Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 68 of 238 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 237 238 >
Topic Options
#1838613 - 02/04/12 04:44 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
We outlined some new pieces from my Classics to Modern books and I'm doing a walse and another piece by Rhené-Baton (never heard of him before... live and learn!)
Funny that you mentioned Rhené-Baton. There is a sweet little piece of his called "Valsette" in my More Easy Classics to Moderns. I found it a few months ago when I was doing some sight reading work and just loved it. I had never heard of him before, either.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1838688 - 02/04/12 09:03 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA

Big piano day today - my first lesson in over a month, which gave me good things to work on for both my minuet (hmm, maybe resubmit to the recital in a few days after working on them?) and for my sonatina...

And my son had a ball in his lesson, playing duets with our instructor. That was very fun to listen to.

This afternoon my wife and I went to a concert featuring three former winners of the Cleveland International Piano competition, and another fellow who didn't win but has gone on to great things, and the new director accompanying a violinist from the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. This was to honor the woman who just retired as director of the piano competition. A great smorgasbord of players, playing Chopin, Liszt, and others. One (from Italy) played what he thought was the American premiere of two songs by a little known composer (name escapes me now) who may have been Beethoven's first teacher, and is just now being discovered and explored by scholars... very cool. The whole event was really really fun, invigorating, and inspiring.

So my achievement of the week, in addition to having submitted a piece to the renowned ABF recital, was to have had a stellar piano day today. smile

#1838706 - 02/04/12 09:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Fernando Almeida Offline

Loc: Brazil
I finished Beethoven Sonata No. 5, op 10/1, and started the Pathétique! Big day in my piano life =D

I'm starting with the first movement, and trying to learn the exposition at the moment.

Edited by Fernando Almeida (02/04/12 09:57 PM)

Beethoven - Sonata No. 8, op. 13, "Pathétique"
Chopin - Waltz No. 1, op. 18

#1838802 - 02/05/12 02:52 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Cheryl - Thank you for your compliment. But you know what - You are so much more talented than I. I cannot believe the progress you made in a short amount of time. You play your piece very musically. I am constantly surprised by the progress of you and others in the ABF forum who started piano in their adulthood. I have to think that all of you are innately musical but did not have chance to take lessons when you were kids. In my case, Piano and violin lessons were forced on me and I did not fully appreciate it until a few years ago when I decided to come back. I am a very late bloomer (hope i spelled it right. sorry i am so lazy to check. i swear I did not mean the cousin of the knickers). BTW I love Granado's pieces too:)

Bessel - Congratulations for having wonderful piano day. It sounds like you have a very musical family. I really wish I had a kid.. I knew I would've been a good piano mom although my hubby does not think so - he is looking at me putting peanut butter on keys of our toy piano for Charlie the puppy.

Fernando - Hey, i am working on the same sonata. I studied 1st and 2nd movements and am on the 3rd. 1st movement is very dramatic and fun to play - but it was very difficult and I struggled through it. I spent a lot of time but I could not quite get there, you know, how I wanted to sound. I am looking forward to hearing your recording someday here in the forum. I learn a lot from others.

About ABF recital - I don't know... I am debating if I should not enter this time. I am not even 50% satisfied with my Rach piece. I will play for my teacher and get her feedback on it on Wednesday. She hasn't heard it since November last year. We got too busy preparing for the annual piano ensemble in February and pushed everything on the back burner...
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1838814 - 02/05/12 03:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
MaryBee - the Valsette is one of my assigned pieces, as is the next one "Chanson" - I have both books and I get mixed up between which is which. (Easy Classics to Moderns and MORE Easy Classics to Moderns). I also found a hilarious little piece called The Music Box, which is played in the highest part of they keyboard...it really does sound like a music box!

Bessel - sounds like a marvelous musical day indeed! There are a number of PW people near Cleveland , you folks should have a piano party!

Fernando - the Pathetique! Wow! That's exciting. You'll have a great time with it, I'm sure.

Farmgirl - well, ..thanks! I am generally pretty happy with my progress. I think the thing I am most UNhappy with is how much trouble I have playing when friends come over. I get quite nervous. Mind you my friends are all musicians who have played for 30 and 40 years!!! They are wonderful and supportive, but I feel how far I have to go. I was fortunate to have music classes in high school, (I played Bass Clarinet) and I was in the school concert bands for five years. This gave me a fantastic introduction to all kinds of music, and to music theory. I don't consciously remember a lot of the theory, but it comes back to me now and then smile I also play guitar, not really well, but enough for Girl Guide singalongs and amusing myself. So while I am new to piano as an adult (and also the bass clef! All my high school music was written in the treble)....I'm not new to music. I think that has to help !

I suggest you join the recital with a less complicated piece -something that doesn't stress you. Something that lets you share the joy that comes when you are relaxed and making music you love.

#1838840 - 02/05/12 06:16 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryAnn Offline

Loc: Japan
Congrats Bessel, Fernando, and casinitaly on this week's achievements.

I'm feeling pretty good about piano today. I can't play the Krieger minuet perfectly, but I'm making progress. And I've learned the right hand of Musette. I didn't get much practice in this week, so I was happy that my lesson went so well. She's started me on another minuet already (D minor, I think). Though if this week is like last, I won't' get to it!

#1838874 - 02/05/12 08:22 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

Farmgirl -

I'm with cas, hoping that you can find something to submit to the recital... doesn't have to be your Rach! I've listened to some of the previous recitals (I've only been here for one) and have enjoyed your playing... hope to hear more!

By the way, I don't think I congratulated you on your canine acquisition yet... congratulations! Very cute, looks like a lot of fun.

#1838885 - 02/05/12 08:45 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Farmgirl, don’t deprive us of your participation in ABR! I’m sure you have many mastered pieces to offer us.

Congrats on your progresses, MaryAnn. That minuet in D minor is so beautiful (BWV Anh. 132). I studied it the last year, and loved it.

This week I’ve managed to play the first part of the little prelude BWV 934. This is the best thing of playing piano. When I begin learning a new piece, I often think that I’m not able to play it, but finally I manage to learn the piece. Obviously I play into my poor technique, but it’s pretty satisfying.

Cheers!

My website

#1838950 - 02/05/12 11:19 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
bessel - nice piano day. I forget how wonderful it is to hear someone else play piano, tho I get live music a lot which is also a real upper. But last month a friend and I went to hear Anderson and Roe, the piano duettists and it was great! I think all of it was their own arrangements, and they sell sheet music so you can try it at home laugh Then a couple of weeks ago I was in a music marathon fundraiser with all kinds of live music, including lots of piano, and I was in heaven.

FarmGirl - like Cheryl, Bessel and Recaredo I'd love hearing something that you've played for a long time and feel comfortable with if you don't want to do the Rachmaninoff. That's what I've done the last couple of times, and this time, too - a real vanilla arrangement of something, but one that I can nail, after about 10 takes laugh So please feel free to join us.

Cathy

#1839076 - 02/05/12 03:47 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Cheryl - Glad to hear about your progress on the bluesy piece. I seem to remember that kind of thing gave you some trouble a while back...... or was that someone else. Anyway, congrats.

I get the same feeling around my musician friends who have played together for years - even worse, none of them play piano, so they are unlikely to understand how doggone hard this instrument is to learn. Most are self-taught guitarists.

Ooooooo, an accessible Grandos piece?........ "Dedicatoria"?

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1839202 - 02/05/12 07:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Ahhhh, Jim, I know that piece well!!! Are you going to begin working on it? Granados wrote it for his son. I think that it is remarkably beautiful and bought the music for it immediately after hearing it. It is on my "soon" to do list along with a return to Chopin's prelude in E minor and Kabalevsky's Novelette (I have a long/later to do list....both in terms of length and amount of time before I am able to attempt).

How is your MacDowell piece coming along?

Jotur: I love the expression "vanilla." Next time my teacher suggests a boring predictable or ugly piece I think I might say something like "This piece strives to be vanilla but has no chance of success!!!"

Cheryl: Philip Glass wrote a piece called the music box. Have you ever heard it? I think it may have been used in a film called "The Candyman." Sometimes it is also referred to as Helen's theme. Check it out on youtube. I LOVE IT!!!! Might this be the piece you are playing?

#1839206 - 02/05/12 07:57 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
BrokenChord Offline

I finished Fantasia in D Minor this week. Just in time for the recital. I still need to polish up the Presto sections but it is Recital ready.

Awesome.

#1839311 - 02/06/12 12:58 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Bessel - sounds like a marvelous musical day indeed! There are a number of PW people near Cleveland , you folks should have a piano party!
What a great idea! What do you think, bessel? Should we try to put something together?

FarmGirl - I'd miss you at the recital! Add my vote to the others asking you to consider reviving an old piece.

jotur - I've seen some of Anderson and Roe's videos online. It must have been great to see them live!

#1839323 - 02/06/12 02:24 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Ok, I feel the pressure now. I will record something. This time not classical. Since I don't have so much time to practice (i only have about an hour), it's not realistic to think that I can revive my old pieces within a week or so.
so it's gotta be something I can sightread. Someone in the forum suggested a Super Mario's Galaxy piece arranged by Aivi Tran. I might give it a go. It's a very fun piece to play. This girl Aivi is extremely talented. I also found very interesting Japanese piece in my music cabinet. It's called "Haru no Umi" which means Spring Ocean composed by Michio Miyagi. I started reading it and realized it's too long. Anyway, I will try to submit something. Thanks.
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#1839324 - 02/06/12 02:35 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Recaredo - There are many of us in the same boat - we play music we love, to the best of our ability - and that ability doesn't always satisfy us - but we are all getting better, note by note!!

Jotur - a musical fundraiser? That must have been a FUNraiser too! What a great way to spend your time!

JimF - well, it seems that not too long ago anything other than quarternotes was a challenge! lol.... But yes, the syncopation and rhythm of these jazzy-bluesy pieces was really hard to get into. However now that I have I find that they are really very relaxing to play and have helped remove the tension from arms and hands - I tried playing a new piece yesterday, which is usually a tension trigger-but NO! I was relaxed, dare I say..."mellow"? It was a great feeling. I feel like I've overcome a major hurdle.
As for my musical friends not getting how hard it is - in this instant it isn't the case, they do know and they are terribly encouraging (they even pick pieces in the key of C and write simplified lead sheets for me, bless them)... I'm just terrible self -conscious.

The Granados piece is Dedication(in my book it is in English as this book came from the UK. I think the Spanish title is more elegant) I can't wait to get started. I have to work up to the idea of holding one note down while playing 2 others, that's a tension trigger too. As a way to lead into this I'm working on Burgmuller Limpid Stream (Rusciello Limpido!)

GlassLove, Christine, I've been playing a bit of Kabalevsky too and quite like his music. I will check the Glass Music box piece, but I know what I'm playing is by a Mr. Samuel Maykapar.
This isn't a vanilla piece. It is butterscotch with chocolate sprinkles. smile

Broken Chord - I will look forward to hearing your piece in the recital!

MaryBee, you didn't post here, but I see you're in too - wondeful!!!

Farmgirl -- hurrah! We convinced to you play! Relax and have fun with it!

Well, time to get the workday rolling - cheers everyone!

#1839452 - 02/06/12 09:48 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
bessel Offline

Originally Posted By: MaryBee
What a great idea! What do you think, bessel? Should we try to put something together?

MaryBee - I'd be interested in attending, but couldn't host (no reasonable piano) and am pretty constrained by 2 kids (3 and 7)... but think it's a fun idea! [But would probably explode from nerves trying to play at such! I assume the idea is that everyone takes a turn at the keys at some point?] How many Cle-region folks are on PW, especially ABF, do you think?

#1839498 - 02/06/12 11:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

http://youtu.be/0oFoNFVB4IA

This is the piece, right, Cheryl? Very beautiful. And thank you for introducing me to a new composer. If you will notice, the UIPianoped channel features quite of few of his pieces (expertly played). I love the Autumn piece too!!!! Do you have the entire collection?

Okay, anyone care to guess which website I intend to visit next? Sigh. Here goes another sheet music purchase.

#1839502 - 02/06/12 11:44 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: GlassLove]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: GlassLove
http://youtu.be/0oFoNFVB4IA

This is the piece, right, Cheryl? Very beautiful. And thank you for introducing me to a new composer. If you will notice, the UIPianoped channel features quite of few of his pieces (expertly played). I love the Autumn piece too!!!! Do you have the entire collection?

Okay, anyone care to guess which website I intend to visit next? Sigh. Here goes another sheet music purchase.

Yes, that's the piece. However, I can't imagine playing it that quickly! Frankly I think it sounds better a little slower (though not as slowly as I'm currently playing it lol). I only have one other of his pieces in my books It is called the Sheperd's Flute

Happy Shopping smile

#1839684 - 02/06/12 05:19 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Christine - No, I wasn't planning to start on Granados' Dedicatoria/Dedication...... I was just guessing that would be the Granados piece Cheryl and her teacher had chosen to work on later. However................ smirk

Cheryl - After my last post I was listening to Dedicatoria again and decided to look for the music..... by the way I guessed that one because last summer I told my teacher to put it on my wish list and she said ok, that one isn't too far off... anyway, up pops this book and next thing you know my music collection has grown by another 1/4 inch. blush So now I have some Granados music to wish upon and stick under my teachers nose from time to time, asking "are we there yet?" ha Oh, and thanks for the intro to Samuel Maykapar. I will keep an eye out for his music now.

The MacDowell piece is coming along and I've been working on dynamics for the last two weeks. It has a wide range from pp to ff and back several times. Unfortunately, my technique seems to have ff, something less than that, and then missed/silent notes.... not exactly the broad range I'm looking for. When I record it it sounds much flatter than I imagine I am playing. Oh well, no one ever said it would be easy. It is actually at the point where a lot of times my teacher says OK, lets move on. This time, however, I've really grown to love the piece and I may insist that we go the extra distance to get it over the last hump. We'll see at lesson time tomorrow.

The Ravel 1913 Prelude is going to be my recital piece this Spring. I cannot believe she wants to tie my hands up in knots like this piece does in front of 100 people, but I guess she knows what she is doing help

Jim

Estonia L190 #7284

#1839793 - 02/06/12 08:32 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

That is the same collection that I have, Jim, and stuck it under my teacher's nose, I have!!!!!! whome
I have another piece by Schumann (foreign lands and people) that is at that same level (as the Granados) and another Schumann,Mignon, that is a wee bit more difficult, all on my "let's try it pretty soon" list. These, along with my first Chopin (a return to something that I tried a few months ago), along with a beautiful piece by Kabalevsky called Novelette round out the list.

My teacher is really big into theory the past few weeks. She gives me the melody and asks that I fill in the chords by the next lesson. I find the music pretty "vanilla" (heheh Jotur), but the exercise is rewarding (so far I have done Greensleeves and Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head). I continue to work on my Clementi (finally started working on the 3rd movement) and the Linn piece in my signature. I think I will get a pass on the Vandall piece this week, I like Vandall, but for some reason this piece did absolutely nothing for me. I suspect it is that I cannot play it as musically as my teacher. She plays it and I think "Hmmmm.....it sounds like something I could work on." After about three weeks under my fingers, it still sounds "yech" to me.

#1839802 - 02/06/12 08:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I should add, it is really hard to find a collection of Maykapar opus 28 (you are all too far away to hear it...but trust me, a great sigh of relief could be heard from my husband who cannot believe the amount of money that I have spent on sheet music the past year. Just between you and me, I sometimes order things from Amazon instead of sheetmusic.plus just so he might conclude that I have ordered an academic book or something when he sees the bill blush). You can find a smattering of Maykapar's pieces here and there, but I have yet to find the complete collection. I went to the music store tonight and found a collection of pieces that included three of his, but most of the others were repeats of others that I have (and the collection, with CD was 25.99). I passed because (well, see above).
I listened to many of the pieces. So far I love the music box, the orphan, and autumn the best.

#1839803 - 02/06/12 08:43 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
GlassLove - yep. Vanilla. My go-to alternatives laugh

Anderson and Roe - yes, they were really dynamic as piano players, and very personable in their interactions with the audience. I was amazed at their communication when they were on two pianos - I couldn't figure out how they communicated, in fact laugh But obviously something was in sync for them. And of course, on ONE piano they were simply astounding. I can hardly cross my own hands, let alone someone else's :\ But they do it easily. Their selections ran from bombastic to lyrical - there were sure no boring moments! It was worth the price of admission smile

Cathy

#1839885 - 02/06/12 11:18 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Kyle_G Offline

Loc: IL
I finished Learning "leader of the Band" and started "Maple Leaf Rag". I still regret failing at violin lessons when I had the option to take piano lessons now 6years later I decide to take piano lessons starting my Jr. year in highschool. So far I have been taking lessons for a little over 6 months. I'm glad that I have the teacher I do. Too bad she wont be able to give me lessons anymore after may this year, she got hired to work on a river boat in Branson Missouri she has to work for 6 months.

Edited by Amature_Rebuilder (02/06/12 11:21 PM)

#1841220 - 02/09/12 11:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I started two new pieces at my lesson last night -- Erik Satie's Gnossiennes #5 and Mussorgsky's The Old Castle from Pictures at an Exhibition. Starting new pieces is always a thrill, but I'm especially excited about the Satie because the rhythms are going to be a great challenge, and I'm also kind of in love with it right now.

I've been teaching my grandson to play the piano, and the other day he asked me to record a piece that he wanted to play. So I turned on the recorder and he proceeded to improvise for about 4 minutes, using just the lowest octave on the piano, and including some hilarious sound effects. We edited it last night to delete some sections where he inadvertently added comments like, "press the pedal down", "let go of the pedal", and "Ow!" (I don't know what that was about.) He named the piece Ghosts Booing, Zombies Chewing. You can imagine what the sound effects were. laugh

#1841256 - 02/09/12 12:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Jim - we are all becoming music collectors, aren't we? We should have a survey - how tall is your music collection? lol

I understand what you mean about brining out the range of your pieces - I am starting to feel that LACK in mine! I'm really itching to start making more use of more of the keyboard. I listened to the Ravel 1913 Prelude on youtube... I have to say that I couldn't play that. Nothing to do with the difficulty - it is the sound of it! ouch. It gave me shivers!!! I really didn't like it..... I'm sure you'll do a good job on it, but if my teacher asked me to play it I'd rebel!

Christine -that's an interesting exercise your teacher has you doing with theory/chords! That is going to be great for helping you do some improve and just noodle about playing songs by ear! What fun!

Amateur Rebuilder - the Maple Leaf Rag! Good for you! That's such a great piece. I have it on my "someday" list.

MaryBee - I listened to the youtube of Satie's Gnossiennes - very pretty indeed. I also checked out the Mussorgsky's The Old Castle from Pictures at an Exhibition, because I wasn't sure what part of PAAE it was.... As soon as I heard the first few notes I recognized it. Also very very pretty. (Mind you I'd love to play the Promenade part too......)
What a great set of pieces to be working on . and I just LOVE your grandson's title..... You'll have to make a recording some time.

My AOTW was that I really did a good job on my blues piece for my teacher -she was thrilled!
I also played the music box for her (from memory, with a few glitches) she thought it was hilarious (the piece, not my playing).
We played 2 jazzy duets which were splendid fun, and she invited me to a piano party in March! I'm very UP UP UP.
Another bit of fun is that I'd sent a recording of my blues piece to a friend in Tennessee last week. It was a bit wobbly, but I was showing him my progress, not showing of a completed work.... He made a second track and accompanied me with his electric guitar. What a hoot.

#1841268 - 02/09/12 01:13 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
bessel Offline

Originally Posted By: MaryBee

I've been teaching my grandson to play the piano, and the other day he asked me to record a piece that he wanted to play. So I turned on the recorder and he proceeded to improvise for about 4 minutes, using just the lowest octave on the piano, and including some hilarious sound effects. We edited it last night to delete some sections where he inadvertently added comments like, "press the pedal down", "let go of the pedal", and "Ow!" (I don't know what that was about.) He named the piece Ghosts Booing, Zombies Chewing. You can imagine what the sound effects were. laugh

Do I sense another imminent submission to the recital? Or is that piano bar material? smile

Love the title!

#1841321 - 02/09/12 02:55 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Marybee,
Here is a nice CD for you, if you don't already own it. I had been under the impression that Pictures was originally written as a set of orchestrated pieces until my husband bought this for me for Christmas!

http://www.amazon.com/Mussorgsky-Picture...5939&sr=8-1

Delightful recording.

Gnossienne # 5 is one of my favorites!!!! When I read your post I cried out loud "Lucky Duck!!!" I am only qualified to satisfy my Gnossienne cravings with my Aldo Ciccolini collection. A few more years before I can do anything like that on my own. It will be worth the wait though. I cannot wait to hear your piece when it is done!!!

Jim--I love Ravel. The 1913 Prelude is extremely beautiful and I am impressed that you will be playing it in the Spring recital. I am sure that many of the audience members will love you for providing respite from the Bastien primer songs that many of the students will play.

My first exposure to Ravel was with his violin music. I didn't listen to much of his piano works until I started playing myself. I definitely think that it is something of an acquired taste.

Do you like this Ravel, Cheryl?

http://youtu.be/Imu8Qx-QHcM

Congratulations on playing your blues piece well!!! Is it the same one you recorded for the recital? Can't wait to hear it!!! And do record your music box. I love that piece.
Another beautiful piece that you might enjoy is The Song of Twilight by Y. Nakada. Beautiful!!!!!

My achievement of the week is really kinda silly given how long I have been at it--but I CAN FINALLY HEAR MY OWN "MUDDY" PEDAL. My teacher often points it out to me in lessons, but I just couldn't hear it well enough to do anything about it. Finally today I was playing a piece that I don't especially like (it is acceptable to my ears when my teacher plays it ((no great love affair with it even then)), but I have never liked my own playing of it. I finally figured it out!!!! It is my muddy pedaling. I can't wait for her to hear my less muddy sound tomorrow at my lesson!!

#1841380 - 02/09/12 04:49 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Offline

Christine, compliments on hearing your own muddy pedal! That's an achievement.
I'm listening to the Ravel link you provided...... overall, no, it isn't grabbing me - there are some parts that are ok, but ...nope, wouldn't go out of my way to hear it again. (But I like it better than the piece Jim "has to" play smile

I was surprised to see the album too! I never realized they were recorded for piano! woohoo... I feel a shopping spree coming on!

As for my recital piece... no it isn't my blues piece. I didn't think I'd have it ready for recording in time.
I spent an hour trying to record it tonight, figuring I would forego being in the 11th slot and go in later with a more interesting piece... but I don't know.. .I just couldn't get a good recording. My hubby says to just plug in and record every night and I'm bound to get over the jitters of being recorded and to get a good version. I'll try again. It is such a wonderful piece. I bounce all over the bench when I'm playing (hey maybe that's why I can't get a good recording lol!

Edited by casinitaly (02/09/12 04:50 PM)

#1841429 - 02/09/12 06:04 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Cheryl, I'm really surprised you were repelled by the Ravel Prelude...... in fact, I'm thinking it was the quality of the youtube versions that was responsible. I was repelled by them too. None of them that I found are any good except this one link which is beautiful but can barely be heard (turn your volume up). I don't particularly like his interpretation and I also like the tempo a bit slower than his pace, but it is miles better than the others on youtube.

The prelude does have some unexpected tones, but I think they really add to the ultimate resolution in the piece.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1841828 - 02/10/12 11:09 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay, Cheryl. I know you will LOVE piece by Ravel.

http://youtu.be/PuFwt66Vr6U

True??

Page 68 of 238 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 237 238 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (alfredo capurso, ajames, accordeur, 39 invisible), 1722 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326069 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission