Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1441035 - 05/21/10 03:01 PM 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
The following is my re-post of a non-working post that gives a browser error message.

I'm at my wit's end. It seems every time I check my email lately I get another message of, "We're going to be withdrawing (fill in name of student here) for the summer. We'll see you in September."

From the look of things, my teaching income, which sadly is something both my husband and I depend on to pay both studio rent and the normal kind, stands to be reduced at least 50%. I've been doing this for a while and every summer it's the same. People really flake out.

Any suggestions of what to do about this impending problem? Does anyone have a suggestion for adapting tuition structure to avoid this issue? Is there anything I can say or do within the realm of tact about the whole desertion thing?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1441038 - 05/21/10 03:06 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
ILoveMusicTheory Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Thank you for the strategies that other teachers posted on my other (non-working) post. Especially good was the suggestion to make the best lesson times available only to those who continue over the summer. I will definitely put most if not all the strategies suggested into effect.

I'm going to try and take the high road/positive approach by advertising as much as possible to get new students and rewarding those who are loyally continuing over the summer with coupons and free group classes.

More suggestions and advice is welcomed--I know I'm not the only one out there facing a severe loss of students this summer.

#1441047 - 05/21/10 03:32 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
link that works to the original post link

#1441240 - 05/21/10 08:37 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
ChrisA Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, California
I posted this under a different thread. From a parents perspective, they are ding the right thing. The typical policy is that a student signs up for weekly lessions at a given time and pays for all of them even if they have to cancel. In the summer the parent can't commit to this kind of ridged schedule.

Why not adapt and allow ad-hoc scheduling? Allow students to pay for just one lesson. Allows apointments to me made like in a dentist office.

The root of the problem is that the parent is required to pay in advance but s/he has no way to know more then a few days in advance when they come in for a lesson. So the parent drops to avoid the risk.

To fix the problem you need to give the parent some other way to avoid the risk.

#1441283 - 05/21/10 09:52 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: ILoveMusicTheory]
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: northern California
Do you have a policy stating that students who commit to summer lessons have a spot reserved for them in the fall?

#1441286 - 05/21/10 09:53 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: ChrisA]
Andy Platt Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
I'm not sure the dental office analogy works well.

You need to decide whether if you allow people to sign up for ad-hoc lessons during the summer (with a small markup over the "fixed" plan) you will win or lose overall. I suspect those who can commit will, those who can't will be happy at the chance to get some lessons and you will all win.

(Views of a student, not a teacher).

Kawai K3

#1441360 - 05/22/10 12:59 AM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: Andy Platt]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I have required my students to schedule (and pay in advance) for a minimum of 6 lessons out of an 11-week summer. Most parents have their vacation schedules planned ahead of time anyway and are trying to schedule in other summer activities to fill their kids' time. In the summer I teach 2 full weekdays (Tue and Wed), avoiding Mon and Fri when short trips to the beach are more likely to happen. Students who sign up for summer lessons will have preference for the Fall. One student was going to be overseas the entire summer; the mom gave me a check for the 6 lessons anyway to be assured that her child would have a preferred spot in September.

You might also change your whole calendar, including the way you talk initially with parents (particularly new parents), to get them thinking from the beginning that piano is an ongoing commitment for the ENTIRE year, not just the school year.

#1441557 - 05/22/10 10:37 AM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: dumdumdiddle]
Ann in Kentucky Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Kentucky
My policy states that if a students stops lessons, there is a re-enrollment fee (equal to one month's tuition) upon return. The exception to this is during June and July. If they take 4 lessons over June/July then the re-enrollment fee is waived. When someone stops lessons, their lesson time is not reserved for them.

I just had an email from a parent whose stepson will be spending 7 weeks this summer with his mother in another state. Instead of dropping for summer she asked if her 5 year old daughter could take his place...and it would serve as trial period to see if they want the daughter to take lessons yet. That way she keeps the lesson time, avoids the re-enrollment fee and got motivated to start her 5 year old in lessons. So this policy is REALLY working! I am delighted!!

"She played upon her music box
a fancy air by chance,
And straightaway all her polka dots
began a lively dance."
-- Peter Newell

#1441664 - 05/22/10 02:14 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: Ann in Kentucky]
danshure Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
If anyone wishes to read my full contract it is here;

www.evolvingmusicedu.com/PDF's/evolving_music_contract_may_2010.pdf

I've just revised it, as its my first summer teaching out of my home with a full schedule (I used to teach at a school).

As far as what to do about summer lessons, I am trying a little Duets program. I'm making it short (4 weeks) and open to anyone in the area (not just my students). This way if a student of mine has a friend that also does piano, maybe they'll sign up together.

You can see complete info about it at;

www.evolvingmusicedu.com/summer-music-programs.html

I've never tried something like it before, so I'll let you all know if it actually works!

#1441732 - 05/22/10 05:15 PM Re: 50 Percent of Students Dropping For Summer RE-POST [Re: danshure]
Dorrie Offline

My teacher gives lessons all year round. He is more flexible with make-ups during the summer.

My daughter's (cello) teacher requires a few (4 or 6 - I forget) lessons scheduled over the summer (mid June through after Labor Day), however, students scheduling more lessons get them at a significant discount. Last summer my daughter and 2 of her friends who also play took several lessons a week for 3 weeks. Teachers often think this would be great for small children, but it also has advantages for busy middle/high schoolers as well. A lot of bad habits can be unlearned and good progress made with extra lessons/coaching.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, AmateurBob, 41 invisible), 1511 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153513 Topics
2249583 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Insanity
by Polyphonist
3 minutes 55 seconds ago
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
7 minutes 48 seconds ago
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
47 minutes 7 seconds ago
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Today at 10:17 PM
Chopin Op28 No 20
by Arizona Sage
Today at 10:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission