Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 5 of 215 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 214 215 >
Topic Options
#1479671 - 07/23/10 06:01 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
This week I recovered a piece I hadn't played for over six months. A Busoni-Bach chorale prelude Ich ruf zu dir....

It took a little under 4 hours to "get it back" and playable from memory. For a full report see link in sig..

Daily ramblings....

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1479703 - 07/23/10 08:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EJR]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
This was really last week's achievement. My (summer) teacher had asked me to start on the second movement of Mozart K545. At the next lesson I played the opening 16 bars or so. He sat thoughtful for a minute and said (paraphrasing) "I've always thought that that movement was about the same level of difficulty as the first but you made it easy. Do the rest for next week". And that was it.

Sadly today's lesson won't be so good! The movement got harder and I goofed by trying to learn it all a little instead of concentrating on getting another section in good shape. Oh well, we live and learn!

Kawai K3

#1479963 - 07/23/10 03:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I'd been indulging in naughty period of neglecting my sight reading, mostly because I had reached an odd impasse where all the practice material I could find seemed either way too easy or way too hard.

But I noticed that my general music reading skills had improved lately, so I got out the Keith Snell Preparatory Level Repertoire books I had used in the very beginnings of my piano adventure, and was surprised to discover that I could sit down and read the music off the page fluently enough to get the gist of the tune pretty quicly.

Most (not all) are still too hard for me to sight read at a steady tempo, but now a new and pleasant part of my practice routine is reading through a couple of new pieces, and just discovering what they sound like.

One of my major piano goals that I talked about here last fall was to be able to sit down with a book of unfamiliar sheet music, and be able to get a few new tunes sounding musical with an afternoon's pleasant practice. It appears I am now capable of doing this!

neglected piano blog

#1479973 - 07/23/10 03:40 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: tangleweeds]
Johan B Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
This week I found in a library-musicscore-book a arrangement of the main theme of the movie Schindlers list. It was written by the Dutch pianist Jan Vayne. Mostly is the theme written in G-minor......Vayne put it in a real new accompaniment in A-minor. I enjoyed it to play....

Also nice other arrangements in this album of Jan Vayne

Best regards,
Johan B

Edited by Johan B (07/23/10 03:43 PM)

Currently working on Sonaten of Haydn and Mozart...
'Nil volentibus arduum'

#1479983 - 07/23/10 03:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Johan B]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
I learned "Martha My Dear". It needs practice, but it doesn't sound bad either. Now I have 4 songs/pieces I can play all the way through. Yay!

#1480004 - 07/23/10 04:23 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Little_Blue_Engine]
basskid Offline

Loc: staten island new york
I am a beginner of 6 months and today I started playing Fur Elise. Only took two days to learn. I have most of the "beggining" down. Just need to clean it up.

Douglas.

#1480337 - 07/24/10 02:57 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: basskid]
casinitaly Online   content

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Sounds like some good things are happening!
Elwyn, I checked out your blog- very interesting to read about how you approached the challenge!
Andy- great feedback from the teacher! Good for you!
Tangleweed - isn't that satisfying? A real sign of progress!
Johan, - Schindler's List is one of my favourite films - thanks for posting a link to the book!
Little Blue, you are on your way to building a great repertoire!
Basskid -doesn't it feel great to get started on a new piece and feel you're doing well?

Complimenti a tutti!

#1480950 - 07/25/10 01:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I think I finally had a breakthrough in voicing on my Mendelssohn piece - Op.19 No.1. Yeah!! I was starting to feel like I was never going to get it.

Another nice thing, but not one of my accomplishments, is that when my piano tech came to tune my piano this week, he also adjusted the touch to be a little lighter. It's so much easier to play my trills and turns now. smile

#1481233 - 07/25/10 03:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
MF-Blues Offline

I uploaded my first MP3 recording of Enya's Watermark this week in the members recordings section, I have messed about for some time with piano but never really performed anything as complete as this so I'm quite excited about it to be honest.

Cheers

Martin

#1481238 - 07/25/10 03:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MF-Blues]
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bristol, UK
Deciding definitely not to read any more entries in the "...can I get to Julliard in 12 years..." (and I've only been playing for 10 weeks) thread... laugh

Daily ramblings....

#1481913 - 07/26/10 04:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: EJR]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Wow...it sounds like there are a lot of wonderful accomplishments out there!!

I'm excited this week as I just got my piano tuned and cleaned for the very first time! Now my teacher can teach me how to use those pedals!! (I have been working with a pedal-less keyboard up to this point!) Will have to go back and redo some of the music to get that pedaling down!!

My piano has been sitting, not being played for a very long time. (could be decades), so the keys were difficult to press, but they are much easier now (for the limited play time I was able to get during lunch).

Interesting to read everyone's comments!

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1481938 - 07/26/10 05:22 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: nancymae]
Jose Hidalgo Offline

I am mastering a Montuno, that I want to use as warm up routine and for having fun

that's my happy tip of the week

#1482392 - 07/27/10 10:53 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Jose Hidalgo]
Mozart79 Offline

Loc: Canada
I have been working on a Mozart piece and my teacher wanted me to try to memorize the piece and play it. I am proud of my accomplishment because I fully remembered the piece, and played it well with all the dynamics.

Adult Piano Adventures (The F.J.H Music Company)
RCM Prepatory
RCM Grade 1
RCM Grade 2 (working on)

RCM Theory
Hanon

#1482836 - 07/27/10 10:54 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Mozart79]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wrapping up my study of Chopin nocturne op9 no. 1, and memorized half of clair de lune. Also, picked up a great Sonatine collection for sight reading practice. Some are quite cute really!

#1482968 - 07/28/10 03:31 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Rui725]

Wonderful stuff! I feel energized just reading your posts!

Trilling news MaryBee smile
I love Enya, MF-blues - I'm going to check out your recording!
EJR - excellent decision - best to avoid posts you know are just going to make you roll your eyes eh?
NancyMaey, your fingers are going to be flying now!
Joe, I'm not familiar with Montuno.... research time for me!- that's one of the things I love about this forum. I read about what others are playing and it opens up new horizons for me!
Mozart 79 - what satisfaction! Complimenti!
Rui725 - Sounds like you are on a great roll of progress here!

Thanks for sharing all the good news - it really is inspirational to read about everyone's successes!

#1483167 - 07/28/10 12:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Today my teacher told me she was very impressed with my dedication and how well I took note of correcting technique (specifically in my case hand and arm position and relaxation)

She said I was a wonderful student! Made my day.

That along with the fact that we played sight-reading duets for an hour and a half (after the lesson), just for the fun of it!!!
I played my first Mendleson piece today.

Edited by casinitaly (07/28/10 12:41 PM)

#1483556 - 07/29/10 12:20 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Wow, Cas - that must've given you such a boost.
I still haven't found a teacher - waiting till I get back from vacation.
My achievement of the week, I guess, is that I can play page one of the Oscar Peterson book well enough that I've moved on to page 2. (Slow but steady.....)

#1483562 - 07/29/10 12:32 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: joyoussong]
tranquillo Offline

My accomplishment of the week:

Practicing faithfully on piano assignments, then being able to follow that with songs played for pure enjoyment. The evening comes, I am still playing, the sun sets, the stars come out and quietness descends making tone production more clarified and rewarding. I am learning more and more how to gain sought after sounds.

#1483567 - 07/29/10 12:38 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: tranquillo]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: tranquillo
My accomplishment of the week:

Practicing faithfully on piano assignments, then being able to follow that with songs played for pure enjoyment. The evening comes, I am still playing, the sun sets, the stars come out and quietness descends making tone production more clarified and rewarding. I am learning more and more how to gain sought after sounds.

wow, well said!

#1483632 - 07/29/10 06:40 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Rui725]
CebuKid Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Rui725
Wrapping up my study of Chopin nocturne op9 no. 1, and memorized half of clair de lune. Also, picked up a great Sonatine collection for sight reading practice. Some are quite cute really!

Rui, what is the full title of that Sonatine collection? I need more sight-reading material too. smile

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

#1483649 - 07/29/10 08:07 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: CebuKid]
Rui725 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sonatine Colllection 1 followed with scribbles known as the Chinese language, haha.

It's a local publishing company that threw a whole bunch of Sonatines into one and sells it for real cheap

#1483653 - 07/29/10 08:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Rui725]

A nice collection is the Clementi Op 36 - there are 6 sonatine. I'm working on the first one.
There are a number of editions - Amazon has some which also have CDs.

#1483714 - 07/29/10 10:25 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
That along with the fact that we played sight-reading duets for an hour and a half (after the lesson), just for the fun of it!!!
How fun! I wish I had someone I could do that with.

Originally Posted By: tranquillo
Ahhh. You are inspirational!

#1483875 - 07/29/10 01:51 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: MaryBee]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
CebuKid,

If you go to the sheetmusicplus site and seach under piano, sonatina, you will find several different collections. The Fabers have two albums at what looks like early intermediate/intermediate level.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1483913 - 07/29/10 02:41 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
If you want lotsa sonatinas for sight reading, perhaps you should check out this offering from CDSheetMusic:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Piano-Sonatinas-And-Standard-Study-Works-Version-2-0/7868051

Here's the contents:
http://www.cdsheetmusic.com/products/disk_contents.cfm?product=17

SheetMusicPlus has a 20% off sale on all their CD Sheet Music until August 4th.

Edited by tangleweeds (07/29/10 02:44 PM)

neglected piano blog

#1485878 - 08/01/10 01:17 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: tangleweeds]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
Today my teacher told me she was very impressed with my dedication and how well I took note of correcting technique (specifically in my case hand and arm position and relaxation)

She said I was a wonderful student! Made my day.

I played my first Mendleson piece today.

It's spelled Mendelssohn, dear. :P
But in all seriousness, it amazes me how fast you seem to progress! What piece was it that you started?

Originally Posted By: tangleweeds
If you want lotsa sonatinas for sight reading, perhaps you should check out this offering from CDSheetMusic:
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Piano-Sonatinas-And-Standard-Study-Works-Version-2-0/7868051

You sightread that stuff? O_O
I've been busting my ass over that stuff for hours, haha! That's pretty amazing, give yourself a pat on the back!
How long have you been playing?

Student/apprentice technician

#1486042 - 08/01/10 05:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Pianosaurus Rex]

P-Rex, thanks for the spelling correction - that's what I get for rushing and not checking! lol....

I will have to check the name of the piece we played - she kept pulling them out and we just kept plugging away at them. It was a charming piece - we're meeting tomorrow and I'll write it down.

Things have started to come together in the last few weeks. Of course everything is relative, but I definitely can feel a change in what I'm able to do, it is very exciting!

#1486666 - 08/02/10 02:31 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
It really is a good thing to be able to find the positive in everything we do.

I am pleased with the fact that I don't get as anxious as I used to when I go to my lessons. I am also much less critical/self defeating. Now I can practice without beating myself up over every little thing. Because of this I think I am making better progress than I have in the past. My reading is getting better as well.

#1486671 - 08/02/10 02:37 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Kymber]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Getting a recording for the piano bar that I was happy enough with on take #1. It's not perfect (but what is) and I covered a big flub nicely I think (not going to say what it is!!).

Kawai K3

#1487198 - 08/03/10 10:18 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Andy Platt]

The MendelsSOHN duet I played with my teacher is OP 62 N. 1
It is peculiar in that the "primo" part - the easy one - is mostly only right hand until the end.

This week my achievement was that for the first time ever I played something better during the lesson than at home! woohoo!

Kymber - that sounds like great progress!
Andy - how nice you were able to cover up your "flub"..... smile I won't even bother listening for it !

(edited to add: I've just listened to your piece - lovely!!!!!! You have a really nice touch, and your playing is really even and steady. I'm inspired to put that piece on my "must learn"list! May I ask when you started plyaying? )

Isn't it stressful recording? Worse than playing in front of people because any mistake you make is always going to be there! argh!!

I'm hoping I'll have my piece in shape before the 15th to submit for the August recital. I dropped the Vinciguerra I was working on as I realized I was never going to get it anywhere near the right speed for August.

Page 5 of 215 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 214 215 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
113 registered (bennevis, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, anotherscott, 36251, bfb, 35 invisible), 1322 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249714 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission