2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone!
I'm new on this forum,found lots of useful info here.
And now I would like to ask for some advice.

I have been playing piano for 14 years, but for various reasons had to take a break for 2 years. Now i finally have the chance to continue with my hobby and decided to buy a new digital piano (was using an acoustic before).
My budget is about 1200 euros and after reading several reviews I have found that one of the most popular instruments in this price range are the Yamaha CLP-320 and the Kawai ES6.

Now I need help to decide which one of those two to buy (or maybe there are other good pianos in this price range that I should know about?)

I do understand that it would be the best to go to a music store and try both out, but I haven't had the time to visit one yet. I plan to do it soon,though.

What I would really like to know is which of the 2 pianos has better key action. I also read that Yamaha's CLP 330+ / CLP 230 GH3 keys are on a whole new level compared to the 320's GH, so would it be better to save up 300 more euros and get a clp 230 / 330?

I also would like to add that size and portability of the instrument don't matter to me. What really is important, is the piano sound and the key action.

I would really appreciate if someone who has had experience with these instruments could give me some advice.

greetings from France,
Phil

p.s excuse me for my english if I made any mistakes.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
For the touch...take the Yamaha.....

For the sound.....matter of taste....

Funtionality:
The Kawai has, in my opinion, many bells and whistles like rhythmboxes etc.....

The yamaha is only a nice piano with some more voices.

So what do you want? Playing classical, jazz, modern, new-age etc....so only piano...take the yammy....

Good luck to your choice....

Best regards from The Netherlands.

Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the quick reply Johan B!

I won't really have a use for all the whistles, "meows" , etc laugh . Maybe some strings and a layering function to put them on top of piano sound, but in most cases only pure piano sound, so I guess I should go with the Yamaha then. Next step is to test both pianos in a store. Will probably do it some time next week.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Keep me informed....Phillie....good luck.......

I play the clp320 PE...is some more glossy...... grin
Mostly play bach, Schumann, jazzstandards and lazy jazzy music on it with piano 2....

But above all: go to stores, play, feel, listen and make your decision.

Best regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by phillie
.. GH3 keys are on a whole new level compared to the 320's GH,

I also would like to add that size and portability of the instrument don't matter to me. What really is important, is the piano sound and the key action.

The difference between Yamaha's GH3 and GH is subtle. You might even be hard pressed to notice the difference. GH3 does allow you to repeat a note without first stopping it.

The Yamaha GH/GH3 will have a slightly heaver feel compared to Kawai. Neither is better, you will just have to try them.

If sound is important, the weak link in most all digital pianos is the speaker system. Imagine a stereo system that used those tiny speaker found in most digital pianos. How would a CD recording of a great piano performance sound like if your HiFi Stereo used the speakers from the digital piano? So, you may want to look at improving the sound by connecting the Line Out on the DP to a better external sound system

When you test the pianos, bring with you some high quality headphones so you can hear the internal sound, bypasing the speakers

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What I would really like to know is which of the 2 pianos has better key action. I also read that Yamaha's CLP 330+ / CLP 230 GH3 keys are on a whole new level compared to the 320's GH, so would it be better to save up 300 more euros and get a clp 230 / 330?
Definitely go for the better keyboard. The GH3 is worth it. But note that the better Kawai and Roland models have fine keyboards, too. Try them out.

In this price range, extra money buys a much better keyboard action. Go for it.

G
G
Given, there is no substitute for a live sound/touch/feel audition.
We're also looking at DPs for my daughter, tomorrow’s audition of the CA63 (compared to a Yamaha CLP340 and Roland HP305) should finalize the choice. So far, the Kawai has the lead.

On paper (do a Search on the actions/sound)…
Among consoles I wouldn’t get a Clavinova without the GH3, for a GH take a closer look at the YDP160/161 (or P155 for a slab piano). There is indeed a difference from the GHS (black and white with a P85/CLP340), with a closer gap between GH-E/GH3 by the forum.
On the other hand (again, from my reading), the AHAIV-F is above the GHS and is more comparable to the GH-E/GH3.
As for a Clavinova/GH3 my minimum would be a CLP340… a ‘big’ jump from the CLP330… not too far from the CLP370… with the CLP380 outclassing itself on price – again on paper, and subjectively.

Good luck.

P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by GasGuzz
Among consoles I wouldn’t get a Clavinova without the GH3, for a GH take a closer look at the YDP160/161 (or P155 for a slab piano).

Did I understand you right that a YDP160/161/P155 with GH is superior to a Clavinova with GH?

G
G
No, it is comparable.

L
L
Originally Posted by GasGuzz
Among consoles I wouldn’t get a Clavinova without the GH3, for a GH take a closer look at the YDP160/161 (or P155 for a slab piano).

Did I understand you right that a YDP160/161/P155 with GH is superior to a Clavinova with GH?
I think what he means is that getting a YDP160/161/P155 is cheaper than a Clavinova with the same results.

Online Content
phillie, the CLP-320 and ES6 may be comparable in terms of price, however in my opinion they are geared towards different uses.

As you are no doubt aware, the CLP-320 is a console type DP, with integrated stand and three pedals - it is not a portable instrument.

The ES6 on the other hand, is a stage piano. An optional stand and three pedal unit is available, however this instrument is really intended to be portable.

In which case, may I suggest you consider the Kawai CN23. This is a console type DP with an integrated stand and three pedals, and features a superior piano sound and keyboard action compared to the ES6.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Kawai James, thank you for your advice.

I will definitely have a look at the CN23.

Originally Posted by Lunatic
I think what he means is that getting a YDP160/161/P155 is cheaper than a Clavinova with the same results.

The P155 and YDP 161 are indeed cheaper, but the ydp 160 has almost the same price as the clp 320. But the ydp definitely looks like a good alternative so far. Will try it out at the store too

Online Content
phillie, for the sake of balance, I should point out that Roland and Casio also offer console type digital pianos within your budget.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
hello again!
It has been a long time since my last post, but I had been busy / away on vacation.
Anyway,
after some hours of testing pianos at the music store, I finally decided to go for the Yamaha CLP-320. Out of all DPs in this price range, I liked its sound and touch the most. My new baby should be delivered on wednesday (damn, I can't wait :D)

I want to say thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice.

I also have one more question regarding recording the CLP 320 and transferring the recorded music to my PC.It will be my first experience recording a digital piano so i'm completely clueless about it. After some research I have found that the CLP 320 doesn't offer a big choice in terms of recording as it has only 2 headphone outputs and a midi in/out.

As far as I have understood, transferring midi to my pc via a midi to USB interface wouldn't be an option, since midi isn't actually "sound" , but just notes.

Another option would be connecting the piano's headphone out to my PC's line in, but how good will the sound be?

Are there any other options? I thought about getting a good microphone and use it for recording, but it would be a problem because I live near a railroad, trains are passing by every 15 minutes so the noise would disturb the recording.

Please help me!

Last edited by phillie; 07/17/10 01:39 PM.
J
J
Glad you bought the CLP320, I used to own the CLP220. It's not a high end DP but good enough.

For the recording, the better way for 320 is get a Midi to USB cable and a virtual piano for recording. The MIDI cable can output the signal, then virtual piano software take over the job and selected the best sampled sound from the database. There are many virtual piano software on the Internet, based on our members' recommendations, I'd say Galaxy Vintage Piano D should be the best choice. There is a similar topic regards to this, take a look at post here.
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...ge%20the%20DP%20sounds?.html#Post1474980

I never try to connect my DP's headphone to my computer, I don't have the propriety cable to do so. But listen to the sample from Vintage D, it's definitely better than CLP's on board chip samples.

Let's enjoy playing the piano.
Yamaha Avant-grand N2
Galaxy Vintage D + Vienna Grand
P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the Advice James Q!

I read some comments and reviews about Galaxy Vintage Piano D and it seems to be one of the best softwares out there, but for me it is too expensive at the moment ( have spent everything on my piano laugh . Speaking of which, I received my CLP 320 today. Can't remember the last time I was excited like that when unboxing the DP.

The assembling took me about 1 hour. So far I am very happy with it, except for one downside - and, like I already mentioned in my previous post, it is recording your played music! there is no slot for a flash storage device to save your recorded songs and neither are there Line out jacks.

So either I can use a midi to usb interface or an audio cable to connect the headphones out to my pc. I tried following this guide http://www.pianoclues.com/how-to-record-piano/ but it just won't work for me.

I still don't understand,which is the best option:
1. connecting headphones out to line in
2. connecting headphones out to mic in

I tried both variants but there is still a lot of clipping in the sound, although i'm setting my piano's volume control almost to 0 and my pc's recording volume to 20%.

I keep wondering if the problem may lie in my audio cable. It's a 1/8 stereo audio cable.
Here's a photo of it.
[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Maybe upgrading the cable could solve the problem?

Last edited by phillie; 07/21/10 02:48 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I still don't understand,which is the best option:
1. connecting headphones out to line in
2. connecting headphones out to mic in

Option 1, definitely. Not sure why you are getting clipping though. To get the best signal to noise ratio you generally want the piano volume up fairly high.

You might want to invest in a USB or Firewire sound interface, which would give you more control over I/O gain and signal routing, and might also include a MIDI interface. There are a lot of really lame ones out there though, you have to shop very carefully for these products. If I needed one right now I'd probably go with the Presonus FireStudio Mobile:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuMobile/

P
phillie Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by dewster

Option 1, definitely. Not sure why you are getting clipping though. To get the best signal to noise ratio you generally want the piano volume up fairly high.

You might want to invest in a USB or Firewire sound interface, which would give you more control over I/O gain and signal routing, and might also include a MIDI interface.

I try to keep both, piano volume and recording volume low and that way there seems to be less clipping.
But if to follow your suggestion, should i keep piano volume high and mic recording volume low or both high?

As about the interface, I agree that it might be a big help, but it's costly and I try to solve the problem with the least expenses possible.

Last edited by phillie; 07/21/10 03:38 PM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I would think that running a headphone signal turned all the way up into a 1/8" line in would overload it. You might try plugging your headphones into your computer and monitor your piano playing that way. Play some fff stuff and dynamically adjust the volume on both the piano and the volume applet of your computer while listening for both a full robust signal as well as distortion.

S
S
I tried a CLP-320 today and the action was too heavy for my taste. I like the Roland FP-7 and Yamaha CP5, how would you say the ES 6 compares to them in terms of keyboard action?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission