out your dreams. I know you'll enjoy it. I bet you'll be ready for our next recital, and it's always exciting to hear someone's very first recorded piece!

Nancy

Estonia 168
OP Offline
Yes, I am PianoUI. In the meantime I thought I'd get my feet wet with a self-tutorial as I seem to learn best that way in general despite the obvious pitfalls. I also had a negative experience with guitar lessons as a kid which completely turned me off to guitar, so I realize I need to be careful how I go about selecting a teacher. Not sure how I'll go about that, especially since I live in a smaller city in Nebraska (pop. 10,000). May need to commute to Lincoln for lessons.

OP Offline
Thanks elecmuse3! You definitely touched on my concerns.

OP Offline
I love a good challenge NancyM333, thanks!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission